Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the best bit of the interview and an actually useful window into Putin's mindset is the massive and obvious contempt he has for Tucker, the guy who's sole purpose in being in the country is to fawn over him and shill for Russia back in the US.

In fairness, Tucker is off the charts contemptible, that's actually pretty humanizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Is it?

(It's not)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
It's not humanizing enough, to be clear, he's just correctly identified that Tucker sucks rear end. (You do not "gotta hand it to him")

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I remember some intelligence analyst in an interview talking about Putin sitting in the Kremlin library poring over crumbling maps and documents showing Russia's past glory. Before this interview, I hadn't quite realized that this was literally true.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Regarding Tucker Carlson and his need to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFI2Zb7qE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzbxxF95vM

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Putin has 100% lost the narrative. I have no loving clue what the point of granting that interview was. Was that red meat for the Russian faithful? It seemed meandering and pointless even without the difficulty of translation.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh, it's always strange/cool for me to see stuff I work on in the wild. That studio is using an ATEM switcher, judging by the multiview screen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Grip it and rip it posted:

Putin has 100% lost the narrative. I have no loving clue what the point of granting that interview was. Was that red meat for the Russian faithful? It seemed meandering and pointless even without the difficulty of translation.

Did you notice how he (strong Russian man) intimidated the western (weak, pathetic and of questionable parentage and sexuality) journalist? Because that was literally the point.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did you notice how he (strong Russian man) intimidated the western (weak, pathetic and of questionable parentage and sexuality) journalist? Because that was literally the point.

lol maybe the secret of how to win in Ukraine is buried somewhere in the archives in Moscow. loving bookworm dweeb b*****

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

See Sam Greene (above). One bit is messing with US politics. Another bit is balancing the fact that he just banned the only anti-war candidate from standing in the Russian elections so he needs to throw some hint of hope to his people of being open to peace, even if he totally isn't.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alchenar posted:

See Sam Greene (above). One bit is messing with US politics. Another bit is balancing the fact that he just banned the only anti-war candidate from standing in the Russian elections so he needs to throw some hint of hope to his people of being open to peace, even if he totally isn't.

I don't really buy the "hope of being open to peace"-thing because as far as I can tell the Russian population by and large don't want peace, they want victory, so I don't get why Putin would care about that distant minority.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't really buy the "hope of being open to peace"-thing because as far as I can tell the Russian population by and large don't want peace, they want victory, so I don't get why Putin would care about that distant minority.

Isn't that the point? Putin doesn't actually care, but he wants to pretend to care, so that people will more easily continue to be delusional about how peace is right around the corner (if only the evil homo nazis of Nato would agree to it etc etc)

With someone like Putin, you always need to keep in mind that his actual personal goals are one thing and what he wants people to believe is a completely different thing

e: also another technique of his is sending many different messages to people at the same time, so that they all have something they can hear and be happy about, in this case even the "I just want peace" crowd got something they like to hear, not just the "Ukraine has always been Russia" crowd

jaete fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 10, 2024

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

PurpleXVI posted:

The vast majority of the Russian population don't give a poo poo about victory either, they just want eggs and gas to cost less again.

Talking to an American journalist keeps up the hope that Putin (and only Putin) can strike some sort of deal with the United States and things will soon return to normal.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Alchenar posted:

Does this suggest that there are issues in motion in Russian that Putin feels he has to address, even indirectly? I haven't been following the Russian reaction to the war, but the failed coup and subsequent assassination just made me assume that his grip on Russian governance had been even further tightened in the aftermath. Why would it matter if Russians believe he is open to peace?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

lol maybe the secret of how to win in Ukraine is buried somewhere in the archives in Moscow. loving bookworm dweeb b*****

“In the 11th century the boyars of Muscovy-“

“No one gives a gently caress about any of that. They give a gently caress about Deez”

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

But Mr President sir have you heard the story of Prince Bofa?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Does this suggest that there are issues in motion in Russian that Putin feels he has to address, even indirectly?
A dictatorship is never absolute and words are cheap. There is disquiet in Russia which does not rise to outright dissent, suppressed by the threat of rousing the state's ire, sure, but also the false promise of hope. With nothing else to hold on to, some of those stuck in Russia will accept that glimmer of hope, even knowing in their hearts it's a cynical ploy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Does this suggest that there are issues in motion in Russian that Putin feels he has to address, even indirectly? I haven't been following the Russian reaction to the war, but the failed coup and subsequent assassination just made me assume that his grip on Russian governance had been even further tightened in the aftermath. Why would it matter if Russians believe he is open to peace?

As jaete put it, a key way Putin's regime manages dissent is to constantly send out signals in all directions to the effect of 'oh yeah Putin totally cares about this thing you care about so as long as you don't rock the boat there's a chance he'll fix things for you. You don't want to rock the boat do you?'

Authoritarian regimes can't just ignore public opinion because that's how revolutions happen. They have to constantly offer a bargain with their population to stay in power. Note that this is not the same as democratic legitimacy where parties have to actively fight for your vote, these regimes are setting the bar at 'things are not so bad that they are worth taking to the streets and getting shot/gulaged for'. Putin's bargain with his people has been that if they divorce themselves from politics then he will prevent the 90's happening again. The CCP's bargain with China was prosperity, now moving very rapidly towards national revanchism.

Or to put it another way, there's a really big space between 'given a free choice I would prefer x' and 'I am willing to put my life on the line for x' and these regimes have to play in that space. The thing that keeps them awake at night is that they don't actually know where that line is and one day everything can be fine and the next day cancelling a trade agreement with the EU gets you Maidan.

While I'm riffing on this, this is one of those counter-intuitive things about authoritarian surveillance states - because of how they are fundamentally structured they actually tend to know less about what their people want than political parties in liberal democracies.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 10, 2024

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
From what I have read/watched regarding the average citizen's opinion on the war and Putin, apathy is what needs to be overcome. It seems no matter how bad things get they (imo) just shrug and say there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Since Putin has done such a good job of purging the political landscape and shaping the domestic narrative, there's nobody left to rally the average Russian again him.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blistex posted:

From what I have read/watched regarding the average citizen's opinion on the war and Putin, apathy is what needs to be overcome. It seems no matter how bad things get they (imo) just shrug and say there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Since Putin has done such a good job of purging the political landscape and shaping the domestic narrative, there's nobody left to rally the average Russian again him.

there's also the factor that no matter how bad things get they've been worse within living memory and that state is almost a constant throughout russian history

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

there's also the factor that no matter how bad things get they've been worse within living memory and that state is almost a constant throughout russian history

american history too!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Blistex posted:

I do honestly think it's worse than just "apathy." There's a wide swathe of Russians who hoped the war would go well so they could score seafront properties along the Sea of Azov, entirely for their own enrichment and advancement. Not like, business types hoping for new businesses in the conquered territories, but entirely "normal" people hoping they could walk in and steal some land as part of the war. Not just "oh, that sucks. well, sure hope it doesn't make things suck for me" but "oh, cool, these people are gonna die so I can go steal their poo poo :)"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PurpleXVI posted:

I do honestly think it's worse than just "apathy." There's a wide swathe of Russians who hoped the war would go well so they could score seafront properties along the Sea of Azov, entirely for their own enrichment and advancement. Not like, business types hoping for new businesses in the conquered territories, but entirely "normal" people hoping they could walk in and steal some land as part of the war. Not just "oh, that sucks. well, sure hope it doesn't make things suck for me" but "oh, cool, these people are gonna die so I can go steal their poo poo :)"

JFC. That's something you would expect to hear Dan Carlin talking about in his series on Rome, not present day.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Blistex posted:

JFC. That's something you would expect to hear Dan Carlin talking about in his series on Rome, not present day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66393949

quote:

The Russians hunting for cheap flats in occupied Mariupol

"I have found a property. Mariupol will be a beautiful city," Vladimir, from the Arctic Russian city of Murmansk, told the BBC.

He, along with others the BBC spoke to, did not want his full name published.

He is among dozens of Russians who've been looking for property in the occupied city on VKontakte, Russia's most popular social network, in the past months.

Vladimir says he has already sold his flat in his home city and will soon move into his Mariupol home with the entire family.

Oxana, from Tatarstan, a mother of several children who says she "always dreamt of living by the sea", expressed concern about the prospect of Ukrainians returning. Ukraine is trying to drive south towards the city as part of its counter-offensive, according to its deputy defence minister.

And if it recaptures the city, property rights given during occupation will likely be declared void, Oona Hathaway, a professor of law at Yale University, told the BBC.

But that hasn't put off people like Oxana: "I haven't given up on the dream yet," she says. "My aim is to have my own house of no less than 180 sqm."

Absolutely ghoulish poo poo, in my opinion.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I would buy a vacation home in Crimea once it was no longer an occupied territory.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

I would buy a vacation home in Crimea once it was no longer an occupied territory.

I wouldn't since this poo poo is probably going to keep happening.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
what will you say to your children when they ask why didn't you invest in crimea?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66393949

Absolutely ghoulish poo poo, in my opinion.

So you could say they're trying to get more, uh, room, for... living. There's probably some kind of pithy historical term for that kind of thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jesus, how bad are things in Russia if people are moving to Mariupol right now?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Jesus, how bad are things in Russia if people are moving to Mariupol right now?

They don't know what happened there. All they know is that there are brand new apartments to move into in a more temperate clime on the Sea of Azov and that they'll be doing their part to reclaim the glory of Russia.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blistex posted:

I mean, it's hardly the only major conflict right now where that's a thing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Even if I were utterly soulless I imagine I would still wait until the war ended to move my family into occupied territory. Speculating on rental properties or whatever, sure. I still don't think I'm into gambling that hard, but I can at least understand people who are. Moving your goddamn kids into a warzone, though???

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I can understand if someone doesn't care what happened to the previous Ukrainian homeowner. Maybe I can understand taking the risk near warzone. But what I don't understand is where is the famous Russian cynicism? Where did Vladimir find the trust to apparently sell his home and by one from Mariupol without seeing it with his own eyes. Or those volunteer soldiers that should not have been surprised when they were sent to the frontlines instead of the promised rearguard.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

PurpleXVI posted:

From what I've been reading and seeing, this type of thinking might be ingrained into the culture. For example, I keep seeing accounts of Russian wives of deployed soldiers not really giving a poo poo about much other than money, land, and material items, even when their husband is a POW communicating with them via their Ukrainian captors.
Then again, the stripper that A1C Jackass married is probably the same way.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

From what I've been reading and seeing, this type of thinking might be ingrained into the culture. For example, I keep seeing accounts of Russian wives of deployed soldiers not really giving a poo poo about much other than money, land, and material items, even when their husband is a POW communicating with them via their Ukrainian captors.
Then again, the stripper that A1C Jackass married is probably the same way.

The marriage in both cases lasts for only a month but for different reasons.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I remember the one POW interview they made where not even the interrogators could convince the POWs mom to give a poo poo about her son. All she wanted to know was "is you smartphone safe? Your granddad gave you that smartphone and he'll never forgive you if you damage or, god forbid, lose it."

You could just see the looks of sympathy growing on the faces of the interrogators as the prisoner sits there and nods with his depressed "yup, that's my ma" body language.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SerthVarnee posted:

I remember the one POW interview they made where not even the interrogators could convince the POWs mom to give a poo poo about her son. All she wanted to know was "is you smartphone safe? Your granddad gave you that smartphone and he'll never forgive you if you damage or, god forbid, lose it."

You could just see the looks of sympathy growing on the faces of the interrogators as the prisoner sits there and nods with his depressed "yup, that's my ma" body language.

The mom hearing her son's voice and realizing that he was still alive and instantly getting angry that the death payments were going to stop and she couldn't afford the new phone she was financing was similar.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A lot of things about the Russian invasion make a lot more sense with the context those interviews provide.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://x.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1756774342820839428?s=20

On the plus side, maybe it's a sign that Russia is running low on cannon fodder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

People in Russia really seem to like snitching on each other.