Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

preschool settings are just a petri dish of assorted malaises, some of which you'll even get to personally sample. Im lucky to get carers leave for when one/both/all of us are struck down with seasonal plague

kecske has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Daughter can't crawl yet but she is able to move by lifting herself straight up and then either falling forward, or pushing back. Lateral movement through rolling.
She doesn't get very far before she reaches the end of the known universe, her playmat,, and needs to be reset, but she can move

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My kid was so impatient to walk that she tried crawling exactly once (did this weird mantis-like wobble thing for a couple of feet then stopped), then skipped all that nonsense to spend a few weeks practicing standing aided/cruising, then doing it all unaided, and then went right to taking her first steps around 8-9 months (she was as big as a 2yo at this point anyway so she had the strength)

can you hook me up with the ent-draught you're feeding your kid?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

On the plus side we get a good excuse to miss my wife's formal attire work event since we're home with a sick kid...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and be ready for croup, croup sucks and is terrifying the first time you encounter it their temp can spike really fast and high.

it's free croup.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I hate realizing too late that I'm unconsciously bragging about my child to other parents.

I really am proud of him, but he's the one who needs to hear that, not a neighbor mom.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Brag about your kids every chance. It is a fun activity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm bragging about my my kid right now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
She can roll back to front and that's about a month a head of schedule. Nearly two if you count at night when only my wife could see it

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is this where I complain about private school tuition?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and be ready for croup, croup sucks and is terrifying the first time you encounter it their temp can spike really fast and high.

my kid kept on getting croup at like 1 am on snowy days. thank goodness at the time we lived 5 min from a children’s ER.

you’ll know right off the bat it’s croup when your kid’s cough is a bark. go straight to Dr.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

KirbyKhan posted:

I have to stop because yeah I can talk about my kid all day .

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SirPablo posted:

Yes!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SirPablo posted:

I'm deeply ashamed to admit I'm considering private school because I'm a huge believer in the importance of a robust public education system and everyone who rejects it has no solidarity with those who depend on it. Which is toxic as hell to society at large.

But gently caress suddenly being reassigned to a school that has an 80% illiteracy rate for 3rd graders. That's terrifying and attending that school won't help.

So rant away, there's at least one other class traitor listening.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

My kid is so smart

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been playing the Bluey game with my kid, and the other day after we got the first map piece I let her play solo while I went off and did some chores. When we came back to the game the next day, she asked for my help with getting a map piece, so I figured sure why not let's get the second one. Helped her out and got the map piece.... the third one. Turns out she'd played an entire episode and gotten the second map piece without my help whatsoever lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

I'm deeply ashamed to admit I'm considering private school because I'm a huge believer in the importance of a robust public education system and everyone who rejects it has no solidarity with those who depend on it. Which is toxic as hell to society at large.

But gently caress suddenly being reassigned to a school that has an 80% illiteracy rate for 3rd graders. That's terrifying and attending that school won't help.

My son goes to public school because I also want to support the public education system, and he does well in the environment. My daughter is more sensitive to big environments, so a private school happened to work for her and she's doing well there.

A land of contrasts.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My daughter will eat anything anywhere all at once. Completely pacified by food and delighted at every dish I have poured my blood sweat and tears into. Right now her molars are coming in so she is a crabby patty.

My son is polite about how he will not eat anymore. He offers it back to me. He is intuitive eater and is receptive to hyper specific nutrients. This week he is accepting protein, calcium, and simple carbohydrates. I think he is doing a growth spurt.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Teachers said my 4yo is the nicest, most helpful kid in the class

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
watching orion and the dark right now, pretty good story about a super anxious kid

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've been playing the Bluey game with my kid, and the other day after we got the first map piece I let her play solo while I went off and did some chores. When we came back to the game the next day, she asked for my help with getting a map piece, so I figured sure why not let's get the second one. Helped her out and got the map piece.... the third one. Turns out she'd played an entire episode and gotten the second map piece without my help whatsoever lol

hell yes

Mustached Demon posted:

Teachers said my 4yo is the nicest, most helpful kid in the class

congrats

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter is getting to the point where she can successfully guide Yoshi through a few levels of Mario Wonder as player 2 and I know Yoshi can't take enemy damage but I'm still proud of her

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my daughter got under 9th place in 150 cc last night and wife and I both were over the god drat moon

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my daughter is sick, fussy and miserable seeming all day and then she threw up right before bed. tonight is probably not going to be fun...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my daughter has been sleeping consistently since 5.5 months. post-bath bedtime routine is 10 minutes and she gets herself to sleep. she's never had any issues with naps.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
gently caress you

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lobster shirt posted:

my daughter is sick, fussy and miserable seeming all day and then she threw up right before bed. tonight is probably not going to be fun...

F

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RBC posted:

gently caress you

Echoing this.

We're going through a bit of a regression her, only short naps, and keeping waking up early

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RBC posted:

gently caress you

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Dreylad posted:

my daughter has been sleeping consistently since 5.5 months. post-bath bedtime routine is 10 minutes and she gets herself to sleep. she's never had any issues with naps.

Same. It's skill.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
git gud scrubs

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

5.5 months is pretty remarkable but yeah it rules when even those first 10 mos were just 1am feedings and back to sleep. easy babies ftw

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SirPablo posted:

My son goes to public school because I also want to support the public education system, and he does well in the environment. My daughter is more sensitive to big environments, so a private school happened to work for her and she's doing well there.

A land of contrasts.

It's kind of the same as rich people doing charity vs progressive taxation. Individuals deciding to use the public schools isn't gonna save it, we need mandatory buy in, combined with good school districts so you don't get class separation by geography either.

I'm getting the best of both worlds for the oldest, public autism school is kinda like private school because it's small classes and stuff, but still technically the public option.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ikanreed posted:

This is a very common stance though.

I am pretty committed to sending our kid to our 2/10 neighborhood elementary because I also think it's important not to bail and that learning at that age is largely based on what you do as a parent anyway. But it's still just a hypothetical to me so I may just be talking poo poo.

Ironically the other closer school is an 8/10 but the reviews from parents are much worse.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I may be biased, but the main thing kids should be learning the first couple of years is basically interacting with the other kids, teachers and the teaching environment. Reading and math is just a bonus.

But also the parents that write reviews are likely the worst parents. Like, the kind of person who will rate dinner 1/5 because one dish had cilantro.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

This is a very common stance though.

I am pretty committed to sending our kid to our 2/10 neighborhood elementary because I also think it's important not to bail and that learning at that age is largely based on what you do as a parent anyway. But it's still just a hypothetical to me so I may just be talking poo poo.

Ironically the other closer school is an 8/10 but the reviews from parents are much worse.

How do you tell a good school from a bad one without having a kid there?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Quality of their clothes, color of their skin.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When we were house hunting and there were these enclaved of better houses in generally poorer cities and the schools would be rated poo poo and it's almost always because "other than your neighborhood, the kids using this school are all poor minorities"
It's just classic American segregation

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well despite puking during her bedtime routine and taking forever to fall asleep due to coughing, my daughter eventually settled down and slept all night. hooray. she is a really easy baby and generally has been a great sleeper.

my son on the other hand...... he stinks at falling asleep, staying asleep, and staying in his own bed! but he is not sick at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Votskomit posted:

How do you tell a good school from a bad one without having a kid there?

Easy: you have friends that you know and trust who have kids there!