Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Phigs posted:

Also my impression from Putin's interview was less that his history lesson was justifying territorial grabs from Ukraine and more that he was saying that they should be friends. That they should be aligned with Russia because they have a shared culture and history. If Poland wants to hate Russia then whatever, but Ukraine isn't allowed to.

my impression is that he's calling into question the legitmacy of the birth of a nation (of ukraine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That too, but I don't think he minds as long as Ukraine stays aligned to Russia.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here's the transcript from the Kremlin-run website en.kremlin.ru for those who are unable/unwilling to watch the video
http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/73411

also lol

quote:

All content on this site is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International
Presidential Executive Office

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There's not going to be a place called Ukraine after this. Kiev oblast maybe. Greater Hungary, Greater Poland, etc.

I wonder what the balance sheet impact will be when all that debt Ukraine owes gets zeroed / written off. I mean its not like its real money in the first place just spreadsheet cells but I'm sure someone will be worked up over it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

There's not going to be a place called Ukraine after this. Kiev oblast maybe.

A week before the SMO:

gradenko_2000 posted:

playing through the Prologue part of COD Black Ops 3 and during the "here's all the places we did CIA poo poo in" montage it cuts from Uzbekistan to Thailand to Morocco to Beirut to Kenya to Siberia to the "Kiev Republic"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the Kiev republic can work out a payment plan with the USA. Something like I don't know, fifty bucks a week until paid off?

It's just a delinquent welfare recipient after all.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the city-state of kiyv

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ughh at least get the henschel turret, fuckin Porsche garbage

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its funny how bad all the porsche armor is
ferdinand porsche could prolly design better racecars than anyone alive at that time with that technology, not a single good piece of military equipment

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

here's the transcript from the Kremlin-run website en.kremlin.ru for those who are unable/unwilling to watch the video
http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/73411

also lol

Vladimir Putin posted:

Let's not talk about who is afraid of whom, let's not reason in such terms. And let's get into the fact that after 1991, when Russia expected that it would be welcomed into the brotherly family of ”civilized nations,“ nothing like this happened. You tricked us (I don't mean you personally when I say ”you“, of course, I'm talking about the United States), the promise was that NATO would not expand eastward, but it happened five times, there were five waves of expansion. We tolerated all that, we were trying to persuade them, we were saying: ”Please don't, we are as bourgeois now as you are, we are a market economy, and there is no Communist Party power. Let's negotiate.“ Moreover, I have also said this publicly before (let's look at Yeltsin's times now), there was a moment when a certain rift started growing between us. Before that, Yeltsin came to the United States, remember, he spoke in Congress and said the good words: ”God bless America“. Everything he said were signals — let us in.

woe befall all those who take the words of the great satan at face value

edit:

Vladimir Putin posted:

I repeatedly raised the issue that the United States should not support separatism or terrorism in the North Caucasus. But they continued to do it anyway. And political support, information support, financial support, even military support came from the United States and its satellites for terrorist groups in the Caucasus.

I said to the FSB Director: ”Write to the CIA. What is the result of the conversation with the President?“ He wrote once, twice, and then we got a reply. We have the answer in the archive. The CIA replied: ”We have been working with the opposition in Russia. We believe that this is the right thing to do and we will keep on doing it.“ Just ridiculous. Well, okay. We realised that it was out of the question.

just the usa being usa

Danann has issued a correction as of 08:28 on Feb 10, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Claim: This is one huge clusterfuck
Fact: Actually things are going better than ever, morale is high and our position grows stronger every day, recruitment offices are overwhelmed with volunteers. Slava baklava!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Claim: A > B
Fact: A < B + C + D

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I don't know why but it is very funny to me how they just bluntly state the US considers Russia an enemy there.

Like Putin just spent like 1.5 hours of a 2 hour interview talking about how Russia has tried over and over for decades to be friends with the US and that he still doesn't really understand why they are not friends now, and the US is just over here going 'yeah, Ukraine is at war with our enemy, Russia'.

The tragedy of Russia is that Russians are apparently congenitally unable to recognise contempt.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Have you seen all the unprovoked illegal invasions post-91 Russia did?

Have you seen all the treaties post-91 Russia entered into and violated?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

HazCat posted:

Like Putin just spent like 1.5 hours of a 2 hour interview talking about how Russia has tried over and over for decades to be friends with the US and that he still doesn't really understand why they are not friends now

Russians think they're white and the United States doesn't think they're white (not anglo whites, anyways).

Racist demon nation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

claim: thing bad
fact: thing good, actually

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

quote:

Tucker Carlson: Who blew up Nord Stream?

Vladimir Putin: You, for sure. (L a u g h i n g.)

the tucker carlson nordstream bomber theory

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

HazCat posted:

I don't know why but it is very funny to me how they just bluntly state the US considers Russia an enemy there.

Like Putin just spent like 1.5 hours of a 2 hour interview talking about how Russia has tried over and over for decades to be friends with the US and that he still doesn't really understand why they are not friends now, and the US is just over here going 'yeah, Ukraine is at war with our enemy, Russia'.

The tragedy of Russia is that Russians are apparently congenitally unable to recognise contempt.

putin is flat out pointing that the united states is making a ton of mistakes like weaponizing the dollar and letting the intelligence agency throw coups that damage geopolitical strategy in the long run

it's a safe bet that basically everyone with power in the us will have ignored it and continue to make more mistakes in the future

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

https://www.rferl.org/amp/ukraine-army-chief-replacement-vox-pop/32812638.html

Few Welcome Ukraine's New Army Chief

February 09, 2024 15:51 GMT

By RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service and
Volodymyr Pautov

Several residents of Kyiv voiced their disapproval of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's decision to replace his top military commander. They spoke to RFE/RL on February 9, a day after Colonel General Oleksandr Syrskiy was named as Ukraine's new army chief.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/09/ukraine-fresh-approach-battlefield-new-top-general-oleksandr-syrskyi

Ukraine needs fresh approach on battlefield, says new top general
Shaun Walker in Kyiv and Pjotr Sauer
Fri 9 Feb 2024 15.15 GMT

Ukraine’s newly appointed top general has said a new approach is required to achieve success on the battlefield, in his first public comments since taking command as armed forces chief.

“Only changes and constant improvement of the means and methods of warfare will make it possible to achieve success on this path,” said Gen Oleksandr Syrskyi, singling out drones and electronic warfare as examples of new technology that he said would help Ukraine achieve victory.

Syrskyi was appointed to the top job by the president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, on Thursday in a controversial shake-up that marks the biggest military reshuffle since Russia’s full-scale invasion nearly two years ago.

Syrskyi has replaced Valerii Zaluzhnyi, a popular commander whose relations with Zelenskiy had become strained in recent months. Critics have suggested Zelenskiy may have been partly motivated by concerns over Zaluzhnyi’s high approval ratings in Ukrainian society and his potential to one day become a political challenger.

Changes at the top of the army have been the main topic of conversation in Ukraine since last Monday, when news leaked that Zelenskiy had asked Zaluzhnyi to resign and he had declined.

Borislav Bereza, a former opposition MP who was one of the first to leak news of the initial meeting, said Zelenskiy’s team had subsequently made several attempts to persuade Zaluzhnyi to resign voluntarily, but he had rejected all of them. However, he said the general understood the need for wartime unity so did not want to rock the boat too much.

“Zaluzhnyi is a person oriented on the needs of the state, he understands that if he says: ‘I’m leaving but I’ll be coming back,’ it would bring dissonance into Ukrainian society,” said Bereza.

In a show of unity on Friday, Zelenskiy awarded Zaluzhnyi the Hero of Ukraine award, the country’s highest honour.

The defence minister, Rustem Umerov, said he had introduced Syrskyi to the general staff. “Defence is in good hands,” he wrote on Facebook.

US funding failure will have serious battlefield consequences, says Ukraine

The change in commanders comes as Ukraine’s forces face their toughest period since the opening weeks of the war, contending with a failure to retake significant territory since late 2022, Russia on the attack around the city of Avdiivka and other parts of the frontline, and a delay in funding from the US that has added to ammunition shortages. Zelenskiy’s aide Mykhailo Podolyak said in an interview this week that Russia was firing up to 10,000 shells a day while Ukraine was able to fire only 1,500 – to 2,500.

Some of the concern about Syrskyi among the rank and file is over his reputation as a “Soviet-style” general who has little regard for the lives of his troops. Formerly commander of the land forces, Syrskyi is credited with masterminding the defence of Kyiv in the beginning of the war and the successful counteroffensive in Kharkiv region in late 2022, but has also been criticised for fighting on in the ultimately failed defence of Bakhmut at the cost of many lives.

Perhaps to address this criticism, Syrskyi in his statement on Friday said: “The life and health of servicemen have always been and are the main value of the Ukrainian army.”

Syrskyi was born in Russia’s Vladimir region, then part of the Soviet Union, and attended the Moscow high military command school before moving to Ukraine in the 1980s. His close family still lives in Russia. “I’m not in touch with him, I don’t even know where he is. I don’t know anything about him,” his brother Oleg told the Russian state news agency Ria hours after Syrskyi’s appointment was made public.

On Odnoklassniki, a popular Russian social network, Oleg and Syrskyi’s 82-year-old mother, Lyudmila, appeared to have frequently “liked” posts that back Russia’s invasion.

Zelenskiy’s office has portrayed Syrskyi as someone who could offer a new approach on the battlefield, though it has not provided specifics. “In 2023 there were particular expectations and we did not meet them. Now it’s 2024, it can’t just be a year that we sit and wait for something to happen in Russia. We need direct answers to real questions … because right now we are in stagnation,” Podolyak said this week.

fizziester has issued a correction as of 10:15 on Feb 10, 2024

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

https://www.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/10/europe/syrskyi-ukraine-challenges-war-intl/index.html

Outmanned and outgunned: Ukraine’s new army chief faces big challenges in taking the fight to Russia
By Tim Lister, Frederik Pleitgen, Joseph Ataman and Darya Tarasova, CNN
9 minute read
Published 12:00 AM EST, Sat February 10, 2024

The worst kept secret in Kyiv has finally been confirmed: the man who led Ukraine’s armed forces for two years is out of his job.

President Volodymyr Zelensky replaced General Valerii Zaluzhnyi on Thursday, after 10 days of rumor and speculation – and months of a fraying relationship.

The announcement comes at a critical moment in the war with Russia and is likely to herald a change in Ukrainian strategy. But it is also hazardous.

The removal of Zaluzhnyi from his position as commander-in-chief comes as Ukrainian units are on the backfoot in several parts of the long front line, especially in the eastern Donetsk and Kharkiv regions. They are desperately short of shells and other munitions and running short of experienced soldiers.

The Russian war machine is running at full tilt and has a much larger pool of men to draw from than Ukraine to replenish its ranks. Russia is skirting international sanctions and its oil revenues help fund plentiful war spending.

Zelensky said he and Zaluzhnyi had a “frank discussion about what needs to be changed in the army. Urgent changes.” He added that “the feeling of stagnation in the southern areas and the difficulties in the fighting in Donetsk region have affected the public mood.”

The public mood is indeed gloomier. According to a recent survey in Ukraine, those who believe that events are going in the wrong direction increased from 16% in May 2022 to 33% in December 2023.

It’s unlikely that Zaluzhnyi’s replacement, General Oleksandr Syrskyi, will offer a radical change of style but he is thought to be closer to Zelensky.

Syrskyi has been in command of land forces since the Russian invasion but was criticized for extending the defense of Bakhmut at great human cost. Subordinates have described him as lacking empathy and some soldiers took to calling him “General 200” (200 is the military code for killed-in-action.)

Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Reuters
“Syrskyi is seen a consensus choice,” says Matthew Schmidt, director of the International Affairs program at the University of New Haven in Connecticut.

“Some say he’s too Soviet, meaning unimaginative but capable, some say he doesn’t take uncomfortable truths well – something Zaluzhnyi did – and some say he’s the best of the worst kind of general.”

Schmidt says there are few options right now. “Maybe it’s a phase in the war where a safe choice is the right move.”

Syrskyi’s most urgent task will be to stabilize the front lines. Also in his inbox: how to replenish the depleted ranks of some of Ukraine’s best brigades and how to expedite the arrival of Western munitions at the front lines - and how to cope until that happens.

Other priorities include: what stress to place on longer-range strikes against Russian infrastructure such as fuel depots and military bases, integrating F-16 combat aircraft into battle plans, and the rapid development of the next generation of unmanned systems.

Shortages on the frontlines

Amid persistent Russian attacks around Avdiivka and Kupyansk, “the first priority is make sure you can hold the current line of contact,” Schmidt says.

“Putin’s tactical weakness doesn’t mean he can’t kill thousands of his soldiers in an attempt to take significant chunks of territory. Any new chief of staff has to respect that risk,” he adds.

Frontline units in several vulnerable areas told CNN in recent weeks that they were often chronically short of ammunition, particularly Western 155mm artillery shells. At one gun position, troops were resupplied with smoke shells after exhausting their high-explosive ammunition, they said.

“It’s better than no shells,” one soldier said.

The head of Ukrainian Military Intelligence, Lt. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov, told CNN at the end of January that ammunition is “one of the most decisive factors” in the war.

With the Biden administration’s package of $61 billion in military aid blocked in Congress, the US has been sending smaller packages for several months, and the slowdown has already begun affecting the Ukrainian military’s planning and operations, according to US officials.

Schmidt says “the immediate priority is to get enough artillery shells to the front to keep the Russians from exploiting the pause in US aid. Each artillery shell that’s available to fire equates to needing fewer infantry to hold the line.”

Unclogging the pipeline of US military aid and boosting European production of munitions are critical priorities if Ukraine is to move from hanging on to fighting back. The EU has acknowledged it will fall far short of its goal of producing one million artillery shells for Ukraine in the year to March, estimating the number will be roughly half of that.

This week, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said: “If you ask a soldier at the front what he needs most right now, he will say shells. This answer was the same yesterday, a month ago, six months ago and a year ago.”

“The main goal is to ensure that the shell shortage never turns into a shell famine,” he added.

Outnumbered

Russia’s pool of manpower is at least three times greater than that of Ukraine. Budanov told CNN that Russian forces in and near Ukrainian territory “consist of 510,000 military personnel alone.”

Ukraine’s more professional units are exhausted by two years of non-stop combat, their ranks thinned by casualties. Ukraine does not publish figures, but US officials estimate that as many as 70,000 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed and nearly twice that number injured.

The scale and speed of additional mobilization in Ukraine is a thorny political question, and one source of the rift between Zelensky and Zaluzhnyi, who said the military needed another half-million soldiers and criticized “gaps in our legislation that allow citizens to evade their responsibilities.”

In a column for CNN last week, Zaluzhnyi said: “We must acknowledge the significant advantage enjoyed by the enemy in mobilizing human resources and how that compares with the inability of state institutions in Ukraine to improve the manpower levels of our armed forces without the use of unpopular measures.”

A bill passing through the Ukrainian parliament would lower the minimum age for the draft to 25 from 27 (a provision Zelensky did not sign last year) and introduce harsh punishments for people who flout mobilization rules. Citizens of military age would be obliged to carry military registration documents with them.

A more ambitious version of the bill was withdrawn amid public criticism, and it remains to be seen how effective the new measure is in addressing serious shortfalls. Zelensky is concerned about the government’s ability to pay for a larger standing army (frontline pay is six times the average Ukrainian wage at $3000 per month) and about the political risk.

“The population is still committed to the fight, we see that in opinion surveys, but they’re exhausted,” Schmidt says.

Unmanned systems

Zaluzhnyi has persistently argued that given Russia’s higher pool of manpower and armor, Ukraine needs a step-change in its battlefield technology: more sophisticated drones and other unmanned systems would provide real-time intelligence and accurate targeting information, for example.

In his recent essay Zaluzhnyi suggested that turbo-charging such investment, as well as embracing cyber technology, could produce results within five months.

Time is of the essence. The Russian military continues to make mistakes, but it is learning and adapting, especially in the exploitation of attack and reconnaissance drones and electronic warfare.

Budanov told CNN that the Russians had conducted “what you call ‘lessons learned’ and drew their own conclusions…The number of unmanned systems of all kinds, including ground-based systems and so on, has increased significantly.”

Ukrainian soldiers defending the skies around the capital, Kyiv, told CNN that the Russians were fielding new camouflage, deceptive flightpaths and engineering innovations to make their drones and missiles harder to take down.

The Russian military has also exploited glide technology to deliver aerial bombs more accurately, one reason that the Ukrainian offensive in the south faltered last summer.

Put simply, Ukraine needs to widen the technological gap, as Zelensky acknowledged in his address announcing the leadership shake-up. Its rapidly expanding domestic drone industry will be critical in that effort and is already showing results.

First person, or ‘FPV’ drones deployed in the Avdiivka area have had a devastating effect on Russian attempts to encircle the town, inflicting heavy losses on tanks and munitions vehicles. Lt. Gen. Serhii Naiev, Commander of Ukraine’s Joint Forces, says they are a “much cheaper but no less effective means of destroying enemy equipment and manpower than anti-tank missile systems and artillery ammunition.”

The introduction of F-16s, expected at the earliest this spring, should erode the Russians’ edge in the skies, but Zaluzhnyi’s stated goal of achieving absolute air superiority to enable Ukraine to go on the offensive seems a distant prospect. Meshing the new combat planes into an overall battle strategy will be a critical task for Syrskyi.

One area where the Ukrainians have been successful in recent months is in extending their attacks against Russian military infrastructure, transport links and refineries, as far away as St Petersburg and the Russian Far East.

The recent drone or UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) strike on a refinery in Volgograd was the latest win in a series of targeted strikes.

More significant still, and despite having virtually no navy of its own, the special operations run by Budanov and the Security Service (SBU) have “allowed Ukraine to bottle up the Russian Black Sea Fleet in port…while also destroying multiple air-defense and ammunition sites in Crimea,” according to the US Naval Institute.

Ukraine has pioneered the development of maritime drones to take out several of the Black Sea Fleet’s warships. Aerial drones, missiles and sabotage operations have at least disrupted Russian logistics.

“They need to interdict Russia supply lines in Ukraine and make the Russian public feel the war in their daily lives. If Putin has to move resources to protect his rear, that means less to go on the attack with,” in Schmidt’s view.

Big shoes to fill

Over the past year, a sense of optimism among Ukraine’s allies and frontline commanders alike has given way to a darker mood, as Zelensky has acknowledged. Zaluzhnyi’s gloomy assessment in December was that “There will most likely be no deep and beautiful breakthrough,” a comment that did not endear him to the presidency.

Exhaustion at home, squabbles among allies (the EU versus Hungary) and the paralysis in Congress have added to what is a bleak outlook. Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin has been buoyed by the possibility of Donald Trump returning to the White House.

Filling Zaluzhnyi’s shoes won’t be easy.

Mick Ryan, a retired Australian general who has visited Ukraine and met with senior officials, describes him as a “charismatic and popular military leader who anticipated and prepared in the weeks before the Russian large-scale invasion.”

“He is a heroic figure – devaluing his achievements is impossible,” one soldier fighting in Zaporizhzhia told CNN.

Syrskyi has his own achievements, especially the defense of Kyiv in the early days and the lightning offensive that recovered swathes of Kharkiv in September 2022.

But the conflict has changed vastly since then.

In the immediate future, the Ukrainian leadership must show unity after what has been a messy changeover. Myhailo Podolyak, an adviser to the office of the President, said that “during a war, political competition, especially at the level of the army, generals, and politicians, doesn’t look so good.”

Instilling a new sense of purpose is all the more important as Ukraine faces a window of vulnerability.

As Matthew Schmidt puts it, Putin “can throw bodies at the enemy, using Russian quantity to overcome Ukrainian quality. It’s a very Stalinist approach to the battlefield, and it’s built into Russian strategic culture.”

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

"Soviet-style general" may as well be a euphemism for commanders who are trying to win. Nobody wants to die for the homeland anymore.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i like the low-poly type 16, just a turret on a box

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...drones-at-them/

Six Russian Soldiers Strolled Into Avdiivka. Out Of Artillery, the Ukrainians Had To Fling Drones At Them.

David Axe
Feb 9, 2024,05:58pm EST

A Ukrainian drone spotted the six Russian soldiers walking toward the city from the north. Another drone—or several—harried the Russians with grenades, wounding or killing most if not all of them.

But not before the Russians strolled to within 700 yards of Hrushevsky Street, the main supply route into Avdiivka’s city center, where the Ukrainian army’s weary 110th Mechanized Brigade has held out ever since Russia widened its war on Ukraine two years ago.

The 110th Brigade and adjacent units are running out of infantry, running out of ammunition and running out of time as a pair of Russian field armies hurls more and more troops into the Avdiivka meatgrinder.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

okay now they're just getting a little too lazy

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Both turrets were made by Henschel :eng101:

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
vladimir ‘stalputler’ putin is so stupid he spent 69 years sending Azov Nazis back in 1:5 trades and he’s still an intellectual Titan compared to any leader the wehst have lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Putin is over 70 and he is still bitter about the west shutting the door on him in every turn. He doesn't remember when he talked to Biden last time but he remembers every detail of getting the cold shoulder from the US and EU in every party event.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/9/7441200/

Ukrainian President's Office considers audit a key task of new commander-in-chief: out of 1 million mobilised soldiers only 300,000 were on front

ALONA MAZURENKO — FRIDAY, 9 FEBRUARY 2024, 19:58

Mykhailo Podoliak, the advisor to the head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, has stated that Ukraine’s leadership expects Oleksandr Syrsky, the newly-appointed chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine to conduct an "audit" of soldiers, because out of the 1 million of mobilised soldiers only 300,000 persons participated in combat.

Source: Podoliak in the broadcast of the national 24/7 newscast

Quote: "The President said a different thing, for instance, speaking about the renewal of the leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, he said: ‘About 1 million people have been mobilised’. But in reality only 200,000-300,000 soldiers have been on the front.

Others were very far from the war, but they still exist. So I think one of the key tasks of Syrskyi will be to conduct an audit: who’s been mobilised, where they are and what they are up to. And after that he will say how many people are needed.

Mobilisation must be ongoing constantly and not be done in one sitting. Mr Syrskyi must say where and how mobilised people were deployed or will be deployed."

Details: Podoliak says that there must be a clear understanding of who and how will replace the soldiers who have been in the front for almost two years.

He noted that from now on all issues concerning staffing of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, training of soldiers, making management decisions (on mobilisation, rotation, demobilisation) will be connected with the commander-in-chief.

Podoliak stated that this is another gap which must be filled: "The military must explain everything concerning mobilisation in clear terms: its procedures, which needs of the army must be covered, how it all must be conducted, how to facilitate rotations [etc.]."

He recalled that after replacing the commander-in-chief, the president named 3-4 tasks to be completed: "We need to clearly understand the tactics because 2023 did not give the results we had expected in offensive operations. We cannot remain stagnant in 2024. We need to work out a step-by-step algorithm of what to do next."

Podoliak said that first and foremost, Ukraine’s Armed Forces must decide "who will make decisions on different levels in the Armed Forces and which decisions these will be, taking into account that there is a large group of field generals working on the front whose opinion on what to do is a bit different because they know Russia’s resources".

Background: 

On 8 February, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Valerii Zaluzhnyi, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, simultaneously reported having had a joint meeting and said they had discussed changes in the leadership of the Armed Forces.

Later that day, Zelenskyy appointed Colonel General Oleksandr Syrskyi as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, replacing Valerii Zaluzhnyi. 

Mykhailo Podoliak, Advisor to the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, said that the need to review military tactics and prevent stagnation at the front was one of the reasons why Valerii Zaluyzhnyi had been dismissed as commander-in-chief.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Soviet-style general" may as well be a euphemism for commanders who are trying to win. Nobody wants to die for the homeland anymore.

real terrible that the new soviet-style general doesn't have any regard for his soldiers' lives, as opposed to the old western-style general who kept sending them into hopeless meatgrinders for no gain

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

real terrible that the new soviet-style general doesn't have any regard for his soldiers' lives, as opposed to the old western-style general who kept sending them into hopeless meatgrinders for no gain

The main difference is the machine guns in the assault teams now serve to stay at the back and shoot anyone who refuses to advance or tries running away. (checks notes) Actually I retract that last statement, no changes noted.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Putin is over 70 and he is still bitter about the west shutting the door on him in every turn. He doesn't remember when he talked to Biden last time but he remembers every detail of getting the cold shoulder from the US and EU in every party event.

of course he remembers when he last spoke to biden, I'm guesing it was unofficial and to be kept that way

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020
Yea the "I forgot" was one of the most obvious lies put to video

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Doktor Avalanche posted:

of course he remembers when he last spoke to biden, I'm guesing it was unofficial and to be kept that way
eh. while he doesn't always speak bluntly and full-truths, i doubt he was lying in this case per se. talking with biden himself, it'd just be him rambling about cornpops and smelling daisies in girls hair, the dudes brain is more mush than reagan -- whats that going to accomplish? blinken or other guys? yeah possibly but that wasnt the question

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HazCat posted:

The real tragedy of Russia is that they desperately wanted to be, and would be, just another neoliberal hellscape in the giant Western neoliberal blob. They to could be enjoying food and energy price inflation of up to 50% if not for sheer US incompetence. Dugins out there wistfully looking at China while Putins just like 'yeah we just want to eat burger all day but the US was really mean'.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is very possible he has only talked with Biden in very isolated circumstances since there just isn't a real reason to talk with someone who absolutely hates you and your country and wants it destroyed without question. The dementia adds complications but there really just isn't common ground.

It is why Russian strategy has finally adjusted to "there will never be real compromise and it will be simply about the facts on the ground." Btw, I think the Russians would absolutely stomp on any NATO force (Polish, Romanian or otherwise) who tried to get into Ukraine. The point he was making about the Soviet period and the Hungarians was that cultural autonomy is the norm, but cultural autonomy under a Russian state (everything since Novgorod/Kievan Rus is now a Russian state).

The problem arose, between Russia and the US, is simply the Russians would never accept a completely subordinate status ala Germany/Japan. The Plaza Accords happens simply out of the fear that Japan was getting too strong for its own good.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Feb 10, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

What was the tipping point where Soviet leadership became infected with liberalism that led all the way down to where we are today

Khruschchev?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

The real tragedy of Russia is that they desperately wanted to be, and would be, just another neoliberal hellscape in the giant Western neoliberal blob. They to could be enjoying food and energy price inflation of up to 50% if not for sheer US incompetence. Dugins out there wistfully looking at China while Putins just like 'yeah we just want to eat burger all day but the US was really mean'.

Another tragedy is Russia in the last 2 decades have put in considerable effort of trying to avoid brother people fighting and killing each other like in Former Yugoslavia. And it still happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's good when your new Commander-in-Chief is colloquially known by his troops as "The Butcher", and not because he slaughters the enemy. Right?