Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Moved into Ascension 3 in FAPI today, feels good to get into a groove with that. I've really been enjoying having it as a background thing to poke at and those numbers do be goin' up.

edit: they apparently accidentally pushed visual changes to the worm breeding tab and I mean it clashes with all the other menus pretty bad but people on the discord are like "This new menu is so bright it's going to give me seizures change it back immediately before my eyes explode". It's bad but cmon.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

YourChronicle is a funny game. At the start you are killing monsters and ranking up final fantasy style. Then partway through it turns into a one man restaurant simulator.

"I need three bread, four grilled fish, 25 pork, six anchovies sandwiches, and a slime NOW!"

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
YourChronicle is annoying because it's so close to an amazing game.

That's killed by the nudgenudge pay money for more minion slots otherwise gently caress you design.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just realized A3 in FAPI means I don't have to do the Path challenges anymore :woop:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rynoto posted:

YourChronicle is annoying because it's so close to an amazing game.

That's killed by the nudgenudge pay money for more minion slots otherwise gently caress you design.

There should never be gameplay affecting micro transactions in a one person game unless it’s easily gained via regular play. You want to put in something make it cosmetic or just charge for the game. It’s too much of a long grind to unlock just the basics though so I won’t be seeing most of the game.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Rynoto posted:

I honestly don't mind paying money to enhance QoL in a game, the problem is I paid all the money and the QoL still isn't good enough

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jhet posted:

There should never be gameplay affecting micro transactions in a one person game unless it’s easily gained via regular play. You want to put in something make it cosmetic or just charge for the game. It’s too much of a long grind to unlock just the basics though so I won’t be seeing most of the game.

Imo it's not really a big deal for a single player idle game to have micros that just make the game run faster, it's not stopping you from playing the game slower. It's more of an issue with Yourchronicle's gating system where you have to have a certain cap of a resource to pass gates and individual monsters can only level so high, so if you can't put more monsters in your squad with the same cap buffs then you have to grind the gently caress out of your own stats to brute force gates and get higher tier monsters.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah I don't mind paying for Idle games - threw $10 at Melvor for its dlcs and a $20 at evolve just because - but YCs is just too much into the predatory model for me to reward.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo it's not really a big deal for a single player idle game to have micros that just make the game run faster, it's not stopping you from playing the game slower. It's more of an issue with Yourchronicle's gating system where you have to have a certain cap of a resource to pass gates and individual monsters can only level so high, so if you can't put more monsters in your squad with the same cap buffs then you have to grind the gently caress out of your own stats to brute force gates and get higher tier monsters.

Yeah, I think we’re about on the same page here. Most games you can grind out the multiplier via regular gameplay, YourChronicle you have to grind out all of it, or you have to pay for this one character or unlock to get past this wall. Lols, there’s another wall and you need to buy something else. And another wall, and another.

Some mobile idlers do a good job of having a game, but if you’d like to upgrade from the free version you get a multiplier with it. They’re not wanting you to stick in another $5 in every month or with every update just so the game functions completely.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is YC like that? I only did a few playthroughs, never pushed for anything beyond the first ending, but while it was a pain in the rear end managing my party config for resource caps sometimes I was never in a situation where I actually couldn't do what I needed without extra slots. Would have just made it less of a pain in the rear end.

Monetization seemed well in line with stuff like NGU, Untitled Space Game, etc. -- in fact there was even less stuff in Your Chronicle that seemed tempting to spend money on than in those games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

Is YC like that? I only did a few playthroughs, never pushed for anything beyond the first ending, but while it was a pain in the rear end managing my party config for resource caps sometimes I was never in a situation where I actually couldn't do what I needed without extra slots. Would have just made it less of a pain in the rear end.

Monetization seemed well in line with stuff like NGU, Untitled Space Game, etc. -- in fact there was even less stuff in Your Chronicle that seemed tempting to spend money on than in those games.

Yeah I haven't had an actual issue yet, although I did get the starter pack that gave some auto-stuff that helps. There have been points where i thought i was stuck but it turned out i just didnt understand some function of the game, sometimes because of the terrible UI. It might get worse later though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Crafting event started in Ironwood.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Gooboo: I'm at level 215; Horde zone ~52 is my current best. Is there any 'best' combinations of gear to use for where I'm at right now?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Factory Town Idle: I pressed buttons and got through to the magic biome. I've created an interconnected market economy with many specialties and mechanics layered on top of each other with load bearing dependencies overbuilt like a pyramid of "number go up". I never got this far in Factory Town Actual, so it's kinda neat.

This game lasts for a solid 2 weeks to 4 weeks of attention. I enjoyed it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Cough small still-alive update for Theresmore with a Grab-bag of military techs and one new building. Next Era continues to be worked on.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FAPI Ascension 3 done, I have to assume there'll be a point where the required reincarnation level increases a whole lot more so the ascensions aren't always going to be shorter and shorter. This last one went real quick but it was also the first one with all the path challenges auto-completed so that probably makes a big difference.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Arcanuse posted:

Cough small still-alive update for Theresmore with a Grab-bag of military techs and one new building. Next Era continues to be worked on.

man I kinda liked that game I might look at it again soon

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

explosivo posted:

FAPI Ascension 3 done, I have to assume there'll be a point where the required reincarnation level increases a whole lot more so the ascensions aren't always going to be shorter and shorter. This last one went real quick but it was also the first one with all the path challenges auto-completed so that probably makes a big difference.

It does slow down eventually, but it's a lot faster now than before they added farming and the town/mining stuff

Sayara
May 10, 2009

explosivo posted:

Looking at my ascensions from back in the day they look similar to yours, with them getting longer at 5th ascension, mine ranging from 21 to 55 days. New patches have made that shorter though and my last (#18) ascension took only 7 days again, so who knows how those slow ones look like now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I wasted so much of my time in YourChronicle because I didn't key into the fact that it's a reincarnation loop game and you aren't supposed to unlock the ability to beat the tournament. I finished a lot of delivery and grind missions to see if anything new unlocked but then I gave up and one shot the demon king. :negative:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wasted so much of my time in YourChronicle because I didn't key into the fact that it's a reincarnation loop game and you aren't supposed to unlock the ability to beat the tournament. I finished a lot of delivery and grind missions to see if anything new unlocked but then I gave up and one shot the demon king. :negative:

Yeah, my chief complaint is that it's not always clear what your "next" thing you need to do is, and if you are going to be able to clear it on this reincarnation

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Devor posted:

Yeah, my chief complaint is that it's not always clear what your "next" thing you need to do is, and if you are going to be able to clear it on this reincarnation

It's neat when it works and you find yourself with a new area or ability because of a chain, but also it means when you don't get anything after grinding out a chain you despair.

I didn't spend *that* much time on it, since after I beat my dad for the last time I went "well clearly I'm missing something" and just went to graduate, but it's still dumb at times.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

Factory Town Idle: I pressed buttons and got through to the magic biome. I've created an interconnected market economy with many specialties and mechanics layered on top of each other with load bearing dependencies overbuilt like a pyramid of "number go up". I never got this far in Factory Town Actual, so it's kinda neat.

This game lasts for a solid 2 weeks to 4 weeks of attention. I enjoyed it.

I just got to the magic biome too, and couldn't manage it all by myself. I had to figure out how to automate everything from there. It just got too big.

Excellent game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's neat when it works and you find yourself with a new area or ability because of a chain, but also it means when you don't get anything after grinding out a chain you despair.

I didn't spend *that* much time on it, since after I beat my dad for the last time I went "well clearly I'm missing something" and just went to graduate, but it's still dumb at times.

After your second reincarnation you'll unlock the ability to queue up multiple actions but it only works for actions you've completed at least once before. So even if you couldn't reach the end, knocking some of those chains out partially early means you can at least queue them later

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

goferchan posted:

After your second reincarnation you'll unlock the ability to queue up multiple actions but it only works for actions you've completed at least once before. So even if you couldn't reach the end, knocking some of those chains out partially early means you can at least queue them later

Oh good, it wasn't a waste of time. I got that ability and it rocks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

goferchan posted:

I don't think this is true, you still need to unlock them or they'll be grayed out

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
People say that township in Melvor Idle is a great source of passive income but lord, it takes a lot of investment. You need, what, 40,000 population to unlock the town hall? And then another 100M to build one? bbbbbbbbbbb

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

People say that township in Melvor Idle is a great source of passive income but lord, it takes a lot of investment. You need, what, 40,000 population to unlock the town hall? And then another 100M to build one? bbbbbbbbbbb

It's a lot but at least in terms of the population it's not egregious. My biggest issue at the start was that I didn't understand how health and happiness affected population, percent wise. But yeah buying the actual town hall is pretty nuts, I'm going to be level 120 in township before I can even get close.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah it is a lot, but it was pretty much the goal for me after I already maxed out fishing and was able to make enough to make it kind of trivial to finish upgrading the town hall. Once you get it to max the passive income is kind of nuts.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I think the township thing making money was about earlier versions or something. I've basically maxed out everything but the tax revenue building in my town. The first tax hall I got gave me a whopping 250k gold / hour. It'll pay for itself in just 17 days!

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
It’s rough but worth it to buy out the town halls. I get 5.8m an hour and money is no longer an issue. That’s like 20 bank slots a day passively

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

cyxx posted:

It’s rough but worth it to buy out the town halls. I get 5.8m an hour and money is no longer an issue. That’s like 20 bank slots a day passively

It's a lot, agreed. The repair cost is large once a day, but at max it's a large passive income. I've only had it maxed for a week and I've made 560m GP total and am nearly to the break even point. So not only does it pay for upkeep itself, there's a ton of excess. It's a sink getting there, but really good once it's there. The Trader makes it worth it too and if you're hitting capacity limits you can make the exchange and then sell the stuff for extra GP.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's so many actions in Melvor that are required, but don't generate money. Having a passive flow of gold breaks that economy in twain.

It does cost the same amount as if you bought everything you wanted first anyways.... so if you just played the game then that would break that economy just the game and did the speedrun path to Dragon Javelins or like woodcutting or whatever. But also, have you considered... That township offers bars that can be filled to 100%. That's why I did it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Maxed out township with Herald gives you 5-6 million GP an hour most of the year. Winter is “only” like 1.5m an hour. It does trivialize most of the other gold making methodologies.

The key to town halls is not to repair the town halls until you have all eight built, because you will lose any money you’re making (especially if you do winter repairs). Just save up until you can build another hall and treat the income you are getting as a down payment on the next one.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Ah, this one slipped my memory: Gradation. It's a short one, but a nice one. Downloaded version runs much better.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Played through Stuck in Time (formerly Loop Odyssey) - I thought it was pretty good! The growth from a little baby loop with like 5 steps in to a huge map spanning, six minute long monstrosity was fun and a slightly different beast than the typical Number Go Up that most idlers offer. It had plenty of that, too - designing and refining loops that just farmed stats I found to be pretty compelling. Having one of the level up options be for increased loop speed was an interesting incentive to find the 'sweet spot' for how much time/strength you needed so you could dump the rest in to speed to get the loop done in less real time was cool.

Certainly not without flaws. As the loops got longer, making changes was pretty miserable. When you're only curious about the last 10 seconds of your 2 minute loop it's pretty annoying - and that's still only the midgame. Editing the middle of a loop was similarly difficult as you could lose your place and gently caress up everything that came later because you were one step to the left and didn't realize. Also you're only able to save full loops, for what is essentially a programming game it would have been really nice to be able to save snippets that you could piece together to form a loop and edit separately. Similarly, the ability to group certain actions and loop them x number of times would have been helpful for burning excess mana on grinding a walking path or something.

None of that was severe enough to stop me from playing, though. Having some narrative to go along with the loop format was pretty cool, too - just to give some context to the actions you were taking. Again, just a nice layer on top of Number Go Up.

I picked it up for like 7 bucks on Steam. I guess that's kind of pricey as far as idle games go, but I got my money's worth. Looks like it goes on 50% sale fairly often.

Edit: I think I'll give Factory Town Idle a go. I liked the base game so it should be a good fit.

MerrMan fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 10, 2024

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Stuck in Time has a lot in common with increlution, another really great idler for not much on steam. Both games are about exploring and tinkering with your route to push farther and farther, faster and faster until you are running around the world in seconds while doing seven things at once at every stage. SiT is pretty unique in how much stuff there is to find off the beaten path, it's also a lot bigger a game than it initially appears.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Arcanuse posted:

Ah, this one slipped my memory: Gradation. It's a short one, but a nice one. Downloaded version runs much better.
This is absolutely my type of thing but it ends very abruptly!! Great for a game jam but I'd love to see a version with 10 or 20 layers.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Stuck in Time has a lot in common with increlution, another really great idler for not much on steam. Both games are about exploring and tinkering with your route to push farther and farther, faster and faster until you are running around the world in seconds while doing seven things at once at every stage. SiT is pretty unique in how much stuff there is to find off the beaten path, it's also a lot bigger a game than it initially appears.
I really soured on Increlution after the first update. Stuck in Time has a coherent world with a beginning, middle and end. Increlution is designed to keep bolting on 3 more days of gameplay, forever.

The theming is nonsense, just throw darts at your fantasy world map and stitch it together with some ominous language. Here's a cave part, now a river part, mountain part, lake part, oops now we're crashed on an island, how about a temple, maybe a castle...

Not to stop anyone from trying it out. Guess I'm just re articulating my desire that these games have endings.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At least at the moment Increlution has an ending, with a giant boss to fight at the end. Some of the later chapters get pretty creative in presenting a bunch of options and the game becomes a puzzle of selecting the sequence of actions that will use your skills enough to get past the next big obstacle by the time you get to it.

Honestly though for me the real appeal of the game is watching those little thin bars fill up faster and faster and faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSH85D6XiU

ORB OF CREATION IS BACK BABY

It's not built yet, but the promise has been made. 2:45 is where he stops saying life words and starts saying wizard words.