Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Kaddish posted:

How about the Liberator Explosive?

BeAuMaN posted:

Dropped 20 medals on that Explosive Liberator/assault rifle in the steeled veterans warbond. Not really that great. The fact that it had explosive rounds didn't seem to matter much. Went back to SMG.

Not worth it, or at least I didn't notice much difference. At least against bugs.

On that note: How's the grenade launcher stratagem?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Breaker autoshotgun is very good. Contrary to the description, it's pretty ammo-efficient and is perfectly fine at medium ranges.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Amuys posted:

People who throw mines into tall grass are awful

I have yet to encounter a teammate who can be trusted to use mines responsibly

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I liked the liberator explosive because of the fire rate but the knight is very handy against bugs or when you gotta carry something

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I hosed up a throw and ended up bringing a minefield exactly at the center of the ICBM launchpad....and to no surprise my squaddies could not figure them out even as I was shooting at the mines to clear them....lots of reinforcements right there.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Kinda weird that the smg is pretty much a straight upgrade to the liberator.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

Game looks good, tho I’ve read that the anti-cheat is pretty aggressive? and the monetization seems so as well. Is this just what GaaS is these days though?

The premium currency is findable on mission and after 5 or so mission with other Goons, I'm about 1/4 the way to buying their battlepass. Doesn't really seem all that bad to me.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Benagain posted:

More like side-grade, the Lib reloads faster and has better DPS.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The SMG can be used one-handed when you're carrying a data core. Otherwise you have to use your sidearm.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How is the PC performance? When this first released I had seen rumblings the PC was kind of garbage and there was a lot of CTDs and poor Performance despite systems that should easily handle the game at max

Seems like it is an amd issue primarily

victrix posted:

setting up a recoilless/loading weapon + loader + supply pack circle jerk is incredibly powerful and also basically never going to happen in a pubby game

but if you get that running with a few turrets and your supply and fourth running decent ranged guns to deal with trash you can lay down a massive amount of firepower to deal with heavies

(side note on ranged, I saw someone besmirching the honor of the marksman rifle, your opinion on that may change when you realize the size of weak points on the heavier terminator units)

Can you explain how to do that? I've only used it solo before. Like do you need to give your backpack to someone, or do they just need to stand behind you? Or both, right?

Tei posted:

- The backpack drone with a machine gun, but would replace with the laser one if is better.

Something weird happened to me with the backpack drone. First of all it's the laser one when I thought it was the machine gun one. It's the first unlock, I'll have to check it.

Then, I was calling it down I think I had thrown it but it hasn't hit the ground yet, and I died. Now it shows as NOT unlocked in my strategems, but it is since I can still use it. Gonna double check if it should be the machine gun one but I think it should've been.

Probably the main better thing about the laser is it's easier to not get yourself killed by it since you can see it easily. And avoid running directly into the line of fire

Benagain posted:

Yeah the smg is bizarrely good. I kept trying other things but always came back to it. I think it does more damage and shoots faster than the assault rifle. Plus you can use it one hand for carry missions. Reloads pretty fast. Just a very solid standard weapon.

So far I like the machine pistol as well. Good for pulling out in a hurry when you get snuck up on or flanked

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

BeAuMaN posted:

Absolutely fantastic. Armour breaks all the medium bugs and will clear loads of small ones in one nade.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Absolutely fantastic. Armour breaks all the medium bugs and will clear loads of small ones in one nade.
You can also pop bug holes with a well placed grenade launcher shot. Kills the big bile bugs in 2 shots or so as well.

Combine with the resupply backpack to keep the freedom flowing. You can resupply yourself by tapping (5).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cool. Almost enough credits to unlock, will do that.

ZeusCannon posted:

I liked the liberator explosive because of the fire rate but the knight is very handy against bugs or when you gotta carry something

Can you expand on this a bit? Because I equipped it, shot some bugs. The fire rate is slower, you get a bit less ammo, and it didn't seem to kill them that much faster. The explosive part of it seemed almost completely aesthetic. What is this gun good at?

Benagain posted:

I think it's weird they have the same amount of armor piercing.

Play posted:

Can you explain how to do that? I've only used it solo before. Like do you need to give your backpack to someone, or do they just need to stand behind you? Or both, right?
afaik the backpack and the recoilless drop from the same pod. One person has the rifle, the other has the backpack (or one person can have both, but slower).
The backpack person has to be behind them, but not directly behind; instead, behind and a little off to the right, near where the tube sits on the shooter's shoulder. You then get a prompt to press "E" (or controller equivalent to activate objects). This makes it so that you're glued to them in the loading position. As they fire, your character will load more rounds into the recoiless rifle. For top teamwork, someone should be covering the two person recoiless rifle team by shooting any smaller bugs away so they can concentrate on shooting the charger rushing towards you.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 10, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

vogonity posted:

How are you assigning the paddles to run? DualSense Edge or some other controller?

Yeah, Edge.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game is fuckin great.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Feels like Challenging is the limit of a what an uncoordinated group can manage to full clear the map and Hard is the limit for just doing objectives and bailing. My Super Destroyer for a pubbie who understands that just because we can see the bugs does not mean we have to engage them.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

90% sure the 'explosive' in the Liberator Explosive is a damage type rather than an area of effect? Some enemies definitely have weakness/resistance to certain weapon types - the fat bile bugs go down to two grenade launcher rounds but can take multiple rifle magazines.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1stGear posted:

Feels like Challenging is the limit of a what an uncoordinated group can manage to full clear the map and Hard is the limit for just doing objectives and bailing. My Super Destroyer for a pubbie who understands that just because we can see the bugs does not mean we have to engage them.

:same: to all of this

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Don't dick around outside the dropship, karma'll getcha

https://i.imgur.com/0EnxtBN.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, the automatic shotgun fucks severely. I wasn't too taken with the pump-action one, but the automatic feels so much better, especially when set to semi auto. It's got a surprising amount of range, and just clicking the small enemies away one at a time is really satisfying. It's also very good against hunters and warriors.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

round up of known issues

https://arrowhead.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12573380356508-Known-issues

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

1stGear posted:

I love it when they stop and engage a patrol with their gun for no reason then the poo poo absolutely hits the fan lmao

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The portable autocanon owns. It comes with a backpack so you have ammo for ages. Now I use it for big armored bugs, and a automatic shotgun and don't know what to do with the other slots. Maybe some arty.

I still have problems with the huge armored bugs,that I used to shot a them with the expendable rockets, but is anoying to temporally lose the canon.

Tei fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 11, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If I don't have a friend or an armor piercing strat I usually just go shotgun against the legs of the big bugs. Conversely, shotty does way less full frontal damage to atomatons and I have to rely on the machine gun far more which tbf does a good job of melting them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grenade Launcher + Resupply pack is great, it's nice having something that you can plug up bug holes from a distance although you need a good angle on it for it to work.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Democracy triumphs, Helldivers!

Heeth's been liberated (or well, close enough), so while the Major Order isn't over and Angel's Venture still needs to be wrapped up, there's two new planets available in the Umlaut Sector if you want to mess around on different maps. Fenrir III is some kind of rocky moon and Erata Prime's a desert planet. Nice to get a change of scenery at least.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 11, 2024

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Had a weird glitch that happened on a solo game on PS5 earlier. For reasons unknown suddenly any big bug that spawned would just haul rear end immediately in a set direction. I would come across them at the end of cliffs and water just lunging. The small stuff behaved normally. :confused:

Are Eagle stratagems worth it? I bought the 50% faster reload ship module for my first pick, and went with Napalm, mainly because I joined a game with two guys who seemed pretty experienced and they were both running the cluster bomb version of it.

Also I’m sure I saw a bonus earlier on where you’d get 15 medals for completing a number of secondary objectives. Last I checked it had 20 hours to go, but when I logged on earlier it was gone. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think the do 8 side objectives was specifically for Heeth?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jossar posted:

Democracy triumphs, Helldivers!

Heeth's been liberated (or well, close enough), so while the Major Order isn't over and Angel's Venture still needs to be wrapped up, there's two new planets available in the Umlaut Sector if you want to mess around on different maps. Fenrir III is some kind of rocky moon and Erata Prime's a desert planet. Nice to get a change of scenery at least.

Excellent news. I want to play a map that is more clean and where he bugs are easily visible, for once. Will be a wellcome change of pace.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The bonus medal thing ended 40 minutes ago, so you just missed it.

PSA: You can go Options, Controller, Keybinds, Combat, and assign a button such as L1 to throw grenades while aiming with L2. Very useful.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

e: I've noticed that I have access to the railgun right now, is this because of the recent planetary liberation? I thought it was because I bought a suit with supercredits, but a friend new to the game hasit as well

BeAuMaN posted:

Not worth it, or at least I didn't notice much difference. At least against bugs.

Grenade Launcher is good, but better to shoot the ground right in front of enemies instead of directly at them because the nades will bounce off of heavily armoured enemies. A few times I have killed myself or been killed by others because of the ricochet.

1stGear posted:

Yeah this is annoying. Yesterday I had a mission where my team used up all the reinforcements and failed because they wouldn't run away from the last bug nest they killed. Would just keep running circles around it from the chasers who kept spawning in for 15+ minutes, and would reinforce me back to them when I got killed trying to escape.

Sestze posted:

You can also pop bug holes with a well placed grenade launcher shot. Kills the big bile bugs in 2 shots or so as well.

Combine with the resupply backpack to keep the freedom flowing. You can resupply yourself by tapping (5).

I think anything that does explosive damage is good for bug holes. I've been closing them with the autocannon at long range as long as I have a good angle. This might be what makes the premium weapons good? Maybe you can just run up and shoot them closed without needing grenades or using stratagems or support weapons.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 11, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Been marathoning this with irl buds all day, haven't had a game grab us like this in a long time. fuckin rocks

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

Been marathoning this with irl buds all day, haven't had a game grab us like this in a long time. fuckin rocks

Big same, though I've had to contest with a couple crashes and it running my system very hot

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RqAlO5xeuQ

I'm doing my part.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BeAuMaN posted:

Cool. Almost enough credits to unlock, will do that.

Can you expand on this a bit? Because I equipped it, shot some bugs. The fire rate is slower, you get a bit less ammo, and it didn't seem to kill them that much faster. The explosive part of it seemed almost completely aesthetic. What is this gun good at?

I think it's weird they have the same amount of armor piercing.

It definitely felt like it did about the same damage as the liberator just with less shots. And i meant its slower rate of fire felt more controllable at longer ranges. I dont know if it holds up above hard though. And i didnt notice any extra penetration or explosion tbh

I dont know if its good but its fine

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I seem to have less ammo issues with the explosive lib compared to the regular one and especially the smg. The smg slaps but popping resupplies like they are tic-tacs.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Alright. I'll have to play around with it more when I get a chance. Yeah I have that Knight SMG and it slaps. While it chews through ammo it also chews through enemies (at least without heavier armor like the armored lobsters). I haven't tried the defender SMG yet but it's on my next unlock list so I can get the page to get a different booster, that way groups I go with can have at least two boosters running.

For those not sure on Boosters: A booster affects the whole party. Only one copy of the same booster can be equipped by anyone i the party at one time. So if you can't have multiple ammo boosters, but you could have 1 ammo booster and 1 vitality booster.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Aside from the obvious poo poo with matchmaking that just needs to be fixed, soon, I feel like medal income is light - particularly given some of the higher tier battle pass costs. Completing the paid pass, in particular, seems like kind of a grind!

The core game is great but it really epitomizes “rough around the edges”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I started getting more medals once i paid attention to the little gems on the map and blowing open the caches