Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

GunnerJ posted:

That was my first thought too tbh, probably some side quest anti-gay stuff going on.

Oh 100% I just think he doesn't actually identify as homophobic despite being wildly so, the cognitive dissonance has to be really deep there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

I went to look, went "is this homophobic? He doesn't usually draw hot guys doing drugs and stuff" and then I went back further and it's 100% about immigration, he has Grima Wormtongue (who I think is supposed to be a specific American political figure but I cannot tell) convincing God to open the border and has demons streaming over into heaven saying they're going to conquer it.

I remember seeing an anti-immigrant comic of his on twitter a while back which had a blonde white liberal woman welcoming the predator, the xenomorph, and Vegeta across the southern border. Which besides everything else is hilarious because iirc Vegeta saved the earth twice, it's like how liberal immigration comics will use Superman as the idealized immigrant, but by accident because the guy has a mean face.

If you look few weeks back he's depicting Elon Musk as a Superman fighting for free speech but he's controlled by the JEWS (because he is hit by a magic ray that turns him into a Rabbi). Do not try to comprehend Sinfest. That way madness lies

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If you look few weeks back he's depicting Elon Musk as a Superman fighting for free speech but he's controlled by the JEWS (because he is hit by a magic ray that turns him into a Rabbi). Do not try to comprehend Sinfest. That way madness lies

Oh right, because of Jewish Space Lasers.

This is the political cartoon cinematic universe, driven by an absolutely deranged bigot. Incredible.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh 100% I just think he doesn't actually identify as homophobic despite being wildly so, the cognitive dissonance has to be really deep there.

A lot of people on various sides of the political aisle identify as not homophobic, and in fact wildly enthusiastic and supportive of the gays, as long as you're not one of Those Types. The type that does literally anything except stand near each other with smiles and turtleneck sweaters while conventionally attractive (but not in a way that's too threatening to cishetero men) and white. MAYBE hold hands in public and MAYBE share a single chaste kiss for special occasions, just not in front of the children. Separate beds, too. Anything else (e.g. living your life in a way that isn't obsessively cloaking every shred of evidence that you exist or, god forbid, CELEBRATING it) is just being a god-hating sodomite spreading the seeds of liberal corruption.

Kind of like my family's old church being fine with The Gays as long as they didn't consummate their relationship because that's sinful under God, don'cha know! They could love each other, because it's not like you can change who you love, #bornthisway, just be deeply ashamed of your God-given flaw and definitely, definitely don't gently caress.

Yes we eat shellfish why do you ask.

You'll see something similar with how a lot of TERFs and adjacent claim to be okay with Real Transsexuals, which in their opinion are extremely few in number and must do a shitton of medical gymnastics, and they still need to ultimately consider themselves Biologically Fe/Male and not associate with Real Fe/males and immediately disclose their genital situation to everyone they meet in order to not be a deceitful predator. One of the good ones etc.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

i uh

that's

that's kind of incredible, in a ben garrison brain rot kind of way

now i want to go read sinfest

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I, too, sometimes find myself thinking, "I need to find something that will piss me off and read all of it" I'm talking about Gunnerkrigg Court 😈

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Tiny Myers posted:

A lot of people on various sides of the political aisle identify as not homophobic, and in fact wildly enthusiastic and supportive of the gays, as long as you're not one of Those Types.

this is true of most flavors of bigotry. i have vivid memories of high school racists making comments like "oh well i don't have a problem with black people, it's [gamer word]s i have a problem with. it's a mentality, you know? not every black person is a [gamer word], but every [gamer word] deserves to be [unhinged racist violence etc]"

and yeah terfs do it as well, as you mentioned

it's the exact kind of bigot mentality that intentionally fosters "pick me" behaviors in oppressed groups, in order to help silence any kind of resistance

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zoya posted:

i uh

that's

that's kind of incredible, in a ben garrison brain rot kind of way

now i want to go read sinfest

Like, seriously, no joking, don't. It's incoherent and disjointed and you'll just end up being frustrated and baffled rather than amused. You really only need to read like half a dozen strips and you pretty much get it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Join the political cartoons thread in D&D if you wanna read Sinfest, at least you'll be around other people who understands how unbearably poo poo it is.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

FlocksOfMice posted:

Is this the person who did the story about how social media will take over our lives and they'll outlaw the bible and all good christians will have to escape to the woods where they'll live off the bible until the rapture happens and also everyone is a beapot rabbit.

I don't know which comic on their website is this one, but I ended up skimming over their witness comic about why they converted. "I became Christian because I couldn't cope with the idea of the heat death of the universe" was not the angle I was expecting.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Lovely People is the one about social credit, it's a massive waste of perfectly good art.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Riot Bus posted:

I don't know which comic on their website is this one, but I ended up skimming over their witness comic about why they converted. "I became Christian because I couldn't cope with the idea of the heat death of the universe" was not the angle I was expecting.

Wait what lol?? Please link this, I have not seen this one.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://www.hummingfluff.com/testimonycomic/

it's a wild read but it's also very easy to see how she ended up how she did. like, the sort of of person who thinks of themselves as progressive but thinks about things in the way she did (at least in her telling of her past views) is exactly the sort of person who's going to have a weird spiral and get into conspiracy theories and reconvert to christianity even if i wouldn't have necessarily expected that to all be triggered by obsessing over the heat death of the universe

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The very charming small church group Suomen evankelisluterilainen lähetyshiippakunta :(

e; honestly tho it’s kinda sad the entire thing seems like it could have been avoided if she’d joined a single healthy group irl and gotten some therapy for her anxiety versus going down the conspiracy youtube pipeline

And man, her art is still so nice

coolusername fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 11, 2024

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

lih posted:

it's a wild read but it's also very easy to see how she ended up how she did. like, the sort of of person who thinks of themselves as progressive but thinks about things in the way she did (at least in her telling of her past views) is exactly the sort of person who's going to have a weird spiral and get into conspiracy theories and reconvert to christianity even if i wouldn't have necessarily expected that to all be triggered by obsessing over the heat death of the universe

Wow that's depressing. Falling prey to the base human terror of death applied to the universe as a macrocosm of fear of the self's death. If everything ends EVENTUALLY then there's no point in anything ever, right? My dude that's just like. That's basic depression you just needed help with depression :c

And also that classic "without God, there can be no morality!" For a comic about how someone spent so much time reflecting and thinking about this, they sure did come to like... the most unexamined conclusions about morality and life, ouch. Oops, I decided to identify myself as evil and then I got repulsed by that idea and labeled that repulsion God because I was brought up Christian. How can you make such a long comic about self-reflection and not self reflect on the trap you set for yourself! It's an obvious trap! You just weren't actually evil and you just burnt yourself out indulging in unmoderated dark thoughts too often! That wasn't God you just wanted to stop thinking about torture scenes in your head.

Not that there's anything wrong with rediscovering God! I was also brought up Catholic until I questioned it once and realized it could be fake, and then I went full athiest (but I wasn't evil atheist because like you know morality structures are fairly simple things and not hard to actually find reasonable grounds for their existence even without a God to mandate universal morality) and then I got delirious one night and wandered into the woods and when I came back I was basically experiencing a non-demoninational version of what Angela de Foligno started experiencing but that might also be the mental illnesses, but they're fun ones so I hope she gets to have some of that or something.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

FlocksOfMice posted:

If everything ends EVENTUALLY then there's no point in anything ever, right? My dude that's just like. That's basic depression you just needed help with depression :c

Burning myself here, but, uhhhh poo poo, really?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

lih posted:

I kind of went through a similar process: raised Christian, questioned a lot of things, didn't like the answers, became an atheist, descended into misanthropic nihilism due to a combination of severe depression and almost universal rejection by my peers. Humans were fundamentally evil and stupid, there is no objective meaning to life so nothing matters, etc., etc. After a long period of therapy, positive interactions with people, and reading authors like Marx, Fanon, and others, I realized the problem wasn't human nature, but the systems in place designed to exploit the underclasses.

Seems like she really needed an intervention and I get the feeling she never explored therapy due to her upbringing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I haven't read that comic yet, but from what you're saying, I get what she's getting at. Sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep at night I start thinking about the nature of the universe, and that makes me consider everything will eventually all collapse into nothing and then restart, and THAT makes me think about what even caused ANY sort of material reality to exist in the first place. It feels like there's an insurmountable hole in human understanding, or maybe a wall barring understanding, that we can't get past right there. And it's scary - it actually does send a shock of existential dread through me each time I think about it.

And I think, right there, is where a lot of people insert God and religion - to "cover up" that hole with an explanation. Of course, me being me, I feel like that just puts more layers on the same question instead of answering anything ("what created the universe" becomes "what created god before he created the universe"), but I can see how that's comforting to many people. And I could see how someone struggling with mental issues would want that comfort instead of abusing themselves intellectually by ramming their head against that existential dread over and over. I don't AGREE with it, but I can understand the compulsion. I don't think (all) very religious people are stupid or anything, but I feel like a lot of them could do with some professional therapy.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 11, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Strangely, Jordan Peterson also radicalized himself by thinking about evil poo poo constantly for a long time for no reason, ultimately convincing himself in an external force (in this case, tradition, since he's still technically an atheist) was necessary to prevent him from being evil.

Having never done anything more evil than think bad thoughts until he was really deeply unhappy before that, he went on to be wildly cruel and transphobic to his students and an active right-wing activist making the world worse in a variety of ways.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

isasphere posted:

Burning myself here, but, uhhhh poo poo, really?

If you are trapped in a nihilism hole and think that because on a cosmic scale everything will end means that on a local scale nothing matters, you have fallen prey to a depression, yes! You are a mortal being and live on a specific scale. Thinking that because your actions do not last into eternity means that they are meaningless is a basic trap! No effort you can create will last forever. No heart you touch will not someday be dirt. The universe may very well shed its heat into a final tranquility.

Is that not beautiful? You are granted but a tiny dot of existence, limited in time and space both to something almost meaninglessly small, and yet do you not feel? Do the creatures around you not feel? Pet a dog and it will feel joy! Someday the dog will die, but the moment you pet the dog happened. Does it not matter because on a scale you cannot experience it will be a long-faded event? Empty arrogance! You judge on a scale you cannot experience! Yours is not the eons of planets! You have but a short time, you and a billion other small moments of life. Is that not beautiful? Craft joy and wonder in its fragility, and when it collapses, craft it again. It is not for the preservation of the future. You are not a being of an infinite timescale. You are a being of fragile moments. Why should anyone reject it? You were made for ephemeral moments, as was everything else around you.

Should a flower look up at a tree and lament it cannot grow so big and eternal? But don't the bees humm in delight at its blooming? Would spring be without the flower fields?

The universe itself will someday die! Even this reality is mortal! What a beautiful commonality you share with the entirety of existence! You will die. The universe will die. You are a collection of a billion cells, and the universe is a collection of a billion galaxies. Where is the loneliness in a universe made of you, that seeks to bend itself towards self-love?

Also like you can try medication and/or therapy if blissful unity with the godhead doesn't work for you.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Strangely, Jordan Peterson also radicalized himself by thinking about evil poo poo constantly for a long time for no reason, ultimately convincing himself in an external force (in this case, tradition, since he's still technically an atheist) was necessary to prevent him from being evil.

Having never done anything more evil than think bad thoughts until he was really deeply unhappy before that, he went on to be wildly cruel and transphobic to his students and an active right-wing activist making the world worse in a variety of ways.

In college I had to take a PoliSci course during the winter to fill in extra credits, and the "professor" was an outspoken Catholic who came in and told us since communists are constantly filling their classes with propaganda he saw no problem to not do the same. In his class, we learned that the problem with John Locke's philosophy was without a higher power mankind inevitably becomes evil, because how can you be good without God standing behind you and constantly telling you to not be evil? Everyone inherently wants to hurt other people and take advantage of them, right?

And I passed that class because I'm very good at bullshitting but what I actually learned is that some people are supremely lazy about ethics and philosophy and general structures of ontology and never really got older than 12 years old mentally and really need a parent standing behind them at all times and that's pretty sad!

He also suggested that the middle ages were great because everyone listened to the pope so everyone was good and kind to one another because Ultimate Daddy On Earth had final say, and when I tried to contradict him and bring up stuff like the three antipopes and how many times people got politically excommunicated and stuff he would shut me down and tell me he had a Masters degree and did a thesis on a bridge (it was very important he mention that part!). Now I also have a Masters degree, and did a thesis on mystically raptuous unity with the godhead in the context of medieval female mystics, and I think I'm a bit more qualified to talk about the medieval period than he was (he did a thesis on a bridge they built a few decades ago) and I hope he's doing okay and is able to function someday without an imaginary daddy standing behind him!

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 11, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is gonna sound real dumb and pretty personal, but the first time I did MDMA (very recently, as someone in my late 30s) actually did a lot to combat feelings of existential dread surrounding the meaninglessness of life and such. It made me realize the capacity I had for happiness and how much it could fulfill me, and how much those closest to me really mattered and intensified my happiness. So gently caress some greater meaning - I'm gonna focus on doing everything I can to chase that feeling by living a life that fulfills me, even if it's just little things day to day. And I don't care if it's just a chemical firing off in my brain - those feelings are real to me and matter.

Obviously getting that from a drug is NOT a good idea for someone with addiction issues, or for someone on SSRIs (which make MDMA not work), but it's something that really reframed my perceptions about this subject.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Every time anyone brings up MDMA I can't help but think about this tweet again
https://twitter.com/hilaryagro/status/1229177598003077123?s=20

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol, but also kinda true.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

don't understand how the idea that our lives are a brief flash in an incomprehensively vast and timeless void isn't a comforting thought. how terrifying it would be to draw the attention of something vast, powerful and vindictive, something that can and will torture you for eternity for any disobedience.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

how terrifying it would be to draw the attention of something vast, powerful and vindictive, something that can and will torture you for eternity for any disobedience.

"it won't happen to me, I'll have eternal paradise, the torture will only happen to the people I don't like"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

don't understand how the idea that our lives are a brief flash in an incomprehensively vast and timeless void isn't a comforting thought. how terrifying it would be to draw the attention of something vast, powerful and vindictive, something that can and will torture you for eternity for any disobedience.

Some people pay good money for that kind of experience.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I mean I too have softened on a hard Atheist stance but more in the sense that I can see the value religion plays in people's lives and culture and don't want to be all fedora tipping "well actually" about things that don't concern me. As with all things, the good comes from other people, community and solidarity.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok so I actually forced myself to read "A Meandering Line" and it was just as frustrating as I expected. I won't go into a some huge point by point breakdown as I'm sure this thread will get back to Gunnerkrigg soon, but suffice it to say, yeah, she REALLY needs therapy. The whole thing felt like 3/4 of a story that should end with that. Her logic for converting (and her actual BELIEFS!) is REALLY glossed over. She makes a way better case for atheism and loving NHILISM than she makes for Christianity, but never finds anything to refute those, she just discards them because they made her sad. She's just flailing around desperate to find something that makes her happy.

Ugh. It was frustrating to see her be SO perceptive but SO self-deluded at the same time. I just kept mentally yelling, GO TO THERAPY.

Edit: And now I read "Lovely People" and what the gently caress

what the gently caress

Edit edit: and I just read up to the current page of Journey Upstream. I do not like it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 12, 2024

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I need to keep reminding myself that; Yes, you can make good art and media on a consistent basis without being a terrible person or just plain hosed.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok so I actually forced myself to read "A Meandering Line" and it was just as frustrating as I expected. I won't go into a some huge point by point breakdown as I'm sure this thread will get back to Gunnerkrigg soon, but suffice it to say, yeah, she REALLY needs therapy. The whole thing felt like 3/4 of a story that should end with that. Her logic for converting (and her actual BELIEFS!) is REALLY glossed over. She makes a way better case for atheism and loving NHILISM than she makes for Christianity, but never finds anything to refute those, she just discards them because they made her sad. She's just flailing around desperate to find something that makes her happy.

Ugh. It was frustrating to see her be SO perceptive but SO self-deluded at the same time. I just kept mentally yelling, GO TO THERAPY.

Yeah, her reasoning for everything regarding morality just made me feel contempt above all else because I have no respect for people who can't figure out how to not be evil without God telling them to stop. I was raised Christian and when I gave that up, I never once considered that an absence of God would be a good excuse to decide that suffering is entertaining, actually.

But yeah she probably has brain problems that need attending to, and I suppose bullying herself into believing in God again is one way to bandage the cracks. Personally, believing in God only ever made my mental health worse, because the idea of random people I liked going to hell for not being religious hurt my brain more than the inevitable end of all things ever could. Oblivion is far better than an eternity of meaningless torture for innocent people, if you ask me.

Like, maybe she's one of the Christians that don't believe in eternal torture hell, idk. I guess I could at least fathom that being comforting.

EDIT: Just read "Lovely People" too and wow the victim complex is real.

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 12, 2024

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pretty art

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I miss the days when I saw anything to do with the creepy insect robot god art and expected something dramatic and impactful

But now I’m just waiting for the page where she goes “aw jeez he’s dead” over a pile of corpses and then we go back to Lana, because of course the black haired woman is Lana. Zimmy is old news.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Man, i hate it when people use bones in their machines. You know those things degrade with time, and they're such a pain to repair. You need to dismantle half the machine to get out one femur, it takes at least half a day, and then you have to hope that someone on staff has the same size bone, otherwise you could spend a week hitting up morgues looking for the right part before having to resort to getting the part yourself.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

lih posted:

:dogstare:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So I take it they really aren’t in the distortion anymore? What with shadow showing up like this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

So I take it they really aren’t in the distortion anymore? What with shadow showing up like this.

feels like shadow showing up is a distraction tactic

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

feels like shadow showing up is a distraction tactic

For Annie or for us?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Why would Shadow being there mean they aren't in the distortion anymore? Honest question, if it's something they've said or shown in the past, I'm drawing a blank on.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

PubicMice posted:

For Annie or for us?

for Annie, how convenient that something requires her urgent attention just as she corners whoever this is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

it's a nice looking page