Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

turbolifts are just pattern buffers anyhow. don’t make sense any other way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, there's no danger. if someone falls in they'll simply visit the turbolift dimension.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

is there some sort of cover that goes over the turbolift on ds9 in ops so people dont fall down the shaft?

Real answer: yes, you can see it in action several times. What you don't see is some kind of notification system if you happen to be standing there when a turbolift pops up, I guess Cardassian OSHA isn't especially strict.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why dores kira clap that way

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

shes a alien

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why don't we?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Same reason Ferengi beg that way

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why are flashlights so stupid in star trek? were the designs we have now lost in the eugenics war or something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

why are flashlights so stupid in star trek? were the designs we have now lost in the eugenics war or something?

Voyager switched to ones you strap onto your arm which is a bit better than TNG ones that were really awkward to hold.

They were busy making them look sci-fi and futuristic by making them impossibly powerful and super-small by running hidden power cables through the actor's costumes.

Nowdays we have LEDs and we don't realise they're particularly strong.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 10, 2024

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Love those flashlights, not gonna lie.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Same reason Ferengi beg that way

I mostly just remember quark begging and assumed that was just a thing he did because he was so used to being handcuffed that it was just muscle memory putting his wrists together when he begged.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Yeah I know the part about a speaking part. If they have that it's money and I believe they must get named-credit too. Maybe other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if there are union rules around all that.

As far as being strict with the script dialog it could just be DS9. But I look for it, honestly wish I could forget it at times, watching Voyager and Enterprise right now and it's main characters also making non verbal acknowledgements frequently.

In Enterprise theyve talked about how a single letter deviation from the script would be an immediate stop filming and either they say it right or the chief script assistant has to run out of the room for 2hrs to check with everyone important that it's ok

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gonna stop filming over not pronouncing sensors as sens-ores

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Gonna stop filming over not pronouncing sensors as sens-ores

I get unreasonably excited when I hear someone say it the right way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

alexandriao posted:

In Enterprise theyve talked about how a single letter deviation from the script would be an immediate stop filming and either they say it right or the chief script assistant has to run out of the room for 2hrs to check with everyone important that it's ok

It was all ridiculously overmanaged. On the design side I remember that someone got in trouble during ENT for labelling nacelles as nacelles without getting approval that these would be nacelles. Even putting aside how well-established things were, nacelle is a real word! It's evidently a nacelle!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wonder at what point exactly they became aware that us Trek nerds will pour over every utterance, every scene, every set with legal eyes, and any mistakes will be caught.

I imagine that puts a greater pressure on everyone knowing they have to get all the details of their mumbo jumbo exactly right.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
How many takes before they stopped trying to make Patrick Stewart pronounced Futile properly?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

I wonder at what point exactly they became aware that us Trek nerds will pour over every utterance, every scene, every set with legal eyes, and any mistakes will be caught.

I imagine that puts a greater pressure on everyone knowing they have to get all the details of their mumbo jumbo exactly right.

I don't really think it was that, more about control. There were too many invested parties around trek and management responded by compulsively holding on tighter and tighter.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

redshirt posted:

So it's all the fans fault, I knew it :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

So it's all the fans fault, I knew it :(

I accept full responsibility.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

How many takes before they stopped trying to make Patrick Stewart pronounced Futile properly?

Another failure for the futile system

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Gutcruncher posted:

It sounds weird when Data says "few-til" in First Contact.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

I mostly just remember quark begging and assumed that was just a thing he did because he was so used to being handcuffed that it was just muscle memory putting his wrists together when he begged.

I think Rom and Nog did it once or twice. I only started noticing it in my current rewatch.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Quark and Brunt also use that gesture in front of a statue or shrine to the first nagus. In the later episode where it looks like Zek is going to make Quark the nagus not the early episode where he (briefly) does.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nog kicks so much rear end. The boy genius trope done really well.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

I remember an interview with an actor at a con saying it sucked when fans pointed out that there were inconsistencies with the Klingon language and they had to start paying attention to what they were saying instead of just making up gibberish.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nog isn’t even a genius, really. Just generally smart and willing to work for what he wants.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Reed invents a working force field in a snap based on theories for an episode and it’s never mentioned again. :thumbsup:

Been binging ENT. Just hit Da Borg episode. Was there ever a mention of Borg on the Earth before? Quite the surprise oh hey Borg are on Earth pre Kirk days huh?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure the files say "Cryogenically preserved aliens woke up and stole an earth spacecraft but were ultimately destroyed"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Nog kicks so much rear end. The boy genius trope done really well.

I like Nog, but no way a cadet would be serving on the bridge of the Defiant.
What special talent does Nog bring that would allow him to skip ahead of thousands of more qualified candidates?

Unless Sisko called in like all his favors, for some reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nog starts off DS9 barely able to read but then goes on to join Starfleet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Nog starts off DS9 barely able to read but then goes on to join Starfleet.

Yeah, illiterate. Barely passing DS9 grade 9, and probably he wasn't.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Reed invents a working force field in a snap based on theories for an episode and it’s never mentioned again. :thumbsup:

Been binging ENT. Just hit Da Borg episode. Was there ever a mention of Borg on the Earth before? Quite the surprise oh hey Borg are on Earth pre Kirk days huh?

Have you seen Star Trek First Contact? That episode serves as an addendum to that movie + created a wholly unnecessary time loop gimmick for Q Who

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Endless Trash posted:

Have you seen Star Trek First Contact? That episode serves as an addendum to that movie + created a wholly unnecessary time loop gimmick for Q Who
Yeah but forgot early Borg stuff, well and most of the plot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

redshirt posted:

What special talent does Nog bring that would allow him to skip ahead of thousands of more qualified candidates?

He has his father's hands and his uncle's tenacity. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

redshirt posted:

The hoo-mons in the federation have forgotten how to bribe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nog definitely just ran roughshod all over loving Starfleet because the Federation doesn't really know how to deal with Ferengi. Like he probably paperclip traded his way into the position on the Defiant.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I probably used the wrong term in boy genius but Nog is extremely precocious and it never comes across as eye rolling.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Hollismason posted:

Nog definitely just ran roughshod all over loving Starfleet because the Federation doesn't really know how to deal with Ferengi. Like he probably paperclip traded his way into the position on the Defiant.

My thoughts exactly. Plus a little "Tom Sawyering"

"The Defiant? Poor you. I got posted to Starbase 12, which is way better, career wise. But it sucks for me because the constant noise by all the awesome diplomatic parties keeps me up all night..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Nogs barter chain with Sisko’s desk was a thing of beauty. It even served as a bit of utopianism that showed that Ferengi culture still has a place in space communism. He didn’t rip anyone off or accumulate capital or unseize the means of production. He just made sure everyone everywhere got what they needed.