Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kiimo posted:

Also what else are we gonna talk about, the media is currently talking about the 49ers being awoken by the fire alarm and how infuriating it was and it turns out it came on seven minutes before they were supposed to get up like it's dire news time at this point

Eh you can't snooze a fire alarm. That's a get out of the building in whatever you're wearing alarm.

It's still just pushing the narrative the niners are whiny jerks and thus the heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This garbage Super Bowl matchup is doing a number on TFF. Eli Manning HoF chat, and deservingness of Comeback Player of the Year. These are May tier off-season chat topics. And I'm as guilty as anybody. It's deeply sad how the football gods abandoned this postseason.

Regardless of the matchup itself I always kind of feel like the season ends after the conference championships. We just lose momentum having so few games throughout the postseason and then we go so far as to take a week off, I'm out of mainlining football mode.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I cannot imagine falling to these depths if the Lions were about to play in their first ever Super Bowl.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Eli Manning HoF chat

You say this like Eli Manning chat is somehow not great. Eli owned and we should praise his glory each and every day.

gently caress the Patriots and gently caress the Cowboys.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man I had a giant Super Bowl party of Chiefs fans in LA planned at my place and then loving got Covid again. Boosted three weeks ago, had covid three months ago.

Now I'm going to be watching alone.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

fartknocker posted:

gently caress the Cowboys.

Something that unites all of tff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I cannot imagine falling to these depths if the Lions were about to play in their first ever Super Bowl.

totally agree. I think part of the problem is the fanbases seem (seem! I’m not saying they are!!) either boring (KC) or unlikable (silicon valley people). if the Lions/Ravens/Bills/Browns were in I bet there'd be a lot more human interest narratives or stories about their fans flooding into Vegas

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This garbage Super Bowl matchup is doing a number on TFF. Eli Manning HoF chat, and deservingness of Comeback Player of the Year. These are May tier off-season chat topics. And I'm as guilty as anybody. It's deeply sad how the football gods abandoned this postseason.

Two full weeks for the media (and us) to talk about nothing but the Super Bowl is the loving worst. NFL reporters should collectively take a vacation over pro bowl week or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the draft should be the week between the conference championships and Super Bowl

e: or free agency or trade moratorium or something. Something....

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I guarantee you people would be getting sick of Lions posts by now if they were in the game.

2 weeks of garbage media fluff stories will kill anything. Except Taylor Swift.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Anyone got a good and silly prop bet sheet available yet?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Coldforge posted:

I guarantee you people would be getting sick of Lions posts by now if they were in the game.

Lions hype would be crazy. First Super Bowl, Muscle Coach's rise from worst to first, Lions simply going from 1 to 4 playoff wins in the Super Bowl era being led by Jared loving Goff...

The only reason this isn't a complete snoozefest matchup is because the 49ers haven't actually won a SB in awhile. Otherwise the 49ers have been consistent playoff contenders and have made the NFCCG more often than not, the only interesting thing is whether Kyle and CMC and the rest of the team can finally get rings.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Amy Pole Her posted:

Hamlin and smith are false equivalents here cmon

Not really? Both comebacks are notable for the injury they came back from, not the play on the field the year they came back.

Smith did more on the field during his comeback but he spent most of the year still hurt and didn't do anything special as a football guy, but his injury was so severe it could have genuinely killed him or at least took his leg. Hamlin made even less impact on the field but he literally died on the turf the year before. Both are inspirational comebacks but not because of their play.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Still annoyed about the Gates thing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Brock Purdy coming back from his elbow injury to play in the Superbowl his first full year as starting QB is a cool story. Regardless of how ridiculously talented his offense is.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1756056717488468123?s=46

they’re getting the peacock game

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Easily take prime over peacock. Primes thursday night games have a very good presentation, even if the games themselves are crap.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Amazon prime broadcasts have 49ers legend Richard Sherman.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Didn’t read the article, does it explicitly state they’re replacing the Peacock playoff game next year, or just that Amazon will get one and there is potential both get one?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hope they give the analytics guy who talks like he’s never been on TV before despite being on TV for every TNF matchup his own segment

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

At first I thought that was in addition to Peacock, not instead of it, so could be worse I guess. Every playoff game on a different streaming service would be a special kind of hell

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Coldforge posted:

2 weeks of garbage media fluff stories will kill anything. Except Taylor Swift.

Not a chance. Maybe in the ensuing years, sure but there's no way it would've gone that way in the Lions first Superbowl. There hasn't been a "first time in the Superbowl" since 2010 and with those ones you have limitless stories about the city itself and how it's been starved for a winner forever and now's their chance. There's nothing to talk about this year because both teams suck and have spoiled fanbases. Taylor Swift is saving the Superbowl from pulling less viewers than reruns of Seinfeld.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Antonio Gates is the Frank Gore of TEs.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Quiet Feet posted:

Except Gates was actually a top tier player at his position for at least a single season

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

seems like a good time to alert everyone that Prime quietly introduced commercials to their streaming.

You can go and pay an extra 3 dollars to get them removed though, here:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Didn’t read the article, does it explicitly state they’re replacing the Peacock playoff game next year, or just that Amazon will get one and there is potential both get one?

they’re replacing peacock

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1756065474000121911?s=46

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Quiet Feet posted:

Frank Gore: five pro bowls, one 2nd team all pro

Antonio Gates: 8 pro bowls, 6 first team all pros

Yeah, they're the same

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

At least you can watch Prime on twitch for free

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bellmaker posted:

At least you can watch Prime on twitch for free

poggers

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
They made Shannon Sharpe wait a year too despite holding the TE catch record when he retired.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

you're thinking of Jason Witten

I heard someone compare Travis Kelce to him this week and I was mad

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Brown had 187 punt returns attempts vs Hesters 315, so pretty good sample size for both. Hester scored 14 TDs to Browns 4.

Hill had 4 TDs in his 88 attempts. Hester had 7 in his first 89 attempts.

Both guys were really good returners but still worse than Hester at returning punts.

AB did abandon an additional return TD in order to kick the Browns punter in the face

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a neat cape posted:

Frank Gore: five pro bowls, one 2nd team all pro

Antonio Gates: 8 pro bowls, 6 first team all pros

Yeah, they're the same

Man, Gore is even more disrespected than I thought, you're right.

indigi posted:

you're thinking of Jason Witten

I heard someone compare Travis Kelce to him this week and I was mad

Seriously though this is probably the better comparison.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Frank Gore stats don't shine as well because Adrian Peterson was just that good.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Mustached Demon posted:

Frank Gore stats don't shine as well because Adrian Peterson was just that good.

This reminds me to block out my 2025 for arguing that Shady should be first-ballot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Black Lighter posted:

This reminds me to block out my 2025 for arguing that Shady should be first-ballot

if he hadn't been consigned to the northern wastes for some of the best years of his career he might be. even if you don't change his stats/playoff success, if he'd gone to Pittsburgh or Chicago instead of Buffalo I think he'd get in

e: it's really funny that he closed out his career with back to back Postseason DNP rings

indigi fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 10, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Not really? Both comebacks are notable for the injury they came back from, not the play on the field the year they came back.

Ones a starting QB who played mediocre and the other was a special teamer. You’re reaching, hard.

If your logic held up, and then give that award to every single person who had an injury that they considered to be career threatening, and that list goes on much bigger than Alex Smith.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hamlin has one of the most insane stories in sports but he's not good and barely saw snaps

Flacco helped get the Browns to the playoffs after posting his best season since like 2018

You could make an argument either way but if it's about actually playing football then Flacco is 100% the choice

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Comeback Player should be the player who makes the most comebacks during a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ones a starting QB who played mediocre and the other was a special teamer. You’re reaching, hard.

If your logic held up, and then give that award to every single person who had an injury that they considered to be career threatening, and that list goes on much bigger than Alex Smith.

Life threatening

Not just career threatening

Life threatening

Not to mention you were pointing out that it is a performance based award, which it usually is, but Smith won it despite a mediocre performance, because his injury was catastrophic. Hamlin was also coming back from an unprecedented injury of, you know, literally death

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 10, 2024