Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

can anyone who's played both voodoo prince and marshmallow test (which is a reimplementation of voodoo prince) speak as to how the differences affect gameplay?

pwinckles on BGG posted:

The rules are up: https://gamewright.com/pdfs/Rules/MarshmallowTest-Rules.pdf

There are a number of differences from Voodoo Prince:

1. The deck is 1-12 in 5 suits
2. Hand size is always 12
3. There are no special abilities
4. In the 5-player game, there can be multiple players who don't score because they failed to take 3 tricks by the end of the 12th trick.
5. Game is 20 points

Personally, I never thought that the cards that split tricks were that interesting and they usually just burnt players who forgot about them, so I won't miss them. On the other hand, I think it's a mistake to remove the ability for the lowest card in a suit to beat the highest card. I'm certainly still going to play with that rule.

I'm curious to try the 5-player game with fewer cards. I'm not convinced the reduced deck is an improvement, but it's hard to say without trying it.

Overall, the changes seem to be an attempt to simplify the already simple rules of the original game.

I own voodoo prince but I haven't been bringing it out recently in favour of scout/cat in the box. it seems as if marshmallow test is between printings currently but if it plays differently enough to voodoo prince I might pick it up if I see it around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Azran posted:

Half the rulebook is dedicated to their minibios and a gallery of their art so yeah they're real. I was surprised that most are Brazilian IIRC that said, I wish I had the classic art from the Korean edition as an alternative deck.

The korean art isn't that amazing - because it's tradition with a more limited array of strong pigments, its much harder to identify across the table which artists have what out. The radically different styles with very bright colour palettes work well for the game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The korean art isn't that amazing - because it's tradition with a more limited array of strong pigments, its much harder to identify across the table which artists have what out. The radically different styles with very bright colour palettes work well for the game.

I thought the Korean Edition was the one that included both a Korean art deck and the classical (as in, Monalisa) deck? I might be thinking of another edition. But yeah the CMON edition is very pretty and I'm very happy with it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Didn't the Korean one also come with a gavel??? Why are we ignoring the greatest part about it??

I've got two versions, one is this tiny box one with really ugly art and questionable overall components. And then I got the CMON one from a bit ago that has nicer art and... tarot sized cards? I can't remember, it's been a lonnnng time.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 2, 2024

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Dice Tree (the Korean publisher) did bundle the game with two decks- one traditional Korean artworks, and the other western art of the style called "modern art" - manet and Van Gough. Neither of which are really great choices for the theme imo. And yes, a big wooden gavel.
My favourite edition is Oink, which comes with a small punchboard gavel, and a really nice selection of contemporary artists and Mondrian for some reason. I've got the Mayfair edition which has crude photoshop parodies of Lichtenstein and Geiger, and no gavel.
E: I forgotten about the wooden easles to prop up the audition pieces up on. Oink has one of those.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I added a $2 tiny wooden easel to my CMON copy and it came with a wood gavel. It’s the best edition functionally and aesthetically IMO.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Wow my Target has Gloomhaven (edit- JOTL) for $15.29 and Horizons of Spirit Island for 8.99. That’s gotta be a record low, right?

PopZeus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 2, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

As in big box Gloomhaven? Or Jaws of the Lion.

Cause $15 for the big box is a steal

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 2, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
15 for jaws is a steal

15 for big box is a bank heist

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Ok it was sold out already so I’m not sure - the sale tag said 70 percent off, so that puts it in Jaws of the Lion full price range more so than big box Gloomhaven.

Edit: Kabuto Sumo was 50 percent off, handful of other non notables 50 to 70 percent too.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Taylor of Taylor's Trick Taking Table rates Voodoo Prince over Marshmellow Test fyi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgQ-VauCpMQ

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have the KR modern art and like both decks but the traditional art can be harder to suss who the artist is.

I've wanted to get the stamps version of modern art at some point, but last I looked it was $500+. I'd easily value it as such (heh, given the theme), just gotta save up for a while.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Swapping out the wooden mallet for a cardboard one is an unforgivable crime.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Swapping out the wooden mallet for a cardboard one is an unforgivable crime.

It’s still a wooden mallet, just less dense

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

panko posted:

can anyone who's played both voodoo prince and marshmallow test (which is a reimplementation of voodoo prince) speak as to how the differences affect gameplay?

I own voodoo prince but I haven't been bringing it out recently in favour of scout/cat in the box. it seems as if marshmallow test is between printings currently but if it plays differently enough to voodoo prince I might pick it up if I see it around

I would like to ask a similar question: why 5 suits? Is it just to enable 5-players with 12 cards each?

What would be different if you played with a regular deck or the deck from battle line (6 suits 1-10)?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Wyrmspan is great. Played it for the first time today and it's just as cozy and familiar as wingspan, but the dragon related mechanics are really cool. I love the resources and how they work in wyrmspan too. Enjoying feels so much more predictable as to what you get and how your engine works.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

Wyrmspan is great. Played it for the first time today and it's just as cozy and familiar as wingspan, but the dragon related mechanics are really cool. I love the resources and how they work in wyrmspan too. Enjoying feels so much more predictable as to what you get and how your engine works.

Yeah I preordered it just earlier today. Looks good!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frozen Peach posted:

How does the endgame play out? That's always been the worst part of Wingspan.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Jedit posted:

How does the endgame play out? That's always been the worst part of Wingspan.

Completely upgraded in that regard. The actions are:

Excavate a cave for a dragon to live in
Entice a dragon to live in a cave
Explore the cave

Explore gives different resources depending on the caves and dragons in it. You no longer just spam eggs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I played https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/332386/brew

I got it for xmas and it was pretty good! Me and my friend liked it and thought it was intuitive

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Just got done with a game of Maria, my second game ever and the first one after something like 10 years. I have only vague memories of that first game, the only reason I remember it only lasted until the 2nd year is because I still have the scoresheets. I was expecting this one to go similarly since everyone in the group was new to the game, but it ended up almost going the distance, finishing in the 11th round with an Austrian victory. An early French/Bavarian mistake neutered their armies there and lost them their supply trains, which allowed Austria to take Bavaria, and later a Prussian misstep resulted in the encirclement and destruction of an army that allowed Saxony to be flipped to Austrian allied during the next politics phase. The French scrambled to get Bavaria back, but Saxony stretched Prussia thin and Austria managed to secure their last remaining VP by retaking a fort in Silesia.

Going into the game I was still skeptical about the balance but it really does work out exceptionally well. It's definitely a fragile design, but my group turned out to be a great fit for the negotiation parts. The only part that I don't like is the playtime. Five hours went by without us noticing it, but it was a pretty hefty time investment.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

kalthir posted:

Just got done with a game of Maria, my second game ever and the first one after something like 10 years. I have only vague memories of that first game, the only reason I remember it only lasted until the 2nd year is because I still have the scoresheets. I was expecting this one to go similarly since everyone in the group was new to the game, but it ended up almost going the distance, finishing in the 11th round with an Austrian victory. An early French/Bavarian mistake neutered their armies there and lost them their supply trains, which allowed Austria to take Bavaria, and later a Prussian misstep resulted in the encirclement and destruction of an army that allowed Saxony to be flipped to Austrian allied during the next politics phase. The French scrambled to get Bavaria back, but Saxony stretched Prussia thin and Austria managed to secure their last remaining VP by retaking a fort in Silesia.

Going into the game I was still skeptical about the balance but it really does work out exceptionally well. It's definitely a fragile design, but my group turned out to be a great fit for the negotiation parts. The only part that I don't like is the playtime. Five hours went by without us noticing it, but it was a pretty hefty time investment.

I've had this sitting on my shelf for about 6 years and the closest I've gotten to putting it on then table it is lending it to a friend to play. One day...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Went to a big ol' board game thing over the weekend, a yearly event some friends do (though haven't in the last few years). Had homemade lunch and dinner, some coffee and booze, it was a great time.

Started with a game of Menara, which was a real good idea to get a play in before the booze came out and also caffeine kicked in too hard. We ended up collapsing the tower at the end, but enough floors stayed standing that we won (though I'm not fond of that condition, I think I'd like to tweak it in some way).

Soon after came out Paint the Roses, which I always try to introduce to people when possible. By the end of the game we were one failed guess away from the queen zooming eight spaces through the board and taking our heads off. I really want to break out the expansion for this one, I want to get all those restrictions and extra win conditions out to see how that affects the strategies.

Then, Cascadia, one I had picked up recently. Not too much to say about this one, it was a chill game enjoyed by everyone, actually caught a couple people's eyes since they'd hiked through that region a few years ago and love it.

Scout came out, it's so good. At one point I had a perfect hand waiting for just a couple turns to slam down big five-card sets but of course right before that someone finished their hand and I was out a lot of points.

We finished with Feed the Kraken, which I think I had heard of at some point but never played - a social deduction game with similarities to Secret Hitler but with more mechanics and actual thought put into it. Mind you we played with 11 people so there's only so much thought you can put into figuring out who people are before you say "eh gently caress it" and just have fun having mutinies.

I almost feel bad - a lot of people brought their own games, but I feel like for the most part the majority of games played were my own. Which I don't mind, I'm always looking for a chance to play my games, but with the same though I'd be a little unhappy if I never got to play any of them after lugging them to a big event.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
COIN-lite!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/334363/vijayanagara-deccan-empires-medieval-india-1290-13

quote:

Vijayanagara: The Deccan Empires of Medieval India, 1290-1398 depicts the epic, century-long rise and fall of medieval kingdoms in India over two dynastic periods, for 1-3 players.

Vijayanagara is the first game in the new Irregular Conflict Series (ICS). With gameplay inspired by GMT’s COIN system, players will take on the asymmetric roles of the Delhi Sultanate, the Bahmani Kingdom, and the Vijayanagara Empire, navigating event cards and unique action menus as they contest to write themselves into medieval Indian history. Players will rally local amirs and rajas to their cause, construct epic temples, forts, and qasbahs, and battle for supremacy over the Deccan Plateau.

Highlights
1. A sweeping, century-long narrative and numerous epic events.
2. Playtime ~90 minutes.
3. Three asymmetric Factions with different strengths and abilities.
4. A fourth non-player Faction (Mongols) operated by the Bahmani and Vijayanagara players.
5. A new battle-resolution system with strength-dependent risk mitigation.

Vijayanagara is intended for players new to asymmetric wargames and veteran COIN players alike. The factions have distinct capabilities and each is faced with different strategic decisions, offering a very high degree of replayability. The game is streamlined: all player actions and most rules are visible on the table on player aids and cards.

Gameplay and turn order is organized around a deck of unique event cards. With each new card, factions have the option to carry out the event or to select from faction-specific Commands and special Decrees; Commands such as the Conscription of new troops, Governing in Tributary Provinces, and Migration to begin life anew, and Decrees ranging from Demanding Tribute, Conspiring with Delhi’s Governors to betray the Sultan, and forming new Alliances with minor regional powers.

Irregular Conflict Series is a hilarious genre but I'm here for it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played Weimar: the Fight for Democracy last night.

The game ended in Round 2 (of 6) due to Anarchy. Although we weren't intending on playing past two rounds anyway, from what BGG forums indicate the game ending before round 5, either from Anarchy or a KPD/DNVP takeover is much, much more common than the game ending naturally after six rounds.

I found it engaging, interesting, and fun but I don't know how it would hold up through multiple plays. It seems like the factions have a fairly rigid path to victory, the game favors the opposition parties except for what I'd consider a degenerate strategy for SPD where you build a glut of VP points then intentionally send the republic into Anarchy. In our game SPD won after Anarchy, which I triggered as KPD misunderstanding that it would end the game immediately rather than after one more round of VP collecting. Still placed second.

I think with a few balancing/rules tweaks it could be a really fun, solid game. It still is a fun game, and thematically it's a real winner, but only if you're not particularly concerned with winning or with who wins.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I finally played Divinity: Original Sin last night.

I backed this game in late 2019 and it arrived December 2023 after multiple delays and a complete change of design and staff and it barely resembles the original concept. But, you know what? It is actually pretty fun, at least it is if you've played the video games.

The game uses a bigass book, with each double-spread representing a location, which has a corresponding deck of cards for each of the sub-locations within. Each round is either Exploration/Rest or combat. If you explore, you can move to any location on the current pages and then resolve the corresponding card. If you rest, you can heal, trade, change your equipment etc. Combat only happens if a round starts with enemies present, and is mandatory - you can't opt to explore/rest if there is at least one enemy alive.

The location cards generally either spawn enemies or present a challenge which you resolve by rolling dice and using modifiers depending on who is rolling. Combat is the meatiest part of the game so far, and it mimics the videogames pretty well in that you have a lot of ability synergy by changing the state of an environment (wet, charged, warm or oily) and casting spells or using abilities that get buffed if an environment has that state on it. Each sub-location in the double page spread has a slot for an environment state token, so there's only one at a time. Area attacks also hit your friends that are in that sublocation so making sure you do your turns in the right order is really important.

Abilities all have cooldowns, which means there are a certain amount of rounds before you can use them again. This is the fiddliest part of the game because you have to remember to shuffle cards down a track for all the players and all the enemies (which can be up to 6 at a time) whenever they activate. It's 100% faithful to the videogame in terms of the mechanics here, but it's not great to keep track of up to 10 cooldown tracks that can have multiple different things on them at once. Having played the video game all of this made complete sense to me and one other person I played with, but it was confusing for the others.

The decision making feels quite impactful. You have a limited number of turns to explore any given location and you have to make decisions along the way that will sometimes permanently change your playthrough, at least in the short term as far as I can tell thus far. This is a loving huge game.

The whole group enjoyed what we have experienced so far, including me, which surprised me because I expected this to be an absolute trainwreck and I hadn't tried to get a refund on my pledge out of morbid curiosity.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well that's a pleasant surprise!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Bus is getting reprinted according to some BGG user who is quoting the Capstone Newsletter.

Bus is the Splotter that I most want to try, partially because it's comparatively simpler than their others, partially because it's one of their earliest, partially because it's mad as balls. I wonder if it will look the same as the previous Capstone version of if it will be some Anniversary edition.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Bus is great! Puerto Rico came out in 2002, Agricola in 2007 and these were the top games on BGG for a good long while. Bus really feels like a modern refinement of those low-interaction worker placement Euros. It would not be out of place if it was published today. But it actually came out in 1999 and is something like the second worker placement / acton selection game ever made. Way ahead of its time. Also, the humdrum theme of "build your bus lines to bring people to work in the morning" combined with "nope, somebody activated the TIME CRYSTAL and it is still nighttime" never stops being funny.

I will say that while Bus is always really fun and great to introduce new people to, it doesn't quite have the staying power or depth of something like The Great Zimbabwe. As you say, a simpler design.

Thank you for posting the news, I don't have my own copy and definitely want one.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm still a big fan of Bus, I have an old copy which has various boardgame references of the time plastered all over the board which is neat. And yea, I believe it and Keydom are generally considered the pioneers of worker placement. What's crazy is that in 1999, Splotter also released Roads & Boats and Winsome released Union vs Central, both monster resource logistics game. It was quite a year for boardgaming.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

COIN-lite!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/334363/vijayanagara-deccan-empires-medieval-india-1290-13

Irregular Conflict Series is a hilarious genre but I'm here for it.

I just got my copy this week! Very excited to try it out.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Many, many years late to the party I picked up Dungeon Petz. How's the base game compare to the experience with the expansion? What are the common rules pitfalls to mind on first learning and teaching?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bus is outstanding, one of the best games I've played.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SuperKlaus posted:

Many, many years late to the party I picked up Dungeon Petz. How's the base game compare to the experience with the expansion? What are the common rules pitfalls to mind on first learning and teaching?

It is absolutely critical that you explain all the rules with the thematic justifications from the rulebook. "You can send imps out to shop without any gold; imps are very good shoppers. You cannot send gold without imps, look at it, it doesn't have legs." "It takes at least two imps to get a cage. Cages are heavy". "An unclaimed pet after two years is sent to the farm to run and play, and a meat is added to the stall. There is no thematic reason for this rule."

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The expansion is more chaos and in no way required. It's modular so you can just chuck the new Petz or artifacts in without the expanded action board. I would get a few plays under your belt before grabbing it.

Common pitfalls not understanding how needs, aging and scoring work together. Not holding back an imp to deal with an anger or play. Only being able to remove pet poo from an empty cage. Understanding how the sickness need works with the poo threshold.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played Grand Austria Hotel for the first time last week. It's a really fun game I think, I missed it when I came out because of the pandemic but glad we went back to it.

It's kinda dice/action drafting to build and maintain a hotel,serving guests food and getting them rooms. Resources are scarce there are always multiple things you need to do. The gimmick is the dice all get rolled and grouped by value. Each value does a thing, 1s make strudle, 2 makes coffee etc. When you pick a group you get X of that thing where X is the number of dice in that group. You then remove a dice from the group. So someone else can take the same action as you but it's worse.

Then there are staff which usually affect the dice rolls/selection in some way or score you points.

Theres little direct competition, more stepping on toes. But it plays out quickly and it's fairly entertaining. Probably the dictionary definition of a MWE, if you like that kind of thing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Regarding Dungeon Petz, Id also emphasise to your players that you're not playing a tableau/engine building game - there's not much acceleration in score, so just because one person got a huge bunch of points this turn does not mean you can't get that same score or more next turn.

Might help with potential frustrations when they see someone leap ahead on the scoreboard

sure wish someone had explained this to me when I first learned it...

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Or, inversely, you mean the fact that somebody scored big VP this turn has no bearing necessarily on whether they continue to score big VP?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
In my general experience everyone will have 1 big scoring round, especially with the way the platform works, and it doesn’t necessarily matter which round it’s in. Someone who takes a big early lead might not get a good chance to go for another one and will have to ride out smaller gains while getting shut out early just means you have a chance to build for your later big turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just played my favorite MWE yesterday, Concordia, and as there was a new player at the Meetup I handled most of the teach with another skilled player filling in some holes. (It was a little disjointed as we thought we'd have six, so we set up in advance for teams, but we only had five, so we were trying to reset to standard during the teach.) Still played on Cyprus so we didn't have to tear down and reset the map, so it was a little less knife-fighty than, say, Imperium would be.

Such a great game yet so easy to teach for its depth. 90% is right there on the cards.

One of these days, I'll learn to buy enough personality cards. Still came in only about eight points behind the leader thanks in large part due to getting my fifteenth house out, as well as the Weaver card and houses in all four cloth cities.