Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangfort
Nov 8, 2023

Medullah posted:

I still have around the first 40 issues of the Marvel TF comic. Too bad I didn't learn about bagging and boarding comics until years later. :(

I just got into comics last year. I didn't really think it through and would always take the floppies out of the bags and throw the bag and board away...

So now I've got a bunch of comics out of bags and I've been too lazy to re-bag and board them. Stupid me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Comfortador posted:

I feel dumb as poo poo. I never read the comics, so I've only seen that cover a number of times but I could've SWORN it said "All Are Dead" not "Are All Dead"

I mean... decades hahah.

I think it's a fairly common misconception. "All Are Dead" feels like an evil counterpoint to "Til All Are One", especially if you're just seeing the image on its on and not reading the text as a continuation of the comic's title - "The Transformers Are All Dead"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Strangfort posted:

I just got into comics last year. I didn't really think it through and would always take the floppies out of the bags and throw the bag and board away...

So now I've got a bunch of comics out of bags and I've been too lazy to re-bag and board them. Stupid me.

When I was a teenager I used to babysit for my church's pastor's kids. I had no idea he was into comics when I started, and I found out that he was a huge comic nerd who just had grocery bags filled with unbagged comics laying around in his basement. He told me to help myself to any issues I wanted to keep, he was more of a "read them and forget them" guy and not a collector.

That was a good summer and I still have a bunch of keys I stole from him. :D

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looking through the 40th anniversary shirts on tfw and lol that the first one has none other than Skids front and center

Finally, is Skids Time

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Robot Style posted:

I think it's a fairly common misconception. "All Are Dead" feels like an evil counterpoint to "Til All Are One", especially if you're just seeing the image on its on and not reading the text as a continuation of the comic's title - "The Transformers Are All Dead"

Honestly took me decades to get it because this is how I thought about it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Marmaduke! posted:

They actually released the 4 issues as a group and just had the Decepticons keel over followed by a solemn victory speech by Prime, so that could have been how it all ended...

That's how it was meant to be.

Turned out to be such a big smash hit they turned it into a full blown series and went off from there.

It was a thing they use to do in the day, instead of relaunching with an all new number one to sell.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

80s toy marketing was just a huge juggernaut of an industry. Thanks Reagan!*

*don't thank Reagan for poo poo

It's why all of us here have our ...curious affliction.

The Last Call posted:

That's how it was meant to be.

Turned out to be such a big smash hit they turned it into a full blown series and went off from there.

It was a thing they use to do in the day, instead of relaunching with an all new number one to sell.

The last issue in the U.S. had the fact that it was a maxi-series on the cover.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's why all of us here have our ...curious affliction.

The last issue in the U.S. had the fact that it was a maxi-series on the cover.

It was a nice call back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Last Call posted:

It was a nice call back.

LOL that's amazing

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wheeljacks Wheeljacks Wheeljacks

The blue wings are apparently from a removable forcefield thing

Toon colors Wheeljack looks like a knock-off in vehicle mode, I'll just never understand the people who want their figures to look as simplified as possible just to make it match the cartoon.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Knormal posted:

I'll just never understand the people who want their figures to look as simplified as possible just to make it match the cartoon.

Some people are just scared to death of ~clear plastic~ and will buy a shittier looking figure if they think it's sturdier.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I mean I do prefer the opaque windows on the new Wheeljack, but I just wish they'd only changed that and left the rest of the deco alone. I am a big toon accuracy person but that's more of an MP thing than a Deluxe thing. On the Hasbro Deluxes they just look unfinished like that.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I’m honestly more interested in Origins Wheeljack than the multi-pack version. I do genuinely enjoy the real goofy cybertronian modes from these Origins figures, and I like Wheeljack’s, even though it means that he looks like he’s loaded down with a ton of kibble on him to allow for the alt-mode.

In general, I’d rather take opaque windows, because I think that looks better with a lot of G1 figures (it’s why I bought the Ironhide & prowl 2-pack, besides the fact that I think it’s hilarious), but multipack Wheeljack here just looks hella unfinished in car mode. He really needs the extra detail.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I must be crazy or something cuz the multipack version does a good job of making the ER version look drab and terrible

I very much prefer that less dirty looking white color

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think it looks better in robot mode but I hate the car mode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hasbro really hosed up when deciding on a shade of blue for these opaque window redecos. It's just really unappealing. Translucent blue plastic can pick up colors from around it and balance things out in your eyes while still appearing uniform across the cast; this shade of blue just screams at you.

The other obvious issue is that these figures were designed with clear plastic in mind. While on brand new toys not having a clear sprue gives you lots of deco freedom, working around existing sprue layouts ends up consuming a lot of paint budget instead.

And lastly, wheeljack's cartoon vehicle model strips out a lot of detail even by sunbow standards. You can try and salvage that at masterpiece budgets by slathering the whole thing in appealing white paint but raw white plastic just looks bad without more paint applications.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
That Wheeljack is in dire need of Toyhax labels good lord.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, looks like Omega got backed. I got in on it this time, looking forward to it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And people were saying this would be the first HasLab to fail

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Several haslabs have already failed. I don’t think anyone expected this to fail, but I thought pick-up would be slower.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sorry, I meant TF HasLab

But it proves something - people are hungry for continuities that aren’t G1

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It makes sense that GI Joe and Transformers (which are primarily about the toys) have had all their projects succeed, while Marvel and Star Wars (which have many more avenues for fans to get their slop) have had a couple failures.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Star Wars stuff is a really difficult sell when you can get a stupid huge playset for your 3.75" figures, or you can get an equally nice version of the same ship to put on your shelf for $20 with free shipping tomorrow from Amazon. If Disney would greenlight a HasLab Ebon Hawk or Moldy Crow you'd see that fund in seconds, but they won't.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

Sorry, I meant TF HasLab

You may be right, but speaking only for myself, continuity doesn't really figure into it. The toys of Fire Convoy and God Magnus would have been cool no matter where they showed up, as would the Car Brothers.

I think the only thing I took away from RID was my preference for black repaint Optimuses to be Scourge instead of Nemesis Prime. I like the idea that he's just some arrogant jerk who looks like Optimus, and in fact he'd kick you in the nards if you called him an Evil Prime.

Fun fact: I have never owned a Sky-Byte.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Skybyte is cool but as a character, his toys are kinda lame because he transforms from a overly greebled sharkman into a statue of a shark, due to how his transformation works. I like him as a dude, a poet/bard/whatever, but his toys are kinda lame. Source: at one point or another I've owned every skybyte

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean there’s not much articulation they can give a shark

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Not with that attitude

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

The Star Wars stuff is a really difficult sell when you can get a stupid huge playset for your 3.75" figures, or you can get an equally nice version of the same ship to put on your shelf for $20 with free shipping tomorrow from Amazon. If Disney would greenlight a HasLab Ebon Hawk or Moldy Crow you'd see that fund in seconds, but they won't.

HasLab 3.75” scale planet Tatooine when??? :mods:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Rhymenoserous posted:

That Wheeljack is in dire need of Toyhax labels good lord.

People always clamor for animation accuracy until they see it in toy form

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Just snap the horns off unicron and spray paint him sand coloured. There, you've even got the sarlacc hole.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fil5000 posted:

Just snap the horns off unicron and spray paint him sand coloured. There, you've even got the sarlacc hole.

That isn’t 3.75” scale! <:mad:>

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

That isn’t 3.75” scale! <:mad:>

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW BIG TATOOINE IS!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did the CHUG line ever do RiD? They were jumping around a lot of post-G1 continuities, but technically Skybyte was a recycled figure from BW2 (so much of RiD was weird recycled figures).

I think I remember hearing about a Sideburn pretool?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

They got burned bad making so many 3.75" scale Alderaans that they now litter beaches worldwide

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did the CHUG line ever do RiD? They were jumping around a lot of post-G1 continuities, but technically Skybyte was a recycled figure from BW2 (so much of RiD was weird recycled figures).

I think I remember hearing about a Sideburn pretool?

Scourge was in Speedia 500, Towline was in Buzzworthy Bumblebee, and Sideburn (from Shadow Striker) is on the leaked list for Wave 3 in July.

Prior to that, Unite Warriors had a Ruination repaint of Bruticus, and Thrilling 30 had Sky-Byte, but that's about all they've done in the past decade or so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

I mean there’s not much articulation they can give a shark
I thought the same for lego sharks

Magic could surely make skybyte articulated in beast mode!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought the same for lego sharks

Magic could surely make skybyte articulated in beast mode!

Well that's loving cool

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Nodosaur posted:

Sorry, I meant TF HasLab

No, it proves people will back a cool design, regardless of continuity. This "silent majority of G1 fatigue" nonsense is exactly that: Nonsense. People like Transformers, period.

Except Beast Machines. gently caress that noise.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Robot Style posted:

It makes sense that GI Joe and Transformers (which are primarily about the toys) have had all their projects succeed, while Marvel and Star Wars (which have many more avenues for fans to get their slop) have had a couple failures.

Both GI Joe and Transformers did have a first Haslab that struggled some, Unicron got an extension and the Skystriker needed a last moment Cobra injection to help it move numbers. Not sure why Unicron struggled so much, too big? Cost too much? People had little to go off what a Haslab really was? The Skystriker has had so many versions of it come out in the last two decades it wasn't that rare to lots of fans. Since then the follow ups have been great and did great numbers.

There is the pattern of the items often kinda middling during the middle part of the run only in the last three days to shoot up by several thousand which has caught people off guard now.

You can tell some Haslabs have been the passion projects of some people, but unless it's something that the average fan can want it has a big hill to climb. Not anything will do. It has to have worth. And if your offering tiers, they better be good.

The skull of that one character in Star Wars really pissed people off when they wanted a figure of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Beast Machines is a bad show but Vehicons are cool