Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
New FFFhere. Adding recipe book like functionality to the core game, and browse history. Some neat QoL stuff but nothing groundbreaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks like they adjusted the green belts to be green and not yellow with splotchy mildew on them.

So many changes, I can't wait to start a new monstrosity base.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The Factoriopeida already looks way more usable than the recipe book mod that I was using. It'll be very handy for overhaul mods, definitely a nice QoL change.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jayzus gently caress. Vulcanus has a surface gravity of 4G's. On the other hand, with that rough terrain the 4x solar efficiency to get you started is nice.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
There seem to be a lot of easter eggs in the pics for this FFF. Anyone got a list of other details they are revealing in pics?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am extremely interested in how much of SE they're going to bring into the expansion. A fair amount it seems from just the pre-release material, but they must be tossing out some of the groggiest stuff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chin Strap posted:

There seem to be a lot of easter eggs in the pics for this FFF. Anyone got a list of other details they are revealing in pics?

Well they showed off the quality data on substations. A max quality substation goes from 18x18 service range to 28x28.

Also not all asteroids are found around all worlds. Also not all worlds link to each other: Vulcanus orbit only links to 2 other planets (one being Nauvis).

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

SettingSun posted:

I am extremely interested in how much of SE they're going to bring into the expansion. A fair amount it seems from just the pre-release material, but they must be tossing out some of the groggiest stuff.

I'm hoping it's a bit more of a streamlined take on SE. There are weirdly arbitrary things about SE that feel like they are designed as they are just to make your life harder for no reason - like being able to get all kinds of circuit control over rocket launches, but none over delivery cannons directly (and instead having to control arms/belts around them).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i don’t understand how this isn’t a sequel

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Factorio must grow.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i'm still slowly progressing through ultracube. this is my first time building a train base, so i'm learning a lot about logistics and stop management on the fly, while also needing to learn about circuits for cube handling on the fly. this arrangement caps each ghost crystal synthesizer at one or two uses before locking it down and funneling the ghost cubes back for recombination, which lets me get a little use out of each synth without worrying about outputs filling up and holding up the cubes.

i can already think of a few ways it could have been improved, but it works and the throughput is good enough that i don't want to touch the wire tangle and risk everything imploding instantly

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Majere posted:

The Factorio must grow.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Alkydere posted:

Jayzus gently caress. Vulcanus has a surface gravity of 4G's. On the other hand, with that rough terrain the 4x solar efficiency to get you started is nice.

Have they mentioned what surface gravity will change? Just cost to orbit?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I imaging gravity, pressure and magnetic field are just flavour text. But maybe they do indeed do something.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I suspect gravity will also effect acceleration of trains. More weight means more friction.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alkydere posted:

90 second day/night cycle :eyepop:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That just means the cold planet is going to have a 20 minute day/night cycle.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

There was a modifier for bot energy usage, that will probably go up on the high gravity world with lots of difficult terrain.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The obvious effect of gravity is probably difficulty/cost of launching a rocket.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It is obvious, but to me it seems unlikely. If rockets cost more to launch off some planets, why would you produce anything on those planets other than the absolute minimum? It'd be tricky to balance well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's precisely how it works in SE (gravity is abstracted to how big the surface is). The costs of launching a rocket will probably be reduced to negligible via tech, also like in SE.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

K8.0 posted:

It is obvious, but to me it seems unlikely. If rockets cost more to launch off some planets, why would you produce anything on those planets other than the absolute minimum? It'd be tricky to balance well.

it actually gives them a great lever to balance with or in fact give more choice with if they model cargo mass. do you ship an assload of that dense precursor/final item with a massively expensive launch, or wait for the final item/precursor that's higher leverage and less dense for perhaps more rockets but less total fuel? do you start by launching many rockets with non-dense precursors until you finally get that launch fuel 2 tech and you can at last cut down on the sheer number of rockets because you can finally make enough fuel? That's more configuration space, not less.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Reading the recent blogs has given me the Factorio itch again, and I'm looking to scratch it. My last game with K2/SE got into space and onto another planet in about 80 hours of lazy playing, but life got in the way and I stopped playing a bit over a year ago. That's way too long ago for me to pick up the same save again since I've forgotten everything, so I'll be spinning up a new game.

I had K2, SE, and a barely used Factorissimo for my major mods. Is there anything else I should pile in on top of that? In particular, I'm interested in mods that expand combat and make it a little more interesting and difficult without being overwhelming. I'm looking at rampant and its arsenal mod, but I'm a little worried it might be too much for a lazy, spaghetti-filled player like me. If it does get to be overwhelming, can I tweak the settings mid-save to make it easier? I'd rather cheat and make enemies easier than lose a save after 30 hours when I find out that the enemy power scaling was set a little too high.

One other thing I'm interested in is something that makes the early game faster. Are there any mods that make early construction and the burner miner phase easier/faster? I could just cheat in a chest with a personal roboport and some starting supplies, but something more organic like an early game bot mod would be more fun. However, I seem to remember reading something in this thread about how the dev for SE is a bit stuck-up with his ~VISION~ of how the mod should be played, and intentionally made his mod incompatible with early game robot mods. Am I remembering that correctly?

I'll also take any suggestions anyone has for any other kind of mod that is compatible with SE/K2.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I've started playing Ultracube, and I'm trying to wrap my head around this mod. It's very bizarre, but I'm enjoying it so far. I've gotten the first dozen-ish techs researched and I'm at the point where I can start to slowly build a basic main bus of stuff.

It feels really weird, but it's an interesting experience. It's almost like having two main busses; One big looping belt where I've got all my 'cube' machines on, and another that's my 'normal' main bus with assemblers. It's interesting having the cube be a throughput limiter. I can't just build more machines to increase throughput, there's only so much I can do when only one can run at a time.

I'm at the point where I've unlocked concrete and refined rare metals, and I need to rebuild the "cube bus" a bit to fit in crushers for the rare metal, and to handle the calcium and stone it makes. I think I might rebuild my busses so they run parallel to each other? It's definitely bending my brain figuring out how to make all this fit nicely. :psyduck:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Construction Drones is a good mod for early game without being too overpowered. Just cute little beep boops to place things for you. Apparently there are a few different versions now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I really like the Industrial Revolution author's take on early construction bots: a version of the regular guys who are all brassy and steampunk and fly around slowly powered by steam. I'd love to see them pull just that bit out and offer it standalone.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Predictions for FFF? Valves?!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm thinking a look at interplanetary logistics.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Biter improvements

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SettingSun posted:

I'm thinking a look at interplanetary logistics.

Yeah, I'd like to see how they expect us to ship stuff around between planets. How horribly expensive and complicated is it going to be?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I am imagining the spaceships can be setup like trains. I am also hoping we can setup some kind of launch criteria for on-board supplies and physical condition before departure, given they can be damaged and may need active defense to transit.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure they already talked about automating space platforms and using them essentially as space trains.

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-381
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-382

quote:

Space platform hub
The initial platform has only one structure - the space platform hub. The hub is a 1-per-platform central entity which stores items for both construction and logistics, has logistic requests, and a train-like schedule where planets act as stops.

Darox fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 16, 2024

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-398

New Planet

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Love that

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Love the aesthetic. Obviously a lot of the rocks are just tinted Nauvis rocks right now, but the whole sort of worn smooth, aged look is a great shift from Nauvis and Vulcanus. Curious how it's going to be different gameplay-wise, they've obviously laid out some things to play with there and I bet there will be some mix of mining new resources and utilizing ancient stuff.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

And very different from spaceex

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

New planet slaps and makes me even more excited for the expansion.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Obvious realization: this is going to be the planet where the recycler is unlocked.

Also, it may be a planet where the global train interrupt thing they referenced becomes relevant. It may be necessary to have your trains hide near a protector during lightning storms.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 16, 2024

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

K8.0 posted:

It may be necessary to have your trains hide near a protector during lightning storms.

Stop please I can't get any more excited for the expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So we've got a volcano planet and a post-apocalyptic planet. A frozen ice planet feels like an inevitable direction, and there's the brightly-coloured planet teased last week:

(I am remembering right that there's four new planets in this expansion, right?)

Anyway, the existince of ancient alien ruins implies there's going to be some sort of story going on with this world, to explain who they were and why they aren't here any more. Factorio's never been a plot game, so it'll be interesting to see how that'll go.
Solar power is almost certainly going to be practically worthless here, but the lightning storms are an obvious alternative power source. That'll be interesting to play with.