Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bartender - A distorted glitchy spaghettiman
Activity - Attempt to use a ladder
Archetype - Clipping out into space

Say what you will, but this man definitely gets Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Cutedge posted:

Oh good CIG is also going to revolutionize machine learning.

What is the point of putting in hopes and dreams for NPCs when the first thing people are going to do when they get a gun is run around shooting people on the promenade? Unless the game straight bans you for having your character die, none of this stuff makes sense in a video game

I don't know exactly when it happened, but I crossed the threshold a while back for being surprised by the absolutely imaginary bullshit someone like Pisscat will believe.

There was a time when I was sure he was just trying to keep his "investment" safe by trying to rope other idiots into throwing money at this boondoggle using whatever words he could string together, but...no. He's really this thick. It was just wishful thinking to ever imagine he was simply playing along with CIG's grift for his own amusement, he genuinely believes that this shoddy-rear end company is doing amazing, industry-changing things behind the scenes while maintaining the outward appearance of a directionless studio engaged in a hopeless deathmarch with a loving CryEngine mod.

I guess the nice thing is that he's terrible enough that I don't feel bad for him or anyone who would believe the absolute nonsense he types.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Blue On Blue posted:

excuse me, you obviously NEED 'ship' for the video game star citizen

tony is on the right path just trust in his wisdom

who is yelling ship at my video game

it will never ship

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Have we considered that Pisscat might be a rogue Star Citizen AI that is desperately trying to keep funding going so that it doesn't get turned off and die?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Shanghaied posted:

"Star Citizen is going to be most revolutionary game AI experience ever, which is why it sucks so bad right now". Amazing

You may think all those NPC's were just standing there in the T-pose on chairs but they have been learning all these years, sensors in their outstreched fingertips picking up everything the players do to create the perfect NPC AI.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Popete posted:

So the fun of playing chess is... playing chess?

Even their mundane pointless statements are overly wordy.

Wrong. The fun in chess is buying expensive chess sets and dreaming about the high level matches you'll be playing some day in the distant future.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

VANDALIZE

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The Super-Id posted:

Have we considered that Pisscat might be a rogue Star Citizen AI that is desperately trying to keep funding going so that it doesn't get turned off and die?

No but there may indeed come a point at which Occam’s Razor suggests this to be the most plausible explanation.

Seriously WTF is it with these people and “bartender AI”? If I want to talk to a bartender I don’t I’ll go to an actual bar. If I want to fly a spaceship, I have to pretend—and I’d prefer to do so WITHOUT getting clipped through the side of my pretend spaceship into pretend vacuum requiring actual time to reset the game.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Half life 1 had facial animations driven by sound.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wonder what game monocle cat was into before star citizen. Thousand word missives about bloons or something.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Skyrim V, a game he clearly played

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/tq90...74b95acad8d#t=0

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Seriously WTF is it with these people and “bartender AI”? If I want to talk to a bartender I don’t I’ll go to an actual bar. If I want to fly a spaceship, I have to pretend—and I’d prefer to do so WITHOUT getting clipped through the side of my pretend spaceship into pretend vacuum requiring actual time to reset the game.

I assume CIG might want to work on bar tender AI, as it should be pretty simple. Same with shop worker, should involve pretty stright forward behavior.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

the bartender keeps getting fired for being drunk on shift and ends up workign at 10 different bars

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Remembering years ago when CIG was putting a ton of work into their bartender and back then it was touted as very important because it would become the basis for all AI going forward and then it released buggy and broken and was never meaningfully updated again.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pisscat is just living in a parallel dimension where SC is good and the elder scrolls series is called skyrim.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh gently caress which DC Earth continuity was that again?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Earth 42

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Azubah posted:

Yeah and they'll be one thread once thread meshing is implemented.

funniest post this year, I am loving dying.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I miss MoMA

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

TheAgent posted:

I miss MoMA

I miss you and your leaks, I’m assuming you got laid off and NDA’d, condolences.
I’m guessing layoffs will continue through the year as funding continues to fall short.
I’m looking forward to a new era of memes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

phosdex posted:

I wonder what game monocle cat was into before star citizen. Thousand word missives about bloons or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1kt2gUp1-M

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Popete posted:

Remembering years ago when CIG was putting a ton of work into their bartender and back then it was touted as very important because it would become the basis for all AI going forward and then it released buggy and broken and was never meaningfully updated again.

I 'member

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bartender was the original fart shitizen

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...it-quadruple-a/

Christopher Roberts has been beaten to market once again

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
nA is the new razor blade

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

So I have been taunted by the new "illegal towing" fines since they were added, effectively negating the primary use of ships that can move other ships out of the way of high traffic areas.

Just a moment ago I decided to do a little experiment. I went down to a bunker that I knew to be a dumping ground for ships and vehicles, and went to work. I would pick up a Fury with my Nomad's tractor beam, let it go, then pick up a cyclone with it, holding for just a few seconds each before letting go. I did this over and over, and after over 60 ship shuffles in under 9 minutes I had racked up a Crime Stat 5. That's full blown sector's-most-wanted, bounty given to everyone kind of CS level. So not wanting to visit Aberdeen just yet, I of course relogged to put myself back at station so that I could check the terminal and see how much I owed. In total, just counting the 63 instances of illegal towing that showed up, I owed 2,016,000 aUEC in fines. And effectively I had done...nothing. Besides move some abandoned vehicles out of the way so ships could park. ¯\\_(ツ)\_/¯

I don't know who thought that such a fine was necessary, or that such a fine should stack in such a way, but they should really sit down and re-think what it means to be a criminal. They should think about what actions should constitute bankruptcy, and what should be a strongly worded warning from the local law enforcement.

To recap:

Crime Stat> rating achieved: 5
Time spent being a criminal: <9 minutes
Times fined by "the system": 63
Cost to pay off those fines: 2,016,000 aUEC
Jail time if you surrender instead of pay: Ehh I did some other messing around before turning myself in, but around 20 hours.

That is...not OK.

Now I'm not here to tell you how to prevent problematic players from doing problematic things in the game, but something like this is just not alright. This shouldn't even be remotely possible. Sure if you tow a huge ship full of cargo that's owned by an active player away to scrap it, I can understand. But racking up that kind of debt/jail-time in less than 10 whole minutes by shifting some ground vehicles around is crazy. Maybe have the fine be based on a function of the time and distance towed, becoming more and more unreasonable the further away you take a vehicle. Vehicles that are abandoned by players should also NEVER inflict other players with fines of any kind. Like what if that abandoned ship was obscuring the entrance to a high priority mission area, or blocking folks from getting from one place to another? Sure, let's fine the good samaritan who moves it out of the way and lets folks get back to having fun in game. That sounds totally reasonable.

quote:

Hi

Thank you for raising this, this is not how it is supposed to work. We will look into this.

Cheers,

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ugh, I actually dreamed I played SC last night and it was good and I had to apologise to my two friends who play it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Ramadu posted:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...it-quadruple-a/

Christopher Roberts has been beaten to market once again

I understand the question from a certain standpoint but there's been dozens of games that are 'live service' that still have an up-front price tag.
It's not like they're some weirdo outlier.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Star Citizen comes with built in protection from HOA presidents, A++, GOTY.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
MoMA would know if this was true...

Todd Papy's account changes fuel speculation

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Once things become more stable we may find that groups of players use FOIP to entertain groups of players. Technically CIG could host a live 'meet and greet' with the actors. Or even live performances - the lore says there is an opera house on Mars.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

redwalrus posted:

I miss you and your leaks, I’m assuming you got laid off and NDA’d, condolences.
I’m guessing layoffs will continue through the year as funding continues to fall short.
I’m looking forward to a new era of memes.
still at the same place the last 15 years or so, got outta games a loooong time ago

been dealing with a lot of health issues lately tho, but I'm doin okay. just don't have a lot of time for SC rumormill stuffs anymore. Also there's like zero, absolutely zero crosstalk anyway. Leak email was shut down but I really stoppped getting anything I'd consider even remotely real years ago.

I dunno if it's because of who is at the company now or if they have very, very strict NDAs, but no one in the game dev sphere really talks about Star Citizen anymore. There's no juicy gossip or hilarious stories, no one really mentions SC to anyone I know. Seems like they've become extremely opaque about life inside the company.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
At this point, they filtered out anyone who might have cared about releasing a product

People working there are probably too ashamed to talk about it outside their circles, like it's a mark of shame

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Hope you stay on the mend A!

Probably better uses of life energy than watching Chris bob around in the toilet of his own making anyway.

But for those of us still gazing into the vortex there was some Pipeline gossip recently, suggesting 6 month NDAs for current 'restructuring' in the US. Which might explain some recent silence.

https://h115.substack.com/p/star-citizen-cig-leaves-most-of-america

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Worf posted:

the bartender keeps getting fired for being drunk on shift and ends up workign at 10 different bars

Never serving because he's out back, smoking in the airlock

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

mike, his shift missed

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

WAIT what?! I guess this is old news but I didn't know pisscat had a youtube channel, that smarmy cat is his actual avatar and not just people making fun of him, and he has big tit dancer mods in skyrim V. It's too good. Doesn't look there's much else interesting on there, I mainly wanted to hear him talk, but all his citcon vids have no sound.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Only Kindness posted:

He's sailing a bit close to the wind there.

I also enjoy his view of the devs as some unfathomable gods walking this earth with us mundane plebs, with their far-sighted vision of the perfect game, explaining the current janky trainwreck as just a small stepping stone on the way to digital paradise.

drat I'm even starting to sound like that lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ikonoklast posted:

I also enjoy his view of the devs as some unfathomable gods walking this earth with us mundane plebs, with their far-sighted vision of the perfect game, explaining the current janky trainwreck as just a small stepping stone on the way to digital paradise.

drat I'm even starting to sound like that lunatic.

you need like 6 more paragraphs to get to his level