Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Orv
May 4, 2011
I went with the Octagon of Morality.

And then I crashed on extracting from the first mission, which is somewhat worrying. E: Though it does appear to have actually counted as successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Diephoon posted:

After reading about people missing loot containers I thought this thing might be one of them, but it was in fact a bomb

https://i.imgur.com/cwEe5j2.mp4
"oh" lmfao

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The main causes of team kills are the mortar turret and the anti personnel mines, and pubbies.

This game sucks to play with fools but I'm sure the player base will get better as time goes on, like the last one.

I find difficulty 3 is too easy with a team of three people who know what they're doing, but difficulty 4 is not like "ok we'll add tanks sometimes", it's like "some missions will have one or two tanks and some will have 100".

We also found that figuring out how to do objectives is some of the hardest stuff about the game. We were trying to select missions with objectives we knew how to do but that's pretty hard when it's just an icon. Some of the icons are easier to figure out than others, like "destroy eggs" is a picture of eggs.

Sometimes we were just running around trying to figure out what was what.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My current loadout:

- The light machine gun. Can shot for days.
- The expendable antivehicles missiles. Regen superfast, so I can summon one of then on demand, when a fortified bug appears.
- The backpack drone with a machine gun, but would replace with the laser one if is better.
- One of the turrets.

I don't equip any air strike and depend on other for that, but usually is not a problem.

I use to equipo the mine deployer and mortar turret, but people is bad at avoiding the mines, so changed my loadout for better uptime and less friendly fire kills.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Badly Jester posted:

Anyone struggling with matchmaking, particularly on PS5: a huge part of the problem seems to be the backend being unable to keep up with requests. If you ignore the major order and go to the automaton sector, the matchmaking actually works. It's not a 100% success rate, but close enough.

My best luck has been joining a squad where the host is on PC

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I just got a Railgun and it's a bit like the autocannon but can penetrate light armoured enemies, and doesn't need a backpack to load.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Game looks good, tho I’ve read that the anti-cheat is pretty aggressive? and the monetization seems so as well. Is this just what GaaS is these days though?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't had any issues with the anti-cheat but my computer was running red hot until I lowered the resolution scaling

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

GeauxSteve posted:

My best luck has been joining a squad where the host is on PC

I was specifically talking about quick match - I've had no issues joining up with people directly via friend codes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

idiotsavant posted:

Game looks good, tho I’ve read that the anti-cheat is pretty aggressive? and the monetization seems so as well. Is this just what GaaS is these days though?

Not sure what aggressive anti-cheat means here, I saw people complaining about this using some janky korean MMO anti-cheat and that might be so but it hasn't made a difference to me :shrug:

Also the monetization seems like a pretty standard battlepass. Plenty of stuff to get without paying money for it but also some stuff like cosmetics and weapons you can get by paying money for it or being locked to the premium battlepass tier.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A defense mission starting with three Bile Titans can gently caress right off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

redreader posted:

The main causes of team kills are the mortar turret and the anti personnel mines, and pubbies.

Ayup, the mortar turret is such a double-edged sword it's not even funny. It's very good at thinning out hordes as you're about to assault a nest or objectives, but pubbies seem to love putting them down on the defensive or when you're already firmly engaged.

Still, so far I'd rather see somebody bring that than the loving 380mm orbital artillery. That one genuinely seems to kill more players than enemies. Even beyond the team-killiness it just seems too inaccurate to effectively kill stuff, though perhaps on higher difficulties (I only went up to Hard so far) there's enough enemy density to make it worth it.

Personally I find myself coming back to the starter precision orbital strike quite often. Comes in decently quick, very accurate, and enough of a blast radius to be effective both against hordes and heavies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why were we training on Mars instead of Super Mars

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I have had a couple crashes to desktop but nowhere near as many as like Remnant 2 had so i havent gotten grumpy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Why were we training on Mars instead of Super Mars

Super Mars was all booked up. Some sort of convention.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Disappointed in the orbital laser for what it costs. A whopping 300 second cooldown AND max 3 charges, but a armored charger dude takes up about 80% of its total duration.

Still very good against Bile Titans though. Reliable damage on that and nearly 1 shots.

The Autocannon Sentry, however, fucks. You just need to make sure to toss it away from enemies, not towards them. The range is long but its fragile and its turn rate is poo poo. It can, however, kill 4 armored charges and more all by itself.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Trying to make the jump to Challenging and the stealth bugs are absolutely schooling me. Three times now I've been hit from behind and just eviscerated me, stunlocked basically until dead. I try to fire back, throw myself forward and I've got the autoshotty but it's yet to work before I'm put down.

Something I'm missing, an audio queue, a weak spot, anything?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

"BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

There is a melee attack, but, lol
Better to dive, stim, and then get up and sprint away

Thanks, sounds like I just gotta get good. Although I wonder if the difficulty is due to me soloing…

sounds like most people are in groups but I can’t figure out how to play online at all lol. Looking for sos’s and throwing one does nothing, on both pc and ps. Also odd I’ve had zero crashes on pc but 3 or so on ps already lol

Bought it twice cause I thought there was cross progression but nope. Oh well, the game feels so much better on a dual sense anyway.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

raverrn posted:

Trying to make the jump to Challenging and the stealth bugs are absolutely schooling me. Three times now I've been hit from behind and just eviscerated me, stunlocked basically until dead. I try to fire back, throw myself forward and I've got the autoshotty but it's yet to work before I'm put down.

Something I'm missing, an audio queue, a weak spot, anything?

They were tough until I got the autoshotgun. They are still scary if they get the drop on you, but if you spot em and tag in their direction while blasting hopefully your team mates will get the idea.

Just did my first 3 mission run for medals on Hard and it went off relatively without a hitch. I'm guessing this game is going to bel ike Deep Rock Galactic and Darktide where if you can hold your own you're better off in higher difficulties to team with more skilled people. People even picked up and used Recoilless Rifle ammo backpacks without needing to talk about it!

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

sounds like most people are in groups but I can’t figure out how to play online at all lol. Looking for sos’s and throwing one does nothing, on both pc and ps. Also odd I’ve had zero crashes on pc but 3 or so on ps already lol

Quick Play is still inconsistent for me on PC, but if I keep mashing it I will eventually get into a game. I have more success looking on the planet screen for an active mission and joining those. If I decide to start my own mission with my squad privacy as public I always get a full group without fail. I have only had to kick one person for going AFK/disconnecting so far.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So how do you reload someone's recoiless anyways? I tried to do it on one person and id get the audio queue but nothing would happen

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
You need to be wearing the backpack first is all I know. If you're already wearing it and trying to help and failing, then never mind.

edit: when that gun drops, on the other side of the drop pod is the reloading backpack for it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So how do you reload someone's recoiless anyways? I tried to do it on one person and id get the audio queue but nothing would happen

I walked up to them and Pressed E. I think it doesn't work unless they have the weapon in hand.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Was playing on PS5 this morning just fine, but now when I start the game up, I just get a black screen after the Helldivers logo splash. Reinstalled, rebuilt database, turned it off and on again, no dice :/

edit: resolved - you have to wait like ~20 mins for the log-in to time out, and then it auto-disables cross-play, which must have been the culprit

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 10, 2024

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of repeat trigger pulls, plus reactive triggers doing weird things, plus the extra strain of holding down paddles with my middle fingers (I have them assigned to run) while pulling triggers. The strain and angle is just way less egregious for me in shooters if I set aim/fire to L1/R1, probably because my hands are smaller. But it means I often don't get to fully engage with the cool trigger haptic features. Anyways, I've never been a big fan of triggers on controllers anyways, so even with the option of adjusting the pull distance it's often just better for me to assign them to some side feature like a grenade toss or a navigational ping.

How are you assigning the paddles to run? DualSense Edge or some other controller?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I got fed up with pubbies targeting eagle and orbital strikes somewhere between my toes and my taint, so I bit the bullet and grabbed the suit with explosive resistance and moderately higher armor.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Quick play still failing in PS5 after the hotfix.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The Generals voice actor was annoying the gently caress outta me cause I knew it sounded familiar

BUGS!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Well guess I'm gonna ginally have to take apart my ps5 and clean out the stupid psu vent cuz this game overheats my ps5 lol

E: supposed to say "finally" but lmao

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 10, 2024

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The Generals voice actor was annoying the gently caress outta me cause I knew it sounded familiar

BUGS!

WHEN YOU RELOAD YOUR WEAPON WHEN NOT AT AN EMPTY MAG, THOSE BULLETS ARE WASTED ON THE GROUND INSTEAD OF BURIED INTO THE ENEMIES OF DEMOCRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Would you like to know more?

https://x.com/DaveOshry/status/1755955957174333580?s=20

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Dropped 20 medals on that Explosive Liberator/assault rifle in the steeled veterans warbond. Not really that great. The fact that it had explosive rounds didn't seem to matter much. Went back to SMG.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Huh, I think we might have stumbled across a bug, or some of these missions are way harder than I thought. We were just loving around on a Medium, had the main mission done, and figured we'd try to pick up an artillery side mission before extraction. However, as soon as we started, a bug breach event occurred and literally never stopped. Bugs just kept spawning faster than we could kill them, no matter how far away we moved from the mission. We ended up with like 400 kills total by the time we finally ran out of respawns :psyduck:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

This game is loving aces. Came out of nowhere for me but I picked it up because a coworker mentioned it after we were talking about Starship Troopers.

Spent the last two days playing it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gameplay rips but I'm a bit worried about it getting boring too quickly. Most of the missions feel pretty similar.

One thing I think would be a really cool addition would be like, caves/bunkers/interior fights. Like, optional high risk/reward missions where you couldn't use stratagems. I dunno, I feel like all the bones are there for a truly great game but there just needs to be something more. After just about 6 hours I feel like I have seen most of what the game has to offer but hopefully I'm wrong.

Either way the unlockables and harder difficulties should keep me entertained at least for a while. I'm not worried about getting my $40 worth. At least it seems to be really popular right out of the gate, so we can probably count on a lot of ongoing content. Should be a good game to have around in the long run.

kzmn
Dec 11, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Huh, I think we might have stumbled across a bug, or some of these missions are way harder than I thought. We were just loving around on a Medium, had the main mission done, and figured we'd try to pick up an artillery side mission before extraction. However, as soon as we started, a bug breach event occurred and literally never stopped. Bugs just kept spawning faster than we could kill them, no matter how far away we moved from the mission. We ended up with like 400 kills total by the time we finally ran out of respawns :psyduck:

Probably not a bug. The enemies can summon reinforcements and if you don't kill them quickly enough things can get out of hand fast. If you see a bug doing a little jig and puffing out some orange mist, try to kill them before they finish to stop more bugs from spawning.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Pro tip: napalm. Drop napalm on an area. Do it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Napalm strike and 380mm combined is some beautiful freedom application I tell you what

Too bad about all the matchmaking issues because duo is pretty rough sometimes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone try the P-4 Senator? Warbonds are earned so slowly that I'm reluctant to buy stuff.

How about the Liberator Explosive?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kaddish posted:

Anyone try the P-4 Senator? Warbonds are earned so slowly that I'm reluctant to buy stuff.

How about the Liberator Explosive?

I use the senator. Idk if it's good. It takes ages to reload but it can one poo poo little dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
People who throw mines into tall grass are awful