Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

little munchkin posted:

It's really a unique thing he offers because whatever biases he might have, he's the only guy from that era who attempts to tell the truth instead of just saying whatever is going to get them engagement for their podcast.

he likes to talk about how the white fans he knew growing up hated lucha because it was so fake, and the mexican fans he knew hated the us style because it was so fake

Dave certainly has his biases, but I don't feel like he goes out of his way to intentionally praise or bury people for clearly cynical reasons. I know he is going to love the latest Will Osprey match because he loves the fast faced athletic style he works (and might fanboy a bit), so I know to dial his view back a bit to get an estimate of how I will like the match, but I don't think Dave is phony in his praise.

Arguing that one silly wrestling promotion is realistic and other silly wrestling are totally fake and lame due to their fakeness is a good indicator that that persons opinion might not be worth much (but way too common of an opinion). It's an extension of the Us vs Them sports mentality, which is lame enough when sports fans take that seriously and have to "defend" their team no matter what.

beepo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://x.com/timmarchman/status/1755967916481073222?s=20

quote:

During my time with the WWE, I had observed Vince McMahon making-out with other divas in the locker room, but he never paid attention to me, and I assumed I was not his type. This changed after my Playboy cover was released. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to fly on the company jet and stay at the same hotels as the executives for a period of time so that I could get home faster to spend more time with my daughter. On one of these occasions, Vince was attempting to get me alone with him in his hotel room late at night and I felt extraordinarily uncomfortable. He began calling the hotel room phone and my cell phone nonstop. I called Kevin Dunn to explain the situation and he said I should tell Vince I was not feeling well and would see him on TV the next day, so I did. Immediately after that night, Vince started writing my promos for me. Vince does not write promos for female wrestlers—that is the job of the creative department—and he certainly wouldn’t have, under any normal circumstances, written a promo for me. But he did, and the promos were written with the clear intention of ruining my career. I brought the first script Vince wrote for me to the WWE employee in charge of Creative at the time, Michael Hayes, and he said, ‘you’re not saying this, who the [expletive] wrote this?’ and I told him that Vince did. He said, ‘Well kid, these are the breaks,’ meaning that Vince wanted to end my career and destroy my reputation on my way out. He is known for this type of behavior and also did this to [REDACTED] upon her departure from WWE. In addition, after that night, each time I walk by him he would make vulgar sexual comments that were clearly designed to make me uncomfortable.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 9, 2024

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

this time blow up the limo for real

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God drat I loving hate him so much. What an absolute wretch.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Massaro's info coming in like the end of Promising Young Woman would be great. Continue to get hosed Vince and all his cronies.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It was always obvious that spite-booking was a thing and we can joke about the Vader "fat piece of poo poo" promo all we want but it really is horrific and disgusting how prevalent this all is. Jesus Christ. Throwing a tantrum and humiliating talent, megalomaniacal ghoul behavior.

It hurts but I'm glad Ashley is getting some form of justice. Here's hoping it continues.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder just how much money was diverted to Vince's abusive whims and if that was properly disclosed to investors and shareholders.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe this is a reach, but in light of Kevin Dunn being explicitly named in Ashley's statement, this bit from Mox's book seems relevant.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hayes: This is the most insane loving drivel I've ever seen. There is no loving way you can go on TV and say any of this. This is the ravings of a loving lunatic. Who wrote this garbage? Who the gently caress sullied the written word with this!? Tell me! WHO!?
Ashley: Vince wrote it.
Hayes: Ah, well. It's all in the delivery. Break a leg, kid.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Yeah this whole company should burn. Every piece of info that comes out paints a picture of a vile rapist preying on women for decades and everyone around him either enabling him or looking the other way.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

Hayes: This is the most insane loving drivel I've ever seen. There is no loving way you can go on TV and say any of this. This is the ravings of a loving lunatic. Who wrote this garbage? Who the gently caress sullied the written word with this!? Tell me! WHO!?
Ashley: Vince wrote it.
Hayes: Ah, well. It's all in the delivery. Break a leg, kid.

this is exactly why I say anyone who was in Hayes' position, was outraged until they found out it came from Vince and then were like oh ok can gently caress right off. Clearly your career at WWE is more important to you than being a decent human being. Oh the worst that could happen is you get fired from the rape factory - WHAT A loving SHAME!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hayes has always been trash. He should have been in jail for the poo poo he got away with in the 80s

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Michael Hayes not getting compacted into a cube by Mark Henry continues to be a horrible shame.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

McMahon being the wrestling equivalent of Harvey Weinstein is pretty much the least surprising thing, but it's nice to have confirmation.

I mean

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
imagine what linda knows, or doesn't

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zoobtro posted:

Linda personally attended Tom Cole's unemployment hearing to try to screw him out of even that and wrote him the most completely evil letter upon his termination. She knew a lot and took glee in being evil.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Linda isn't gonna open up cause she's got her own skeletons and has done her own evil despite the fact she probably hates Vince

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
remember when linda was a zombie while vince was molesting trish or something? bit weird

Zoobtro fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 9, 2024

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zoobtro posted:

remember when linda was a zombie while vince was molesting trish or something? bit weird

but if you ignore it for long enough then you'll get to have Vince cry when you lose an election.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Zoobtro posted:

She was a Cabinet member in Trump's administration, she's a piece of poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zoobtro posted:

hahahahahahhahHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yeah thanks I remember it now and my weekend is off to the fuckin depression races, god drat I hate this company

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/flyinbrianc89/status/1756079654379651406?s=46

Well Nash it was nice of you to burn all the goodwill you have built over years for this of all things.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kevin Nash sucks and little kid me watching WCW has been vindicated

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

Well Nash it was nice of you to burn all the goodwill you have built over years for this of all things.

Kevin Nash gently caress you and burn in hell

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that isn't a surprise but is probably the best reminder we'll get publicly that any wrestlers who seem like they might be decent guys could easily be like this. particularly anyone who has idolized vince or spoken about him like they were proud of how he interacted with them. it wouldn't be fair or sensible to speculate on any names but we've all seen that time and time again.

edit: the "sean" in that tweet refers to that kayfabe commentaries guy in case anyone didn't know and wants to

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 10, 2024

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Lid posted:

That's the worst possible take that you could have.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Lid posted:

gently caress you Nash

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

gently caress yourself, nash

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

he is best friends with mr duhhh i didnt wead it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://x.com/IANdrewDiceClay/status/1755974697588580491?s=20

So I guess nobody wants this new shirt I found?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i mean who knows how many women his best friends h-bombed and assaulted. of course he sees nothing wrong here

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Thanks Nash. Go to hell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Kevin says his friend got harassed."

HHH was "harassed" by being asked three questions, guys.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

hey kev, johnny ace already said the poo poo happened. bitch

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Not that I’m surprised because almost every wrestler reveals themselves to be a piece of poo poo, but gently caress Kevin Nash

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Saddened but not surprised that Nash had this take.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Not that I’m surprised because almost every wrestler reveals themselves to be a piece of poo poo

Pretty much, yeah. I think people better be steeling themselves for some more traditionally liked (if not beloved) wrestlers having some absolutely poo poo-hot takes on this whole thing (emphasis on the "poo poo" part of that phrase).

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 10, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bret otoh continues to rule

https://slate.com/culture/2024/02/wwe-vince-mcmahon-federal-investigation-janel-grant-bret-hart.html

quote:

“I don’t have any problem with everybody kicking his head around the parking lot,” Hart said. “I’m OK with the truth coming out.”

Hart told Slate that he's embarrassed he ever respected McMahon.

“I always had a respect for him,” Hart said. “Now it’s tainted. I’m embarrassed that I thought so highly of him.”

Hart told Slate that sexual abuse is something that he had heard whispered about during his time in the wrestling industry.

“I don’t think this is the only incident of this kind of predatory behavior,” Hart said. “I think you’ll find that it’s everywhere in [WWE].”

Hart believes that Grant's allegations are something that McMahon will always be associated with.

“It’s like Jeffrey Dahmer, Harvey Weinstein, or Jeffrey Epstein: Vince will be a joke,” Hart said. “He’ll be used for humor, and you’ll shake your head at the shock value of some joke about, ‘What did Vince McMahon do?’ He’ll always be associated with this story, especially as it gets bigger and bigger and bigger.”

Hart added that, at a convention a few months ago, he apologized to former WWE referee Rita Chatterton for not having believed her 1986 rape accusation against McMahon. In 2022, McMahon agreed to pay Chatterton a multi-million dollar settlement. McMahon said he still denied Chatterton's claim but was settling to avoid the cost of litigation. apologized from the bottom of my heart,” Hart said, “And I said, ‘I believe that what happened to you, happened to you. And I apologize. I was wrong.’"

quote:

I think, despite all of the issues I ever had with Vince, I know, deep down, I always respected him; but now, knowing what kind of a weirdo he became, I have absolutely zero respect for him. I do not think I could ever shake his hand if he extended it. Too creepy.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The best there is etc etc

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Bret should get to punch Vince again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He killed my brother but I always respected him.