Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The Way of Kings - Part 12

"Aw, Damnation"

I can tell this book is about to pick up the pace intensely. And I am ready. This book has been so, so good. Holy poo poo. But seriously, when I saw, "Aw, Damnation," I started to laugh. This may as well read as, "Aw gently caress." :lol: It's time to read how they will fight this chasmfiend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

M_Gargantua posted:

Why you have to make Kaladin suffer though all that shipping is beyond me.

Imagening Kaladin being stuffed into a USPS flatrate box.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Way of Kings - Part 12

"Aw, Damnation"

I can tell this book is about to pick up the pace intensely. And I am ready. This book has been so, so good. Holy poo poo. But seriously, when I saw, "Aw, Damnation," I started to laugh. This may as well read as, "Aw gently caress." :lol: It's time to read how they will fight this chasmfiend.

The Way of Kings - Part 13

I want this entire chapter in anime form, live-action, or animated like Arcane, but I need this whole fight on film immediately. That was epic!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I want this entire chapter in anime form, live-action, or animated like Arcane, but I need this whole fight on film immediately. That was epic!

Same but the whole series

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Same but the whole series

I'm not sure if there is a director or studio I trust to make this whole series. Only on Part 14 but, whichever studio has the balls to try will be watched like a hawk to see if they make it correctly.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Apologies if this has been asked recently, but am I right in thinking that the fifth Stormlight Archive book that's due out this year is going to conclude the first arc of the series? And is it expected to be a similar (in scope/finality) "ending" to what the first three mistborn novels had?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Someone did part of this chapter in anime form as an “anime show intro”. It’s actually awful as an anime intro because it’s just all of the best scenes from the book shoved together lol, but cool that someone made it. Don’t try to find it yet because it’s just 100% spoilers

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Apologies if this has been asked recently, but am I right in thinking that the fifth Stormlight Archive book that's due out this year is going to conclude the first arc of the series? And is it expected to be a similar (in scope/finality) "ending" to what the first three mistborn novels had?

From what I’ve seen it seems like it will be (timeline spoilers, but nothing serious) less conclusive than mistborn. This is because the time skip will not be super long and many characters will be back for the second half. The story will likely reach a satisfying place to break after 5, but there will likely still be a lot of questions and things still to come unlike mistborn where it felt quite wrapped up after the first 3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I'm not sure if there is a director or studio I trust to make this whole series. Only on Part 14 but, whichever studio has the balls to try will be watched like a hawk to see if they make it correctly.

Ufotable doing a Stormlight anime with the same vibrant color and animation style they use for Demon Slayer would be top notch.

It'd also be really good for Warbreaker.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Words of Radiance Interlude 14

Taravangian's interlude might be the best interlude in the book thus far and maybe one of my favorite overall chapters in the book so far. Very little action but endless intrigue, mystery, and teases to chew on. What a great villain. I can't wait to see where this goes.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spoilers for Stormlight book 2+

The color correction really does not help the face, unfortunately, and it's not the best face I've ever done to begin with.

Sorry, Jasnah.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Spoilers for Stormlight book 2+

The color correction really does not help the face, unfortunately, and it's not the best face I've ever done to begin with.

Sorry, Jasnah.

I think it looks great!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I barely started WoR part 5 and I’m already hootin and hollerin!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah WoR was much faster paced than TWoK imo, having just read them both.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I barely started WoR part 5 and I’m already hootin and hollerin!

To reply to your earlier comment, Shallan's flashbacks are the second best in the series, IMO. I really came to like her character a lot more in my rereads. (Well "relistens" since I use audiobooks, but that word sounds weird)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I think it looks great!

Appreciated. I'm my own worst enemy and biggest hater, so.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

“I believe an apology is due.” -Gigachad Dalinar.

Still mulling over the start of WoR part 5 before my morning commute. Taravangian said (though he could be lying) that Szeth could surgebind because he was using an Honorblade. Now Dalinar has one. Assuming that honorblades allow surgebinding, ITS TIME FOR MY BOY TO SHINE.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Keep those predictions and reactions coming!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Keep those predictions and reactions coming!

Genuinely speaking, I think Dalinar might be my favorite character of any book ever.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Mordiceius posted:

Genuinely speaking, I think Dalinar might be my favorite character of any book ever.

He is a fantastic character, Oathbringer is loving INCREDIBLE for him.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius, what were your thoughts about Syl's death?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anshu posted:

Mordiceius, what were your thoughts about Syl's death?

Well she, like Jasnah, obviously isn’t dead. I feel like there is something more that Kaladin isn’t understanding about the situation. He’s basing it all on his support for Elhokar’s death - which means he has promises with both Moash and Dalinar. Maybe it is that simple, but I don’t believe it.

I just got to where Shallan reveals her power to Dalinar and FINALLY these people are talking to each other. Yet another reason WoK/WoR feels like two halves of one book.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Well she, like Jasnah, obviously isn’t dead. I feel like there is something more that Kaladin isn’t understanding about the situation. He’s basing it all on his support for Elhokar’s death - which means he has promises with both Moash and Dalinar. Maybe it is that simple, but I don’t believe it.

Not even when the Stormfather appeard to Kal in the chasm and yelled at him about it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anshu posted:

Not even when the Stormfather appeard to Kal in the chasm and yelled at him about it?

He's an rear end in a top hat. So I don't believe him or trust him.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm trying to avoid all of your name mentions in the sequels to TWoK so I don't spoil myself too much. Anyway, I just finished Part 23 of TWoK and...

I would die for Rock. Absolutely. 1000%.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mC8dsQJK7w

Me in the first 10 seconds: "Well gently caress you buddy"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Wow, rude.

And I mean Brandon with that.

But I agree with the general gist, new readers should start with Mistborn and not with Elantris.

For the rest, publication order is best!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

say what you will about sanderson but his ability to self-critique and realistically address his own flaws is surprisingly strong

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

pik_d posted:

I agree with you but also stopped a few seconds after that because he mentions Elantris would be first if you went by publication date. I say start with final empire and then go by publication date. Elantris and Hope of Elantris can come before mistborn era 2. Emperor's Soul can stand on its own.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

eke out posted:

say what you will about sanderson but his ability to self-critique and realistically address his own flaws is surprisingly strong

Which is why we will get ten books of peak fiction. Meanwhile, GRRM and all of his fans...

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Which is why we will get ten books of peak fiction. Meanwhile, GRRM and all of his fans...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

What I learned from this is that he feels like people should read Sunlit Man pre-Stormlight 5.

My order was: Mistborn Era 1 -> Elantris -> Emperor's Soul -> Mistborn Era 2 (Minus unreleased Lost Metal) -> Warbreaker -> Lost Metal -> Stormlight.

What I currently have left are:
Edgedancer
Oathbringer
Dawnshard
Rhythm of War (Yowzah does this title make a lot more sense now)
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
Sixth of the Dusk
White Sands
Tress
Sunlit Man
Yumi & Nightmare Painter

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

Rhythm of War (Yowzah does this title make a lot more sense now)
How are you 1 3/4ths books into SA and still foolhardy enough to think you know what’s coming

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

How are you 1 3/4ths through SA and still foolhardy enough to think you know what’s coming

OH, I have no clue what the actual book will be about. But the title's wording makes sense since the Listeners will "attune/speak to the Rhythm of <x>"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Rhythm of War is related to [spoiler]the Beat of Battle, the Sonata of Slaughter, and the Orchestra of Overkill [spoiler]

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Tunicate posted:

The Rhythm of War is related to [spoiler]the Beat of Battle, the Sonata of Slaughter, and the Orchestra of Overkill [spoiler]

Redo this my good reader.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Rhythm of War spoilers (Mordiceius no look!):Given Mordiceius' quite reasonable prediction, it's ironic that no Listener attunes the Rhythm of War in RoW... Although Venli attunes the rhythm mixing Cultuvation and Odium.

To something completely different:

Tunicate posted:

[spoiler]The Melody of Massacre?[spoiler] :cheeky:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yes, I am stopping in the middle of the WoR Sanderlanche. Am I crazy? Maybe. But there are 3 hours left in the audiobook and I want to play Infinite Wealth! :argh:

I have just one thing to say - Don't think I didn't notice that, Brandon!!! I noticed Renarin wince when Shallan asked him to pull out his shardblade in the portal room. I saw that! I know what you're doing!!! I see through your tricks!!!!!!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tunicate posted:

Well if we follow that logic than we have a good contender for what it sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3UeCguVVI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

These were my favorite Castlevania games