Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Sydin posted:

I very much enjoy that hermit [...] does nothing but complain about how work sucks and type in leetspeak.

God I wish I didn't have to play as a high schooler because she just like me fr fr.

e:
https://i.imgur.com/56yaFjM.mp4

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Playing P3R is making me realize how annoying it was that in 5 you’d clear a dungeon and then have 2 weeks of holding pattern in the story until you hit the original scheduled finish time

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I think this vid illustrates the different yukaris (ignore the dumb crap added by the uploader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ykApidWck

Yukari is being mean to poor junpei in both versions but the p3p one comes across meaner thanks to the portrait specifically illustrating yukari’s annoyance and the va’s tone / enunciation.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't know if this was there in the original but (Moon Rank 9 spoilers) the link Reversing and then returning to normal in the same event is fantastic..

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Erg posted:

Playing P3R is making me realize how annoying it was that in 5 you’d clear a dungeon and then have 2 weeks of holding pattern in the story until you hit the original scheduled finish time

I guess there'll always be a tradeoff when story and dungeon progression is based around a calendar. In P3 you can clear a dungeon as much as you can after two days and then just have to wait around until a full moon. I guess in P5 beating the boss early sort of deflates any tension for the rest of the month.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Erg posted:

I feel like this could have been easily solved by setting the boss fight for a specific day and not letting you fight them early?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't know if this was there in the original but (Moon Rank 9 spoilers) the link Reversing and then returning to normal in the same event is fantastic..

it was not

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I do not remember the Hanged Man being like this in the original. that was a grudge match

it even used the infamous Nocturne Mot tactic of “give myself more turns, and then give myself more turns with those turns”

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

I feel like this could have been easily solved by setting the boss fight for a specific day and not letting you fight them early?

Well they did that with the sixth Palace, at least.

Honestly it's most notable with the fourth Palace, because the 'reason' they gave for why they don't just end the deadline if you clear the palace on the first day is just silly.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ApplesandOranges posted:

It was in the original.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I completely forgot about the whole missing persons thing and ended up getting screwed out of a couple night slots having to jump back to Tartarus but now I do appreciate that it kind of flips the script and you actually want to wait and backload your Tartarus runs until all the missing persons can be scooped up in one go vs blitzing it down as soon as the new area opens up.

If you finish Maiko's S.Link do they still end up getting lost in Tartarus, even though they've "moved far away"?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sydin posted:

I completely forgot about the whole missing persons thing and ended up getting screwed out of a couple night slots having to jump back to Tartarus but now I do appreciate that it kind of flips the script and you actually want to wait and backload your Tartarus runs until all the missing persons can be scooped up in one go vs blitzing it down as soon as the new area opens up.

If you finish Maiko's S.Link do they still end up getting lost in Tartarus, even though they've "moved far away"?

yes they do

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The meanest 'lost person' is that one person who gets lost literally the day after Shinjiro joins, 2 days before the next Full Moon. Meaning if you didn't already know about it chances are you probably went into Tartarus that stretch already.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, if you know about lost people in general you should be waiting for the last minute all the time anyway; there's really no excuse by the time you get Shinjiro. Maybe saving one day after so you can get extra courage from the nurse's drink.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

welcome posted:

It was in the original.

Nope.

e: That was added in Portable, maybe?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Arist posted:

Nope.

e: That was added in Portable, maybe?

Huh. It's definitely in Portable, I just did it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, weird, the way they've replicated the "split up" command from the original is kinda wild, I honestly don't mind it (but they should still be be assholes and steal the money IMO)

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

drat the Arqua section looks loving awesome now

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

do you eventually get the ability to get points with a social link without spending time, like the fortune teller in 5?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

Yeah, it's nice that you get more tilesets rather than just different colors of stuff.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Really enjoying Reload so far. I think it helps that it’s been a long time since I did a play though of P3, so it feels extra fresh even though I’ve been through it all before.

E: I just realized my avatar was one I made back when P3:FES came out and I never changed it. Wild.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zokari posted:

do you eventually get the ability to get points with a social link without spending time, like the fortune teller in 5?

very late in the year (end of November-ish) you can buy one-use codes from the Escapade hacker to use on the dorm computer at night, which let you pump up affinity points

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Just got to 11/22 in P5R. :aaa: I...drastically overestimated the extent to which I had pieced the story together.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm starting to really enjoy this as I gradually realize how little I remember about this game. For some reason I thought the stuff with Fuuka was even later in the game (I think because none of my attempted replays ever got past her, if they even got that far). I literally have no idea what happens between this and the ending except I think at some point you go to a love hotel for the full moon event, and at another point you go to an island. Also Ikutsuki reveals he's evil at some point. Ryoji and Aegis also show up at some point. And I remember the broad details of the situation with Ken and Shinjiro, where the latter dies.

It also helps that the gameplay has been genuinely compelling due to Merciless actually being difficult. Stuff like fusing is more enjoyable when I feel like I'm getting a tangible benefit from it, while in P5R it felt like I was just making myself even more OP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is the dumbest complaint ever and absolutely not anything substantial, especially because I only noticed due to the quite frankly insane amount of poring I've done over P5, but a bunch of the incidental background NPCs are imported directly from P5 (or have slight modifications to make their school uniforms fit and stuff like that). I get why they did it, but they don't quite gel with the look of basically anyone with a portrait and also the light hits them weirdly, they've got baked shadows on their faces that don't look right. It's just uncanny to me.

The only time this crosses over into "okay, they legitimately should have done more work on this" for me is that Mr. Edogawa's model has a similar issue where it's way lower-detail than most of the others.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Arist posted:

This is the dumbest complaint ever and absolutely not anything substantial, especially because I only noticed due to the quite frankly insane amount of poring I've done over P5, but a bunch of the incidental background NPCs are imported directly from P5 (or have slight modifications to make their school uniforms fit and stuff like that). I get why they did it, but they don't quite gel with the look of basically anyone with a portrait and also the light hits them weirdly, they've got baked shadows on their faces that don't look right. It's just uncanny to me.

The only time this crosses over into "okay, they legitimately should have done more work on this" for me is that Mr. Edogawa's model has a similar issue where it's way lower-detail than most of the others.

it’s very lol when no name NPCs have to interact with player models and the camera can’t quite keep you from noticing the contrast

Very slick looking game though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

Oh good I wasn't losing my mind thinking there were uncanny P5 NPCs everywhere lol

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Do the Link Episodes have to be done the day they first appear? That's what I've been trying to do, but I've seen some of them conflict with each other or a unique hangout, so I'm not entirely sure.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Do the Link Episodes have to be done the day they first appear? That's what I've been trying to do, but I've seen some of them conflict with each other or a unique hangout, so I'm not entirely sure.

the little activities you can do with everyone cycle throughout the year. completing three of each activity gives your teammate a unique permanent buff

the story hangouts you get on your phone don't have gameplay benefits, but they're much more story-heavy, especially shinjiro's

unrelated note: ken and koromaru are completely loving busted in this. it feels like 75% of the entire enemy roster has either a Bless or Curse weakness. koromaru goes first every turn and starts with revolution, which lets everyone else score easy crits and down enemies with no elemental weaknesses. his second theurgy is a party-wide charge skill that can easily push phys theurgies into quad-digit damage. ken's second theurgy includes a party-wide tetrakarn/makarakarn, and since nearly all bosses focus on party-wide attacks that means they'll frequently end up hurting themselves worse than anything your party could do

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the little activities you can do with everyone cycle throughout the year. completing three of each activity gives your teammate a unique permanent buff

the story hangouts you get on your phone don't have gameplay benefits, but they're much more story-heavy, especially shinjiro's

unrelated note: ken and koromaru are completely loving busted in this. it feels like 75% of the entire enemy roster has either a Bless or Curse weakness. koromaru goes first every turn and starts with revolution, which lets everyone else score easy crits and down enemies with no elemental weaknesses. his second theurgy is a party-wide charge skill that can easily push phys theurgies into quad-digit damage. ken's second theurgy includes a party-wide tetrakarn/makarakarn, and since nearly all bosses focus on party-wide attacks that means they'll frequently end up hurting themselves worse than anything your party could do

Honestly pretty much everyone is busted in the game. I kept going back and forth between who was the most absurdly OP character at any given time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I want to say Aigis is probably the least busted, at least... so far. No notable real improvements from her original version yet (I'm only up to August), and her Theurgy can be a drawback at times.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just use the characters I like the most since you can load the protag up with anything they’re missing and have a round table of weaknesses to exploit. Then again I’m playing on a lighter difficulty so what do I know

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like how Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, Grant George, Liam O'Brien, and Michelle Ruff all got to play some named role from the original and so far the only time I've heard Karen loving Strassman is that random "Tough Chick" from the back alley when Junpei, Yukari, and the MC blunder over there in June.

Good.

e: also, I feel like I have heard Xander Mobus and Sean Chiplock several times already, lol

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I've been doing the Japanese dub because I like to see the differences between how they translated things vs how I do upon listening. Junpei is a lot more goofy/fun in his original voice and even some of the lines end up coming across a lot more bratty in their English translation. Combining that with his original English voice back in the day, I can see why I really bounced hard off the character vs now where I can actually see his charming side.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m coming for P3 Reloaded after I’m done playing Infinite Wealth but this made me lol

https://x.com/wtvr_ccc/status/1756418529056764062?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i hadn't heard of yuko's new VA before (shelby young) but she's got to be one of the best in the cast. it might be a smaller role but every line read is dead-on

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

i hadn't heard of yuko's new VA before (shelby young) but she's got to be one of the best in the cast. it might be a smaller role but every line read is dead-on

She's good, yeah

I just did Emperor/Empress and hey! They made that fight mildly interesting this time!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

I just did Emperor/Empress and hey! They made that fight mildly interesting this time!

i was honestly a bit disappointed here. the fight was the easiest thing i've had in the game so far, literally just had fuuka scan weaknesses and then hit them and did all out attacks and had it wrapped up in a couple of turns. this is on merciless and I didn't feel overleveled. they also changed the way the prior scene is setup. in the original the emperor shadow actually has mitsuru picked up and throws her down when fuuka brings out her persona, and yukari also looks injured, but in this they were both kinda just sitting there and the shadows were just standing around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Oxxidation posted:

unrelated note: ken and koromaru are completely loving busted in this. it feels like 75% of the entire enemy roster has either a Bless or Curse weakness.

This feels like a side effect of the original game only having the instant kill spells for light and dark. Those were only worth gambling on if an enemy was only weak to those elements and even then it was still a shaky proposition