Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cheston posted:

I might do a sniper rifle playthrough this time (GMDX). I've never used it, that weapon's consistently useful all through the game, right?
Ammo can get a little scarce towards the end if you lean on it too much. That’s what I’m facing with my most recent playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sniper rifle’s probably the most powerful weapon in the game, it’s instant death to any non-robot and no enemy can even remotely match its engagement range.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cheston posted:

I might do a sniper rifle playthrough this time (GMDX). I've never used it, that weapon's consistently useful all through the game, right?

With one or two levels in rifles, the sniper rifle has perfect aim and can one-shot anything except a big military robot. However, there's not enough ammo to use it on every target.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Cheston posted:

past a certain point you can use it to take out security cameras

your rifle skill will also let you use an assault rifle effectively, laser sight will give it perfect accuracy, you can silence it, and the high explosive rounds are super useful

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Assault rifle was my main through the whole game most of the time.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Even after all these years I still can't get over how fundamentally dumb Invisible War's "universal ammo" system was, and how much it actively discouraged you from using a lot of the weapons in the game. If you're using a shotgun, sniper or heavy weapon with any frequency, hope you have a melee weapon on hand! Of course IW's firearms weren't that great to begin with.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Every Deus Ex game seems like an example of "reach exceeds your grasp" (or, more kindly, "shoot for moon and land among the stars"). I read somewhere that Warren Spector wanted DX1 to branch at the UNATCO/NSF choice but didn't have the development time. IW had some great parallelism with the coffee shops and the WTO/Order, but the game severely needed more time in the oven, even if the lighting engine still holds up. HR needed that extra hub.* MD was wonderfully dense in a way you can only fully understand after multiple playthroughs, and it also meets the "one block" approach that Spector championed, but brilliant design doesn't mean you meet popular success.

I fuckin love the studios like (early) Arkane and Obsidian that enable these games and I'll blindly buy games and EA efforts on Steam to support all of them. :negative:

*I might bitch about the game, but after listening to the DC, all of the developers loved the IP and kept the hope of it bright.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

IW was a big mistake in every single way except maybe graphics and the developers were open about their regrets, post mortem.

I tried soooo hard to get the Assault rifle in GMDX (medium difficulty) to work but after making it to the 3rd to last mission fully skilled and modded and STILL taking over ten bullets to kill a loving greasel I just can't. gently caress this glorified nerf SMG.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Assault rifle was my main through the whole game most of the time.

I think in retrospect it’s a perfectly fine weapon that just feels real fuckin bad. It pulls you into headshots with the recoil. The damage is kind of bad but the ammo is plentiful and it has a good secondary. But firing it sounds like throwing a tennis ball at a wall at 5 hertz and it’s in a game where the starting pistol sounds amazing and kills better.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Assault rifle is great if you can consistently land headshots with it. Once you are to the point that it has no bloom and no recoil it's a point and click adventure.

But the thing is, every gun in DX does that. The assault rifle is just in a weird spot where it's a jack of all trades but master of none; it doesn't have the range or incredible instantaneous killing power of the sniper or its ability to open doors; it's more unwieldy than the pistols and you don't get it as early. It takes more modifications to make it as good at any niche than the other specialized guns; once invested in though, it's faster than the pistol or rifle, the ammo is more plentiful, it outranges everything but the sniper, and yeah, it gets HE20 rounds (or manna from heaven, as Sunglasses at Night puts it).

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm still confused about how in GMDX I couldn't kill a single greasel by doming it continuously with a souped-up, laser-sighted pistol at Advanced training. Or hitting an NSF trooper right in the brainpan at short range with the pistol only for him to turn around and one shot me with pocket plasma in Biomod. Deus Ex weapons are all over the drat place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm still confused about how in GMDX I couldn't kill a single greasel by doming it continuously with a souped-up, laser-sighted pistol at Advanced training. Or hitting an NSF trooper right in the brainpan at short range with the pistol only for him to turn around and one shot me with pocket plasma in Biomod. Deus Ex weapons are all over the drat place.

Mods also go insane about “balance”. DX had plenty of broken poo poo but that was fine because the fun of the game was in becoming a nanotech Superman and also the thought put into the level design.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Eason the Fifth posted:

Every Deus Ex game seems like an example of "reach exceeds your grasp" (or, more kindly, "shoot for moon and land among the stars")

You're blending two different phrases there and reversing their intended meaning. 'Shoot for the moon' is to aim very high, 'shoot for the stars and land on the moon' (or other variations) is to aim too ambitiously but still get great results in practice. The stars are further than the moon.

I'm sorry, it's a pet peeve, like seeing people type out "[they] could care less", argh.

Grimthwacker posted:

That second point might just be the zany DX hitboxes? I know it happened to me a bunch in vanilla.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Serephina posted:

You're blending two different phrases there and reversing their intended meaning. 'Shoot for the moon' is to aim very high, 'shoot for the stars and land on the moon' (or other variations) is to aim too ambitiously but still get great results in practice. The stars are further than the moon.

🤔 I might be misunderstanding, but I'm taking it from the Norman Vincent Peale quote "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" which I don't think is inaccurate? The ambitions of the devs were always greater than the results, but the results were certainly not bad.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 8, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Policing idioms is a fool's errand

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Gaius Marius posted:

Policing idioms is a fool's errand

What a shame.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
why don't you try getting a job?!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Grimthwacker posted:

Even after all these years I still can't get over how fundamentally dumb Invisible War's "universal ammo" system was, and how much it actively discouraged you from using a lot of the weapons in the game. If you're using a shotgun, sniper or heavy weapon with any frequency, hope you have a melee weapon on hand! Of course IW's firearms weren't that great to begin with.

Universal ammo made the guns feel like they were magic wands and you were using a mana pool to power them.

IW's biggest crime though was changing the Dragon's Tooth weapon model from a jian (stately, elegant, the Gentleman of Weapons) to a katana (played-out, mall ninja garbage, doesn't even illuminate darkness)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my favorite bit about Invisible War was they didn't get swimming working so they just set water to kill you if you touched it. this had the systemic effect of making it so you could murder npcs by shoving them into a shower stall and turning on the water.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Grimthwacker posted:

Or hitting an NSF trooper right in the brainpan at short range with the pistol only for him to turn around and one shot me with pocket plasma in Biomod. Deus Ex weapons are all over the drat place.

This might be due to the hitboxes - I saw a breakdown of them once, and apparently the head hitbox can basically only be hit from the cardinal directions, if you hit someone from one of the northwest etc. it has a strong chance of not counting as a head hit.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Without fully upgrading my GMDX skill level the silenced pistol took down any non-augmented human in 2 headshots which felt good enough for me. made it a bit more challenging than the mastered sniper rifle.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

my favorite bit about Invisible War was they didn't get swimming working so they just set water to kill you if you touched it. this had the systemic effect of making it so you could murder npcs by shoving them into a shower stall and turning on the water.

Okay I’m sorry but this is awesome. I’ve never played IW and I want to believe.

E: I also think that throwing vending machines at Tai Yong rent a cops is hilarious so maybe that’s just my sense of humor.

https://youtu.be/0l3wOT9cSg4?si=2bEnONI248f2751J

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 8, 2024

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BTW: stealthily taking down friendly cops is often quite worth it in DX: some of them have weapon mods.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

By popular demand posted:

BTW: stealthily taking down friendly cops is often quite worth it in DX: some of them have weapon mods.

What?! Do you mean like the later games, or are you tranq darting the cops in hong kong or something. This is totally news to me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You find an isolated cop in NY or Paris and tase him or sneakily hit with a batton, a trenq gives him time to shout for help and attack you.
there's also a crime scene in HK where you'll probably have to slaughter the lot as there's too many to drop before they start shooting, but it's all for a weapon mod and no one outside the tunnel would know it was you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's always something to learn about this game lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hell yeah, I just KO'ed every UNATCO soldier on the warehouse mission before broadcast the NSF thing to get the different message Walton Simons has in this case.

not necessarily more funny, just different.

E: one of the Revision game modes was so un-fun as to take XP away for doing that, so another win for GMDX.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-_YcM9ic6M

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

uber_stoat posted:

Shower Death

I instantly recognized her from my brief playthrough not because of her name nor appearance, but the hideous neutral posture which I first mistook for a bugged T-pose.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wild how so many people made fun of JJB's neo-renaissance aesthetic and we're almost there right on time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only problem I had with the aesthetic was that there was no distinction between the ultra rich and the people looking through trash, they all wore the same thing.

Everything about Invisible War just looks so uncomfortably uncanny, from the UI to the character models, to the gun effects. I think the original game is a lot more appealing to look at.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought the neo-renaissance thing was kind of absurd, but it looked cool and they committed to it so it worked. Both of the Montreal games have incredible art direction, dude knew what he was doing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does Cairo or Antarctica handle this gracefully? I have to assume her infolinks later in the level are busted.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 10, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

Does Cairo or Antartica handle this gracefully? I have to assume her infolinks later in the level are busted.

i don't think they planned for it. if i remember correctly mostly it just acts like she's still around.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I liked IW. It really nailed the Schismatrix/Accelerando liminal time vibe. "The cyberpunk past is dead, the sci-fi future is yet unborn, this is the time of monsters."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I liked IW. It really nailed the Schismatrix/Accelerando liminal time vibe. "The cyberpunk past is dead, the sci-fi future is yet unborn, this is the time of monsters."

It was a lot of potential tied to the most absolutely hosed on a technical and gameplay design level game of its decade.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The really messed up thing is that it was running on Unreal engine 2, which means it was genuinely an achievement how bad the game looked, ran, and felt. This was a fairly mature engine by the time the game released, but the way it loads new levels is by crashing the game and restarting it because they couldn't fix a memory leak. I always thought this was a rumor until I tried to stream the game for a friend and I needed to restart the stream every time I hit a new level, which was often because the levels are so tiny.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

The really messed up thing is that it was running on Unreal engine 2, which means it was genuinely an achievement how bad the game looked, ran, and felt. This was a fairly mature engine by the time the game released, but the way it loads new levels is by crashing the game and restarting it because they couldn't fix a memory leak. I always thought this was a rumor until I tried to stream the game for a friend and I needed to restart the stream every time I hit a new level, which was often because the levels are so tiny.

I actually played through and beat the game on Xbox first, and when I played the PC version I was utterly baffled by how it had to restart itself every time you hit a level transition.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

aniviron posted:

which was often because the levels are so tiny.
Because the lighting engine was way better than almost any game at the time, but also a massive unmaintainable hairball written by one guy who left / got canned mid-project. Remember how the little statue in the room with the Assassin Pistol shows up as some freaky shadow cast by a knocked-over lamp? I don’t remember anything else in the 00’s doing that.

I wonder what the exploding templar were an excuse for? They probably wanted to recreate the MIBs from the first game but couldn’t separate the explosion from the ragdoll trigger. Fuckers give you the Dragon’s Tooth then immediately make melee a stupid idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's funny how the engine was so terrible for Invisible War but worked great in Thief 3.