Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

If you post with AVs turned off you have no way of knowing what everyone looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
im batman

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://x.com/MacroEdgeRes/status/1756016887199084642?s=20

Seems bad

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The cloud finally killed off the need for physical switches.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Licensing bullshit finally killed off the need to buy Cisco.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh I see you want a switch, well you’re going to need DNA center to go along with that and how about some infrastructure to run that on? Also our various web portals are contradictory, impossible to manage and our staff barely know anything about the product.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh I see you want a switch, well you’re going to need DNA center to go along with that and how about some infrastructure to run that on? Also our various web portals are contradictory, impossible to manage and our staff barely know anything about the product.

Don't forget to throw millions of dollars into Tetration, for some reason!

...Training budget? What training budget?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If you post with AVs turned off you have no way of knowing what everyone looks like

that's right, i'm a walking billboard to watch Pantheon (2022). it's in sonarr it's really easy to find a copy

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I almost went in on Meraki but I have about 50k in hardware alone under my desk that I use as a foot rest as the previous MSP refuses to release them and it soured me on the entire system.

Requiring a license doesn’t really bother me much though it’s bullshit that a catalyst 9200L is around the same price as an ms120.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I cannot accept the Meraki licensing model. You never know what will happen with budgets, and I cannot accept the possibility that if my budget gets cut, I don't have a working network anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Those costs I consider the same as electricity. Oh I’m sorry you want a network? Here is the yearly cost. Don’t want a network then don’t pay it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, new resume from Parahexavoctal, 10 jobs applied, hopefully I start getting some responses. I got an email saying that I was no longer qualifying for medicaid which was scary, I corrected the income in my profile that was like 50% too high so hopefully that fixes it. At least I get another 3 months of my meds this month, so if I do get dropped that's my primary costs handled.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
The helpdesk monkeys where I work have started this new thing where they'll send tickets to a whole slew of different departments hoping one of them sticks.

A stream of work notes alternating between "Please resolve if this is in your scope" and "this has nothing to do with us, please forward to the correct group for resolution."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Most of our misrouted tickets happen because our old assignment group was "IT Lab Support", so we end up as the catch-all. We do have a form to flag Service Desk people for remediation, which is nice. In Service Now, next to the assignment group, we have a button to send it to any of 3 assignment groups, most notably being the affected user's onsite support team. We hope that anyone who can't manage "press a button" gets unfucked or managed out in short order.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'd be more irritated with this if there was a clear escalation and responsibility matrix. I run into this all the time escalating tickets because there's a zillion groups for just Epic and it's hard to tell who is responsible for what

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
SOX auditing. I don't think I need to say much more.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Accipiter posted:

The helpdesk monkeys where I work have started this new thing where they'll send tickets to a whole slew of different departments hoping one of them sticks.

A stream of work notes alternating between "Please resolve if this is in your scope" and "this has nothing to do with us, please forward to the correct group for resolution."

Sounds like every helpdesk I’ve ever had the misfortune to deal with.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our helpdesk is actually really good, we don’t get a ton of mis-escalated tickets. It’s amazing what having a good service desk manager can do. And if I do have a complaint he’s a teams message away and I know he’ll address it.

We also empower the helpdesk techs to solve problems well beyond what a normal helpdesk does. We are big on promoting from within, there are quite a number of people here who got their start on the helpdesk, including their current manager.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is the response I got from Google support about an issue with Workspace. I disagreed with their assessment that something not working should be requested as a feature to vote on through their community support forum. They then marked the case as resolved.

quote:

Thank you for contacting Google Workspace.

Your honest feedback is a gift! It helps us understand what you like and what we can do better to deliver an amazing experience for all our customers. We encourage you to keep sharing your thoughts and ideas. Your continued feedback is crucial for shaping the future of our product.

Thank you for choosing Google Workspace.

I'm 90% sure this is some Chat GPT generated poo poo.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

devmd01 posted:

Our helpdesk is actually really good, we don’t get a ton of mis-escalated tickets. It’s amazing what having a good service desk manager can do. And if I do have a complaint he’s a teams message away and I know he’ll address it.

We also empower the helpdesk techs to solve problems well beyond what a normal helpdesk does. We are big on promoting from within, there are quite a number of people here who got their start on the helpdesk, including their current manager.

That’s most of our IT org, which is dope as poo poo. A good helpdesk manager/director is one of the most important roles in the org IMO. The techs are representatives of the department that interact with all levels of the company. It’s important to have good ones or your IT dept looks like poo poo internally. If you can’t get decent entry level people your tier 2/3/ops guys are probably poo poo too. loving love our helpdesk manager.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

This is the response I got from Google support about an issue with Workspace. I disagreed with their assessment that something not working should be requested as a feature to vote on through their community support forum. They then marked the case as resolved.
Got the similar poo poo with Okta. It can deprovision accounts via SCIM for anything else I throw at it, but if I want it to deprovision AWS accounts, that is a feature request to be voted on by the community. (It can disable them, just not remove them completely.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Trying to get an idea since I’ve only worked one support role so far.

How many tickets do you usually handle a day normally?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Depends on your level. I get maybe 1 a week.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A ticket or billable event every 15 minutes, so 30 or so to account for a poo poo and you should pick up smoking to get that number down more too.

Decent desks will allow another 15 if you are able to close at the point of contact.

If you end up just routing problems then your expectations may be 5 minutes on the phone, those places are very unhealthy and give no growth.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That is a huge huge range of possible answers depending on the org you are in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I know it's not directly relevant but when I was working for an ISP, I would troubleshoot 60-80 calls on a busy day.

Looking back on that job, while awful, it sure taught be a lot of valuable skills that have proved useful over the course of my career.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Low level here are expected to close 10 a day. Most of those are easy, but there are some investigations sprinkled in, many of which they’ll escalate for one reason or another. T2/3s are expected to close 6 because they get harder cases and help the frontliners. System admins 4, but they get cases relating to entire customer systems and challenging cases. They also provide help to the t2/3 guys.

This is at a busy MSP. Many people exceed those numbers, some don’t meet them. More important is utilization rate - i think companies aim for 80% these days but I could be wrong.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My team is internal corporate IT for a medium sized business (~200 users) and we get maybe two dozen tickets a day, and as a T2 I would say I resolve 8-10 of them. My T1 does another 8-10 and the remaining ones get routed to our accounting software guy or network guy or just to the director of IT in case the user's 'issue' is with IT policy rather than a technical one lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I do not work tickets anymore and could not be happier about that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Four complicated issues a day seems like an expectation that is too high.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Our applications team of three works between 50-100 a day, 60% of which are fully automated (account creation, role assignments, auditing, etc). SharePoint is probably the most time consuming poo poo outside of one-off application issues because… it’s SharePoint and getting end users to understand anything in it is a Sisyphean task (not a dig at users there, our environment has legacy sites built in the on-prem days, teams sites, sites sites, teams sites that are actually sites, etc., makes it impossible to really show a non-technical person what they need to do).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sharepoint not having deny permissions is one of its biggest problems. We will tell people to restructure their data before we start breaking inheritance to provide stuff like a confidential folder within an existing structure.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Sharepoint not having deny permissions is one of its biggest problems. We will tell people to restructure their data before we start breaking inheritance to provide stuff like a confidential folder within an existing structure.

Huge problem. We have a fuckload of unique permissions because the structure this poo poo was setup in was stupid as gently caress.

We have our legacy root site that has a ton of sites and subsites within them all built before we moved to SPO. Tons of lists using lookup fields so every list is a loving land mine that is a cascade of failures if anything is changed.

I absolutely loathe that SharePoint was dumped in my lap as an afterthought because if it were my actual job, I’d have at least a year of projects lined up to get all of that unfucked. It needs to be done, but I’ve got my actual job to do so *kicks can*

Maybe if they paid me what a SharePoint dev makes I’d consider it (I would not, in fact, consider it because SharePoint is a full time job on it’s own if you’re doing it right. Well, a part time job if you’re doing it right and your organization is organized in a way that makes sense but lol)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

I do not work tickets anymore and could not be happier about that

Tickets are optional for me. If I've got bandwidth, I'll take some stuff I can do remotely to save the rest of the team the time. Yesterday, one of the lab managers was doing due diligence to get a vendor tech to stop blaming a non-existent firewall or Windows Update (service stopped and disabled). I put an hour into it including reviewing Event Viewer, then sent her a nice writeup with screenshots. The lovely person she is, she made one ticket each for three computers. Nobody cares about my stats, but having some is a bonus.

This is the same vendor (probably a different tech) where they spent a week blaming anti-virus software that I had removed on Monday for connection failures to a database. Come Friday they figured out they had borked their ODBC configuration. Another tech from that vendor was setting up a new instrument, got to the part of the configuration where they allow their app through the firewall. It took a lot of convincing to get them to believe that "the firewall is off on the private network" makes that step unnecessary.

It's waters.com and each of these instruments costs about $160,00. And this is the support we get.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Four complicated issues a day seems like an expectation that is too high.

Perhaps. MSPs are not known for treating their workers well or focusing on quality. My attempts at the latter are unfortunately compromised at times due to time constraints

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Toward the start of my career I worked for a small MSP whose major contract was point of sale and store IT for a service retailer with ~2200 locations. Morning people would clear over 100 tickets per day easily, and it was low stress. Issues were all recurring things that were well understood, like "which menu do I find national accounts under" or "how do I clear this tractor feed print jam".
Current shop has a helpdesk team of 4 for a 1000 person or so construction company. They do 3 tickets each on a slow day and maybe 20 on a busy day, but the issues tend to require a lot more investigation.
Ticket volume varies, in a sort of predictable way, by industry and size.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
My entire group normally handles maybe 5 escalated tickets a week.

That's out of probably hundreds that hit the helpdesk. (I work for a big global company.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Also our various web portals are contradictory, impossible to manage and our staff barely know anything about the product.
But enough about Oracle.

I had a good laugh a few jobs back where the company had gone all in on Oracle because some smooth talking salesdrone promised a bunch of discounts if they went all in on Oracle's product ecosystem. Fast forward a couple of years and everything is a mishmash of oracle and non oracle products and they're trying to untangle how much they need to pay. After maybe half a year of multiple inventory takings, endless email chains and meetings, the Oracle account manager comes back with "Sorry, we don't know how much we should invoice you because we don't understand our own licencing model."

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We supported maybe 120 people and over 400 workstations for what was a seven person team before they cut it down to six. We had three people onsite a day and whoever was there would handle four phone calls a day on average, plus a few walk-ins and maybe a couple more on the ticket system. These were spread out and everyone was expected to do about 100 tickets a month with a 4 day workweek. A lot of our tickets ended up being programs we installed or vulnerabilities we remediated. The actual head scratching problems were few and far between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tehinternet posted:

That’s most of our IT org, which is dope as poo poo. A good helpdesk manager/director is one of the most important roles in the org IMO. The techs are representatives of the department that interact with all levels of the company. It’s important to have good ones or your IT dept looks like poo poo internally. If you can’t get decent entry level people your tier 2/3/ops guys are probably poo poo too. loving love our helpdesk manager.

Our helpdesk is mainly staffed by student workers and it shows. There's nothing wrong with that on the surface, but the turnover is so high that you can't really train them to do more than field calls and transfer tickets.