Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dudes rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

grobbo posted:

John Hawkes has an interesting interview with GQ where he states that

the actors essentially workshopped and rewrote the ending of the episode together to make it 'more believable', including making the decision on the day of the shooting that Danvers should be unarmed.

It's a completely hacked-about scene in its final state:

-Why does Danvers keep telling Peter to 'think! Think!' when there's not really a narrative reason why he *would* shoot his dad dead on the spot and he never seems at risk of siding with Hank? Wouldn't she be better off telling Hank to lower his gun and confess?
- For the sake of dramatic tension, shouldn't we see Hank at least try to win his son over to his side? Not even a token bit of 'Danvers is the real murderer, son - you figured out she killed Wheeler, didn't you?'
- If Hank, accepting his likely fate, thinks it's worth confessing to the other characters that he didn't kill Annie K, does he maybe want to say who did kill her?
- Not even an effort to shoot your dad in the shoulder or something, Peter?
- Why is it so important to go to the ice caves now? Why can't it wait until the storm's passed and you've disposed of the body?

so you've got to wonder what it was like before.

The "think! think!" part comes as hank is telling him to help move the body. I took the "think" to mean "your father killed this guy in cold blood in front of me, helping him would mean siding with the mine and having to kill me"
Dude is about to commit suicide by cop, he's not trying to solve the case, just minimize his own guild.

Like, there are many legit problems with this season. The Navarro ice cracking scene was pretty bad. But at some point people are just finding things to nitpick.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've been reasonably sure what they're going to find down there for awhile, and last night basically confirmed it for me. I'll spoiler tag it just in case, but this is just speculation.

Annie discovered either bones, cave paintings, or other cultural artifacts that would turn the area into a protected cultural heritage site. This would stop the mine from being able to dig in the region, so she was killed to keep this silent. The reason they don't want Danvers to see the caves is because it would mean people would learn about the heritage site and it would gently caress the mine. Annie was killed by that random named miner who we keep seeing shots of. It will never be provable that he was given orders to do this.

None of this will be related to what happened at the lab, which will remain a mystery. No supernatural elements will be part of the conclusion beyond the vague sense that Annie's ghost helped push the detectives forward.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

sethsez posted:

The mine sent a guy to kill the person who would lead them through the caves, so something is clearly there and the mine knows that the cops know. The clock is ticking on how long they have before the evidence down there is irretrievable and/or someone comes after them instead.

Gotta agree to disagree here. The show has in no way conveyed the idea that the mine is capable of suddenly reaching or sabotaging whatever's in the caves, or that they have additional forces at their disposal and ready to act. In fact, prioritising Navarro's plan and waiting until the bodies are discovered (rather than leaving a grieving and perhaps unreliable Peter alone to deal with it) theoretically puts our heroes in a far stronger position to advance the investigation, since suddenly there's irrefutable evidence that a corrupt cop shot the Ice Caves witness.*

*although why Navarro thinks that the body of Otis, shot with Danvers' gun in Hank's car, along with a missing Hank isn't going to just look like Danvers killed them both is completely beyond me. (EDIT: this was wrong, i am a bad watcher of things)

grobbo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 10, 2024

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Danvers's direct boss is working with the mine and has already threatened to take her down on Wheeler's murder. Both of them have days of being cops left before they lose their jobs and maybe their freedom. They have to solve it now or never.

If they can gently caress the mine hard enough, it might hurt the company's leverage enough that they make it through unscathed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Sure hope it's 17 and not 20s because her girlfriend is said to be 15
Yeah she had better be 17 because if she was in her 20s the way the scene in the first episode with the angry mother played out especially would be amazingly loving bad

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

grobbo posted:

Gotta agree to disagree here. The show has in no way conveyed the idea that the mine is capable of suddenly reaching or sabotaging whatever's in the caves, or that they have additional forces at their disposal and ready to act. In fact, prioritising Navarro's plan and waiting until the bodies are discovered (rather than leaving a grieving and perhaps unreliable Peter alone to deal with it) theoretically puts our heroes in a far stronger position to advance the investigation, since suddenly there's irrefutable evidence that a corrupt cop shot the Ice Caves witness.*

*although why Navarro thinks that the body of Otis, shot with Danvers' gun in Hank's car, along with a missing Hank isn't going to just look like Danvers killed them both is completely beyond me.

My guy, he didn't use Danver's gun. He put Danver's gun behind his back, and then drew the gun from his holster on the right hand side. In an episode where they've just shown that the mine had been bribing the water results despite 9 deaths, blew up the entrance to the caves, and had the higher up chief of police essentially blackmail her to let the death of Annie go, and even sent her direct subordinate to just straight up murder a witness.

Like, it's not the best season, and has some glaring holes. But if youre going to nitpick, at least make sure not to make glaring errors such as confusing which weapon he was using.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The town seems to be entirely elastic to accommodate the plot. It's been kind of fun keeping a running tally of services available.

Coroner/Forensic pathologist: lol no
Medical Trauma center: yes
Inpatient rehab: yes
Dentist: no

This makes more sense when you know more about the economics of lots of places like this and how it fits with medical billing. Realistically they definitely would've airlifted the living Tsalal guy to Anchorage/Fairbanks but depending on how well the mine pays the people that work there, most of the townspeople are gonna be at or below the poverty line meaning most are on Medicare/Medicaid or without insurance. No dentist is gonna set up a practice in that kind of area given their business model.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

joepinetree posted:

My guy, he didn't use Danver's gun. He put Danver's gun behind his back, and then drew the gun from his holster on the right hand side. In an episode where they've just shown that the mine had been bribing the water results despite 9 deaths, blew up the entrance to the caves, and had the higher up chief of police essentially blackmail her to let the death of Annie go, and even sent her direct subordinate to just straight up murder a witness.

Like, it's not the best season, and has some glaring holes. But if youre going to nitpick, at least make sure not to make glaring errors such as confusing which weapon he was using.

Fair enough, I rescind that final point in shame.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 10, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Poor Otis. My man just wanted to get high in peace.

Did Danvers pull a Cohle and replace the heroin she stole from evidence with another brown powder? I missed if they showed that.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

my bony fealty posted:

Poor Otis. My man just wanted to get high in peace.

Did Danvers pull a Cohle and replace the heroin she stole from evidence with another brown powder? I missed if they showed that.

I mean he looked like he was having a good time in the bathroom lol

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Interesting, dramatic ep…then I busted out laughing at the final needle drop.

Hahhahhahahahahah

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RedneckwithGuns posted:

This makes more sense when you know more about the economics of lots of places like this and how it fits with medical billing. Realistically they definitely would've airlifted the living Tsalal guy to Anchorage/Fairbanks but depending on how well the mine pays the people that work there, most of the townspeople are gonna be at or below the poverty line meaning most are on Medicare/Medicaid or without insurance. No dentist is gonna set up a practice in that kind of area given their business model.
Oh yeah. That dude needed to be in Anchorage asap, and maybe Seattle.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hate the way this show looks, I think it's the lighting? Every interior scene is lit exactly the same regardless of what light sources are or aren't present and it makes everything look flat like a fake show people watch in a real show or something.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Tender Bender posted:

I hate the way this show looks, I think it's the lighting? Every interior scene is lit exactly the same regardless of what light sources are or aren't present and it makes everything look flat like a fake show people watch in a real show or something.

That’s Night Country

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah it’s the lighting. All modern tv is lit like that now and it’s awful. A lot of the time it’s digital lighting. So they have it lit one way on set and then digitally alter it in post.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I didn't think that episode was so bad

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

frogbs posted:

That’s Night Country

call that poo poo Light Country

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

grobbo posted:

*although why Navarro thinks that the body of Otis, shot with Danvers' gun in Hank's car, along with a missing Hank isn't going to just look like Danvers killed them both is completely beyond me. (EDIT: this was wrong, i am a bad watcher of things)

The show has given us plenty of indications that the mine (which is owned by a massive conglomerate) has the resources, connections and drive necessary to cause and then cover up numerous murders and incidental deaths, including via bribing or coercing multiple police officers all the way up the chain. And as for having the ability to sabotage the caves, they're a mining company and they already sealed the entrance.

Danvers and Navarro have no reason not to assume their time is limited.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who the gently caress is scraeming "WATCH A SHOW YOU LIKE" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never watch shows i like.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Who the gently caress is scraeming "WATCH A SHOW YOU LIKE" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never watch shows i like.

This is the fifth time you've made this post, are you ok?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The only one I question is the poster who hasn’t watched in a month but still posting

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

This is the fifth time you've made this post, are you ok?

A lot of repeat posting going on, I am just going with the flow.

TheBizzness posted:

The only one I question is the poster who hasn’t watched in a month but still posting

What about the person who hates the music but loves billie eilish. I am starting to suspect that the issue is that they don't like billie eilish. Another mystery left to be solved.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sickening posted:

Another mystery left to be solved.

Unfortunately there are no True Detectives on the show, nor in the thread.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

True Derptective

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Poo Detected

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Danver’s “ask the question” bit is getting pretty stale. I thought last nights eppie was insanely boring until the last 10 or so minutes, but the ending made it worthwhile.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like the show, it's good enough to nitpick

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
true blue detective?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The threads ability to pay attention is getting more and more embarrassing.

I know its way more fun for you to post about if Danver's daughter was like 25 banging a 15yo but that's not the case. She's 17 and her (ex) gf is 16. The eagerness for there to be a pedo to be outraged over is getting tiresome.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tender Bender posted:

I think lighting matters a lot for horror and the way they lit the show ruins whatever supernatural ghost stuff they want to do. It's washed out in normal scenes and during dramatic scenes they're either shooting day for night, have the lights too low, or the lights are too far away. The camera angles are all off too. They shot the ghost from a higher angle which diminishes any intimidation it might have.

Obstacle
Mar 7, 2007
In honor of the AI posters this season.

Obstacle fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 11, 2024

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

The threads ability to pay attention is getting more and more embarrassing.

I know its way more fun for you to post about if Danver's daughter was like 25 banging a 15yo but that's not the case. She's 17 and her (ex) gf is 16. The eagerness for there to be a pedo to be outraged over is getting tiresome.

I don’t think that was ever the complaint. It’s that the actress doesn’t really look or act like a 17 year old so it comes off weird.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Turns out teen characters in film are often played by adults. Its wild.

mystes
May 31, 2006

She's supposed to be 17 so it's fine, I think they just wrote the scene in the first episode kind of poorly because it was slightly confusing and could have sounded like the other mother was pissed because she was much older than her daughter which wasn't actually the case.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The_Rob posted:

I don’t think that was ever the complaint. It’s that the actress doesn’t really look or act like a 17 year old so it comes off weird.

Her utter self-assurance that She is Right and that nothing bad will happen seems pretty teen-like.

Zero thought that maybe the person who is investigating the murder of an activist indigenous woman might be worried that her step daughter is becoming more of an activist for reasons that aren't "she thinks the mine is good, actually".

Of course Danvers doesn't exactly help the situation either.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That ending escalated quickly.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

This show is mostly on the watchable side of mid, but whoever they've got in charge of the music needs to be dragged out back and shot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ravenfood posted:

Her utter self-assurance that She is Right and that nothing bad will happen seems pretty teen-like.

Zero thought that maybe the person who is investigating the murder of an activist indigenous woman might be worried that her step daughter is becoming more of an activist for reasons that aren't "she thinks the mine is good, actually".

Of course Danvers doesn't exactly help the situation either.

Yeah I thought the character is supposed to be 17ish with how she looks and acts. She's incredibly stupid, mean to her mother, zealous about some political issue, and having stupid sex. All things that point direclty at teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Obstacle posted:

In honor of the AI posters this season.

If you average them there’s a pistol with a normal length barrel