Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Strolling through, uh, Inwit?

I can hear this mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I can hear this mini.

Is it this, it better be this https://youtu.be/6iFbuIpe68k

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Final Hearthkyn Warrior done! I tried out some woad facepaint on her, which is kind of not in keeping with Votann's having a more Norse origin but woad is cool, so...

My camera didn't want to focus on this...

That's my full squad of Hearthkyn done! I gave myself until my leave starts to finish them and then smashed this one out really quick, so I might give the Einhyr armor a go over the weekend

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Final Hearthkyn Warrior done! I tried out some woad facepaint on her, which is kind of not in keeping with Votann's having a more Norse origin but woad is cool, so...

My camera didn't want to focus on this...

That's my full squad of Hearthkyn done! I gave myself until my leave starts to finish them and then smashed this one out really quick, so I might give the Einhyr armor a go over the weekend

Dude got the nerf aesthetic.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My lgs doesn’t have Aethermatic Blue in stock and one of the guides I’m going to use for my Plague Marine calls for it to be used over brass (1:1 Agrax and Aether, followed by Sotek at rivets, then Nihilah).

Is there an alternative I could use? I have a bunch of teal Citadel paints.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I don't know what you own but this might help you find a nice substitute.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Professor Shark posted:

My lgs doesn’t have Aethermatic Blue in stock and one of the guides I’m going to use for my Plague Marine calls for it to be used over brass (1:1 Agrax and Aether, followed by Sotek at rivets, then Nihilah).

Is there an alternative I could use? I have a bunch of teal Citadel paints.

If you happen to have the v1.0 speedpaints plasmatic bolt is a pretty decent match. Failing that I'd be tempted to just use the agrax on its own and see how that looks in the end, Nihilakh Oxide generally does a very good job of verdigris on its own tbh.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014

Underworlds minis continue to be a real joy to paint.
Did have a few scares when I almost snapped the feet off a couple of times, spindly ankles on some of these boys.
I might want a brighter white for dry brushing, how's the coverage on Proacryl White?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Douche Phoenix posted:

I might want a brighter white for dry brushing, how's the coverage on Proacryl White?

good but if you haven't bought it yet, just buy a Liquitex or Golden or Windsor & Newton heavy body titanium white, especially for a nice white to drybrush with

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

good but if you haven't bought it yet, just buy a Liquitex or Golden or Windsor & Newton heavy body titanium white, especially for a nice white to drybrush with

I dunno, I have that liquitex titanium white and find the Pro acrylic bold titanium white to be better, except for dry brushing I guess

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mederlock posted:

I dunno, I have that liquitex titanium white and find the Pro acrylic bold titanium white to be better, except for dry brushing I guess

the heavy body, really? huh. i admittedly like thicker paints like VMC or Citadel Base but it's been consistently wonderful for me

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I decided to power through painting Lohith for Malifaux, so I can get to the fun minis in the keyword.
Still a WIP, since I need some non-opaque white to highlight the blue.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Love it! Nice job on the osl. Is that glazing or airbrush?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SiKboy posted:

If you happen to have the v1.0 speedpaints plasmatic bolt is a pretty decent match. Failing that I'd be tempted to just use the agrax on its own and see how that looks in the end, Nihilakh Oxide generally does a very good job of verdigris on its own tbh.

I asked about the Speedpaints and they do not carry them, though a couple looked like they would work.

I guess I’ll try the N Oxide- even though I own it, I haven’t used it much, so it might be all I need. I’ll think about the Sotek, which the guide recommends. Does it work well with it?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

nvm, I can't read. I mixed up mantis warrior green and striking scorpion green, because, I dunno why you would name two shades of green like that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Professor Shark posted:

I asked about the Speedpaints and they do not carry them, though a couple looked like they would work.

I guess I’ll try the N Oxide- even though I own it, I haven’t used it much, so it might be all I need. I’ll think about the Sotek, which the guide recommends. Does it work well with it?

I havent tried the Nihilakh over any particularly turquoise paints tbh, I usually just put it on over the copper/brass paint by itself. But you could try painting a bit of sprue with your brass paint, then try it with and without the paint you are considering as a replacement, see how you like it before you put it on an actual model.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Love it! Nice job on the osl. Is that glazing or airbrush?
Thanks! It's oil paints spread out with a brush.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

the heavy body, really? huh. i admittedly like thicker paints like VMC or Citadel Base but it's been consistently wonderful for me

I have the heavy body and soft body (my wife likes painting acrylic), but yeah thick paints aren't my preference, I guess. Like, it's good, I just found the Bold Titanium White had more control and a bit more opacity when you're carefully pulling it into a tight spot.

Admittedly, I am a terrible mini painter. It can likely be entirely attributed to a Skill Issue

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mederlock posted:

I have the heavy body and soft body (my wife likes painting acrylic), but yeah thick paints aren't my preference, I guess. Like, it's good, I just found the Bold Titanium White had more control and a bit more opacity when you're carefully pulling it into a tight spot.

Admittedly, I am a terrible mini painter. It can likely be entirely attributed to a Skill Issue

Once I found bold titanium white, I stopped using Liquitex white ink for zenithal. When the main reason for using ink over acrylics through an airbrush got solved, the ink stopped having appeal for me

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I have found that thinning Corax White with white ink does the trick for me in two coats, even over black

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mederlock posted:

I have the heavy body and soft body

Yeah, lockdown was tough on all of us.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Electric Hobo posted:

I decided to power through painting Lohith for Malifaux, so I can get to the fun minis in the keyword.
Still a WIP, since I need some non-opaque white to highlight the blue.

The light in this is just awesome, really well done!

I'm working on the grotmas gitz, and since I'm a slow painter, it's taking forever

Every paint session also ends with two dozen pots on the table, it's ridiculous! But man, what a fun model!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SiKboy posted:

:golfclap:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

:vince:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Done with big models for a while. This was a chore to finish under a deadline.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Coincidentally enough, Duncan released a video today where he paints verdigris using Luprecal Green, Kalabite Green, and not-Baharroth. I’m considering giving it a try, though it might be easier just to use the N. Oxide I have with some Medium.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Holy poo poo.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Man, this is too fantastic. I didn't need to see this level of exquisite work after struggling with a tank earlier. :shepicide:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
Man, I was just thinking that maybe I should stop being a dedicated lurker, and actually contribute to the thread by posting what I've been working on. Then Harvey Mantaco posts an absolutely beautiful masterpiece and I'm reconsidering having to follow that...

Well I guess someone has to do it. Here's what I've been working on, the Space Marine side of the Leviathan box. My photography skills are pretty lacking, so you'll have to bear with me on that one.

Image dump incoming:

And an awful group photo of the whole force on my kitchen table:

I also did a cool knight

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Wondermoose posted:

Man, I was just thinking that maybe I should stop being a dedicated lurker, and actually contribute to the thread by posting what I've been working on. Then Harvey Mantaco posts an absolutely beautiful masterpiece and I'm reconsidering having to follow that...

Well I guess someone has to do it. Here's what I've been working on, the Space Marine side of the Leviathan box. My photography skills are pretty lacking, so you'll have to bear with me on that one.

Your stuff is loving great, you put in good work.

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
Magos Executor Fetial

The first completed from my leviathan box.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Everyone should always post everything because everyone who paints a mini and shares it is awesome, and your paint job is awesome because you painted a thing, which is awesome.

When other people post things, never, ever think "my stuff isn't as good" or whatever. Only "ooh, I like that, I can steal that idea for my next bit!" or "in a few years, I'll be doing stuff that good!". It has been posted here before, but this is very good advice for all art related endeavors, and for life in general: Comparison is the thief of joy.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Wondermoose posted:

Image dump incoming:

The metallic green if fuckin baller. How did you do it?

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

The metallic green if fuckin baller. How did you do it?

Thanks! I stole the recipe from the Cult of Paint YouTube channel. The undercoat is a dark silver (I used ProAcryl Dark Silver) with a highlight of a bright silver (I use VMA Steel). Then, hit the highlight areas with GW Warp Lightning Contrast, and after that you hit the rest with GW Dark Angels Green Contrast. All is done with the airbrush.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Wondermoose posted:

Thanks! I stole the recipe from the Cult of Paint YouTube channel. The undercoat is a dark silver (I used ProAcryl Dark Silver) with a highlight of a bright silver (I use VMA Steel). Then, hit the highlight areas with GW Warp Lightning Contrast, and after that you hit the rest with GW Dark Angels Green Contrast. All is done with the airbrush.

That channel is really great. Also very relaxing, too. :v:

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
It's for a terrain project, but they're more models so putting them here. Shipwreck/salvage markers for Dystopian Wars out of some old models I had lying about. I think it's important that games depict units eating poo poo and dying, not just all proud and resplendent like show ponies, and this seemed a good place to do it.

A frigate that's been hulled below the waterline, leaking oil and capsizing.

Another frigate with a big hole in it that's sinking aft first.

A cruiser whose spine broke and separate sinking halves have drifted apart. Front part just has more shell holes.

Back half got slagged by some lasers. (I ran out of appropriately sized plastic bases, have to wait to do the froth around it)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lumpy posted:

Everyone should always post everything because everyone who paints a mini and shares it is awesome, and your paint job is awesome because you painted a thing, which is awesome.

When other people post things, never, ever think "my stuff isn't as good" or whatever. Only "ooh, I like that, I can steal that idea for my next bit!" or "in a few years, I'll be doing stuff that good!". It has been posted here before, but this is very good advice for all art related endeavors, and for life in general: Comparison is the thief of joy.

ok fine then

I just don't like taking photos is all

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jonny Nox posted:

ok fine then

I just don't like taking photos is all

that steam tank is rad

also it is surprisingly easy to rig up a budget photo setup, as explained in this highly technical diagram:

the important thing is to make sure the desk lamp is not too close so it doesn't wash out the mini (you can tape some baking paper to it to soften the light if you're feeling fancy but this is the budget option), making sure your phone isn't too close (just crop the image later), and tap-focusing your phone camera on the brightest part of the mini.

this was taken with basically that setup:

I was probably still too close with the camera because the tank barrel is out of focus. you can actually see reflections of the desk lamp and the white paper in the spraycan lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Obnoxious hipster take, I make it a point not to photograph or judge my minis in any kind of controlled optimal lighting environment (unless it's a competition submission). I paint for play, so I deliberately want to see and share what they look like as they will when we're gaming.