Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerusalem posted:

He did? I'm positive there was some flashback where somebody (Rayleigh?) was laughing remembering how Roger would ignore the crew pointing out they were grossly outnumbered/outgunned and rush headlong into a fight?

Yes he would rush into dumb fights, but also run from others he probably could have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I like that his name is whitebeard but he just has a mustache.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

After Lucci’s clandestine communication with the WG a few chapters back, I suspect Hattori has some kind of power or something. Luffy is always right

Hattori is Laffitte

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CatstropheWaitress posted:

it makes sense in japanese

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Luffy will always fight if he has a reason to, but not purely for his own pride. Consider how the first encounters between Shanks and Higuma or Luffy and Bellamy go.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i think its because japanese uses the same word for both but white moustache sounds funky

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You want to keep the parallel to Blackbeard too. Not sure there was any better way to handle it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
whitestache

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sounds like rear end.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Properly he should be Shirohige.

Blackbeard should be Kurohige for consistency.

There we go, no one will ever ask why he's called Whitebeard with only a mustache.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

and kumashi should be bearsy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its hosed up hes not

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It said bearsy in the translation I read first so it’s bearsy forever

Let’s not forget seven gods of pirate Bisoromi Bear and Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Hattori is Laffitte

He has a pigeon zoan

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

much like how hotdogs are sandwiches, a mustache is just a very short beard

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes he would rush into dumb fights, but also run from others he probably could have won.

I think only person who we know Roger even ran away from was Garp, based on how Garp was mentioned to have cornered Roger multiple times.

If you squint, maybe Big Mom because she claims that Roger somehow tricked her to get her Poneglyph rubbings instead of fighting for it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They revealed the 1st 2nd and 3rd place trophy cards for the World Championships of the trading card game today, such a great art.

They're also going to sell for a fuckload of money if people decide to sell, the winner of one of the 4 qualifying tournaments to get into this one sold his winner card for $200k+ and there are 4 of those, these are 1/1.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

whitebeard is just so badass nobody ever had the balls to correct him about the moustache. If he says it’s a beard it’s a goddamn beard

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Wasn't the whole Whitebeard thing because the Japanese word used more literally translates to just "Facial Hair" and calling him Whitemustache would be silly so they went with Whitebeard?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Whitestache

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sounds like rear end.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Wasn't the whole Whitebeard thing because the Japanese word used more literally translates to just "Facial Hair" and calling him Whitemustache would be silly so they went with Whitebeard?

Yeah, similar to Whitebeard/Blackbeard where when their names in Japanese are written as Shirohage/Kurohage but even Oda writes them as the former when he uses English.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

which leads to things like whitebeard having no beard but a "white moustache" 😄

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
If the man grew a beard it'd be white but like has he had white beard hair all of his life?

The answer is 'yes, of course.'

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Wow too late to post.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Law and his crew got a good showing in the anime taking on Blackbeard and a couple of his top lieutenants, really demonstrated why Law is a big deal and deserving of his high status in the pirate world. Can't wait to see how his peer Kidd does when he faces a similar situation!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbf has Blackbeard ever been in a fight where he didn't get his rear end beat? That's just how he goes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wapol (definitely), Bonney (probably), Law...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if blackbeard had a problem with getting his rear end beaten he wouldn't have so ardently sought out the "get your rear end beaten" fruit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He loves that poo poo

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Quote from man who ate the get your rear end beaten fruit: “What are you gonna do, beat my rear end?”

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Scholtz posted:

Wapol (definitely), Bonney (probably), Law...

BB got kicked in the face by a chained up girl and then had to pathetically run from akainu. Doesn’t feel like he got through his confrontation with a twelve year old unscathed

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf has Blackbeard ever been in a fight where he didn't get his rear end beat? That's just how he goes

Seems like he handled Law, Coby, and Hancock pretty well. Also Shanks is scared of him and has recently swept aside some of the fraud allegations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Seems like he handled Law, Coby, and Hancock pretty well. Also Shanks is scared of him and has recently swept aside some of the fraud allegations.

I mean Blackbeard is a pedophile, that's pretty scary.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He gave his ship and his penis the same name

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I don't really blame Blackbeard for running from Akainu. Everyone's already complaining about the small island being on fire and how hot it was and then a guy shows up who could flood the whole thing with magma. Sounds like fate wasn't on his side for that one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's always worth running from Akainu because the moment you go out his office door you're in the clear

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Teach merely subscribes to the oldest and most noble of pirate traditions: running away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

A better question is, Why? Why fight Aikanu? Blackbeard has no prestige or honor and will do whatever to achieve his goals and enjoy the journey there. So if Aikanu shows up and he has no reason to fight. just GTFO.