Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Okay thanks, this is reassuring! I think I was wondering if just being in those social spaces and seeing other kids for 9 hours a week for school would be best.
If you step back a bit, this is the fundamental debate of "should I be a stay at home parent or send my kids to daycare?" which, despite the baggage and generational guilt that's often heaped onto this discussion (usually on the side of "you should stay at home") it turns out that both are viable options. Plus kids are pretty adaptable and you don't really need to worry about min-maxing their developmental experiences.

Also a fair number of us had similarly-aged toddlers perpetually stuck at home during COVID and they turned out fine.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Our only friends with a kid around my son's age moved states recently, so it's also just been a general anxiety because we don't have other parent friends for playdates now. Making friends is hard.
This gets easier as the kids get into the 3-4 range and actually make "friends" at daycare and do birthday parties together and things. The present situation is only temporary and you'll be fine come the fall, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Renegret posted:

Took kiddo to his 5 year checkup yesterday. He completely flunked his hearing test.
I actually wonder if those hearing tests are diagnostic if you don't already have concerns about your kiddo's hearing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I actually wonder if those hearing tests are diagnostic if you don't already have concerns about your kiddo's hearing.

When my wife was in 1st grade, she was in the car with her parents. Mom pointed out the window and said, look honey, cows!

Wife couldn't see any cows. The cows were everywhere. They got her eyes checked the following week,she was practically blind and somehow nobody noticed for 6-7 years.

I'd assume the hearing test is basic screening to prevent a similar situation. Seeing him fail the test made me question all the times he'd ignore me and I thought he was just being a butt.

(I'm still convinced he's fine but we're keeping the ENT appointment just to be safe)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My husband has a similar story. He was maybe 7 or 8 when he got glasses and on the way home from getting them his mom said he was super quiet and just looking around and she asked him what was wrong and he said "Mom, did you know the trees have leaves!!!!" And she realized oh my God this kid hasn't been able to see for years.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
My husband and I both have similar stories, although with me, we knew I was blind because I couldn't see the board or sheet music when playing the violin but my parents didn't take me to get glasses until the summer after fifth grade for... reasons?

Our two year old is already nearsighted, but thankfully loves her glasses. Wondering how long before the baby needs them too.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
We knew we were good on the eyesight worry when she could pick out airplanes farther away than we could. Heck, her sight might be too good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I love how universal that story is. I'm slightly short sighted, so I can function without glasses, but it's much nicer being able to see things clearly beyond a few metres. I didn't get glasses until I was 26, probably with a similar cow catalyst. I remember looking at the stars for the first time with glasses and them not being little blurry smears.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah my mom was telling me exactly the same story about her childhood

Makes me a little sad to think just how much we're missing. How many beautiful things are blurry smears my brain categorizes as background elements?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My "getting glasses" story is that I could see fine until 5th grade. And then one day, I realized I was constantly squinting to see things on the chalkboard at school, and I came home and told my parents that I needed glasses. I don't recall having to squint before then, it's like near-sightedness hit me overnight.

So far neither kiddo needs them, but I imagine it's only a matter of time as my wife and I both need glasses.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I found out about needing glasses with the test to get a driver's license.

My son's pediatrician had some iphone app that assess the diffraction of the "red eye" from using a flash and if it is out of tolerance refers you to a ophthalmologist. He's +8.75/+9.75, so we would have found out sooner rather than later. Yikes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It was 3rd grade for me when my teacher pointed out I had to walk up to the board to read any assignments. Got glasses the next week.

My vision didn’t stabilize until ~25, so every few years I’d need a prescription upgrade and suddenly oh hey look at all the leaves and details I’d been missing for a year or two.

Just based on genetics we’re going to be on sharp lookout for vision problems and any sinus issues with allergies. The first breath after getting my sinuses cleared out via ENT surgery was like getting glasses x100. I’m hoping we catch any issues with my kids before their sinus passages are clogged with gross polyps and such.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I was wondering a bit about this recently, since we took a trip to the zoo shortly after our guy's first birthday. He didn't seem to look at the animals much, but it's hard to tell if that's just because he doesn't have context for what's going on.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Eeyo posted:

I was wondering a bit about this recently, since we took a trip to the zoo shortly after our guy's first birthday. He didn't seem to look at the animals much, but it's hard to tell if that's just because he doesn't have context for what's going on.

Yeah I don't think the Zoo was for the kid, more for the parents until he was almost 1.5, 2.

Kiddo had his first swim lesson today and only cried when it was time to get out of the pool.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Spending my usual 13-13.30 on a Saturday sitting in my car while my son has his piano lesson. Normally followed by driving to Asda and sitting in Costa for 2 hours while he does coding club, but not today as we have friends coming.

Same time my wife is with my daughter at her netball match, and has had to say no to daughter's ice skating practice tomorrow morning due to aforementioned friends staying over. Sometimes there are two netball things. gently caress knows if my daughters harp lesson is on later, but at least for that the teacher comes to us.

In short, weekends get chock-a-block when kids get older and into various activities. At least I can get a meditation session and some idle surfing done during piano, and then some decent progress in my book in Costa during coding. Assuming there isn't some twat having a loud conversation via his speakerphone on the table next to me.

Edit: oh hey, it was double netball today. School house matches and then a match for her club. Three hours of netball

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 10, 2024

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Saturday afternoon and fevers are starting to pop up :mildpanic:

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
What the gently caress is it with illnesses these days? I was always promised that the kids would be healthier as they got older. My five-year-old has had scarlet fever (aka strep + rash), RSV, and pinkeye in the past month. I’ve been sick more often than not since New Years. And now that the 5-year-old is finally healthy, my husband has finally gotten sick, alongside myself and the toddler.

Fortunately the 5-year-old has gotten into aquatic life, and we’ve just introduced Planet Earth / Blue Planet. Binging David Attenborough feels like I’ve gone back to college, except instead of mind-altering substances it’s a fever and sleep deprivation.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Parenting thread: instead of mind-altering substances it’s a fever and sleep deprivation.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

in_cahoots posted:

What the gently caress is it with illnesses these days? I was always promised that the kids would be healthier as they got older. My five-year-old has had scarlet fever (aka strep + rash), RSV, and pinkeye in the past month. I’ve been sick more often than not since New Years. And now that the 5-year-old is finally healthy, my husband has finally gotten sick, alongside myself and the toddler.

Fortunately the 5-year-old has gotten into aquatic life, and we’ve just introduced Planet Earth / Blue Planet. Binging David Attenborough feels like I’ve gone back to college, except instead of mind-altering substances it’s a fever and sleep deprivation.

I wish there was a local tracker for what specific strains of whatever are going around. I’d love to know what’s given my entire family a 2 week sore throat, nausea and snot. It’s not Covid or the flu, but I think it would be interesting to know it’s super crazy cold variant x22.3, and literally every person with kids in a 5 mile radius has it.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone bought a busy board they really like? Too many options, hard to tell what is and isn’t garbage! Kid is 13 months old

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sweeper posted:

Has anyone bought a busy board they really like? Too many options, hard to tell what is and isn’t garbage! Kid is 13 months old

We splurged and got our almost 1 year old this one its pretty rad and both she and her 3 year old sister like it. Around Christmas it was closer to 120 bucks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Today was exhausting. Not only did my daughter want to make cinnamon buns, she wanted to make an INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO on how to make cinnamon buns.

We started with our dough on a sunny afternoon, and now here I am at bedtime doing final film edits.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
don't forget to like and subscribe

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Today was exhausting. Not only did my daughter want to make cinnamon buns, she wanted to make an INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO on how to make cinnamon buns.

We started with our dough on a sunny afternoon, and now here I am at bedtime doing final film edits.

You only think they're final. Wait until you get her notes back tomorrow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:negative: why does it have to be true

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I wish there was a local tracker for what specific strains of whatever are going around. I’d love to know what’s given my entire family a 2 week sore throat, nausea and snot. It’s not Covid or the flu, but I think it would be interesting to know it’s super crazy cold variant x22.3, and literally every person with kids in a 5 mile radius has it.

A world where that kind of testing was done and used to expedite evaluation and treatment for those exposed would be great. “Oh, yeah, we had two cases of strep at the daycare so your child with a fever may have that” instead of the time we had to wait two days after the first appointment with an increasingly unwell child before they tested for strep.

We once got a lab result on a specific strain (I’m not entirely sure why they did it) of a non-COVID-19 coronavirus.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 11, 2024

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We are trying a new bedtime routine and it’s been going well. I used to have my 4yo watch a “wind-down” TV show while I put the 2yo to bed, then would put her to bed after. However it started taking FOREVER because the 2yo wants to babble and make noise, then the 4yo wants a million stories and to talk about everything they’ve ever thought of.

Now both the kids are going to bed at the same time, and we are listening to Studio Ghibli for Sleep on Spotify, and it’s been going so well I can hardly believe it. It’s cut over an hour off bedtime, which means I get to go to sleep an hour earlier too. Now if they would only both sleep through the night consistently…..

Anyway I highly recommend Studio Ghibli for Sleep if your kids like calming piano music.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Next step when they are old enough is a bedtime checklist for them to do everything themselves within a set, reasonable amount of time. Beat the timer, add a sticker to your chart. Get enough stickers and you get a 30 min screen time ticket for a weeknight.

Took about 4 months of that and they eventually decided they didn’t care about stickers at all and just get ready when we tell them to, it’s glorious.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Got a somewhat unnecessary X-ray today but the battery drawer was open and kiddo has an MRI tomorrow so we aren’t taking chances.

Anyway mods please rename me to Moderate Stool Load, tia

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Okay I scrape the thinnest of all possible layers of jelly onto my son's toast, how does he manifest huge globs of jelly all over the place

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Okay I scrape the thinnest of all possible layers of jelly onto my son's toast, how does he manifest huge globs of jelly all over the place

Hey if he can replicate it with other grape based products you’re gonna be in business later.

Unrelated - watching your kid go under from sedation gas is An Experience I’d rather not repeat.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Valentines come in packs of 32. There are 35 friends in my kid’s class, including them.

On the plus side, my son just transitioned from the toddler room to the preschool room last week, so the valentines will have both of their names on it. Hooray for having two kids in the same class!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

truavatar posted:

I'm traveling for work in a few weeks (Sun-Thurs) and I need some ideas on how to ease the pain for my wife. She's a stay-at-home parent for our 1.5yo and 4yo and it's gonna be rough. 4yo goes to preschool MWF in the afternoon, but the little one is still all hands on deck. My folks are in the area and can help out a bit here and there, but can't stay the whole time or anything like that.

Just looking for some ideas!

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies to this post of mine from a few days ago!

devmd01 posted:

Make it clear that she is not a bad mom if she throws them in front of a screen more than usual. You use every available tool to survive in that scenario.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I've traveled regularly for work the entirety of my kids' lives. As others have mentioned, try to help prep things as much as possible for your wife. Do not put any expectations on your wife while you're gone. Make sure that she knows it's totally okay if you come home to a house that looks like a tornado hit it. Shower her praises when you get back and take care of the kids for the majority of the weekend or whatever to make it up to her.

Most importantly, enjoy that sweet freedom and don't feel guilty.
These are a good points - she can be hard on herself sometimes, so it's definitely worth specifically mentioning that any tool to survive the week is a good one - from ice cream to bubble baths to movies - and that post-tornado is a totally reasonable state for our place to be in at the end of it all!

bolind posted:

Can you prep some meals or green light a bunch of Uber Eats or something like that? Make sure the laundry is somewhat done before you head out? Gas up the car? Make sure consumables are stocked up? Anything that can be done preemptively.

Also, babysitters are great even if they just come over and can be an extra set of hands or entertain one kid for ten minutes.
Smart about being pro-active on laundry and food prep in the days leading up - we make pretty much everything from scratch, so having loaves of bread dough frozen and ready to bake, soups, lasagna, and whatever else will be super helpful. Helping her avoid the grocery store while I'm gone will be clutch.

On babysitters - our preschool is at a university and the early-childhood education students work in the classrooms as aides - they gave out a list of them at the beginning of the year so parents can also hire them as babysitters. I'll be making some calls.

Rooster Brooster posted:

I'm sure you thought of it, but: does your preschool allow drop-ins on non-standard days for a fee? Adding a couple extra days that week might be worth it.

Past that... take the following Friday off so you can give her a well-earned break?
I don't think our preschool does this, but it's a good idea and I'll find out for sure. But yes, I'm definitely taking the Friday off and being full-time Dad for the long weekend. I also suggested she plan something nice for herself for that weekend like a massage or a ski day or something.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

When did my 2 1/2 year old become such a big whiner, good lord. Shes testing my patience with non stop whining in the mornings. I cant even hardly understand her its just whining. Shes regressed so much since we had our 2nd kid a few weeks ago.

I know its pretty normal to have that happen but good god its trying.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We’ve been focusing on potty training still and are also clear about the correct labels for anatomy. So my three year old recently really grasped the word for penis and is pretty excited to talk about it.

However this became concerning and frightening at bedtime when he complained about “my penis hurts.”

I was mid-jog when my wife recalled me to troubleshoot penis problems as the official penis haver.

Foreskin problem? Diaper rash/chafing? Did somebody hurt him?

I get back and he has avoided bedtime for 20 minutes by standing pantsless in his room and pointing at his penis.

“What’s wrong buddy?”
“My penis hurts”
“Did something happen to it?”

I look at it, it looks perfectly fine. I have been staring at this drat thing more than my own lately due to all of the potty training.

“Yeah”
“What happened? Did something hit it?”
“Yeah a fly hit it.”
“A fly?”
“Then after the fly, a spider hit it.”
“A fly and a spider?”
“Then the spider turned into a dog. A spider dog hit it.”
“Ok let’s put some cream on it to make it feel better.”

Hit that thing with some diaper cream and it was fully healed. It was a bedtime filibuster, apparently inspired by the Little Old Lady Who Swallowed the Fly.

He has tried pointing to his foot, knee, butt, tummy, head and said “it hurts” to delay bedtime before. We were initially concerned but when he lists every single body part he knows and then is perfectly fine 5 minutes later we realize it’s a trick. Penis clearly got the biggest reaction.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

truavatar posted:

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies to this post of mine from a few days ago!

If you can, I would also try to minimize exposure to illness in the few days leading up to your trip. Solo parenting sucks when either the kid(s) or the parent is sick.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Just read How to Talk So Little Kids Will Listen: a survival guide to life with children ages 2-7 which was surprisingly useful. I’m not usually one for parenting or self help books but this came as a trusted recommendation and I’m glad I finally read it some two years later. Some of the essential points are to name what your child is feeling and all feelings are valid while some actions need to be restricted, with a lot of specifics, personal stories of triumphs and failures from lots of parents, and scenes from the parenting group the authors run. I found it funny, engaging and highly useful. Tried a few things out with my four-year-old (ie being playful when he was resisting brushing his teeth, using a funny voice for the toothbrush to say things like “oh I’m so hungry, I need to eat what’s on Asher’s teeth, please let me in” which actually worked amazingly well). I found it reassuringly non-judgmental about completely losing your poo poo with these small impossible humans too. Really liked the perspective that the great thing about parenting is you almost always get another chance to try again. Anyway for what it’s worth I’m glad I read it and highly recommend.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

When did my 2 1/2 year old become such a big whiner, good lord.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

we had our 2nd kid a few weeks ago.

I think I've got an inkling :v:

space uncle posted:

He has tried pointing to his foot, knee, butt, tummy, head and said “it hurts” to delay bedtime before. We were initially concerned but when he lists every single body part he knows and then is perfectly fine 5 minutes later we realize it’s a trick. Penis clearly got the biggest reaction.

oh my god my 2.25y/o daughter has started doing the same thing recently and combined with the fact that's she's got minor eczema and she occasionally doesn't poop for 3 days and so has a tummyache, meaning that there are occasionally real reasons for her to have things hurting, I'm going to lose my mind with the sudden bedtime filibustering

We've gotten a bit better at pre-empting things and shutting them down, which has helped expose the core issue that she's in prime separation anxiety time and just needs that extra bit of attention at bedtime, which is wildly annoying when you're playing "how can I help you feel loved and safe" whack-a-mole but at least is understandable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Last night:

Kiddo: I need to go poop, can you pause the cartoon
Me: sure

I haven't changed a poopy diaper in like six weeks it's glorious

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I would say I miss it, but then I would be lying.

No poppy diapers for several months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m insanely jealous. My son still says “I need to poop” when he, in fact, already pooped his diaper. We just can’t seem to drive home that he needs to tell us before he poops.