Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

checkplease posted:

That’s why I like Rin and Seri for the aluren combo lines.

But turning clues and treasures into tokens does sound fun also.

I think the important thing to have with any token decks like that is a Cryptolith Rite/Jahiera/Earthcraft/Elven Rite to make your tokens also into mana dorks to keep your foot on the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My playgroup looks down on infinites more than most I'd say, so even fragile Aluren combos are going to leave everyone disappointed. But I think I now have more than enough ideas on how to make my cat swarm unblockable. If everyone's making tokens then not even Cathar's Crusade or Triumph of the Hordes is going to be enough. Need to tap everyone else or give all my cats protection from everyone else's potential blockers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LifeLynx posted:

My playgroup looks down on infinites more than most I'd say, so even fragile Aluren combos are going to leave everyone disappointed. But I think I now have more than enough ideas on how to make my cat swarm unblockable. If everyone's making tokens then not even Cathar's Crusade or Triumph of the Hordes is going to be enough. Need to tap everyone else or give all my cats protection from everyone else's potential blockers.

If your group really hates people breaking stalemates with combos or weird drain effects, You could do a one sided board wipe like hour of reckoning. Or some regular wrath then heroic Intervention.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
it's neat that other people are coming around on jinnie fae. she's a neat weird one that makes it easy to go wide in unexpected ways. it gives you more options because you can just ignore her ability if you need treasures, or blood, or whatever instead of cats/dogs

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

If your group really hates people breaking stalemates with combos or weird drain effects, You could do a one sided board wipe like hour of reckoning. Or some regular wrath then heroic Intervention.

Yeah that too. I think they just feel like not winning in the combat step is anti-climactic. They were really happy to die to the two dozen dogs I made one game. Won through an Authority of the Consuls that one, which is another thing I like about Jinnie Fay - the option to make dogs when haste would be a waste.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah that too. I think they just feel like not winning in the combat step is anti-climactic. They were really happy to die to the two dozen dogs I made one game. Won through an Authority of the Consuls that one, which is another thing I like about Jinnie Fay - the option to make dogs when haste would be a waste.

It's like a game of rock paper scissors and your friends are mad that you threw rock when they only play scissors.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
hell yeah i finally finished cutting my lara croft deck to 100 cards. it's not optimal or powerful but might be fun. i just probably won't play for way too long because i don't have a consistent play group.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

I think the important thing to have with any token decks like that is a Cryptolith Rite/Jahiera/Earthcraft/Elven Rite to make your tokens also into mana dorks to keep your foot on the gas.

Forgot about Jahiera. She’s nice as very tutorable in green. Other cars have gotten up there in price now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Just a bit of quiet griping here: I'm a little bummed that out of my three commander decks I've built based around precons, only one of them actually seems to be fit for regular upgrades. Kudos to the Fae Dominion deck, because it turns out that's actually a pretty good pace for upgrading on a budget: fairy power players don't come out that often, but the fact their thing is equal parts 'tribal love of a creature type that's always at least sort of around' and 'general black/blue horseshit' means that there's always something they would like in a set, even if it's not gonna redefine the playstyle or even necessarily a must-have. My MKM packs brought Lazav, Wearer of Faces and the Faerie Snoop; those aren't making me salivate, but I can put them in and they do sorta slap!

But one of my other decks is the Thirteenth Doctor deck, and that's a very strange one to seek out upgrades for. Theoretically, 'cast from outside the deck' is a broad umbrella that encompasses a good chunk of different keywords and a handful of other effect types on top of it, so it should be something that crops up everywhere... and yet it just doesn't really get much out of things. Outside of Adventures which themselves aren't very common or all that fast, the only recent-ish (as in, 'current over the time I've been playing') set that's even served up something that Paradox can trigger off is Ixalan with Discover, and Discover actually isn't that common. Or at least, I don't have much of it.

And Blame Game is hard to upgrade in a really weird way. You'd think its whole gimmick being a new keyword that the set it's from is built around, but the deck itself is just getting a bit too clever with it. To the set itself Suspect is clearly a buff, with the double-edged sword of 'menace/can't block' generally coming out in the affected creature's favor; you've got red and black having cards that suspect your own stuff or want to be suspected, and blue wiping out suspect on enemies. The only card I've seen treat it like a debuff is green (Airtight Alibi), which makes sense since green loves their big blockers. But Blame Game uses the fact that Nelly tacks goad onto suspect to basically turn it into an offensive debuff, which ironically means that she can't use much of the red Suspect cards in the set itself.While I feel like I can find upgrades for it, they feel tangential to the deck's angle rather than playing into it; a lot of targeted tapping from Eldraine to ice out some blockers, some politics shenanigans with stuff like Wedding Ring. It almost doesn't need the help, Blame Game is surprisingly good right out the box, but given part of the reason I got it was to have a white deck to flesh out, it's kinda disappointing.

This is more just me talking out my thoughts than anything focused, but I wouldn't turn down any suggestions on how to flesh out those more difficult decks that I might not be thinking about.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 13, 2024

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I have a question about interaction and ETB.

https://archidekt.com/decks/6014011/ceds_geralf_big_buttz_zombies

So I'm building Ced's Defender = Zombies Deck from Game Knights. And I have an Eater of Days laying around.

I have Geralf out, and I cast Eater of Days.

Geralf reads:

while Eater of Days says:

The question is can I use Geralf's ability to sac Eater of Days BEFORE it's ETB takes effect making me lose two turns? Paying 5 to get an 8/8 flying Zombie ain't half bad. It's no biggie if I can't, just wondering as I'm going through cards that are cheap with the big butt on them.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
No, that doesn't work like you want it to.

Looks for big defenders instead. Blue has some reasonable toughness walls, one of them even flies.

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3ADefender+commander%3AU+%28game%3Apaper%29+tou%3E5

Check out shield sphere for 0.

Jorath fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 13, 2024

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Triggers exist independently of whatever created them. You can respond by sacrificing Eater of Days, but even with Eater of Days dead, that trigger is still on the stack, and still going to resolve and make you lose two turns.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

And Blame Game is hard to upgrade in a really weird way. You'd think its whole gimmick being a new keyword that the set it's from is built around, but the deck itself is just getting a bit too clever with it. To the set itself Suspect is clearly a buff, with the double-edged sword of 'menace/can't block' generally coming out in the affected creature's favor; you've got red and black having cards that suspect your own stuff or want to be suspected, and blue wiping out suspect on enemies. The only card I've seen treat it like a debuff is green (Airtight Alibi), which makes sense since green loves their big blockers. But Blame Game uses the fact that Nelly tacks goad onto suspect to basically turn it into an offensive debuff, which ironically means that she can't use much of the red Suspect cards in the set itself.While I feel like I can find upgrades for it, they feel tangential to the deck's angle rather than playing into it; a lot of targeted tapping from Eldraine to ice out some blockers, some politics shenanigans with stuff like Wedding Ring. It almost doesn't need the help, Blame Game is surprisingly good right out the box, but given part of the reason I got it was to have a white deck to flesh out, it's kinda disappointing.

This is more just me talking out my thoughts than anything focused, but I wouldn't turn down any suggestions on how to flesh out those more difficult decks that I might not be thinking about.

Blame Game isn't really focused on the suspect mechanic, it's more about incentivizing your opponents to go after each other and leave you alone. Look for spells that give your opponents (and you) benefits if they swing at each other instead of you, or punish them if they turn their attention your way, or that just make you more of a hassle to deal with. If they still try to go after you, force the issue with spells or abilities that let you mess with attacking/blocking assignments and force them to attack each other instead of you. You want them to wear each other down so that you can swoop in to finish them off.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Triggers exist independently of whatever created them. You can respond by sacrificing Eater of Days, but even with Eater of Days dead, that trigger is still on the stack, and still going to resolve and make you lose two turns.

Gotcha so unless I had something like an Obeka to end my turn early it wouldn't work. Cool!

Appreciate the explanation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cleretic posted:

Just a bit of quiet griping here: I'm a little bummed that out of my three commander decks I've built based around precons, only one of them actually seems to be fit for regular upgrades. Kudos to the Fae Dominion deck, because it turns out that's actually a pretty good pace for upgrading on a budget: fairy power players don't come out that often, but the fact their thing is equal parts 'tribal love of a creature type that's always at least sort of around' and 'general black/blue horseshit' means that there's always something they would like in a set, even if it's not gonna redefine the playstyle or even necessarily a must-have. My MKM packs brought Lazav, Wearer of Faces and the Faerie Snoop; those aren't making me salivate, but I can put them in and they do sorta slap!

But one of my other decks is the Thirteenth Doctor deck, and that's a very strange one to seek out upgrades for. Theoretically, 'cast from outside the deck' is a broad umbrella that encompasses a good chunk of different keywords and a handful of other effect types on top of it, so it should be something that crops up everywhere... and yet it just doesn't really get much out of things. Outside of Adventures which themselves aren't very common or all that fast, the only recent-ish (as in, 'current over the time I've been playing') set that's even served up something that Paradox can trigger off is Ixalan with Discover, and Discover actually isn't that common. Or at least, I don't have much of it.

First thing: not every set will have upgrades for every deck, or even cards that will have any relevance to every deck. Commander is an eternal format, you've got over 30 years of card design to work with and the odds that a relevant card will be put into a standard legal set is pretty small, even for precons from around those sets. Explore old cards instead, there are much weirder and likely stronger cards out there.

Second thing: I think you're getting over-fixated on certain mechanics when it comes to seeing synergies.

Nellie benefits from suspect, for sure, but why not cut out the middleman and put in things like Taunt from the Ramparts or Life of the Party, or symmetrical damage effects that will benefit you more than it will everyone else? Put in damage multipliers, put in Descent into Avernus, or Roiling Vortex, or Wheel of Misfortune, or Rolling Earthquake!

The Thirteenth Doctor, meanwhile, 100% has things that paradox can trigger off in MKM, such as Kylox, Visionary Inventor or Expedited Inheritance. Anything that exiles a card and then you can cast it applies, it doesn't have to be keyworded or a major theme of the set. (It doesn't have to be from exile, of course, just anywhere other than your hand. Anything cast with flashback? Triggers Paradox. Spellweaver Volute? Triggers paradox. Panglacial Wurm? Triggers paradox. Flipping battles? Triggers paradox.)

[edit]

Don't put Panglacial Wurm or Spellweaver Volute into The Thirteenth Doctor. Do put in stuff like Faldorn, Imoti, and Plargg and Nassari

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 13, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

First thing: not every set will have upgrades for every deck, or even cards that will have any relevance to every deck. Commander is an eternal format, you've got over 30 years of card design to work with and the odds that a relevant card will be put into a standard legal set is pretty small, even for precons from around those sets. Explore old cards instead, there are much weirder and likely stronger cards out there.

Second thing: I think you're getting over-fixated on certain mechanics when it comes to seeing synergies.

I think this mindset might be coming from a history with Yu-Gi-Oh. Not only are combos there a lot more arbitrarily nonsense to the point where you can basically only trust either an in-archetype combo or exactly what you found on Youtube, but getting historical cards in paper just isn't really plausible in Australia. To an insane degree, in fact; I wanted to build a deck based on a weird rogue archetype that was last printed in 2018, and literally could not find most of them.

I'm kinda new to this weird and wonderful world of being able to just... buy a single card and put it in a deck.

(But also I do like opening packs, and had some nasty positive reinforcement through Fae Dominion actually upgrading really well with the approach of 'just buy the set with a buncha fairies')

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cleretic posted:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=f%3Aedh+ci%3Aboros+o%3Agoad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jiro posted:

Gotcha so unless I had something like an Obeka to end my turn early it wouldn't work. Cool!

Appreciate the explanation.

Stifle effects to counter the ETB work too, but it's not worth it.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Black is the color I'm least familiar/proficient with, so I'm trying to build a Massacre Girl, Known Killer deck to step outside my comfort zone and I need help with the final 12 cuts.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/_TIk0-Rt3E65I9HewKkEeg

Big fan of Wither, and I feel like there is a lot of value to be had from throwing out creatures with attack/deal combat damage triggers to force my opponents into bad blocks. Also have a few cute minor subthemes like giving my opponents 1/1s and lifegain/aristocrats to offset paying life for things, also some minor +1/+1 counter and Proliferate synergy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No Walking Ballista or Triskelion?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Holy poo poo you're a genius, however I now have MORE cuts to make.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Making some decks for my kids, want to see if

I have a Rin&Seri deck for my daughter and a dinosaur deck for my son. I see there are a decent amount of possible tribal decks that thematically could fit kids, e.g. unicorn, phoenix, horse, and a bunch more. Are any of those worth playing or are they mostly "put 40 creatures, 30 staples and 30 lands in and play"?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Not that many creature types have good support for that kind of deck, with strong internal synergies and whatnot. Angels and Pirates are probably the best bet for "things with decent support that would appeal to kids".

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Faeries, Dragons, and Bears too maybe. You can do Unicorns and Phoenixes, but they have very little support and probably won't be able to keep up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ineptitude posted:

Making some decks for my kids, want to see if

I have a Rin&Seri deck for my daughter and a dinosaur deck for my son. I see there are a decent amount of possible tribal decks that thematically could fit kids, e.g. unicorn, phoenix, horse, and a bunch more. Are any of those worth playing or are they mostly "put 40 creatures, 30 staples and 30 lands in and play"?

I think you might be able to do GW Horses (please include 36 lands).

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i ride or die with 35 lands.

don't ask my win rate.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

So if I also had a Phantasmal Dreadmaw: When it becomes the target of a spell or ability sacrifice it, the same thing would happen? I can still make the token since it would be going to the graveyard anyway?

Party Miser posted:

i ride or die with 35 lands.

don't ask my win rate.

Yeah my Sidar Jabari Esper Knights is sitting on 34 lands. I played it, and now gotta figure out what to cut to put more land in.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah it needs to have its own identity, not just slap together a bunch of cards from that tribe.
Did not expect BEARS of all things to be the one with the most identity (amongst tribes that fit my criteria that is)

Fairies make a good case, but the decks also needs to not be mean and mainly focus on defending, fairies inherently seem fairly hostile.
Dragons, dinos, catdogs are good, and they already have those.
Elephants looks interesting, lots of strong cards, but no real commander providing an identity.
Same with Foxes, Birds, Apes.
Phoenixes and Frogs have commanders, but doesn't look very strong?
Angels and Werewolves are probably the next best bets, going to gauge their interest in those.

Im not seeing a GW horse commander?

EDIT: I looked at a werewolf decklist and like every creature card is two-sided, ugh. Not doing that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah it needs to have its own identity, not just slap together a bunch of cards from that tribe.
Did not expect BEARS of all things to be the one with the most identity (amongst tribes that fit my criteria that is)

Fairies make a good case, but the decks also needs to not be mean and mainly focus on defending, fairies inherently seem fairly hostile.
Elephants looks interesting, lots of strong cards, but no real commander providing an identity.
Angels and Werewolves are probably the next best bets, going to gauge their interest in those.

Elves would be fun and simple and kinda cheap. If one of your kids is into spooky stuff there's the Baldur's Gate Horror tribal precon that's INCREDIBLY cheap to upgrade and is very very efficient. Pirates are another tribe that's "fun bad guy". And there's always Merfolk.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 13, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

EDIT: I looked at a werewolf decklist and like every creature card is two-sided, ugh. Not doing that.

Oh, Emiel and Lathiel are Unicorns, not Horses

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jiro posted:

So if I also had a Phantasmal Dreadmaw: When it becomes the target of a spell or ability sacrifice it, the same thing would happen? I can still make the token since it would be going to the graveyard anyway?

Geralf doesn't target. You can sac the Dreadmaw just fine. The sacrifice is a cost, so there is no* way for anyone to stop you from being able to sac Phantasmal Dreadmaw to an able-to-be-activated Geralf. If somebody targets it with something, you can sac it in response.

However I would recommend against this plan as paying 5 mana and comboing 2 cards to get a 6/6 is not a good deal.

*well, technically, if you resolve Dreadmaw and then pass priority so that somebody else gets an opportunity to act, AND somebody plays a Split Second spell that targets Dreadmaw, then you can't. but don't worry about that.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Ineptitude posted:

There are tons of Dragon commanders and years and years of support for them. Goblins are also a possibility and they have a kind of cartoon energy that's really fun, what with them loading themselves into catapults and whatnot.

I'm guessing it's a no for vampires or elves: they probably appeal a lot more to older kids who have at least some Middle School angst.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Geralf doesn't target. You can sac the Dreadmaw just fine. The sacrifice is a cost, so there is no* way for anyone to stop you from being able to sac Phantasmal Dreadmaw to an able-to-be-activated Geralf. If somebody targets it with something, you can sac it in response.

However I would recommend against this plan as paying 5 mana and comboing 2 cards to get a 6/6 is not a good deal.

*well, technically, if you resolve Dreadmaw and then pass priority so that somebody else gets an opportunity to act, AND somebody plays a Split Second spell that targets Dreadmaw, then you can't. but don't worry about that.

Yeah, I think they were asking if you could sacrifice after it becomes targeted by something while the sacrifice trigger from its ability is on the stack (which you already answered that they could).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Faeries, Dragons, and Bears too maybe. You can do Unicorns and Phoenixes, but they have very little support and probably won't be able to keep up.

Fairies might have a problem that they're very much much 'dark fairies', which is a bit of a niche subgenre as far as kids go.

I have been surprised at what sort of creature types don't have that sort of support at all, though. I was spitballing with a friend what a fish deck would be like (in part because the Frost Fair Lure Fish looked like an awesome inclusion for something like that), and and while we theoretically found a dynamic for it around including the various other 'aquatic' creatures, it was weird how you'd have to go out-of-type for the commander, because the one fish legendary creature doesn't care about fish. We ended up running with Yasova Dragonclaw with the angle of 'she's gone fishing, and it's gotten REALLY out of hand'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 14, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
spirits are cool, you could do a ghost deck

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Get the UW deck from Neon Dynasty and do giant robot tribal.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Wait for the Hatsune Miku Universes Beyond Commander Secret Lair Drop. Kids love anime, right?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
MTG could probably print a set of nothing but photos of the worst turds from their office toilet and, so long as they get a handful of reasonably powerful cards in the mix, would probably make no less money from it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

I appreciate the rules and interaction clarifications!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ineptitude posted:

There looks to be a lot of unicorns actually.

https://scryfall.com/search?q=t%3Aunicorn&unique=cards&as=full&order=name