Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Switch thread FTMFW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Accipiter posted:

Nintendo can eat a fat dick with their Switch controller button remapping feature. It's bad enough that the system nags you every time you turn on the system asking if you want to switch back to the defaults, but I just discovered today that they intentionally crippled the feature in that it doesn't support 3rd party controllers.

I'm glad they brought the feature to the system at all because I need B and A swapped to be able to play pretty much any game, but they added such unnecessary hostility.

I think these features are all good, actually.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Elephant Mario's dump truck butt squeezing through doors in Shova Mansion has got me acting up

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

That's why it's called the switch

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Accipiter posted:

I need B and A swapped to be able to play pretty much any game

This is a psyop

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

Switch thread FTMFW

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My wuncle works at Wintendo.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Large Testicles posted:

that's every regular poster in this thread

I resemble that remark.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Accipiter posted:

Nintendo can eat a fat dick with their Switch controller button remapping feature. It's bad enough that the system nags you every time you turn on the system asking if you want to switch back to the defaults, but I just discovered today that they intentionally crippled the feature in that it doesn't support 3rd party controllers.

I'm glad they brought the feature to the system at all because I need B and A swapped to be able to play pretty much any game, but they added such unnecessary hostility.
this post is abd

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is funny to need B and A swapped. I've been mostly Nintendo all my life so their B and A is natural to me, but I switch to a PC game and there really is no adjustment at all, I've got B and A flipped in my head within five minutes. (Strangely I have a lot more trouble with X and Y button prompts, no idea why)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Y will forever be the button at the top simply from playing 800 hours of GTAIV in my formative years on 360 and that being the hijack car button. A->B is a pretty simple 10 second mental switch when going between Xbox and Nintendo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Accipiter posted:

Why do you need B and A swapped to be able to play pretty much any game? Can't you just get used to them being different and achieve motion fluency through patience and time, or are you too obstinate to adapt?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I don't even see the letters anymore. I just see blonde Peach, brunette Waluigi, pay respects, etc.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

all this talk about how “jank” the puzzle solutions are in totk reminded me of this one shrine everyone here hyped up as being super impossible to solve and they had no choice but to cheese it and then I got up that shrine and it’s literally just “build a makeshift monorail”
goons are stupid

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Augus posted:

all this talk about how “jank” the puzzle solutions are in totk reminded me of this one shrine everyone here hyped up as being super impossible to solve and they had no choice but to cheese it and then I got up that shrine and it’s literally just “build a makeshift monorail”
goons are stupid

Was that the one where you make a lowercase "n" shaped thing out of three plants and then ride that to the end of a rail?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Accipiter posted:

but I just discovered today that they intentionally crippled the feature in that it doesn't support 3rd party controllers.
Button swapping works fine on all my 8BitDo "Pro Controller"s. It doesn't work with my Split Pad Pros though since those "dumb" (non-wireless) attached controllers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Switch thread FTMFW

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It is funny to need B and A swapped. I've been mostly Nintendo all my life so their B and A is natural to me, but I switch to a PC game and there really is no adjustment at all, I've got B and A flipped in my head within five minutes. (Strangely I have a lot more trouble with X and Y button prompts, no idea why)
:same:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Similarly annoying are games that offer control "customization" but only between a few of their own presets.

Love love love the games that let you decide what every button does.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Button swapping works fine on all my 8BitDo "Pro Controller"s.

My assumption is that works because those are presenting themselves to the Switch to be Nintendo's own Pro Controller.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 11, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why do you need B and A swapped to be able to play pretty much any game? Can't you just get used to them being different and achieve motion fluency through patience and time, or are you too obstinate to adapt?

Learned on super Mario land 1, and will not change.
Nintendo's fault.
But really, fully remapable buttons is a nice feature. Much like a variety of colorblind options, the reason to not have them is because the money people don't want to pay somebody to include it.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 11, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man Super Mario Wonder has perhaps the worst wall jump implementation ever.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
:confused:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

BonoMan posted:

Man Super Mario Wonder has perhaps the worst wall jump implementation ever.

Do you have the wall jump badge on? Imo it's really bad and messes with the flow of jumps except where it's designed to be needed. This is because you can't really jump across with the first walljump so you end up on the wrong side for most sections.

I was cursing it for the world 2 star world disappearing block stage and immediately had a way easier time once I took it off.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Accipiter posted:

I'm glad they brought the feature to the system at all because I need B and A swapped to be able to play pretty much any game

...why?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hope there’s a direct this week. posters are getting deranged

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Whats deranged is Super Mario Land still not being on the GB NSO

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hackan Slash posted:

Do you have the wall jump badge on? Imo it's really bad and messes with the flow of jumps except where it's designed to be needed. This is because you can't really jump across with the first walljump so you end up on the wrong side for most sections.

I was cursing it for the world 2 star world disappearing block stage and immediately had a way easier time once I took it off.

No wall jump badge. I'm doing the fluff puff peak music stage thing. I just hate the "Continue to press in the same direction" method of wall jump because it's rapid fire back and forth and feels like it fails to register like 20% of the time.

Edit: I did manage to get it after dying on the very last jump about 20 times

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 11, 2024

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

BonoMan posted:

No wall jump badge. I'm doing the fluff puff peak music stage thing. I just hate the "Continue to press in the same direction" method of wall jump because it's rapid fire back and forth and feels like it fails to register like 20% of the time.

Edit: I did manage to get it after dying on the very last jump about 20 times

This one took me a lot of tries too. My seven year old was cheering me on the whole time and was jumping for joy when I finally beat it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BonoMan posted:

error lies with user im afraid. hand diff.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This one took me a lot of tries too. My seven year old was cheering me on the whole time and was jumping for joy when I finally beat it.

Yeah I switched from handheld to TV/pro controller and beat it on the second try. drat joycons

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

I'm an old engineer and my brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but I am still useful. And I still enjoy video games. Years of playing games on computers with customizable controls and PS1/2/3/4/5 and other consoles where I can do proper remapping have permanently forced my muscle memory to have the primary action button be the one at the bottom of the diamond. Anything else is extraordinarily difficult to force myself into - so much so that it's hard to even enjoy the game I'm playing.

It's not about being stubborn as much as the fact that I can't link the new neural pathways fast enough. People can "lol" and "obstinate" all they want because, well, people on the internet are judgy as gently caress without actually knowing the person on the other end of the connection.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
My last major console on the tv before the Nintendo Switch was the PS2! I had to change the Steam Deck to have a Nintendo Switch layout, but this isnt reflected with the in-game prompts.

Shadow Of Mordor ended up being the freakiest, most mentally taxing poo poo ever this way. I regret even attempting. D:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Accipiter posted:

I'm an old engineer and my brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but I am still useful. And I still enjoy video games. Years of playing games on computers with customizable controls and PS1/2/3/4/5 and other consoles where I can do proper remapping have permanently forced my muscle memory to have the primary action button be the one at the bottom of the diamond. Anything else is extraordinarily difficult to force myself into - so much so that it's hard to even enjoy the game I'm playing.

It's not about being stubborn as much as the fact that I can't link the new neural pathways fast enough. People can "lol" and "obstinate" all they want because, well, people on the internet are judgy as gently caress without actually knowing the person on the other end of the connection.

Sounds like a skill issue

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
To whom it may concern: Gulikit controllers have a feature that let you switch between the Nintendo or xbox layout. That way nobody, not even Nintendo, can pester you about using it.

Do with that information what you will.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The 8BitDo Pro 2 and Ultimate controllers also have a PC and mobile app that allows you to remap all the buttons (including the back paddles) and even mess with analog dead zones for the sticks/triggers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

speaking of, I feel the back paddles on the 8bitdo2 pro are a definite downgrade in terms of general controller handfeel

drives me kinda nuts

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hackan Slash posted:

That specific level can go die in a fire

Mr.Acula posted:

Whats deranged is Super Mario Land still not being on the GB NSO

Can't remember is Six Golden Coins on there?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

drrockso20 posted:

Can't remember is Six Golden Coins on there?

Yes and continues to rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i can remember all the button layouts and adapt on the fly

because i am gods perfect child