Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
finally i can once again experience the midichlorian explanation scene as george intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Little annie is doing a spin in his naboo fighter craft and I'm losing my poo poo, just going absolutely ape in the theater at the neatness of this trick

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

I’ll probably get really really really high and see it, ngl

just for the podracing

That podracing videogame was cool as poo poo, so that's a point in ep1's favour

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LookieLoo posted:

That podracing videogame was cool as poo poo, so that's a point in ep1's favour

one time during lockdown I dropped a fuckton of acid and 100%ed the Switch remaster of Ep1 Racer while brainstorming a whole series that’s basically a parody/homage to F1: Drive to Survive, but set in the Star Wars universe

hire me Disney, I got a million better ideas for Star Wars IP than anything you’ve been able to fart out in over a decade

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Back when 3D was at the height of its craze I did go see Phantom Menace 3D in theatres. It wasn't half bad as far as 3D viewing experiences go but the best 3D remaster of a film I watched was still the Jurassic Park 3D.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
how to fix The Rise of Skywalker:

replace 'they fly now?'

with 'they podrace now?'

bam

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Arc Hammer posted:

Back when 3D was at the height of its craze I did go see Phantom Menace 3D in theatres. It wasn't half bad as far as 3D viewing experiences go but the best 3D remaster of a film I watched was still the Jurassic Park 3D.

Just wanna remind everyone that Coraline 3D is getting rereleased in August.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I have zero interest in seeing The Phantom Menace in the theater in 2024, but I'm intrigued by the kind of person who would. What the hell are the crowds going to be like? Ironic b-movie fans treating it like The Room? Contrarian nerds who've convinced themselves into thinking it's a real movie? Star Wars fans who just don't know any better?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Crescent Wrench posted:

I have zero interest in seeing The Phantom Menace in the theater in 2024, but I'm intrigued by the kind of person who would. What the hell are the crowds going to be like? Ironic b-movie fans treating it like The Room? Contrarian nerds who've convinced themselves into thinking it's a real movie? Star Wars fans who just don't know any better?

ppl who are high and want to see the podracing sequence

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Preemptive lol at all the poo poo George Lucas will have added to this one.

Finally, people young enough to be prequels fans get to experience the special edition disappointment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Changing that shot in revenge of the sith so that the toddler draws his lightsaber first.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PostNouveau posted:

Preemptive lol at all the poo poo George Lucas will have added to this one.

Finally, people young enough to be prequels fans get to experience the special edition disappointment.

If GL had hosed things up on his way out, we would’ve seen it when the maclunky cut hit D+

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know what this space diner scene needs? A musical number

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Crescent Wrench posted:

People who were 10 when it came out and haven't actually re-examined their childhood love of JarJar. Sadly, at this point those folks seem to outnumber people who saw it as adults and remember that feeling of deep disappointment.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

People who were 8 years old when it came out

Edit:
^^^ argh beaten

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh, duh, that's the obvious demographic I forgot to account for. I was 13 or 14 when it came out so I was old enough to go "What the gently caress is this poo poo?"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was 10 when it came out. Even though I liked it after seeing it, I knew it wasn't as good as anything in the OT, but I just didn't know how to explain why.

I don't think this is nostalgia bait as much as it's trying to emulate the special edition rerelease in 97. That was a move to reintroduce the series to a new generation and I took it hook line and sinker as a kid. This isn't for adults, this is for the 8 year olds today who weren't born when TFA came out.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Why nor re-release good 3d movies like Mad Max: Fury Road or Dredd? I'd pay money to see those in the theater.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I honestly don’t think I’ve watched tpm since it was released

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I saw it as a 9yo with my friend who was crazy about Star Wars, and even back then we knew it was a turkey. I can distinctly remember the muted atmosphere of everyone leaving compared to the pretty high energy feeling the crowd had before the show started.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems like a lot of people who were that age when it came out genuinely still like it. As an aging goon I am legally required to say that I think they're idiots, but as an aging goon I am also equally easy to market to via the content I am personally nostalgic for

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I worked at a restaurant next to the biggest theater around when it PM came out, it was like hell that weekend.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lister posted:

I was 10 when it came out. Even though I liked it after seeing it, I knew it wasn't as good as anything in the OT, but I just didn't know how to explain why.

I don't think this is nostalgia bait as much as it's trying to emulate the special edition rerelease in 97. That was a move to reintroduce the series to a new generation and I took it hook line and sinker as a kid. This isn't for adults, this is for the 8 year olds today who weren't born when TFA came out.

Yeah, but even the 8 years olds of today are not buying their own tickets to go to the movie theater. The special edition re-release in 1997 was to introduce a new generation, but it relied on the parents who had good feelings about the OT to bring their kids along for the experience.

You're not gonna have a bunch of prequel-trilogy haters saying to themselves: "Finally, a chance to introduce my kid to this absolute dogshit!"

mystes
May 31, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

You're not gonna have a bunch of prequel-trilogy haters saying to themselves: "Finally, a chance to introduce my kid to this absolute dogshit!"
I had a kid I would do that

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

You know what I want to see? A remaster of the original Toy Story using modern rendering. Shot for shot, use the same audio track, just update the visuals. Not the that original is unwatchable, but it would be interesting to contrast and compare how far Pixar has come since the early days. Do it as a 30th anniversary celebration, c'mon Disney.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They'll need to add in the deleted scene where it turns out the one Podracer who crashes in the cave had brought his entire family and newborn child to watch the race.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, but even the 8 years olds of today are not buying their own tickets to go to the movie theater. The special edition re-release in 1997 was to introduce a new generation, but it relied on the parents who had good feelings about the OT to bring their kids along for the experience.

I get what you mean, but I think you're underestimating marketing. If little kids see pre-roll ads for episode 1 in front of mr beast enough times, they're going to start thinking the movie looks awesome and ask their parents to bring them.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

Crescent Wrench posted:

The same people who have always been Star Wars' intended audience: children.

Also autists.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess I have to give them a little credit for recognizing that obi wan season 2 is a bridge too far, right now. They have to prepare the way a bit first

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Illmade posted:

The same people who have always been Star Wars' intended audience: children.

Also autists.

it's absolutely true. Mark Hamill called Star Wars "children's theater on a grand scale" which is devastatingly accurate.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Changing that shot in revenge of the sith so that the toddler draws his lightsaber first.

lol

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i remember liking about 25% of the phantom menace when i saw it in the theater. the podrace and the final battle with darth maul with duel of the fates i thought were great as a teenager. the rest of the movie was always dogshit to me. i was also the sucker who watched eps 2 and 3 in the theater just to see if they got better. i also watched all of the sequel trilogy in the theater because i am just a fuckin rube haha. star wars eps 1-9 is like 22 hours of movies, and only like 6 hours is good.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

“I have no idea where to go or what to do with this movie. Better make it three hours.” -Jj abrams

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

instead of going to see george lucas' cinematic "kick me" sign, why not instead buy a ticket for the Dune 2021 reissue, directed by cinematic genius Denis Villeneuve? Great way to reacquaint oneself with the fantastical adventures of Paul Atreides on the strange and beautiful desert world of Arrakis, in preparation for the sequel coming next month. Only in theaters (and Imax!) this week so grab your tickets now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

seriously please give your money to this movie and not an abortion by a failure who rode his ex-wife's and spielberg's coattails to unimaginable wealth and/or an evil corporation that wants to exterminate gay people

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

trilobite terror posted:

Dune ‘85/Dune ‘21 double feature

jack nicholson yes dot gif

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Dijkstracula posted:

lol at discussing bad pilots and not bringing up encounter at farpoint

it hits all the notes that a pilot should and yet it's still boring and bland

i loved the Q stuff shut the hell up

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Most of what I remember of Phantom Menace is not really liking it but being unable to put my finger on why until a guy pretending to be an old man (who is now an old man) on the internet explained it to me

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i've been trying to figure out why i can remember so much of tpm despite not seeing it since 1999 and i finally figured it out its because i've seen mike's review so many times lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think probably my all time favorite RLM bit is still the way mike edited qui gon's convoluted bet with watto over the pod race