Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like Man of Steel, easily one of the top 5 movies where Superman is played by Henry Cavill, but Cavill’s expression 90% of the film is like “annoyingly bored” or “smug” no matter the circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kennedy is too muscly in the watchmen movie. hes super buff until he gets headshotm, seriously heads of states arent buff like that guy

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, even without the hit, the context was that he was trying to hold his wife prisoner so that she wouldn't expose his plan to use a killer robot to attack the Avengers and then 'save' them so they'd get off his back about him attacking an unarmed enemy who'd surrendered in a previous issue.

So regardless of what was intended, it wasn't ever an issue that painted him in a good light.

That's more of an assault-and-battery robot than a killer robot.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oldpainless posted:

I like Man of Steel, easily one of the top 5 movies where Superman is played by Henry Cavill, but Cavill’s expression 90% of the film is like “annoyingly bored” or “smug” no matter the circumstances
That's just a realistic portrayal of Superman though

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

credburn posted:

How long is this shower scene that you can deduce they did or did not use soap?

It's at least 26 seconds, but you really should say please when you ask someone to do your research for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhGEYGdZbUY

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carthag Tuek posted:

kennedy is too muscly in the watchmen movie. hes super buff until he gets headshotm, seriously heads of states arent buff like that guy

Who muscles the musclemen?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's at least 26 seconds, but you really should say please when you ask someone to do your research for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhGEYGdZbUY

Well, I would say, sometimes when you shower the goal is really just to get the sweat off you. I don't always use soap if I've already showered in the morning, going to shower at night, and am just rinsing off some sweat from a workout.

But I do appreciate your looking this up for us, SidneyIsTheKiller.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carthag Tuek posted:

That's because he was a mutant

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, even without the hit, the context was that he was trying to hold his wife prisoner so that she wouldn't expose his plan to use a killer robot to attack the Avengers and then 'save' them so they'd get off his back about him attacking an unarmed enemy who'd surrendered in a previous issue.

So regardless of what was intended, it wasn't ever an issue that painted him in a good light.

Oh sure, hitting his wife accidentally when she's trying to talk him down off the ledge was always intended to be a bad guy moment, they just wound up overshooting the mark.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Still better than what they did with Pym in the Ultimates line of comics where he was just a monster.

TW: abuse

He beat the poo poo out of Janet and, when she shrunk down to the Wasp to try and escape him, he caught her and sprayed her with bug spray to torture her

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ultimate Marvel: what if we took all of the best ideas we have and all of the worst ideas we have and just throw em all in there

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom decided to watch Jurassic Park, which is pretty flawless, and then the two sequels. Retirement has led to her making some odd choices. I wonder if she'll do the Jurassic World series next.

But dear gods, even as a kid I hated The Lost World. And 3 was just bad on every level. Though mad props to killing the T-rex to show how SUPER COOL this new dino is, be sure to buy the toys! new dino also has a great sense of comedic timing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

the holy poopacy posted:

Ultimate Marvel: what if we took all of the best ideas we have and all of the worst ideas we have and just throw em all in there

I mean you've just described Mark Millar's entire career. "I've got a great idea, but I reckon I can bolt some edgelord poo poo to it and make it worse"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom decided to watch Jurassic Park, which is pretty flawless, and then the two sequels. Retirement has led to her making some odd choices. I wonder if she'll do the Jurassic World series next.

But dear gods, even as a kid I hated The Lost World. And 3 was just bad on every level. Though mad props to killing the T-rex to show how SUPER COOL this new dino is, be sure to buy the toys! new dino also has a great sense of comedic timing.

The Lost World owns actually.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
JP3 has the advantage of being a lean 92 minutes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey

To explain why murder is happening, the movie claims that when Christopher Robin left for school and stopped bringing food the animals started to starve in the cold of winter when there was nothing to eat. Maddened with hunger they ate one of their friends and then lost their minds.

In a hundred acre wood. In England. Which is silly. No way a rabbit, boar, and donkey can't find enough to graze on. Owl -- come on, unless this is an entirely imaginary wood it is full of mice, WTF are you even doing with your life Owl? Flaco lived in a zoo all his life and had no trouble at all finding things to eat when he escaped to central park. You can fly! Just fly to wherever the mice are. Winnie, okay, a bear would have to work harder than a loving donkey. But considering how good he gets at murdering humans, I'm doubtful that he couldn't manage to catch geese, swans, foxes, the king's deer, rabbits, or whatever else still exists in the english woodlands.

They could have gone mad from loneliness. Or a weirdo pervert could have found them and corrupted them. Or maybe things took a real weird turn when Christopher Robin went through puberty. But hunger?!?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey

To explain why murder is happening, the movie claims that when Christopher Robin left for school and stopped bringing food the animals started to starve in the cold of winter when there was nothing to eat. Maddened with hunger they ate one of their friends and then lost their minds.

In a hundred acre wood. In England. Which is silly. No way a rabbit, boar, and donkey can't find enough to graze on. Owl -- come on, unless this is an entirely imaginary wood it is full of mice, WTF are you even doing with your life Owl? Flaco lived in a zoo all his life and had no trouble at all finding things to eat when he escaped to central park. You can fly! Just fly to wherever the mice are. Winnie, okay, a bear would have to work harder than a loving donkey. But considering how good he gets at murdering humans, I'm doubtful that he couldn't manage to catch geese, swans, foxes, the king's deer, rabbits, or whatever else still exists in the english woodlands.

They could have gone mad from loneliness. Or a weirdo pervert could have found them and corrupted them. Or maybe things took a real weird turn when Christopher Robin went through puberty. But hunger?!?

When your only goal is to quickly churn out a film to take advantage of a lapse in copyright, you probably don't pay a lot of attention to whether or not the script makes sense.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cowslips Warren posted:

The only good scene from Jurassic Park 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9sjPzyQjk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you feed wild animals they lose their natrual ability to hunt and become dependent upon humans for food.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Jurassic Park 3 is so close to being a good movie because “person crash lands on dinosaur island” is a great idea

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The same is true of Trespasser. Like, that's a solid premise for a game, just don't do... All THAT stuff with it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tunicate posted:

If you feed wild animals they lose their natrual ability to hunt and become dependent upon humans for food.

Tell that to Flaco the zoo owl. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Tell that to Flaco the zoo owl. :colbert:

it's New York, we don't know he wasn't eating dumb tourists

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

credburn posted:

Well, I would say, sometimes when you shower the goal is really just to get the sweat off you. I don't always use soap if I've already showered in the morning, going to shower at night, and am just rinsing off some sweat from a workout.

But I do appreciate your looking this up for us, SidneyIsTheKiller.

Rollerball is dystopian sci fi. What's dystopian about its world is that they have Rollerball and no soap. That's it, everything else is the same as our world.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

That's his expression for all his superman films. I think Snyder hired a hitman and told him he'd kill cavill's family if he didn't act like a sad sack for being the most powerful being on the planet.

It's incredibly frustrating because the dude can act very well but snyder doesn't understand pretty things like plot or story or how to actually make a good movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Chariot: I can't remember the last time I've been more annoyed at a movie and I'm ashamed I spent 2.99 on it. I am generally a fan of movies that take place in an airplane but this is just some half-baked conspiracy theory garbage that doesn't even make sense. Why bother with telling the pilots not to respond to radio hails if they aren't even able to respond? What was even the point of the government lady bringing the guy who saved her son when she knew it was just a dry run and he might die?

e: this movie is so bad i can't even find it on rottentomatoes to see if people agree with me because there's a more popular bad movie with the same name with john malkovich

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Feb 11, 2024

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's his expression for all his superman films. I think Snyder hired a hitman and told him he'd kill cavill's family if he didn't act like a sad sack for being the most powerful being on the planet.

It's incredibly frustrating because the dude can act very well but snyder doesn't understand pretty things like plot or story or how to actually make a good movie.

I love 300 but it’s perfectly balanced (as all things should be) out by my hate for Sucker Punch

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Baron von Eevl posted:

JP3 has the advantage of being a lean 92 minutes.

And feels it; it doesn't so much conclude as just abruptly stop. Real "And then they were rescued by...oh, let's say Moe" energy at the end.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Watching the Tokyo Vice season 2 premiere, I am reminded of a type of scene that irrationally annoys me:

A Powerful Corrupt Person is confronted in his very own home by a Badass who is just nonchalantly sitting there or something:
PCP: Who are you??? How did you get past security???
Badass: You will tell me what I want and tell no one about this meeting, or I'll come back!

They never explain how they got past security! This guy is super important, so it was probably a daring heist of some kind. I want to see it!

It also never occurs to the important guy to simply hire better security and tell everyone about the meeting. It's just taken for granted that this guy is so hardcore, that no amount of security would matter.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 11:37 on Feb 11, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh man I loved Tokyo Vice and completely forgot about it. Time to start pirating some media!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SimonChris posted:

They never explain how they got past security! This guy is super important, so it was probably a daring heist of some kind. I want to see it!

Reminds me of Mission Impossible 3 where they have a scene explaining in detail all the security the villains have protecting the macguffin (it's in a windowless steel-reinforced floor with only one elevator, monitored constantly by security cameras and floor pressure plates and laser tripwires, locked in a two-ton safe that can only be opened through a retinal scan, a fingerprint scan, and a key that is handcuffed to the manager at all times yadda yadda all that stuff).

The movie then immediately cuts to Tom Cruise jumping through a window out of the building, macguffin in hand. But as he lands, he fumbles it! And it's a cylinder, so it starts to roll into the street! So instead of seeing the cool heist, we get a "tense" scene of him running across the street through gridlocked rush hour city traffic to pick it up again.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Reminds me of Mission Impossible 3 where they have a scene explaining in detail all the security the villains have protecting the macguffin (it's in a windowless steel-reinforced floor with only one elevator, monitored constantly by security cameras and floor pressure plates and laser tripwires, locked in a two-ton safe that can only be opened through a retinal scan, a fingerprint scan, and a key that is handcuffed to the manager at all times yadda yadda all that stuff).

The movie then immediately cuts to Tom Cruise jumping through a window out of the building, macguffin in hand. But as he lands, he fumbles it! And it's a cylinder, so it starts to roll into the street! So instead of seeing the cool heist, we get a "tense" scene of him running across the street through gridlocked rush hour city traffic to pick it up again.

Okay, that's actually pretty funny. I might have to watch this now.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

SimonChris posted:

Watching the Tokyo Vice season 2 premiere, I am reminded of a type of scene that irrationally annoys me:

A Powerful Corrupt Person is confronted in his very own home by a Badass who is just nonchalantly sitting there or something:
PCP: Who are you??? How did you get past security???
Badass: You will tell me what I want and tell no one about this meeting, or I'll come back!

It also never occurs to the important guy to simply hire better security and tell everyone about the meeting. It's just taken for granted that this guy is so hardcore, that no amount of security would matter.

You might like David Fincher's The Killer, wherein you get to watch Michael Fassbender join a gym and clone keycards. Riveting stuff.

Just watched The Beekeeper last night. Normally I don't care about silly movie accents but this one has some all-timers. Jeremy Irons as the former CIA director, presumably of the United States, isn't even trying an American accent and is just pip-pipping and oi-guving all over the movie. Then there's a mercenary guy doing the most over the top Seth Efrican accent you've ever heard, for no reason whatsoever. Its nuts. Of course, Statham isn't going to do an accent, gently caress that, so the script has someone be like "you sound british" and he's like "yeah" and that's it. He's just british and its fine.

The movie is also weirdly violent but also bloodless somehow. Like, a dude gets his fingers chopped off with a bandsaw, which you see happen, and there's no blood. Just clean finger stumps like the dude is a mannequin. Someone else gets chopped in half with an elevator and again, no blood, or very little. I had to check to make sure this wasn't PG-13. There's a somewhat bloody fight at the end but otherwise its just like cartoons getting offed. Really weird.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That itself reminds me of Fast 5, the fifth installment of the movie franchise about illegal street racing, where the heroes go "we'll need some fast cars for this heist, we're going to have to do some illegal street racing to win them" and then it cuts straight to them having won the cars in illegal street races.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

That itself reminds me of Fast 5, the fifth installment of the movie franchise about illegal street racing, where the heroes go "we'll need some fast cars for this heist, we're going to have to do some illegal street racing to win them" and then it cuts straight to them having won the cars in illegal street races.

That reminds me of yet another example: In Ocean's 13, the characters need to rob a casino, so they steal one of the 600 ton tunnel boring machines used to dig the Chunnel between England and France, somehow smuggle it to Las Vegas without being noticed, and dig a tunnel under the casino! How they pull off this insane feat isn't shown or described at all; we just cut straight to them digging tunnels under Las Vegas. As Roger Ebert pointed out in his review, smuggling a massive tunnel boring machine to Las Vegas is actually a much more impressive heist than robbing another casino and would have arguably made for a more interesting movie.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Feb 11, 2024

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Didn't they also somehow get a neutron bomb at some point? You know, to disable the security at a casino.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Didn't they also somehow get a neutron bomb at some point? You know, to disable the security at a casino.

In the first film they get what is functionally an EMP device yeah.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Oceans 12 had that scene where the guy break dances through the laser security system with his carefully studied routine.

Except they said the lasers move randomly

Also another movie where the actual heist happens off screen.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Oceans 12 had a hologram projection gizmo in it, and I remember thinking that was supposed to be a Big Deal but no, it's treated like anyone can get one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
12 would the super stupid one where one of the main characters looked exactly like the movie star she was played by, and it just wasn't mentioned in the previous film right?

That was super dumb and not in a fun way.