Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Start a madame web thread, do it. Put as much effort into the OP as Dakota did the marketing

Don't be mean, she's always like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, it's okay, you can be mean to Dakota Johnson.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
She was also so mean about doing marketing for 50 Shades. Is she like old money or just cool

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Her grandmother is Tippi Hedren but her dad is Don Johnson so she's half Old Hollywood half Gross Piece of poo poo.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Her grandmother is Tippi Hedren but her dad is Don Johnson so she's half Old Hollywood half Gross Piece of poo poo.

At'll do it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’ve only ever seen Dakota Johnson in that one clip from Ellen and the commercials for Madame Web, and that was enough to convince me she’s cool. What makes you say she’s a gross piece of poo poo?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Don Johnson is a piece of poo poo because he started dating Dakota's mom when he was 22 and she was 14, they moved in together the next year.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

Don Johnson is a piece of poo poo because he started dating Dakota's mom when he was 22 and she was 14, they moved in together the next year.

That’s bad but I don’t think it reflects on Dakota Johnson.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah u can just say she's a nepo baby who clearly doesn't give a poo poo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think she just has a healthily low tolerance for classic Hollywood bullshit and is just fine not playing along.

On one hand good for her, but on the other hand that can have some negative side effects for her colleagues as well when she shits on projects.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Being so dismissive of marketing is unprofessional. It’s a reasonably big part of what actors are paid for. making GBS threads on films that you’ve worked on like that is really disrespectful and ungrateful considering the large sums she’s undoubtedly paid. If she doesn’t want to participate in Hollywood bullshit then she shouldn’t take big Hollywood films (and the big paycheques that accompany them). She’s trying to have it both ways.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you gonna be a nepotism hire at least pretend to care about your work, but then again rich people being completely disconnected from how the rest of us live is pretty par the course

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No guys gripweed said you're not allowed to say mean things about her!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

No guys gripweed said you're not allowed to say mean things about her!

Yeah. Lay off her, guys.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollywood actors are all either from Miseryville, Iowa (population 51201 and dropping) and came to Hollywood on a Greyhound with nothing but the clothes on their back and a dream and after five years of struggling they were discovered when walking down the street because a passing casting director thought they had an interesting chin OR they're seventh generation screen actors who have not even heard of the concept of a steady job.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hollywood actors are all either from Miseryville, Iowa (population 51201 and dropping) and came to Hollywood on a Greyhound with nothing but the clothes on their back and a dream and after five years of struggling they were discovered when walking down the street because a passing casting director thought they had an interesting chin OR they're seventh generation screen actors who have not even heard of the concept of a steady job.

unfortunately it seems to be tilting more towards the latter these days. i miss when we had actors that were like "well it was either this or working at the steel mill"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All comedic Hollywood actors are canadian and all dramatic Hollywood actors are australian

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you gonna be a nepotism hire at least pretend to care about your work, but then again rich people being completely disconnected from how the rest of us live is pretty par the course

Her don't give a poo poo vibes are refreshing tbh. Real "do u know who my family is?" energy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think either way you're going to end up a crazy person. The aforementioned Tippi Hedren was born in a weird little enclave in Minnesota but by the time she had Melanie Griffith she was shooting a quasi autobiographical movie about the lion colony she was living in the middle of despite all the maulings.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MacheteZombie posted:

Her don't give a poo poo vibes are refreshing tbh. Real "do u know who my family is?" energy

Disagree, detachment is dumb, ironic or not. Take pride in what you do, especially when you're being paid a lot of money.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why would you take pride in Madame Web.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

unfortunately it seems to be tilting more towards the latter these days. i miss when we had actors that were like "well it was either this or working at the steel mill"

I watched an interview with barry keoghan the other day, because I'd just seen Killing of a Sacred Deer and I was like "huh might be interesting how do you behave like such a convincing little freak, like as a performative skill"

Turns out he doesn't he's just a little freak. They start rolling and he's just like that human being wise

Got punched in the throat by a tiny methhead once and similar vibes

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 10, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No actor should have to participate in marketing as part of the requirements of their job. The less they give a poo poo about it the more I assume they're in it for the craft rather than the fame. You can be an artist and still be fun on the press junket, of course. But it's a bullshit part of the gig and shouldn't be a requirement.

Make it completely optional and also come with a big fat check, then I'll judge them for not giving a poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I dont think she's a good actor or anything like that

E:
Her attitude is just funny to me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’ve never understood the anger about “nepo babies” but I would like to see it applied to other industries.

“So how’d you become a baker?”
“Well, my dad was a baker and I just kinda fell into it”
“gently caress you. gently caress you”

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I’ve never understood the anger about “nepo babies” but I would like to see it applied to other industries.

“So how’d you become a baker?”
“Well, my dad was a baker and I just kinda fell into it”
“gently caress you. gently caress you”
What for real? You don't understand the frustration about nepotism? We're not talking about neighborhood bakers and tailors here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the nepo baby thing isn't gonna get really fun until a generation or two from now when everyone in hollywood starts showing signs of inbreeding

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What for real? You don't understand the frustration about nepotism? We're not talking about neighborhood bakers and tailors here.

If you have family in any industry it’s way easier to break into that industry. That’s basically unavoidable.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Not that I'm agreeing with gripweed or anything but I don't really give a poo poo about nepotism among actors because it's such a bullshit fake job already, like who gives a poo poo. Being a Hollywood actor is already just selling yourself as the product, it's not like a meritocracy even at its best. They're all insane disconnected fuckups anyway. It's like pro wrestling.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the nepo baby thing isn't gonna get really fun until a generation or two from now when everyone in hollywood starts showing signs of inbreeding

In 2095 everyone will be talking about which actors have that classic "Skarsgard jaw" or "Hemsworth nose."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

No actor should have to participate in marketing as part of the requirements of their job. The less they give a poo poo about it the more I assume they're in it for the craft rather than the fame. You can be an artist and still be fun on the press junket, of course. But it's a bullshit part of the gig and shouldn't be a requirement.

Make it completely optional and also come with a big fat check, then I'll judge them for not giving a poo poo.

Then they should negotiate that in their contracts and they’d get paid less. I bet she doesn’t. Like it or not, it’s part of the job, especially if you’re a star.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that's next to impossible. It's just not on the table during contract negotiations. The studios are convinced that Dune 2 couldn't be a hit without Timothee sharing adorkable stories about Josh Brolin pulling pranks on set.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I was trying to google that actor who went to prison for buying her kid a scholarship or whatever and I found a really goddamn weird website and got very distracted

https://www.nepodb.com/people/1981/maya-hawke

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sometimes jobs have annoying parts about them, having to do an interview is probably less annoying than things I've had to do for work. I feel like Dakota Johnson isn't a big enough draw or deserving of enough critical praise to get away with doing poo poo like that for a while without it seriously impacting her ability to get decent gigs. Like I think it's funny how she very much doesn't give a poo poo but it doesn't make me want to see her movies or anything.

I did like her in Suspiria 2018 but it wasn't exactly a deep role, Goth was more of a standout, even Chloe Grace Moretz was more interesting in the way she was swinging for the fences.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Peccadillo posted:

I was trying to google that actor who went to prison for buying her kid a scholarship or whatever and I found a really goddamn weird website and got very distracted

https://www.nepodb.com/people/1981/maya-hawke

Lol

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Is Meat Loaf A Nepo Baby?

Nope! Meat Loaf began with just a spark and a flame, No family, no connections, to call their name, But with hard work and a heart so bold, They rose to the top, where stories are told. But, they may be a nepo parent!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dakota not caring during promos is funny and good actually

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

I think that's next to impossible. It's just not on the table during contract negotiations. The studios are convinced that Dune 2 couldn't be a hit without Timothee sharing adorkable stories about Josh Brolin pulling pranks on set.

Right, which means that the publicity and marketing side of things is a fundamental part of the contract. By disregarding that part, which is a big part of the reason she gets paid a gently caress ton of money, she is being really unprofessional she can’t have it both ways .

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who thinks parts of my job are dumb and bad and I slack off on them and have a bad attitude about them, I deeply sympathize and I cannot fault her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Judging by recent interviews she is really upset with how boring/safe/by-committee Hollywood has become and hates that nobody is taking creative chances (for the most part) so her behavior is more of a protest of that and less that she's just being lazy about the marketing side of things.