Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Tortured Poets Department sounds like a Morrissey album, so I’m expecting Taylor Swift to go full Moz on the album.

Well maybe only half Moz. I don’t Swift going alt right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Just vegetarian then?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

In 20 years time Taylor Swift will also be replaced by Rick Astley for a Glastonbury set.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 6, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
okay

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
in other news, Megan Thee Stallion's anti-Nicki Minaj (and also just like, anti-haters) diss track "HISS" just hit number 1

it has the amazing line of "These hoes don't be mad at Megan, these hoes mad at Megan's Law", taking a shot at Nicki's sex offender husband

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Junpei posted:

in other news, Megan Thee Stallion's anti-Nicki Minaj (and also just like, anti-haters) diss track "HISS" just hit number 1

it has the amazing line of "These hoes don't be mad at Megan, these hoes mad at Megan's Law", taking a shot at Nicki's sex offender husband

Hiss is WAY better than Nicki’s song

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Someone please sell me on a Taylor Swift album to listen all the way through. It can be a compilation album. This isn't a challenge. I want to like it and there's probably an album I would like but I don't know where to start.

Pop wise I like Lana Del Rey, Hayley Willians, and Carly Rae Jepsen.

e: I liked New Romantics but not 1989 so much

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 7, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bright Bart posted:

Someone please sell me on a Taylor Swift album to listen all the way through. It can be a compilation album. This isn't a challenge. I want to like it and there's probably an album I would like but I don't know where to start.

Pop wise I like Lana Del Rey, Hayley Willians, and Carly Rae Jepsen.

Have you listened to Folklore yet? I don't vibe with most of her stuff but I really like that one. Doesn't really go with Carly Rey or Hayley Williams, but it is pretty Lana-like at times.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, Folklore is exceptional and a great starting point. Midnights is really great, too. Those two albums were how I got into her music.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1989 is still Taylor's best album but Folklore is a huge shift from her previous work and kickstarted the Taynessance

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

1989 and Folklore are my two favorite Taylor albums and it's not even close.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just do folklore and evermore and ignore the rest of her discography imo

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As someone who is not really a Taylor swift fan I think Lover, Folklore, Evermore and Midnights are good

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'd probably pick Midnights for you, it's got Jack Antonoff all over, who's done a tonne with Lana and a bit with Carly, an actual Lana feature, and covers a decent spectrum of poppy pop to sad pop.

I don't think she's ever really done anything as interesting and different as Hayley's solo pop stuff, but if you like the pop rock Paramore type stuff there's a bunch in Taylor's earlier discography. Red would be my secondary recommendation for earlier Taylor, it's got some all time greats, a decent spectrum of full pop stuff (WANEGBT, 22, IKYWT), pop rock (State of Grace, Red, Holy Ground), her best songwriting ever (All Too Well), and a whole bunch of other fun singer/songwriter type songs spanning the emotional spectrum. It's mostly post-country so you don't have to worry too much about her Nashville accent or songs about trucks and small town high school football if that's not your thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Evermore/folklore are my 1/2 now but Speak Now is still best of the rest. It’s all her writing, got a lot of very quintessential TS songs and multiple fan-favorite album tracks like Enchanted and Long Live.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
She has tons of good songs just listen to them all.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Me: “I’ve made you a playlist with every Taylor swift song you’ll ever need”

You: “why is it just Champagne Problems, Soon You’ll Get Better, and epiphany repeated thirty times? And why is it called ‘get ready to sob bitch’?”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DC Murderverse posted:

Me: “I’ve made you a playlist with every Taylor swift song you’ll ever need”

You: “why is it all of them?”

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In related news, the Eras tour film, including some extras that weren't in the cinema, is going on disney plus next month, for anyone that doesn't have £800 or so spare.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
listen to reputation cos it’s the best taylor album

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

listen to reputation cos it’s the best taylor album

This is true, even though it’s got some real stinkers on it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Listen she hasn’t made a bad album since before she was… checks notes 17? Jesus she’s had a run. Some albums are stronger than others, but honestly her output of quality is just… nuts.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Hiss is WAY better than Nicki’s song
If I was going to have a huge extended public meltdown I probably wouldn't release a track that sounds like it was made by a teenager with a loose grasp of song structure using a pirated copy of Fruity Loops, but that's just me.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 8, 2024

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What I respect is that she is constantly releasing music. I’m tired of getting into an artist and then waiting 5 years for a middling release. Don’t like a Taylor Swift album, guess what, in six months, she’ll put out something completely different!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/TGkMYMxi-hw?si=OQK4xX3EzolrHt-4

Kacey gonna hand to hand fight Taylor for that Grammy next year

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/TGkMYMxi-hw?si=OQK4xX3EzolrHt-4

Kacey gonna hand to hand fight Taylor for that Grammy next year

I don’t actually believe she ever rolled out of bed and hit a gravity bong.

But emmylou harris had the superior deeper well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v8fOzb0m41c

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I don’t actually believe she ever rolled out of bed and hit a gravity bong.

Lol have you ever heard of Kacey Musgraves before? She has multiple songs about weed, buttloads of pictures of her smoking, and right now if you have more money than sense she is selling rolling papers named after one of her songs (“Slow Burn”) on her official website

I absolutely believe that someone who loves weed and went through an emotional divorce spent a few months waking and baking every day

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Dan Auerbach was Lana’s best producer and i’ll never back down

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

^burtle posted:

Dan Auerbach was Lana’s best producer and i’ll never back down

This is correct because Ultraviolence is her best album and imo it’s not particularly close

edit: born to die is my second favorite but I think it’s more influential than truly classic at this point.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's true and you should say it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol have you ever heard of Kacey Musgraves before? She has multiple songs about weed, buttloads of pictures of her smoking, and right now if you have more money than sense she is selling rolling papers named after one of her songs (“Slow Burn”) on her official website

I absolutely believe that someone who loves weed and went through an emotional divorce spent a few months waking and baking every day

You didn’t read what I said, I know half her songs are about smoking weed. I’m sure she got high every morning. The line about a gravity bong was put in for laughs and it’s fake.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
idk I can believe it

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

idk I can believe it

The magic of pop music

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve only had one gravity bong in my life and it hosed me up so hard I ran out of a McDonald’s at 2am

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve only had one gravity bong in my life and it hosed me up so hard I ran out of a McDonald’s at 2am

You hit a gravity bong in a sink at McDonald’s? Was it in the bathroom or you working there?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love Kacey but her new stuff is bland. I did like that song she was featured in last year though. I guess we’ll always have golden hour..

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alicia Keys will be at Usher's half-time show, so they're absolutely gonna do My Boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

He is also almost certain to do the Official Usher Song of White People, Yeah!