Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Anyone struggling with matchmaking, particularly on PS5: a huge part of the problem seems to be the backend being unable to keep up with requests. If you ignore the major order and go to the automaton sector, the matchmaking actually works. It's not a 100% success rate, but close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea that sounds right, even between Heeth and the other bug planet, Angel whatever, I noticed a massive difference.

All the different explosion effects are so so good, the napalm looks cool as hell. Minefields are legit probably more harmful than helpful but I'm tempted to grab the incendiary ones anyway

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Badly Jester posted:

Anyone struggling with matchmaking, particularly on PS5: a huge part of the problem seems to be the backend being unable to keep up with requests. If you ignore the major order and go to the automaton sector, the matchmaking actually works. It's not a 100% success rate, but close enough.

Devs say to turn on cross play, go to a planet with less players, or just try to arrange a private group with people.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
A trick I saw on Reddit for PS5:

Drop on a mission on your own, throw an SOS beacon and return to your ship, activate another mission and people will start to join, I think you must have cross play activated, worked for me 3 times in a row, got full squads.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Tested farming for mats on Trivial for the last hour and a half (running around and grabbing samples from/cracking open chests at most of the easily accessible minor points of interest, then beating the mission and getting out), and discovered that while it is kinda boring, it is a moderately effective way to farm common samples as well as a less effective way to passively accumulate smaller amounts of everything else in the game except the higher tier samples (but including super credits).

Don't recommend it unless you just need something to do for a little bit before bed or else you find yourself falling really far behind on common samples for ship modules, but the option's there.

EDIT: Also, even going up to Easy makes this vastly more inefficient. It's Triv or bust. Honestly, unless you have a really good group going, this may just be the fastest way to farm super credits.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 10, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol pulled off a challenging against the robots with two dead and no respawns. The Uzi rules

The robots are fun as hell to fight. Terminators in 'Nam is a hilarious idea. drat if this game doesn't set my pc on fire though. It's riding the redline the whole time for some reason

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 10, 2024

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

how do you get this working btw, they work in Death Stranding but I haven't noticed anything here

I dunno, it just worked for me. I have my controller wired connected though, not sure if that matters.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The haptics are amazing, but after a long playsession and pulling the haptic trigger on the shotgun maybe several thousand times I had a shooting pain up my arm from my finger. Had to switch the aim and fire buttons back to L1/R1 like I do with every other game, so no more adaptive triggers for me. But the haptic rumble is still great.

You probably know this, but the DualSense Edge has adjustable adaptive triggers that let you decide the button-pull distance traveled and can be changed on the fly at any time.

This game has been tough on my hands too though. I keep stretching my right hand to the left thumb stick (or some weird left hand claw grip) to be able to run away from bugs and queue up a Stratagem at the same. I keep telling myself not to, but I still feel compelled to revive my teammates in a hurry. It’s the least I can do after I -accidentally- blew them all to pieces.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am a bit confused here. Is there any matchmaking, in that it drops you into a team? I played my first mission and did not get paired with anyone and did not see anything that resembles that in the options. Unless it is like Deep Rock Galactic in that you just simply either start up a game and wait for others to join or join a current game in progress, which it kind of seems like it is.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If you want people to join, you can drop an SOS beacon during a mission. You can also quickplay into other people's missions but it's unreliable right now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there any difference in reward between joining a mission/quickplay and starting your own mission?

Also I thought matchmaking was fixed for PC at least?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there any difference in reward between joining a mission/quickplay and starting your own mission?

Also I thought matchmaking was fixed for PC at least?

Quick play seems to work fine on pc. Give it a couple tries. Set planet and difficulty first as well

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So where exactly do you shoot a bile titan to hurt it once the weak points are popped?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've played almost 10 hours of this since release, just against bugs on one planet, and am still absolutely engrossed. If they can keep adding new types of bad guys, new objective types, and a steady stream of new environments, I can see myself playing this game for a long time.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

SG-225 Breaker Shotgun in the Warbonds is a full auto version of the one you can get early on, and it loads full mags instead of one shot at a time. It's great for things like chargers if you can get in short-medium range behind them and just unload on their weak point.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sweet democracy, on Haz 6 and up seems like every pubbie just brings a drone and nothing else, and then just runs past everything. I constantly feels like I'm the only one who is actually shooting bugs or brought something to deal with armored enemies. The laser drone is fun and all for killing small crawlers, but for anything else it might as well just be laser pointer.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
What are the must-get Strategems early on? Felt like antitank or recoilless was required for dealing with chargers once they started showing up in packs of 3 or more. The sentry has been super useful for me at least to take off pressure and have some automaton do some friendly fire for once.

Edit: Mostly wondering if stuff like the guard dogs, and some of the more exotic orbitals are worth it?

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 10, 2024

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you need something to damage armoured enemies. I prefer recoilless to anti-tank but it takes too long to reload and pubbies don't really understand teammate reloading yet.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Finally spent some time with this game tonight and I absolutely love it. The difficulty seems insane though, it’s 50/50 if I can extract from an easy mission. All it takes is one or two swipes from a big bug and I’m dead.

Am I missing some defensive mechanic, or is diving to the ground your only recourse?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Jesus, you guys weren't kidding about the terminator bots feeling like a whole different game :stare:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My favored strats are the guard dog drone, the mortar turret even though it's dangerous, the orbital walking bombardment, and a heavy weapon depending on faction and difficulty. I haven't unlocked them all but that's what I prefer so far.

Guard dog is nice just to watch your back and take care of the little guys that can still kill you if you're not careful. Mortar is great for defending an area or attacking a nest, just need to keep the enemy away from you or you'll get blown up along with it.

Walking bombardment is super powerful and can destroy an entire small or medium hive on its own if it's positioned right.

Only thing that sucks is you can't use the drone and the recoilless rifle at the same time since they both involve backpacks. I like the laser launcher a lot although it seems like it hardly works at all against the robots, and of course it can't pierce heavy armor. Really it's better for lower difficulties.

The disposable anti tank gun is actually decent for armor, since it comes with two and has a really short cool down. You can call it down right when the heavies show up while still having another backpack.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i had one crash in 8 hours of playing. game is very good.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ZeusCannon posted:

Holy poo poo the robots are terrifying

this, my God the first mission I ran against the bots

and the one after that

and the one after that...

well done, game, you put together a truly horrific enemy. I was not emotionally prepared for a night fight with bots in the middle of a jungle

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Holy poo poo. I just gave the robots a go and it is Terminator in 'Nam. God above they are *terrifying*.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is one of the few games I regret not being able to join the ranks of Super Citizen.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 10, 2024

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

It's not the subtlest satire I've ever seen, but also lol at "Strohmann News"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Head's up for those who like to go fast: the super credit store cycled a few hours ago and the 250 credit armour on offer right now is a 544 speed light armour (faster than the 525 speed armour you get early on). There's only one other armour in the game right now that is this speed and it's buried pretty deep, on page 7 of the warbond progression so it's a decent pickup if you want that early.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
After reading about people missing loot containers I thought this thing might be one of them, but it was in fact a bomb

https://i.imgur.com/cwEe5j2.mp4

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

vogonity posted:

You probably know this, but the DualSense Edge has adjustable adaptive triggers that let you decide the button-pull distance traveled and can be changed on the fly at any time.

This game has been tough on my hands too though. I keep stretching my right hand to the left thumb stick (or some weird left hand claw grip) to be able to run away from bugs and queue up a Stratagem at the same. I keep telling myself not to, but I still feel compelled to revive my teammates in a hurry. It’s the least I can do after I -accidentally- blew them all to pieces.

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of repeat trigger pulls, plus reactive triggers doing weird things, plus the extra strain of holding down paddles with my middle fingers (I have them assigned to run) while pulling triggers. The strain and angle is just way less egregious for me in shooters if I set aim/fire to L1/R1, probably because my hands are smaller. But it means I often don't get to fully engage with the cool trigger haptic features. Anyways, I've never been a big fan of triggers on controllers anyways, so even with the option of adjusting the pull distance it's often just better for me to assign them to some side feature like a grenade toss or a navigational ping.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Finally spent some time with this game tonight and I absolutely love it. The difficulty seems insane though, it’s 50/50 if I can extract from an easy mission. All it takes is one or two swipes from a big bug and I’m dead.

Am I missing some defensive mechanic, or is diving to the ground your only recourse?

There is a melee attack, but, lol

Better to dive, stim, and then get up and sprint away

Diephoon posted:

After reading about people missing loot containers I thought this thing might be one of them, but it was in fact a bomb

https://i.imgur.com/cwEe5j2.mp4

lmao

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How is the PC performance? When this first released I had seen rumblings the PC was kind of garbage and there was a lot of CTDs and poor Performance despite systems that should easily handle the game at max

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How is the PC performance? When this first released I had seen rumblings the PC was kind of garbage and there was a lot of CTDs and poor Performance despite systems that should easily handle the game at max

My system is beefy but it seems normal to me.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve got a 1080 which has really started struggling on new releases the last six months or so, but this runs absolutely rock solid 60fps at 1440 for me, on quality upscaling. Looks great too.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Devs have reported issues with 7000 series cards, but nothing else specific seems to be an issue. I have an NVIDIA rtx 4070 and the game runs great at 1920x1080.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

played hours with four player coop and everything maxed to ultra at 4k with zero issues from anyone

should note we all have pretty beefy current rigs though, mix of Intel and AMD CPUs with nvidia cards

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Play posted:

My favored strats are the guard dog drone, the mortar turret even though it's dangerous, the orbital walking bombardment, and a heavy weapon depending on faction and difficulty. I haven't unlocked them all but that's what I prefer so far.

Guard dog is nice just to watch your back and take care of the little guys that can still kill you if you're not careful. Mortar is great for defending an area or attacking a nest, just need to keep the enemy away from you or you'll get blown up along with it.

Walking bombardment is super powerful and can destroy an entire small or medium hive on its own if it's positioned right.

Only thing that sucks is you can't use the drone and the recoilless rifle at the same time since they both involve backpacks. I like the laser launcher a lot although it seems like it hardly works at all against the robots, and of course it can't pierce heavy armor. Really it's better for lower difficulties.

The disposable anti tank gun is actually decent for armor, since it comes with two and has a really short cool down. You can call it down right when the heavies show up while still having another backpack.

I played with you last night and yeah that kit you ran was really effective.

Those were some of my first Challenging missions and I realized how fast armored enemies can make things really unravel. Lost my recoilless and a bunch of samples in a horde that overwhelmed us and died a couple times trying to get them back when I probably should have been hightailing it away, but whew taking on chargers without heavy weapons is impossible.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

setting up a recoilless/loading weapon + loader + supply pack circle jerk is incredibly powerful and also basically never going to happen in a pubby game

but if you get that running with a few turrets and your supply and fourth running decent ranged guns to deal with trash you can lay down a massive amount of firepower to deal with heavies

(side note on ranged, I saw someone besmirching the honor of the marksman rifle, your opinion on that may change when you realize the size of weak points on the heavier terminator units)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We bring EAT but we've mostly found that running rocket turrets and autocannon turrets + a couple laser backpacks is about all you need to heavies up to suicide mission difficulty.

I've starting bringing the eagle 500kg bomb for bile titans because it one shots them. We do spend a lot of the game just kiting chargers but tbh its not that hard to do and when we actually need to set up we have enough heavy stuff to put down that everything explodes.

Also for the love of god do not let brood commanders scream, i did a pub mission with one where i joined and there was a couple screaming, every time they did a new bile titan spawned. At one point i had three of the fuckers chasing me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm seriously cackling at some of these ship names.

But I love mine the most. EMPEROR of DEMOCRACY!!!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flint_Paper posted:

It's not the subtlest satire I've ever seen, but also lol at "Strohmann News"

Yeah, the satire is about this subtle, and for the record I'm adoring it so far:

I hope they keep recording new voice lines over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Great so far.

I don't know if other people's systems are doing this automatically, but under display options it's easy to miss that it is automatically doing DLSS(-ish?) resolution scaling. If you think the game looks a little fuzzy or old, check that setting and try Native.

It might not be actual DLSS, I have no idea. DLSS proper generally looks better than this.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm seriously cackling at some of these ship names.

But I love mine the most. EMPEROR of DEMOCRACY!!!

SCS Wings of Liberty here. I'm sentimental.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 10, 2024