Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

loquacius posted:

Take Gosling's nom and give it to Dominic Sessa imo, see if that shuts people up

misread 'nom' as 'mom' and thought you were on some truly next level poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

YaketySass posted:

Think how awesome Omelas would be if they put two kids down there.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

loquacius posted:

Take Gosling's nom and give it to Dominic Sessa imo, see if that shuts people up

honestly yeah Sessa was way better than Gosling, but lets be serious he was nowhere near giamatti or joy randolph

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

went down the looney tunes 'rabbit hole' and found out chuck jones did the intro bit in mrs doubtfire

also i watched a few later cartoons from the late 60s when they cheaped out and it is shockingly different from the 50s/early 60s

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been watching Masters of the Air.

There should be a show where it's just chill WW2 adventures and the war never ends so they just do the same thing everyday. Like Catch 22 if it was a video game. People die and get replaced by the same actor with a different name who gets introduced with a backstory narration about how, Fred there, he's from Brooklyn, and before the war he used to hustle pool.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the omelas story lost me when they kill the kid instead of smuggling it out of omelas and giving them a new life. killing them is almost as hosed as keeping the kid in the hole in the first place!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just dose Omelas' water with that tumor medication that causes sterility in men. you freakin jabronis. do I have to think of everything in this city

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just kill the people in charge of putting kids in holes. Find the weak link in the supply chain.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

Apologies to anyone who wasn't a hipster 20 years ago but the Decemberists just put out a collab with the lead singer of The Shins and 16-year-old me would be way into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBlJ35D7tss

drat the decemberists sound like jonathan coulton now

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aglet56 posted:

le Guin deliberately chooses just a single misery child, though, because the point is that omelas actually is good from a purely utilitarian point of view. it's not a paradise built on top of an oppressed majority. as an anarchist and anti-statist, she doesn't want anyone at all to be subjected to state oppression, so debates over how many kids go in the tool room are kind of beside the point
with no lows, you can't really enjoy life's highs. the optimal version of omelas has everyone cycle through being in the hole, so they can appreciate their non-hole life more.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

with no lows, you can't really enjoy life's highs. the optimal version of omelas has everyone cycle through being in the hole, so they can appreciate their non-hole life more.

The hole would probably have to be worse for this; as is it's basically solitary confinement and I think what makes it actually torturous is the knowledge that you will never know any other life starting from extremely early childhood. If you're just serving a weeklong shift or whatever and your mom gives you a nice big dinner when you get out you're probably not suffering enough to power the perfect society. It'd probably get pumped up into a rite of passage even

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

The hole would probably have to be worse for this; as is it's basically solitary confinement and I think what makes it actually torturous is the knowledge that you will never know any other life starting from extremely early childhood. If you're just serving a weeklong shift or whatever and your mom gives you a nice big dinner when you get out you're probably not suffering enough to power the perfect society. It'd probably get pumped up into a rite of passage even
I think you're underselling the trauma of solitary confinement, given the severe mental and physical effects it can have on inmates. Still, you might be right that you need some overlapping stints in the hole so everyone gets enough time to be truly miserable while still ensuring everyone gets their turn.

That said, given the average time spent in solitary in the US, and the number of inmates in solitary at any one time, it should be able to power 80k Omelas at peak efficiency. It speaks to the sheer inefficiency of the US system that it hasn't even managed to create a single one.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

There should be a show where it's just chill WW2 adventures and the war never ends so they just do the same thing everyday. Like Catch 22 if it was a video game. People die and get replaced by the same actor with a different name who gets introduced with a backstory narration about how, Fred there, he's from Brooklyn, and before the war he used to hustle pool.

Righhhhhhhht....??

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

i say swears online posted:

went down the looney tunes 'rabbit hole' and found out chuck jones did the intro bit in mrs doubtfire

also i watched a few later cartoons from the late 60s when they cheaped out and it is shockingly different from the 50s/early 60s

yes they cheaped out but they thought they were doing futurist streamlining

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

yes they cheaped out but they thought they were doing futurist streamlining

was really surprised at how many are just daffy/speedy since they barely interacted in the golden era

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

skooma512 posted:

My favorite part of WW2 shows is seeing how they really looked irl.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

I don't know what you know about the 100th Bomb Group, but "they do the same thing every day" and "people die and get replaced over and over again" sums up their wartime experience. I think one of their original crews completed their full 25 mission tour of duty.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Twigand Berries posted:

My favorite part of WW2 shows is seeing how they really looked irl.
cpl robert "dogface" scruchton. He was 52 when he was 19. played by: Jaden Wussley

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I read the 8th Air Force report on mental health and lol goddamn no wonder post war America was so hosed up.

Psychiatric Experience of the 8th Air Force: First Year of the War 1942-43

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nk jemisen sucks so bad

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nk jemisen sucks so bad

She's lib AF, really affects her work

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm very confused about that SF story. Can someone explain it?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Frosted Flake posted:

I read the 8th Air Force report on mental health and lol goddamn no wonder post war America was so hosed up.

Psychiatric Experience of the 8th Air Force: First Year of the War 1942-43

my mom's dad was a bombardier/navigator on a b-17 and he basically refused to talk about it for most of his life

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

It's a reference to a classic Le Guin short story called "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" and probably wouldn't make much sense if you hadn't read that one first

Omelas is an allegory for state-sanctioned violence in which a theoretical society is allowed to be completely perfect in every way as long as exactly one child is kept in permanent misery at all times

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

loquacius posted:

It's a reference to a classic Le Guin short story called "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" and probably wouldn't make much sense if you hadn't read that one first

Oh, alright. Thanks.

I could not parse whatever the gently caress was going on.

The line "Things got really toxic online." made me laugh though.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Frosted Flake posted:

https://bloodknife.com/omelas-je-taime/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Okay, so if I'm tracking, the contemporary response to that story is one where the real problems can be boiled down to: "the stock market started shuddering downward", "every citizen in Omelas had a healthy and regular relationship with social media and not a bad and addictive one" vs "no one outside Omelas had a good and normal relationship with social media", "And everyone really liked having running power and no blackouts and good schools and low crime and community-oriented government and safe sidewalks and public transit that worked."

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Amazing things are happening on the internet today

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is all because of the Wile E. Coyote movie?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
zazlov attacked by guy doing naruto run

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oh no someone leaked the address of one of my many properties! assassination coordinates programed in

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Frosted Flake posted:

Okay, so if I'm tracking, the contemporary response to that story is one where the real problems can be boiled down to: "the stock market started shuddering downward", "every citizen in Omelas had a healthy and regular relationship with social media and not a bad and addictive one" vs "no one outside Omelas had a good and normal relationship with social media", "And everyone really liked having running power and no blackouts and good schools and low crime and community-oriented government and safe sidewalks and public transit that worked."

honestly, Kim's story is so fragmented by its refusal to accept leguin's piece as a meditation on ambiguity, bad faith readings of thinly disguised social media enemies, and annoying contemporary SFF prose that I can't tell what the gently caress its saying

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the animation nerds I follow said it had some really good animation

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

tatankatonk posted:

honestly, Kim's story is so fragmented by its refusal to accept leguin's piece as a meditation on ambiguity, bad faith readings of thinly disguised social media enemies, and annoying contemporary SFF prose that I can't tell what the gently caress its saying

Authors should relitigate other works for once. Give me some essay where someone angrily points out that it's wrong to eat Irish kids.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know what you know about the 100th Bomb Group, but "they do the same thing every day" and "people die and get replaced over and over again" sums up their wartime experience. I think one of their original crews completed their full 25 mission tour of duty.

Yeah the format would work especially well for bomber crews since they return to a base each time, or don’t, and don’t necessarily see the progression of the war so they really do just do the same thing over and over until they die. I was thinking they could get surreal about it and have the same actors coming back with different names and back stories introduced in that tropey war movie way. I’m reminded of Rob Zacny’s review of COD WW2 where he pointed out the characters in that game have no motivation or background other than getting better at WW2 and being cliches.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

YaketySass posted:

Authors should relitigate other works for once. Give me some essay where someone angrily points out that it's wrong to eat Irish kids.

Tbh the fact that even we ITT can't seem to agree on whether Le Guin's point was "any amount of state violence at all is bad no matter the benefits" or "here is the most purposely morally ambiguous situation I can imagine, accept the ambiguity" kind of shows why takes like "why don't you just start killing kids until they stop doing kid torture" or "the ones who walk away should instead be running anti-torture candidates for city council" keep cropping up in the wild

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, the revolt is happening because of a Wile E Coyote movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i only first encountered The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas like two years ago and i'm already entirely loving sick of things riffing off of it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Frosted Flake posted:

He is a long time corporate raider in the mold of Bain capital. His type have done untold damage to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

Omelas is an allegory for state-sanctioned violence in which a theoretical society is allowed to be completely perfect in every way as long as exactly one child is kept in permanent misery at all times

its focus is a lot less specific than "state-sanctioned violence," I'd say it's more about humanity's coping mechanisms as well as social conditioning. the person above who referenced its ambiguity is spot on; as an allegory to contemporary America/global capitalism/whatever it falls apart cause the majority of people never have the moment where they're both "shown" the metaphorical child and the basis of their existence is simply and explicitly defined in relation to that suffering. there's only so much you can draw from that story as it relates to the state's monopolization of violence, especially since she went on to write spiritual sequels about the ones who walked away to organize, turn back, and make war on not-Omelas