Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
$200 a month, 5 days a week, 8am to 1pm. 🇿🇦

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
Daycare for us comes to around $237 cad / $170 usd monthly, but that’s because we live in a place with a public daycare system. I don’t know how folks elsewhere even manage.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

$1400/mo for full week/day preschool

USA#1

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
$1,500/mo for 8-4 for a bilingual home-based daycare... More professional than most home-based care in that one lady runs like 3-4 locations out of homes she owns so it's well staffed and not just some old lady. And this is cheap for my area.

If we got pregnant tomorrow that would be two years of $3,000/mo in daycare. Enough to drain our savings dry, but not enough that one of us staying home for the duration makes sense either.

I genuinely don't know how other people are doing it. Get lucky and know another family to nanny share I guess?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
last night at the PTA meeting I learned that the way the district handles the shortage of substitute teachers is by making the class sizes bigger when a sub cannot be found.

then the teacher who took on the kids for the day gets a pay bonus in the form of whatever the substitute teacher's wage would have been.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chad Sexington posted:

I genuinely don't know how other people are doing it. Get lucky and know another family to nanny share I guess?

Retired grandparents

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
We don't even have family support. Only one grandparent around but he's not physically fit enough to handle our absolute sumo wrestler of a toddler

We pay the extortionate fees by being extremely lucky and falling into computer touching jobs

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Three more daycare payments and then I'm free! Free!!

e: with two kids in the last seven years, it will have amounted to over $80,000. And that's with grandparents taking them two days a week until they were in preschool, COVID giving us 10 months of no daycare, and no daycare in the summers because my wife is a teacher.

Insane how expensive child care is but also the margins are so thin the staff is paid like poo poo. Great system!!!

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Feb 9, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You'd think these population collapse assholes would do something about it, but alas

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
We're crazy blessed in our child care situation, the in laws are nearby, want to help, are trustworthy, and are communicative and receptive. E.g. i only had to gently express concerns one time re: the amount and quality of screen time they give her, and they immediately adjusted and told me what they'd changed. They're real good about checking in and making sure we're all on the same page. Haven't had to pay for child care yet, knock on wood

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we are paying 1900/mo for two kids, 0700-1800. that is one of the cheaper options too lol. shits hosed. cant wait until they are in school, going to be like getting a raise.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

we are paying 1900/mo for two kids, 0700-1800. that is one of the cheaper options too lol. shits hosed. cant wait until they are in school, going to be like getting a raise.

$950/month per kid for full extended day coverage is a drat deal

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have a friend in DC who is paying close to 3k/month just for one kid

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We lucked into $900 per month full day Montessori to get our kid into Kindergarten and now pay $400 per month to cover from 3:45 to 5 and holidays.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

You'd think these population collapse assholes would do something about it, but alas

they want women out of the workforce

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

could they try to make it possible to support a household on a single income then

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

The only move they seem to have is to scold people for not having more kids. That's it.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

they want women out of the workforce

jokes on them im a man

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

could they try to make it possible to support a household on a single income then

no, you need to work harder

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

4yo brain: yes, jumping off this 6.5ft high platform is a good idea

Gravity: lol. Lmao.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
really forunate that we had an option on both sides of our family because if we had to afford daycare we'd probably just made my wife stop working, jesus

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Terrible dad moment this morning. Hit my 2 year old son square in the face with a snowball.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Don't worry he'll get his revenge soon enough

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Struensee posted:

Terrible dad moment this morning. Hit my 2 year old son square in the face with a snowball.

And how many times did he piss and poo poo on you so far? Little guy had it coming.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I was only sad that my wife found out

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son who weighs 35 pounds just crawled across my lap and smashed me with his knee. ouch...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

my son who weighs 35 pounds just crawled across my lap and smashed me with his knee. ouch...

At what age do they begin not crawling and/or smashing their knees into your groin? 6 years isn't it I know.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I still knee my dad in the groin, just in case

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

My two year old weighs that much. My five year old kicked me in the groin the other day. Clean hit to the testicle. I was down for the count

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids don't ever rage on my ballsack either on accident or on purpose. I think I'm okay with this.

it's kinda like how neither of my kids ever pissed on me during a diaper change. maybe it's luck or maybe it's skill.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

daughter is finally learning to walk. it's so cute.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BonHair posted:

At what age do they begin not crawling and/or smashing their knees into your groin? 6 years isn't it I know.

14? Whatever age they decide you're not cool

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

daughter is finally learning to walk. it's so cute.

i like when they start running and they just sort of kick their feet out to get moving. the falling is less fun but still

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The 15 month old is able to walk. He has been since at least Christmas. But he absolutely refuses to do so unless he's being held or supported by a chair or something. Stubborn rear end in a top hat. When we trick him into walking unaided, he walks a few steps and either sits down in a controlled fashion or throws himself towards a support. He doesn't really fall though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that's called cruising and lots of kids go through that stage.

my kid did a weird knee-and-butt scoot to get around (he learned it from his cousin) before he finally committed to walking.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid was so impatient to walk that she tried crawling exactly once (did this weird mantis-like wobble thing for a couple of feet then stopped), then skipped all that nonsense to spend a few weeks practicing standing aided/cruising, then doing it all unaided, and then went right to taking her first steps around 8-9 months (she was as big as a 2yo at this point anyway so she had the strength)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my daughter is all flailing arms and feet all the time, but i've learned good defensive positioning

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

our kid has his first nasty cold, immediately following his first week of daycare

hes just completely miserable, it's very sad

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

you’re in for about six months of solid colds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

and be ready for croup, croup sucks and is terrifying the first time you encounter it their temp can spike really fast and high.