Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Thank you to whoever posted the re-release. Saw it today in theaters for first time and it rocked!!

Noticed so many small details I never saw in the streaming version at home. So pumped for 2une.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

saw it in imax with my partner. it ruled. the haters need to gently caress completely off forever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm Dune, Dunc and Jodorowsky’s Dune are all $10-12 right now

What new details did you see in Dune that you didn’t before

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a Blu-ray of Extendedune

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a Blu-ray of Extendedune
Yes, the NLVE script that was used to produce the Alternative Edition Redux has been run over the BluRay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yw2nGCUPa4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Alas

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Name Change posted:

Unless it adds like 90 minutes of plot it's not going to do much for the second half of the movie.

I really enjoy Dune '84 for what it is, but the last half in particular make it seem insane. IIRC, there's basically no explanation of the kwisatz haderach or the demonic spacebaby at all and stuff just starts happening. There is a Godpug of Dune who gets more screentime than several important characters.

The Redux version is an interesting watch because he combed through every single piece of released footage, took what he can, and remixed some of it in a creative way. For example, the extended exposition dump in the beginning of the TV version was chopped up into lessons that Paul views on his iPad throughout the movie. Really clever and works very well!

There are absolutely additions that help out with the last part (there are several characters I the throne room duel that are completely unexplained in the theatrical version), but even with all of that you can see how little footage was shot for the final act. I’m not sure if that was the production running out of money or if it was written that way, but to be the fair the book flies through that part too…

I really wish Lynch would make an official cut like this so a studio would throw some money at cleaning up the extended footage (some of it is from VHS, somehow) but that will clearly never happen.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1756388478860861766

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Not everything needs to be made public.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

david_a posted:

The Redux version is an interesting watch because he combed through every single piece of released footage, took what he can, and remixed some of it in a creative way. For example, the extended exposition dump in the beginning of the TV version was chopped up into lessons that Paul views on his iPad throughout the movie. Really clever and works very well!

There are absolutely additions that help out with the last part (there are several characters I the throne room duel that are completely unexplained in the theatrical version), but even with all of that you can see how little footage was shot for the final act. I’m not sure if that was the production running out of money or if it was written that way, but to be the fair the book flies through that part too…

I really wish Lynch would make an official cut like this so a studio would throw some money at cleaning up the extended footage (some of it is from VHS, somehow) but that will clearly never happen.

Lynch unfortunately continues to feel psychic pain whenever anyone so much as brings up the Dune '84 production.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This is the kind of poo poo Romantic poets would mail to each other in the mid-19th century.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
when my ancient rear end is confronted by the ethereal beauty of the elfin twink lad

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dude it's called acting, you don't need to become a bard for real.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The song is about Caladanian daughters, Josh. :mad:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
https://www.methsyndicate.com/product/sand-worm

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Dune Part 1 in-cinema rewatch number one complete, on a Liemax screen today. It's been a while since I last saw it and my love for it hasn't diminished. The Part 2 preview at the end of the film was great, nice to see what looked like practical sand worm air hole flaps in that scene, when it could have just been done all on a green screen.

Next up is a dual laser IMAX screening tomorrow afternoon.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Steve Yun posted:

What new details did you see in Dune that you didn’t before

Mostly the writing in books, paper, etc. I had never seen it up close. Also the voices in his head, like being told to let go of the controls, etc.

One other thing, the sheer size of arakeen. When Duncan steals the thopter there's a short bit with him hovering over a market, the market is tiny.

About a minute in at the very bottom of the screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA6X09D7Gyk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love hd, man

In Lawrence of Arabia, I grew up on the vhs and dvd so when I finally got the Blu-ray I watched it over again. There’s a scene where one of the boys is waiting to see if Lawrence returns from the desert safely with the other boy. I always thought it was an empty horizon but it turns out on the Blu-ray you can see Lawrence as a single pixel, which was too small for dvd resolution to render

In Fear and Loathing there’s a scene where Hunter is going nuts and it wasn’t until the Blu-ray that someone pointed out to me that you could see there was cocaine on his moustache

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I had this same experience with Jaws, a film I’d seen in the theater 3x and on various cable/vhs/dvd releases maybe twenty times or so. A movie that had been near and dear to my heart for about thirty years, at that point?

The first time I saw it in HD, I saw things I’d never seen before. So much detail.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

God I can’t wait to wear that anywhere besides the premier of 2UNC.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Question about prescience in the book and its sequels:

I never fully understood (or I understood and have since forgotten) how prescience operates in the books, specifically Paul's relationship to it. My understanding is that Paul can see all possible futures, but the range of those futures is very limited because the events of Dune have been set up to unfold before he was born. But does Paul also see the Golden Path that Leto sees, and reject it out of fear, or does Leto see more than Paul?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

So, bearing in mind my memory is imperfect and it's been a bit...

The Golden Path itself becomes more of a "thing" after the first book, because Paul's visions then are primarily about trying to thread the needle between Dying Miserably In The Desert and Infinite Galactic Jihad. He's just not looking that far ahead yet. If I recall, Leto II the Second talks about Paul seeing it more clearly later but being afraid of what he would have to do to see it through. Essentially, the same moral "weakness" that made Paul try to thread that needle originally and not just embrace the Jihad is the same one that made him unable to embrace the Golden Path. Leto II was born into and grew up stewing in prescient visions and knowledge, and was if anything an even more perfect Kwisatz Haderach than Paul. He couldn't not see and embrace it because it was always with him - he has the occasional temptation to divert and follow a different path for himself, living out a normal human life, but he would always know.

The first book has some direct narration of Paul's early experiences with his visions, and he likens it to being able to see a different landscape around him but with natural features blocking things off. I can't recall the metaphor used, whether being in a valley with cliffs blocking certain paths, or maybe swells in a stormy sea. Maybe both at different times. So he can see different futures but also there are massive forces closing off possibilities as events come to fruition, as momentum from previous events carries them forward blocking things off. And as he travels forward, he's descending deeper into the valley so more and more is being closed off from choices he doesn't make but others do.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Question about prescience in the book and its sequels:

I never fully understood (or I understood and have since forgotten) how prescience operates in the books, specifically Paul's relationship to it. My understanding is that Paul can see all possible futures, but the range of those futures is very limited because the events of Dune have been set up to unfold before he was born. But does Paul also see the Golden Path that Leto sees, and reject it out of fear, or does Leto see more than Paul?

He describes it being on water and seeing wave crests that rise and fall out of sight. Like each glimpse of a crest is a path and outcome. And each time they change but there’s one big theme of jihad and the shrine of letos skull. Paul sees the ultimate requirements to save humanity from stagnation but doesn’t have the fortitude to do what is necessary. Leto sees the same as Paul and makes the hard choice.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is just a hypothesis of mine, but I always assumed that the reason why Paul couldn't do what Leto III did, is that he was a Kwizats Hadarach born a generation too early; ie. Jessica was supposed to have a daughter who could be manipulated by the Bene Gesserit to have the child of Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.
That child would presumably be a lot more ruthless because of the genetic nonsense that informs much of the books' ideas about how people work.

Frank Herbert included a non-trivial amount of supposed :biotruths:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Yeah but also the Bene Gesserit were so busy trying to make a Kwisatz Haderach they forgot he might be other stuff as well, including stuff they could not comprehend.

Basically, they were looking to get a male Ghanima but got Paul and Leto instead. Also Teg later on to a certain extent.

Anyway, having a drink at the cinema before IMAX Dune (again) wooo!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Thanks friends.

I saw it in IMAX last night and had forgotten how much of Paul's prescience was conveyed via creepy whispers while he's having his visions. Those are really easy to miss if you're watching it at home without the volume cranked.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Rewatched Dune again, today on a proper IMAX screen for the first time since the first time I watched it, and going back to it from even the 4K Blu-ray or LieMAX it's amazing how much more detail is visible.

Also the Part 2 preview was in expanded IMAX as well - though looks like a mix of 1.90 and 1.43, so not entirely in 1.43 as I thought some reports had mentioned.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just two weeks to go.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I played the clip for my gf who knows nothing of Dune and now she's pretty excited. The version I've been seeing is almost exactly the same as the one already posted, except for the clips at the end. I have this cued to the one shot that's missing and it's loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12n5APZhf4U&t=394s

It's a man moon-jumping down from a harvester.

My guess is that it's the reunion of Gurney and Paul, which is one of the most emotional scenes from the book I'm dying to see on the big screen. I think instead of a Fremen ambush killing a few of Gurney's smugglers before Paul reveals himself, Gurney is jumping down to fight all of them solo. Not a MAJOR change but I guess they didn't want to show Fremen murdering his colleagues.

Which, ultra spoiler, weren't they all just Sardaukar agents pretending to be smugglers to find and assassinate the prophet?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scags McDouglas posted:

I played the clip for my gf who knows nothing of Dune and now she's pretty excited. The version I've been seeing is almost exactly the same as the one already posted, except for the clips at the end. I have this cued to the one shot that's missing and it's loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12n5APZhf4U&t=394s

It's a man moon-jumping down from a harvester.

My guess is that it's the reunion of Gurney and Paul, which is one of the most emotional scenes from the book I'm dying to see on the big screen. I think instead of a Fremen ambush killing a few of Gurney's smugglers before Paul reveals himself, Gurney is jumping down to fight all of them solo. Not a MAJOR change but I guess they didn't want to show Fremen murdering his colleagues.

Which, ultra spoiler, weren't they all just Sardaukar agents pretending to be smugglers to find and assassinate the prophet?

Naw there were a few of them, not the whole group

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Naw there were a few of them, not the whole group

Oh yeah you right dog.

While I'm in here being a nerd already, I have one fantasy scene that's lacking from the books- it's an unfinished plot. If you read the prequels and consider them canon, Gurney has a very, very, extreme justification for hating the Harkonnens and Glosu Rabban in particular.

In the books, Rabban's death isn't even described- Stilger just informs Paul. It's completely unceremonious.

I'd kill for a scene where Gurney personally gets his hands on Rabban for payback. I don't care in which chapter! Make it happen Dennis.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Scags McDouglas posted:

Oh yeah you right dog.

While I'm in here being a nerd already, I have one fantasy scene that's lacking from the books- it's an unfinished plot. If you read the prequels and consider them canon, Gurney has a very, very, extreme justification for hating the Harkonnens and Glosu Rabban in particular.

In the books, Rabban's death isn't even described- Stilger just informs Paul. It's completely unceremonious.

I'd kill for a scene where Gurney personally gets his hands on Rabban for payback. I don't care in which chapter! Make it happen Dennis.

i think we speculated about this earlier, there's a scene where Gurney confronts some Harks and I think that may be when the Beast gets got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA&t=79s

edit it was in the GBS dune thread i think.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 12, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i think we speculated about this earlier, there's a scene where Gurney confronts some Harks and I think that may be when the Beast gets got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA&t=79s

edit it was in the GBS dune thread i think.

Hell yeah, you might be right. Thank you sir.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scags McDouglas posted:

Oh yeah you right dog.

The structure of dune at the end is Extremely Weird

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Scags McDouglas posted:

Oh yeah you right dog.

You don't even need to care about the prequels, it's text in the first book that basically everyone in the Atreides entourage has been personally wronged by the Harkonnens. Gurney's supposed to have a big scar on his face from his time as a Harkonnen slave.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Just back as I went for a couple drinks after, slightly buzzed.

Here be my thoughts after watching it for the fourth time - IMAX, cinema, home, IMAX just earlier as said.

The sound. Right from the start, y'backsward throat singin' mad fucks, yeah. It rumbles and shifts everything and in a lot of places* does it with different sounds in different places in your body.

gently caress it is just good cinema utilizing everything it can to make the best of an experience. gently caress yeah Denis, gently caress Yeah!

Jessica's dress. I am shite at visual nuance and I realize that is odd given the givens but I am more about the character behaviour and things making sense. Anyway, for the first time I noticed Jessica's dress in the official (tm) handover sequence. It is the fashion version of a shield untroubled by the slow blade. Bloody good stuff.

Gods Ornithopters look and sound cool. Seriously, the rattle my body felt changed position with how their wings beat.

I mostly don't like Hans Zimmer soundtracks, they are usually THUMP WOOOOOMP STRIIIIIIINNNNNNGS. This'n works and it's two of the three. So, this and True Romance, I s'pose.

Did I mention Ornithopters, holy gently caress they rule.

Javier Bardem owns this movie. Joel Edgerton owns The King. It helps he wrote it but he owns that movie acting-wise, like he out acts every other person on screen together multiplied by 10. First thing I saw Timothée in and I thought he was the latest twink gently caress fantasy until that movie. Jesus he is good at Act Ing. Joel ruled the entire thing though and it has Sean Maher. Anyway my point is Javier stands tall like Joel but with less being the writer and screen time. He owns the poo poo out of Dunc the first.

I had it pointed out Jessica gets weird around Paul. She does, after the Harkonnen attack. Paul is the last of Leto, she touchy-sniffys while trying to deny what is going on.

Jessica out-performs Paul at all physical activities always no matter what it is and she is outright clowning on him across Arrakis except for flying and the Walken walk. Seriously, her outrunning him is unreal.

Dr M'Benga/Jamis can fight. He can move a motherfucker but his distractant blows are weirdly terrible, by which I mean enough of them are right but no power and then there's the other half which are wrong and no power. Paul is basai like a motherfucker, respect but no power or knowledge. He is rote but his instructor seems to be a terrifying death machine. (So, Gurney and Duncan)

I ended up staying for the Youtube clip but in IMAX because neither side of me in the row moved. Just at the end when the WB shield comes up but afore owt else some dude behind me to the left declared, into the silence, "My ears are sweaty" and we all laughed. I'd say over 2/3rds of the OG audience stayed.

Muad'Dib riding the sandworm is :black101: :rock: with the bigness and the sound and the YESFUCKYESTHISALWAYSYESIWANTIMAXATHOMESOICANBESICKOFWATCHINGTHISINIMAXWOOOOOOOO

Did I mention how much Gurney Halleck loving rules and the clips of him in 2 are just so metal as gently caress. Dude has clearly read the Encyclopaedia or, Iunno, DIane pissed him off again.

*The sound hits you in different places and rattles you specifically, generically and moves around and poo poo.

TL;DR I got to watch a movie again in the cinema that took full advantage of everything it can be and it ruled.

Duncan holding the door is still loving cut to ribbons and does not flow or make sense though. As the on-screen flagstone of the legend (karakul cap not mentioned), I feel My Boy Dunc be hard done by.

Also, obligatory dinner scene, even if just as a weird-rear end hidden short.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Monica Bellucci posted:

The sound. Right from the start, y'backsward throat singin' mad fucks, yeah. It rumbles and shifts everything and in a lot of places* does it with different sounds in different places in your body.
-
Jessica out-performs Paul at all physical activities always no matter what it is and she is outright clowning on him across Arrakis except for flying and the Walken walk. Seriously, her outrunning him is unreal.

it's a real rib-rattler. i bet #2 is gonna be even meaner. you might need to see a dentist because the bass loosened all your teeth.

i think they're going to give Jess more opportunities in 2 to show that the BG sisters aren't just creepy Voice witches, they're also ninja assassins. one uh problematic character's role is gonna get folded into Jessica is my guess. she's gonna get stabby with it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Dune Part 2 tickets finally went on sale in the UK, dead on midnight with no advance warning. The BFI put a queuing system up for the IMAX tickets but I managed to get a good seat for the IMAX 15/70 midnight screening baby! Plus another ticket for the following Friday afternoon while I'm down in London. Plus a ticket for the Manchester 1.43 IMAX as I'm up there on the Saturday.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

uber_stoat posted:

i think they're going to give Jess more opportunities in 2 to show that the BG sisters aren't just creepy Voice witches, they're also ninja assassins. one uh problematic character's role is gonna get folded into Jessica is my guess. she's gonna get stabby with it.

...???... Harah? I hope not that bit is absolutely loving hilarious and underlines Paul trying to stop everything when he can't even that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Carpet posted:

Dune Part 2 tickets finally went on sale in the UK, dead on midnight with no advance warning.

Drove me nuts too in the US, there is no direction at all for when tickets go on sale. I had a link to my IMAX theater refreshing several times a day for weeks so I could snag the best seats. All that work and I got 11 tickets for all my friends on the.... second best row! Mother FUCKERS :argh: