Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I love Australian politics and media for how little attention something like this gets.

Can you imagine if it was former US Vice President. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ShoeFly posted:

Yeah I don’t think that’s how liability works

What do you mean?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Bucky Fullminster posted:

What do you mean?

There is a difference between having a fence and not having a fence, even if people could hypothetically climb the fence.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

What do you mean?

If the City water open it up and allow it to be used for cycling, they are liable for any and all injuries that happen on there due to them not making it safe for whatever people are doing in there.
Two bikes head on? City water pays for not having painted lines down the path.
Cyclist crosses road (because they haven't spent the free money to build the tunnel you mention) and gets hit by car? City water pays damages for not ensuring safe bike crossing (probably along with the council for letting someone build a bike path that points towards a road without taking action).
Child get pricked by a carelessly dropped needle playing the green space? City water pays damages for not keeping it clean and is mandated to employe x extra staff to manage this public green space they have donated to public use.
Kids get into the pipe controls and cause a death - coroner asks the very obvious question of "why was the public allowed to have such easy access to this?"

In short, if you want to donate something to public use, especially space to use, it requires you set up and resource all the requirements to maintain public safety from any reasonably foreseeable risk. It is just a management headache and city water is not city parks.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How is that different from any other bike path. Whatever they did, do that. To the extent that Sydney water is distinct from the government, pass an act lending them as an easement for 99 years or whatever.

Also speaking of such things Bundeena campground in kangaroo valley is owned and managed by NSW water and it’s awesome

HazCat
May 4, 2009

How is that different from any other bike path. Whatever they did, do that. To the extent that Sydney water is distinct from the government, pass an act lending them as an easement for 99 years or whatever.

Also speaking of such things Bundeena campground in kangaroo valley is owned and managed by NSW water and it’s awesome

So you actually have no idea of the cost, and it may not actually be free after all?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

........ do you know what a maintenance right of way for public infrastructure is and why it applies esp to water infra?

......... it's not literally for free

......... Holy poo poo you admit it goes nowhere why should we listen any further esp when you seem determined to prove you dont ride bikes at all?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The world need ideas guys Bucky
You keep at it mate

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Hay guys, I see all these empty strips of land in the cities. Why don't we solve the housing crisis by letting developers build them out? Low income people don't mind looking at 132 KV powerlines overhead - it's a daily reminded of what man can do!

slorb
May 14, 2002
If that's a utility easement the water company doesn't actually own the land the pipe sits on, they just have the legal right to use that bit of it for the purpose of a water pipe. In addition to the water company you'd have to convince the owners of all the land the easement runs through to allow it to be used as a bike path.

If any section of that pipe runs through private property you're talking years of negotiations on how much you're going to pay them at a minimum because most big land owning families move at a glacial pace and more likely a flat out refusal.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The one where she was driving through the main street with a megaphone saying what a poo poo he was? Cause i'm beginning to think this never happened.

I think it dud because it was about how he was a cheating gently caress and this was before any confirmation he had a love child with a staffers or was having an affair. It lead to people keeping track of his wedding ring and when it disappeared shortly after.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Hay guys, I see all these empty strips of land in the cities. Why don't we solve the housing crisis by letting developers build them out? Low income people don't mind looking at 132 KV powerlines overhead - it's a daily reminded of what man can do!

it reminds dad of mans ability to create electricity

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Fine, fight with motorists for 7 km of path somewhere else instead. Take lanes and parking spaces away from them. Find another way across that chasm. Build a whole new path, have them run along cars, and then solve all those things you mentioned too. Or just abandon the people there to car dependence.

This road is ready to go. Everything up to this point is paid for. That’s what’s literally free you ridiculous pedants. Also you avoid having to pay for all those fights.

We can physically ride it tomorrow with no money changing hands. It's not about building infrastructure, it's about making different decisions. Sydney Water is owned by the NSW government. If the premier wants to get it open he can. And the "planing and construction" column for the path part will be $0.

And if you're worried about the cost of the tunnels just get the army reserve to dig them as an exercise or something.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Fine, fight with motorists for 7 km of path somewhere else instead. Take lanes and parking spaces away from them. Find another way across that chasm. Build a whole new path, have them run along cars, and then solve all those things you mentioned too. Or just abandon the people there to car dependence.

This road is ready to go. Everything up to this point is paid for. That’s what’s literally free you ridiculous pedants. Also you avoid having to pay for all those fights.

We can physically ride it tomorrow with no money changing hands. It's not about building infrastructure, it's about making different decisions. Sydney Water is owned by the NSW government. If the premier wants to get it open he can. And the "planing and construction" column for the path part will be $0.

And if you're worried about the cost of the tunnels just get the army reserve to dig them as an exercise or something.

lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

just get a wizard to do it

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

you admit it goes nowhere

The first one connects the existing gold-class routes in the big blue circles. As well as everything along the path itself of course. The red line is what we're talking about. There is currently no decent way between them.

The second one goes to Mulgoa, which while certainly not a top priority at the moment is still a lovely way to get all the way west, especially when we can have it for free tomorrow. If nothing else it's a good spot for people to get fit.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I consider the arguments against Bucky as good practice against the arguments the LNP, Oil and Gas companies, conservatives , climate deniers (but I repeat myself) and other people who are committing crimes against humanity and planet.

None of them or here are arguing in good faith.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

slorb posted:

If that's a utility easement the water company doesn't actually own the land the pipe sits on, they just have the legal right to use that bit of it for the purpose of a water pipe. In addition to the water company you'd have to convince the owners of all the land the easement runs through to allow it to be used as a bike path.

If any section of that pipe runs through private property you're talking years of negotiations on how much you're going to pay them at a minimum because most big land owning families move at a glacial pace and more likely a flat out refusal.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Bucky, why don’t we cool up a proposal to build a giant fan to blow away the pollution from Sydney. Clear skies and really the tech exists at a small level so we just got to make it bigger.

Just imagine, clean Sydney skies thanks to the Giant Fan.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Recoome posted:

Bucky, why don’t we cool up a proposal to build a giant fan to blow away the pollution from Sydney. Clear skies and really the tech exists at a small level so we just got to make it bigger.

Just imagine, clean Sydney skies thanks to the Giant Fan.

We don’t need to scale anything up or spend any money. There are over 6 million under-utilised fans already distributed around Sydney.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

bucky is a modern hero and we're lucky to have him

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

imagine how many problems would be solved if he was in charge. we'd all be dead and not a car to be seen

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

:stare:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Tunnels are just where dirt isn't, how would that cost money?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The first one connects the existing gold-class routes in the big blue circles. As well as everything along the path itself of course. The red line is what we're talking about. There is currently no decent way between them.

....... I say once again you keep proving you are no cyclist *Because the route you say is missing ACTUALLY EXISTS*

I am not going to demonstrate it with a Strava map because I dont ride itt hat much, I know of road based backstreet routes I prefer.

You also drew the location of the Cooks River cycle path wrong. It terminates at the top of Rookwood, it does not do.... whatever l you think it does and certainly does not go through Chullora Rail Goods Yard.

Near Clyde "gold standard" path does not exist.

It's too easy to dismiss anything you say when you get basic facts wrong

quote:

The second one goes to Mulgoa, which while certainly not a top priority at the moment is still a lovely way to get all the way west, especially when we can have it for free tomorrow. If nothing else it's a good spot for people to get fit.

quote:

The place to get fit is the M7 Cycleway. Now tell me, exactly WHAT are cyclists going to ride on if by some magic the clearway is allowed to be used?

Hmmmmmm? Oh wait most of that route is actually impassible - both the 7 km section in the mid west and after Prospect and needs about 150 million in work to make a path by a rough calculation and even with the 7km path there needs to be bridges, the accessway also abruptly switches north to south with no join half a dozen places IF it exists and who the hell wants MULGOA as a destination when there is a burning loving need for a cycleway to Penrith from Parramatta?!?!? You know, maybe an actual good way to spend money to make a good transport path and somewhere people actually want to ride to?

Literally for free is just the biggest LOL NO

quote:

Thats not how the Army Reserve works. Making a safe tunnel isn't about just picking up a shovel and get digging.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Just recognize sydney as a national disaster and boom, send in the reserve

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey look it's 7 km of perfectly peaceful path we can have for literally free

Which can then go on to another 23 km of straight run we can have for literally free that admittedly doesn't go anywhere especially useful but which would be good to get some of the speedy trainers out of everyone else's way:

And hey look it's one of the 12 wharves which are already built and ready to go, tick, done. The Beautiful Balmain East. Many giant steps along the land, one small leap across the water.

this is not literally free. infastructure still requires further work. it's not just a case of removing fences and whipper snipping.

as has been said repeatedly, you really need to look into the costings to make a better case. everyone will ignore your proposal if it isn't properly costed.

for example, an almost identical scenario to the one you describe here was undertaken in my local town a couple of years back. old melbourne water aquaduct was fenced off and unused, and it was identified as part of a local paths and trails cycling plan that it would make a perfect north south transit for bikes / pedestrians especially for school kids, instead of along the main road.

https://www.moorabool.vic.gov.au/Building-and-planning/Moorabuild-projects-and-works/Aqualink-Cycling-and-Walking-Corridor

it received two lots of funding from state and fed govts, $7.7m total, but council had also put aside further funding, so total cost was higher.

it was 4.5km long, and a lot of the infrastructure was already there as per your example. so that's $1.7m per km of known funds.

so some quick math would show that your 7km of 'literally free' cycling infrastructure would cost at least $12m. 23km? ~$40m , but bigger projects require increased oversight and project management, so it probably won't scale as neatly as $1.7m per km. you'd also need to fence along the pipes, you'd also want lighting and to run power along there...what's the costs of running the lights ongoing? water / drinking fountains at certain spots? that $40m isn't going to stretch that far.

so stop saying 'literally free'. all it translates to is 'literally ignore me'.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i think you're under the misapprehension that seeking a cost free solution is going to make it a sure fire thing. it's not. in fact, people are going to ignore your "cost free proposal" because it sounds totally bullshit, because nothing is free.

decision makers will be happy to spend money if the social return on investment can be demonstrated. to demonstrate that, you need to cost it properly. this is not a controversial take.

if you cant be hosed doing that, throw the whole thing in the bin and find something else to champion.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

We don’t need to scale anything up or spend any money. There are over 6 million under-utilised fans already distributed around Sydney.

Hahahaha

slorb posted:

If any section of that pipe runs through private property

Looks like it's all very much owned by the government.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

* the route you say is missing ACTUALLY EXISTS*

We've already established your definition of "exists" is not suitable for the masses

quote:

You also drew the location of the Cooks River cycle path wrong. It terminates at the top of Rookwood, it does not do.... whatever l you think it does and certainly does not go through Chullora Rail Goods Yard.

It will when I'm done with it. Not through the rail yard itself obviously, but connect the top of the Cooks River at Ada Ave to the water Pipes below Lewis st.

quote:

The place to get fit is the M7 Cycleway.

Yes and it's going to get a lot busier once we make it viable for the masses so we need to account for that

quote:

Near Clyde "gold standard" path does not exist. [...] there is a burning loving need for a cycleway to Penrith from Parramatta?!?!? You know, maybe an actual good way to spend money to make a good transport path and somewhere people actually want to ride to?

Indeed

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Aqualink looks cool, cheers. Speaking of which, shoutout to Prospect Canal Path. Outstanding, no notes. Another part of the gold-class superhighway already completely built and ready to be called upon to serve.

I can't see what works yours actually involved but this doesn't require any building, or even any whipper-snippering. The road is already literally there. Fencing, lights, sure. Like any other project. You save the millions in getting to that stage is the point.

And I have put costing in the thing. Call it $500 million, or less than 1% of the NSW transport infrastructure budget, and a few percent of what we spend on cars each year.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

if the bikes could fly it would be a lot cheaper to make space for them. just a thought

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

....... I say once again you keep proving you are no cyclist
shots fired

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Aqualink looks cool, cheers. Speaking of which, shoutout to Prospect Canal Path. Outstanding, no notes. Another part of the gold-class superhighway already completely built and ready to be called upon to serve.

I can't see what works yours actually involved but this doesn't require any building, or even any whipper-snippering. The road is already literally there. Fencing, lights, sure. Like any other project. You save the millions in getting to that stage is the point.

And I have put costing in the thing. Call it $500 million, or less than 1% of the NSW transport infrastructure budget, and a few percent of what we spend on cars each year.

the old asphalt path was removed and a new concrete one, marked with cycling lanes both ways was put in its place in 4 sections, and linking to a new shared path that was already under construction in the 5th section. the existing asphalt wasn't fit for cycling nor wide enough for two way traffic. it looked pretty much like the photos you posted.

the project came about from a local committee that was focused on cycling and hiking / walking paths. they put together a very brief slide show pack, with estimates, and put that to the local council first, and then eventually presented it to the planning ministers wonks.

i was on the committee at the time and had input into the final draft brief, but i can't find it anywhere otherwise i'd share it. all i can find is a couple of project updates and design briefs at the project went ahead.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

itemised costing, and sroi?

you can't just say you 'save' when you're spending. that's how my kids try to get me to buy something. not buying it in the first place saves even more!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

the old asphalt path was removed and a new concrete one, marked with cycling lanes both ways was put in its place in 4 sections, and linking to a new shared path that was already under construction in the 5th section. the existing asphalt wasn't fit for cycling nor wide enough for two way traffic.

Yeah this is already fit for two-way traffic, we don't need any of that here.

We also gotta remember that Baccus Marsh has a very different business and use-case to a path in the middle of Sydney. But very happy to hear it got up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

and who the hell wants MULGOA as a destination

oh I forgot this route also passes a few km above the new airport at Badgerys Creek, and connects it directly to the M7 and on to the whole rest of the network.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Half are telling me they love Bikeway chat and the other half wants to throw Bucky into the lava.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We've already established your definition of "exists" is not suitable for the masses

No, what we have established is that I know about Sydney cycling and you dont.

quote:

It will when I'm done with it. Not through the rail yard itself obviously, but connect the top of the Cooks River at Ada Ave to the water Pipes below Lewis st.

Your handwaving about cutting through protected wetlands, areas of private land, crossing rail lines and major arterials is astounding. "Literally free" heh?

quote:

Yes and it's going to get a lot busier once we make it viable for the masses so we need to account for that

What part of the M7 is not viable for the masses already?

quote:

I can't see what works yours actually involved but this doesn't require any building, or even any whipper-snippering

Want me to do a google map and highlight near Regents Park the three places this is literally wrong?

quote:

Indeed

......Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd?

quote:

Speaking of which, shoutout to Prospect Canal Path. Outstanding, no notes

All distances from Guilford

You can do some knarly jumps at 5km and 5.5kms with the concrete folds, with a bit of pump I can get some major airtime. At 6km where the path leaves the aqueduct there is a subsidence that you need to judge carefully or you can lose your front wheel as it's a corner. It's narrowish in places, it drains badly at 4.2kms and there's damage at 1.8kms. it goes.... nowhere to the west and continuing thru Prospect Res is not allowed after dark, leavingto go .... ummmm.... well you need to turn at 5.8kms to Smithfield which is somewhere I guess but at 6.6km it ends and you got either the Res which doesnt really go anywhere that isnt suicide by road (the connection to the M7 is seriously 0_0 narrow badly maintained road) or use the lovely footpath and go north for 2km connect to a bike path to Blacktown.

Solution - widen the present path, fix the problems, bike path along Chandos Rd to the west connecting to the M7 path, bike path west along the Prospect Hwy connecting to the interchange at GWH / M4. NOW we are close to a gold standard.

Outstanding and no notes you say?

Once again you lead me to the conclusion you are not a cyclist.

Prospect Waterway bike path is actually overall if you live near Prospect and Smithfield not bad and a pretty decent basis to work from to extend that I do like riding but it's got problems. BIG problems on the west side

quote:

oh I forgot this route also passes a few km above the new airport at Badgerys Creek, and connects it directly to the M7 and on to the whole rest of the network.

You might be astounded to know there are existing routes and currently a lot of in build for Northern Road, Elizabeth Drive and the M12 and I wonder if they finished the one that was deep in progress on Bringelly Road the last time I rode there three years ago? Google Maps says.... oh wow they did!

Also

https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/draftplans/exhibition/bradfield-city-centre-master-plan

Bradfield is not going to have half assed cycling infra tacked on, it's ground up from day one that is properly intergrated to Metro and existing bike routes

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 11, 2024

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Like Hambeet I have also been involved in the sucessful implementation of a cycleway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernleigh_Track I was a founding member of the Newcastle Cycleways Movement. I'm sure I've mentioned this before. That easement also already existed and yet it took twenty years and nearly failed to happen multiple times. This is my last attempt to seriously respond to you. https://www.newcastlecycleways.org.au/cyclesafe-network Look at what and how other people have succeded. Find an existing organisation that already involves itself with these things. Most crucially get a team behind you. Why is this crucial? If you can not successfully negiotiate the politics of a small group you have ZERO hope of succeeding with a council or a state government. It is none the less a very worthwhile cause ( I reserve judgement on your actual plan).

In Auspol news https://www.news.com.au/national/pe...d08311efd5c4e13

To spare you having to give them clicks

quote:

In an emotional press interview opposition leader Peter Dutton said that Barnaby had been the victim of an online terror gang and that the Albanese government was not doing enough to protect Australian from these cyber criminals. "He had his life hacked. It's obvious to anyone in the know. Anyone who is properly acquanted with him is aware that this isn't how Barnaby behaves. If I am elected I will get to the bottom of this. Those responsible will be hunted down and brought to justice. Aussie justice. By proper Aussies. In a true Aussie way. Thank you and I will nott be taking any questions at this time."

This does seem to leave Barnaby completely in the clear. Joyce also wanted the media to know that it was some other bloke who left his previous wife and got his current wife pregnant. "These life hackers are everwhere. I can't click on anything these days without seeing a new life hack. I would be less than human if I didn't try a few. Let this be a warning to others!".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

his sense of balance, hacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

oh wow milky’s back