Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: I'm dumb

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I hope this link works

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0ZSsYQo8Qb/?igsh=emhoZ3RlYjh2bjVs

Still:

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Do we get the epic Dakar posts this year :ohdear:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
YouTube has at least figured out that I watch it and is pushing me hype videos. I really appreciate our guided tour, though.

I need my annual excuse to make jokes about preferring to watch DaBikes for two weeks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I really like the oil catch bag under the motor

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I really like the oil catch bag under the motor

ktm should take notes

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In the early days of motorcycling there were motor-paced bicycle races where huge distances were ridden like that. Biggest I know was Bordeux-Paris in which riders cycled 570km in 12 hours.

Later they switched from large motorcycles to 98cc “Dernys”, a racing style which is still ridden to this day but usually in a velodrome instead of cross-country.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

First known Chad x/virgin y macro post, Getty Images

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Quoting from OSHA thread

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Now that’s adventuring.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
East German boomers:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Never trust a puddle.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Full face helmet good

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To be fair he should have been aware that he's behind a German car and it could start shedding parts without warning at any second

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7327515479218900270

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The gsx-8R looks kinda good in yellow, and is probably way more reliable than the Aprilia RS660...

I wish homologation actually meant getting the same suspension, rear sets, exhaust, etc on the retail market.

https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/suzuki-gsx-8r-first-ride/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cool bikes with crap suspension is just Japanese character like oil leaks and electrical fires are Italian character

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The nice part is you can solve the crap suspension problem.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
While true, buying a new thing and then having to spend a few thousand more to make it good is annoying and bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Most people don't ride enough or push their bikes hard enough to know the difference between good and bad suspension, so it's a reasonable, if irritating, place for manufacturers to cheap out.

You wouldn't make baby clothes out of cashmere either.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 3, 2024

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Sagebrush posted:

Most people don't ride enough or push their bikes hard enough to know the difference between good and bad suspension, so it's a reasonable, if irritating, place for manufacturers to cheap out.

You wouldn't make baby clothes out of cashmere either.

This is my take on the new Daytona 660 and the hordes of internet purists that complain that the $10k sports twin isn't the same thing as a $15k supersport

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My dilemma is that I want a newer sporty bike for track use but I don't really want a liter bike/150 horsepower.

So yeah if and when I get something newer, and closer to the RS660 or another one of the twins I will have to account for needing to upgrade the suspension and other components.

My dream is to find someone who built a track bike and then their spouse forces them to sell it before they put any miles on it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think you just have to accept if you want a bike primarily, and especially if exclusively, for track you're going to have to make changes to it eventually. With the new sportish bikes, that point just may come a lot sooner, or even immediately, depending on how fa(s)t you are.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Buying a new bike for the track just doesn't make sense to me unless you're made of money. Even a used newer street bike is going to cost a lot once you get the suspension upgraded and other parts swapped. And who wants to be the first one to low side an expensive bike?

You can easily easily find an already set up track bike for under $5k, less if you want something smaller like a Ninja 400. Join a few of the facebook groups/regional track groups, they pop up constantly. I just picked up an SV650 for this season that is fully sorted; Traxxion cartridges, Penske shock, rearsets, steering damper, full exhaust, PC5, brake lines, safety wired, new race fairings, case covers etc etc for $3400. No way you can build that bike for that money if you're buying all the parts.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

MetaJew posted:

My dilemma is that I want a newer sporty bike for track use but I don't really want a liter bike/150 horsepower.

I haven’t had one but isn’t that what the SV650 is for

quote:

… I will have to account for needing to upgrade the suspension

Oh yeah there it is n/m.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

MetaJew posted:

My dream is to find someone who built a track bike and then their spouse forces them to sell it before they put any miles on it.

This.

opengl posted:

You can easily easily find an already set up track bike for under $5k, less if you want something smaller like a Ninja 400. Join a few of the facebook groups/regional track groups, they pop up constantly.

There's no shortage of these groups, and there's all sorts of cool stuff go up for sale continuously. Some of the bikes you'll pay a premium for because of some perceived historical value, but others are people moving on from the sport or upgrading their bike themselves. Nobody actually makes money building track bikes to sell.

I picked up a HRC built ASBK bike for $6k AUD. Verified by Honda themselves, and my suspension guy is the guy who built it for HRC originally.The previous owner was an MX owner who was terrified of it.

Scrolling back the last week on the FB group, I see a Daytona 675 in great condition with all the bits, for $5k. A track going Ninja 300 for $3750, and even a factory built R15m race bike for $4,950 including all the stuff to get introduced to racing Production Lites.

(No, you can't buy these and return them to road going state, that's an even worse idea financially than buying a new bike and converting it to a track bike)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I have a 2008 SV650S that's mostly sorted, although it has the valve emulators and not cartridges. The annoyance I've been having at the last several Trackdays is that I am getting faster, but I get stuck behind bikes with 200 hp that drag race on the straights and then park it in every corner.

So, yeah I could just not spend a significant amount of money and convert my bike to a full track toy. However, it's in clean enough condition that I wonder if I should sell it to someone looking for a street bike and buy something that already has race fairings, etc.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Unless you're a millionaire and money literally does not matter, there's no reason to build your own track bike. There are tons for sale for dimes on the dollar what the PO paid into them. Just type in your weight and find one already tuned for you.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Unless you're a millionaire and money literally does not matter, there's no reason to build your own track bike. There are tons for sale for dimes on the dollar what the PO paid into them. Just type in your weight and find one already tuned for you.

Lol exactly why I've just stuck with my SV for the past ten years or so of ownership. It's reliable, very low maintenance, pretty good on gas, and doesn't tear through tires.

I don't even go through a full tank of gas at trackdays when guys with 600/1000s are refueling at least once, if not more often.

Although the brake calipers a friend sold me wound up being a headache, so buying someone else's bike with unknown history makes me nervous.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Relevant to the discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvG6kB1Ups

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A used track bike is basically trading up front monetary savings for your time and labour and some money because your life is on the line and you'd be a fool not to go over everything. For some people this is a great deal, for others it isn't.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the GSX-8R isn't what I'm looking for.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

For sale at the local Honda dealership!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
is that supposed to be some sort of sway bar connected to the front fork? wtf

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've never seen such a setup, looks like a really thin shock absorber, like the one holding up a car's hatch

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a steering damper, trikes and sidecars shake like mad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How big is that side by side next to it? A goldwing isn’t a small bike and it looks tiny next to it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Eh it's a medium sized 4 seater. They get bigger than this. But not much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe it’s a perspective trick? :iiam: