Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ammanas posted:

for some reason the tiktok algo has flooded my feed with home inspector creators and new construction is apparently horrifying AND the building companies are nazis about it. 650k and everything leaks, creaks and is off angle

You can walk through some million dollar houses around here and basically not find a single straight wall or a floor that doesn't creak. It's insane. $800k+ condos with Home Depot-grade LVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

You can walk through some million dollar houses around here and basically not find a single straight wall or a floor that doesn't creak. It's insane. $800k+ condos with Home Depot-grade LVP.

A million dollars is nothing. That’s how much the land is worth no matter what kind of poo poo shack you plop on it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Paradoxish posted:

What do you expect? A contractor's level is $40 at Home Depot. Money doesn't grow on trees.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
All of the good carpenters are in historic preservation

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

and high end retail

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

and high end retail

honing my ancient craft so that the Filipino Fusion restaurant can charge $19 for a burger with no fries

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Historic preservation huh?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fyi this is quite literally the middle of nowhere. For $400k. In a garage with a house attached

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Syracuse and Rochester has nice houses for cheap. Plus good universities. Maybe the next third tier cities to start flipping.

Apr 7, 2003

here's a hideous garbage house for everyone to enjoy, only a half mil

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/139-Renfer-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15237_M42505-71360?from=srp-list-card

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

cool unreal level

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
Edit: wrong thread

BillsPhoenix has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Feb 6, 2024

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

street doc posted:

Syracuse and Rochester has nice houses for cheap. Plus good universities. Maybe the next third tier cities to start flipping.

I get zillow alerts for the Syracuse area, in particular North Syracuse because we were thinking about moving there a year or two ago, and anecdotally the housing prices look like they're starting to rise there. My fiancee is from there and her bff bought a house maybe 7 years ago, they got a lot more house than i did in KC for the same price.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Got my toilet in, the wax ring leaked but the PVC was bone dry... I'll take it!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

cool unreal level

tub needs to be a lot bigger for a bathroom that looks this horny

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Can I interest you in a home with a Cop Shower?

from the reddit posting:

quote:

Also not pictured in the listing, the significant water damage on the ceiling below it.

Our agent called us over like "the master shower is.... uh.... interesting" which I could tell was professional speak for "excuse me what the gently caress".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grey Fox posted:

from the reddit posting:

The thin caulk line

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol you could piss on it every day

Apr 7, 2003

Grey Fox posted:

from the reddit posting:

So no floor pan lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Twerk from Home posted:

The thin caulk line

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

:hmmyes:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

love massive garages with tiny homes attached

American

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

cool unreal level

god drat that bathtub has *two* joysticks like space harrier

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

love massive garages with tiny homes attached

American

It’s kinda neat if you’ve got tons of tools and do a lot of handy work or actually store all your vehicles in them.

Most of the time though the garage becomes storage for random crap that never gets used while the cars stay in the driveway.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Most of the time though the garage becomes storage for random crap that never gets used while the cars stay in the driveway.

Don't doxx me :smithcloud:

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

spacemang_spliff posted:

I get zillow alerts for the Syracuse area, in particular North Syracuse because we were thinking about moving there a year or two ago, and anecdotally the housing prices look like they're starting to rise there. My fiancee is from there and her bff bought a house maybe 7 years ago, they got a lot more house than i did in KC for the same price.

Syracuse can be an excellent place to live, as long as you are good with doing outside activities when it is cold and ok with having a house that is never not actively breeding 10^32 new strains of mold. New or old construction, it matters not.

Tip hill has the only working upside down traffic light in the US because the residents refused to have anything red/orange lording above the green of 32-county-to-be-Ireland. I would not move to North Syracuse

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

War and Pieces posted:

Got my toilet in, the wax ring leaked but the PVC was bone dry... I'll take it!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

captainbananas posted:

Tip hill has the only working upside down traffic light in the US because the residents refused to have anything red/orange lording above the green of 32-county-to-be-Ireland. I would not move to North Syracuse

I smell a great prank if you happen to be giving directions to a color blind friend

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
lol I remember trying to buy a home 3 years ago. even further away today! god bless america

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ammanas posted:

lol I remember trying to buy a home 3 years ago. even further away today! god bless america

You pretty much can't save your way into buying a house. Either you already have enough money to do it, you drastically increase your income, or you watch the market run away from you. Those are the options, with comedy "move somewhere much cheaper and somehow maintain your income" as a distant fourth.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

great news, I found the kind of houses I like and desperately want. terrible news, they cost over 600k

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

You pretty much can't save your way into buying a house. Either you already have enough money to do it, you drastically increase your income, or you watch the market run away from you. Those are the options, with comedy "move somewhere much cheaper and somehow maintain your income" as a distant fourth.

There was a brief window during Covid where that last option was feasible for most computer touchers. Now flyover country home and rent prices have shot up and tech companies are laying people off and/or clawing back their wfh policies. Some are even closing branch offices and telling people they have to come back to Silicon Valley to stay employed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There was a brief window during Covid where that last option was feasible for most computer touchers. Now flyover country home and rent prices have shot up and tech companies are laying people off and/or clawing back their wfh policies. Some are even closing branch offices and telling people they have to come back to Silicon Valley to stay employed.

My employer just closed all of its west coast offices and moved the HQ from Seattle to Durham and while so far there’s no word on ending remote work im dreading the eventuality because im not moving to NC

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

from the reddit posting:

I’m realizing now how ugly these loving flags are since they chose a white stripe for the color, not one of the black stripes. looks horribly askew

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I keep looking at houses in my area and its 650k sold in 2019 for 260k. Idk man, I can't do this anymore.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Acelerion posted:

I keep looking at houses in my area and its 650k sold in 2019 for 260k. Idk man, I can't do this anymore.

lol the housing market collapse is going to be insane

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

I should do the needful and buy one so it will crash

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

California and Florida are just about there, be patient friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

California and Florida are just about there, be patient friend

Been hearing about the bottom falling out of the California housing market any day now since 2014. And yet!