Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
dev diary is out

this bit here has me especially interested

e:

price is 44euro if you purchase everything now (20% discount)

that's pretty steep

ELTON JOHN fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think it's weird theyre adding unlanded characters before poo poo like merchant republics, nomads, cardinals and antipapacy stuff, and a whole bevy of other poo poo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Hmm but the adventurer system could be tied into finally making a like, trans-border nomadic society work... rare Paradox W...?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It sounds like "landless gameplay" is tied to "being an imperial governor in Byzantine", which is like, checking a whole bunch of boxes. Seemingly lots of players want Byzantine content, plus people want empires to be different than just "big kingdoms", and it lays the foundations for future styles of play that are less tied to landed rulers, like nomads and republics. So it's not surprising to me that this came first. And the adventurer stuff is probably on the easier side of implementing on top of that.

I still wouldn't have called it, that's for sure, as the game is, in its current state, so fundamentally built on being a landed ruler. Changing that and having it be interesting is a huge challenge, though travel as it was worked into the game in chapter 2 was probably step one in that process.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, I suppose the adventurer thing will use traveling a lot. Going to events, touring for followers and support, stuff like that

By the way, in my last game (first in a while) I noticed a new activity that I dont remember seeing before: visiting an university. I dont know when that was added

I tried it just once, and the thing is OP as hell. I got an upgrade to my education trait (became 5 stars, something Ive never seen before), got like 3 free learning lifestyle perks and a bunch of points to my learning skill

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Buschmaki posted:

I think it's weird theyre adding unlanded characters before poo poo like merchant republics, nomads, cardinals and antipapacy stuff, and a whole bevy of other poo poo

Literally all of that stuff is made much easier to implement if you have a way to play characters that aren't traditional landed nobles, though

If you think about it, all of these in CK2 were implemented as bizarre hacks around the landed noble game (or systems that you could only kind of interact with for the same reason) and IMO suffered for it both technically and in game design terms

Elias_Maluco posted:

By the way, in my last game (first in a while) I noticed a new activity that I dont remember seeing before: visiting an university. I dont know when that was added

Wards and Wardens DLC added that and 5 star education traits

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 6, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Literally all of that stuff is made much easier to implement if you have a way to play characters that aren't traditional landed nobles, though

Yeah it's pretty straightforward to imagine how you'd use unlanded as the backbone for those.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I wonder how inheritance will work with the Unlanded. without any crown laws, will inheritance be entirely based on culture? Can you just choose which kid you play next?

Maybe they wont even put it in and once you die while unlanded its over

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Here's a question for ya'll: Do you think chapter 3 will be worth it improve upon the game in ways that matter to you?

For me, I bought CK3 when inebriated so I got the chapter 1 rollup, and have seen a few dribbles of chapter 2. It's not really been stuff that makes me jump up and down crying 'Finally, just what I've been waiting for!'. Like, if you care a lot of listen to the dev streams it feels easy to get caught up in the hype, but when I just login after a patch and see a bunch of stuff fiddled with as I squint at the patch notes (they seem to assume you're following their stuff pre-emptively I find) nothing really seems to excite me. Like, travelling around the continent? err, ok, I guess? The idea of house rivalries was the thing that excited me the most, so of course it was a total non-feature, just my luck.

So yea, I'm not really sure the upgrade from Vanilla to Chapter1 did a lot, depite my love of Norse starts. For those who bought everything under the sun, do you think it's been a good buy? Like, worth buying the base game in price over again, type of stuff? Not rhetorical, am actually interested in how satisfied you all are.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

To my knowledge I have every bit of CK3 content money can buy and I’ve been very happy with it. With T&T last year it eclipsed Stellaris as my favorite PDS game and if these two expansions are as good as their work with Chapter 2 I’m sure that’ll only become moreso.

Edit: the event pack will be largely overlooked here, but a new lifestyle is pretty cool. And more travel stuff will hopefully tie in well with unlanded characters.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Serephina posted:

Here's a question for ya'll: Do you think chapter 3 will be worth it improve upon the game in ways that matter to you?

For me, I bought CK3 when inebriated so I got the chapter 1 rollup, and have seen a few dribbles of chapter 2. It's not really been stuff that makes me jump up and down crying 'Finally, just what I've been waiting for!'. Like, if you care a lot of listen to the dev streams it feels easy to get caught up in the hype, but when I just login after a patch and see a bunch of stuff fiddled with as I squint at the patch notes (they seem to assume you're following their stuff pre-emptively I find) nothing really seems to excite me. Like, travelling around the continent? err, ok, I guess? The idea of house rivalries was the thing that excited me the most, so of course it was a total non-feature, just my luck.

So yea, I'm not really sure the upgrade from Vanilla to Chapter1 did a lot, depite my love of Norse starts. For those who bought everything under the sun, do you think it's been a good buy? Like, worth buying the base game in price over again, type of stuff? Not rhetorical, am actually interested in how satisfied you all are.

I mean, for me, yeah, I'm gonna buy it. But as for "what I've been waiting for", I haven't really had any expectations for most of CK3's run. I think Tours and Tournaments was really good, though most of the good stuff was in the free update, but as someone who had it day one it's hard for me to distinguish between what was free and what wasn't.

Rather, I look at this stuff, and I think most of it sounds pretty/potentially good. The one rough spot I have is legitimacy, at this point I'm not quite certain what it adds that the game needs right now, or if it necessarily even will cover all the systems it could/should, or if it'll be something trivial to keep high and get more bonuses from, but I'll wait and see on that. As for legends, I think I can get some interesting storytelling out of that, and I should be able to use it in modding as well. Disease, I am largely ambivalent towards, but something to shake up the moment to moment gameplay could be good so I'm still cautiously optimistic, and an excuse to add things like burial rites and honoring the dead sounds good. The one thing I think I "wanted" out of CK3 at this point was a revamp of empires to be something more than just a title above kingdom, and the second DLC is promising to deliver on that. So for me, it's worth it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i hope legitimacy is a way to make succession more of a gently caress. kingship successions succeed way more like 50% of the time than the 95% you get with mediocre play

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic, though this probably won't be worth it to me. I stopped playing and buying before Travels and Tournaments or whatever it was called, figure I'll wait around until they (or mods) make different political systems play differently, and ideally add some trade functionality (by which I mean to stress not CK2 merchant republics really, just some trade ideas; lets have a system to see why there were so many Scandinavians on the Dnepro and Volga rivers...). This doesn't really look like it'll so that, but steps in the right direction at least.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

I am hoping that the addition of landlessness means we can pick the next player character separately from the title heirs. I'd like it if I could play some lesser heir and go off and found a new Kingdom, or alternatively play as a more talented heir and launch an underdog war for rule based on the new legitimacy mechanic.

Siblings going off as adventurers and coming back when you hit low legitimacy to try and take their shot would be good too. Old king with few children or bad children? Maybe that older duke with a large family would be better suited for leadership now and in future generations.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Serephina posted:

As someone who's only played pretty small amounts of CK3 after spending loads of time with CK2, I've found of the changes since launch/in the 2-3 transition, I'm most dissatisfied with the religious system (there's a better heresy/interreligious relationship system, but all of the religions feel generic and it feels the effort went into the 'build your own religion' rather than fleshing out the religious dynamics of the time period, which is the opposite of my interests).

The cultural changes with royal court and travel changes with tours and tournaments were 'can't go back' upgrades for me - they do a great job feeling like you have a location now and like the world is alive, rather than bouncing around the map event to event. Of those two, I would say the travel change was the more impactful one.

In terms of cost, even with a pretty limited amount of play I've probably got my money's worth for the base game and dlcs.

Yuiiut fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 6, 2024

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope they get the plague mechanics right, as I found the final implementation in CK2 to be a drag. I always slammed the gates immediately when the plague warning sounded, and put every spare gold piece into hospital infrastructure. But seeing how it worked in older versions ("you and half your family dies, oh well"), that doesn't feel good either.

No idea what a good system would look like, and I'm not going to immediately assume this won't work, but there is a certain pit in my stomach from CK2 whenever I see those brown clouds roll across the map.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sounds like it works great then

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Travel mechanics mean when they add papal mechanics you can Henry at Canossa... man ck3 might be secretly really good...

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

SirPhoebos posted:

I hope they get the plague mechanics right, as I found the final implementation in CK2 to be a drag. I always slammed the gates immediately when the plague warning sounded, and put every spare gold piece into hospital infrastructure. But seeing how it worked in older versions ("you and half your family dies, oh well"), that doesn't feel good either.

No idea what a good system would look like, and I'm not going to immediately assume this won't work, but there is a certain pit in my stomach from CK2 whenever I see those brown clouds roll across the map.

It will be interesting how much the plague mechanics work with the travel systems. I.e. Royal courts and nobility with money who can either flee to the country or flee to other courts start trying to leave plague counties, but also end up spreading it in some cases. In those cases, closing the gates might have dire diplomatic consequences and result in reduced legitimacy since you might end up so shut off from the world that no one knows why they call you King at all. On the other hand, you might have great results from hosting fleeing nobility or letting them stay and also up your legitimacy, but at a risk of the court getting plague, half your court dropping dead, and visitors, courtiers, etc, fleeing elsewhere to try and avoid the plague.

I think the big issue with closing the gates in CK2 was that there was surprisingly little risk to doing it outside of a few odd events. Same for hospitals, they were a flat advantage. In that regard I think the travel system could be interesting there too - if you just make your capital have a massive hospital, you might very well end up with every plagued noble knocking on your door demanding care so while the hospital is good at preventing plague, it also tends to attract ill people with the means to travel if you dramatically overbuild the hospitals in your capital exclusively.

ZeeCee fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 6, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Yuiiut posted:

The cultural changes with royal court and travel changes with tours and tournaments were 'can't go back' upgrades for me - they do a great job feeling like you have a location now and like the world is alive, rather than bouncing around the map event to event. Of those two, I would say the travel change was the more impactful one.

I've been arguing with myself over how to respond to Serephina's question all afternoon and I think this nails it for me. The major additions to the game since launch have been in areas that were really important to me and Chapter III is continuing in that vein, so I'm pretty happy with my purchases even at the price points on offer, but for people with different importance rankings than me I get being dissatisfied, particularly since all of these additions have taken a while so anything that has been lower on PDS' list has stayed as is for years.

I haven't played since before the Persia DLC because BG3 ate my fall, and with the announcement that Legends is coming out in a month I probably won't bother updating all my mods to start a new run until after that, but I'm definitely looking forward.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

You add consequences for closing the borders, and then most importantly of all, give all of the plagues randomized names every time so that the player doesn't know the correct action to take in every circumstance.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So what is the accepted meta around lifestyle paths? I've sort of sussed out which ones to go with and which ones to avoid, but I'd like to see a comprehensive breakdown.

Regarding the upcoming DLC, I'm really excited for playing landless characters, because they seem to be engaged in their whole own side of the game that the player only sometimes comes in contact with.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 7, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I thought the meta was to constantly be swapping lifestyles to cherry-pick all the OP perks at the start of every tree. There's some merit to staying in the martial trees when you're small, or roleplaying a stabber / seducer / peacemonger, or even having a character-specific goal such as "this guy will reform a religion/dump my gold supplies into buildings", but afaik generic play typically doesn't commit until one is an old man in their golden years.

For some commentary on the T1 perks:
-Military you get Serve the Crown asap since it's nuts, Bellum Justum is always worth, then spend the rest of your 5/6 years grabbing what you want from the left or right trees.
-Stewardship is Golden Obligations then the rest is context-sensitive for the remaining years.
-Intrigue's Truth is Relative is probably the biggest gamechanger for the least investment. The left and right trees are great fun but not really strong in an objective sense, and seduction is (pardon the pun) nine points for gently caress-all.
-Diplomacy's right tree has Befriend and scales pretty linearly after that and is tempting to stay past 5 years.
-Learning has some good stuff but they're all further up in the left or mid trees, so it's better (imo) to commit to them during the golden retirement.

A lot of that is my bias, but committing to the Family Heirach, Whole of Body, or Scholar trees are always good picks for non-themed player characters.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
i’d really like additional lifestyle paths. with one play through you end up making them all out multiple times and it loses the fun pretty quickly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
new travel lifestyle in the coming dlc, says right there

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Currently, it looks like plagues and legends use the same 'system'-- a barony spread chance with modifiers. You can assign court positions to tasks (court physician for plagues, court chronicler for legends) to modify this probability. I didn't see any decisions like closing the borders, though. Given this, the CK3 equivalent is probably moving your realm capital to an island. Or better yet, just moving out of the region entirely

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

new travel lifestyle in the coming dlc, says right there

i want MORE

also i want my cat on my lap when i'm sitting on the throne

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Where would be a good place to ask for mod reccomendations or modding help, I'd like to find or create a mod that:

- Lets you claim duchies within a kingdom for a family member who is either unlanded or landed in the kingdom in question.
- Invasion CB on a Kingdom on behalf of a unlanded family member or landed family member in the kingdom.

I have a MP CK3 game we're still planning but we're thinking that we want to setup a metagame of getting score based on planting family members on various thrones and making it easier to prettify borders without you yourself taking land directly (as the idea is we'd have strict size limits for "tall" gameplay being encouraged).

Basically instead of having to deal with people sometimes technically breaking the house rules taking land in order to land relatives, especially for Kingdom tier titles, it would be nice if we could mod in that gameplay directly so the only time you go over the limit is by inheritance or some rear end in a top hat count taking land.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

scaterry posted:

Currently, it looks like plagues and legends use the same 'system'-- a barony spread chance with modifiers. You can assign court positions to tasks (court physician for plagues, court chronicler for legends) to modify this probability. I didn't see any decisions like closing the borders, though. Given this, the CK3 equivalent is probably moving your realm capital to an island. Or better yet, just moving out of the region entirely

Praying for a southward map expansion so we can play on Madagascar

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
im amused that the store page kinda makes it look like they're asking you to pay $40 (but it's 20% off!) for some Capet outfits

shoulda had something notable out the gate perhaps

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I was thinking about getting Wards and Wardens, what's the goonsensus on it? Friends and Foes was an absolute hot mess and riddled with bugs, I'd rather avoid a similar experience...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Freudian slippers posted:

I was thinking about getting Wards and Wardens, what's the goonsensus on it? Friends and Foes was an absolute hot mess and riddled with bugs, I'd rather avoid a similar experience...

Probably you cant avoid the bugs by not buying the DLC, they usually come with the update

As for the DLC itself, its very light on features, barely makes a difference imo

edit: speaking of bugs, game is still barely playable on linux, crashing all the time. They didint say anything about that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 8, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fajita Queen posted:

Praying for a southward map expansion so we can play on Madagascar

Introduce landless characters with a new 250CE campaign so we can play the original austronesian settlers

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

It all makes sense now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
idgi

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I'm assuming those are screenshots from Putin's interview with Tucker where he reportedly spent most of an hour pushing a thousand years of weird historical narratives that supposedly justify his current war - which is, more or less, what the Fabricate Claim button is supposed to represent.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I think my biggest grip with Ck3 is that they doesn't let you be socialist. Like, I have a hundred gold a month, let me use 40-50 of that gpm to like, improve the life of my subject or something. I don't want feast or hunts because your character will die, all their prestige will be lost with them and people will probably hate your heir for reason outside your control.

I want to be the strongest not because of my armies or the wealth I hoard, but because my subject eat meals reserved for Kings and Emperor for breakfeast. You have big armies with two big alliance? That's so sad, because your alliances will be over the moment I plunged my knife into your back. I want my greatness to not be built on conquest or some random event that only five people will attend, I want to be great because I slapped a bunch of gold for development and built some university in some backwater county that no one gives a crap about other than the people living there.

Please Paradox, let me be a socialist, it totally won't feed my megalomaniac tendecies, it's a great idea I swear-

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you want improvident stress trait and generous personality trait

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
there is 'communal possessions' tenet and 'collective lands' tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
but also nobody talking about medieval or early modern ideas that seem like proto-socialism to us was a baron or count of anything. if they were, they wouldn't have had to come up with the idea