Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?!?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah the best Plinkett moment is when he breaks down the lightsaber duel to Dooku

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think probably my all time favorite RLM bit is still the way mike edited qui gon's convoluted bet with watto over the pod race

we split the winnings eh 50/50                the boy and his mother      suggest YOU front the cash for the entrance fee
                       you keep all the winnings        happen to have acquired a pod in a game of chance
    wager my new racing pod           no pod is worth two slaves     SO, you supplyyyyy the pod,         you keep my ship
        the boy then                so, you keep the pod, I get             he smashed up my pod in the last race       minus the cost of the parts I need
so anakin built the pod, but watto didn't know         already raced with watto's pod        if watto wins,      entry fee
          so anakin tells qui-            let me use your pod        anakin tells qui-gon to pretend that it's... it's his pod      the money for the part
    qui-gon would have to pay back the      wins then he gets the prize money...     throw the mom in      so if watto w      vs. the ship vs the pod-

I lost everything :(

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
also

sharknado slashfic posted:

Most of what I remember of Phantom Menace is not really liking it but being unable to put my finger on why until a guy pretending to be an old man (who is now an old man) on the internet explained it to me
this

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I walked out of tpm thinking it was amazing because I was too young and innocent to comprehend the idea of bad star wars movie, but I've grown significantly in the last 20 years and I think anyone who hasn't should be euthanized for their own good

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Stink Billyums posted:

the only first episode that really stands out in memory to me is the walking dead, for being so good it tricked me into sticking with the show for much longer than I should have.

Yeah Walking Dead had an amazing pilot and really an almost perfect first season. It completely fell off a cliff on season 2 but somehow I kept watching into season 5 before finally accepting that it was never going to reach that level of quality again.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Phantom Menace, crap as it is, will always hold a place in my childhood heart. My friend and I rollerbladed about 10km out to the early show for the premiere at a smaller local theatre. Barely anybody there. Then we had to blade home after.

That plus the OT became my sick day VHSes. Oh and the Matrix about a billion times.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The Last Man on Earth had an amazing first episode. I eventually fell off of the series, but it started out super strong.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Changing that shot in revenge of the sith so that the toddler draws his lightsaber first.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i was 7 or 8 when i saw phantom menace and at the time was a big fan, not so much of the film itself but of all the cool toys released alongside it, especially the lego sets and lightsabers. sure i'd watch it on vhs occasionally but not nearly as often as i would have saber fights and lego spaceship battles with my friends

a short 3 years later, i go see episode 2 in the theater and by that point a switch had flipped. i remember distinctly that attack of the clones was the first movie i was disappointed by, the first time i realized movies could be bad. just fuckin hated it, hated the terrible romance subplot, hated the goofy fake looking cgi, and for the first time recognized a poorly written, incoherent, and unsatisfying structure that ended in a loud, wet fart. i didnt want any of the toys, didnt ever rent it from blockbuster, and when episode 3 came out i didnt see it because i no longer cared. i was out.

for that i have some sort of perverse respect for it. it was the film that taught me to be cynical about movies, to never trust franchises, and to know when to bail. thanks george!

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

my turbonerd uncle loved TPM when it came out, even had the japanese laserdisc imported before it came out on DVD so he could watch it again in his home theater.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

colonelwest posted:

Yeah Walking Dead had an amazing pilot and really an almost perfect first season. It completely fell off a cliff on season 2 but somehow I kept watching into season 5 before finally accepting that it was never going to reach that level of quality again.

To be fair, The Walking Dead's pilot was so good because it was a beat-for-beat copy of the intro to 28 Days Later, just with slower zombies and more cowboy imagery. (Not the show's fault, though, as it just adapted the comic that was actually ripping Danny Boyle.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kdrudy posted:

The Last Vampire on Earth had an amazing first episode. I eventually fell off of the series, but it started out super strong.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The walking dead was really redeeming itself with season 3, and even ended in a really good spot that felt like they were about to finally just do totally their own thing. Then by season 4 episode two that all got shat on

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i remember liking about 25% of the phantom menace when i saw it in the theater. the podrace and the final battle with darth maul with duel of the fates i thought were great as a teenager. the rest of the movie was always dogshit to me. i was also the sucker who watched eps 2 and 3 in the theater just to see if they got better. i also watched all of the sequel trilogy in the theater because i am just a fuckin rube haha. star wars eps 1-9 is like 22 hours of movies, and only like 6 hours is good.

I remember seeing the pod race as a kid and thinking "this is neat, but why aren't they doing spaceship fights instead?" My vague memories tell me that I didn't understand the plot or conflict in the story at all, and half way through the Tatooine parts, I wanted them to get to the star war already.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lister posted:

I remember seeing the pod race as a kid and thinking "this is neat, but why aren't they doing spaceship fights instead?" My vague memories tell me that I didn't understand the plot or conflict in the story at all, and half way through the Tatooine parts, I wanted them to get to the star war already.

Your eight year old self had a better sense of pacing, tone, and theme than a grown man who’d made several films by that point

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remaster the Plinkett Review

stahrworz duh fantumb mennes

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Mega64 posted:

Remaster the Plinkett Review

stahrworz duh fantumb mennes

someone actually did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCR2PN2_lA4

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I was nine when I saw the Phantom Menace in theaters, and even then I could tell something was really off. I hated the Queen and Qui-Gon Booze and even that annoying little twerp Anakin who was supposed to appeal to kids my age.

Why is Disney still trying to rehab those films? No one gives a poo poo anymore other than the sort of die hard Star Wars cultists who cried and jerked themselves off to Hayden Christensen showing up in Ahsoka and one cheesy shot of him turning into Vader. That’s not the audience you need to start making billion dollar moves again.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 10, 2024

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I actually feel kinda bad for anybody who remembers tpm fondly and goes to watch the rerelease because it is genuinely just a really stupid boring piece of poo poo

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
American Fiction is pretty good

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Love to get in my car and drive to a theater and pay money to see a movie that's been on TBS three times a week for the last decade that I also have multiple physical copies of

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

because if they went right to the spaceship fights we wouldn't have established how anakin knows how to do a barrel roll

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Why are you all so young I was in college when tpm came out, gently caress

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

colonelwest posted:

Why is Disney still trying to rehab those films?

they made a gorillion dollars dude

TPM made 1.027 billion dollars theatrically. In its (not so long ago) day it was one of the highest grossing movies ever

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I work with kids who weren’t even born yet when it came out, so it’s all relative.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I would’ve been in college but I wasn’t as smart as Doogie Howser

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

i'm almost 30 and i saw tpm when i was like 5 or 6

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
There are adults that weren't even born when it came out my man

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

lol ur old

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

As bad as both prequels and sequels are you've gotta try to rewrite history and convince people they're good cause you're stuck with them. All of the lovely mish mash elements of Star Wars as an IP are permanently glued in place so if you can't fix that then you try to convince people it's not actually awful.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
now THIS is :corsair:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I was like 8 when it came out. I used to rewatch the VHS, but i always skipped to the pod racing scene, for no reason i could discern at the time...

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

when i was a kid i liked phantom menace. kids are dumb

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
people who were born after episode 3 can vote now

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

people who were born after episode 3 can vote now

This is how democracy dies: with thunderous tiktoks

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
There are seriously children who have only seen Star Wars in the order that the numbers on the cover display and that’s horrifying.

Maybe Canada has the right idea of just euthanizing everyone

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

I work with kids who weren’t even born yet when it came out, so it’s all relative.

My son has never lived through the release of a Star Wars film and I pray he never does. You always want your children to grow up in a better world than you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

My son has never lived through the release of a Star Wars film and I pray he never does. You always want your children to grow up in a better world than you did.
I think there's already a Mandalorian movie coming out next year