Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meow Tse-tung posted:

They're really good overall, but don't just install everything. The way I did it was basically just saying, "I want X, why isn't X in this game?" and would go grab the mod mid-playthrough. Going from vanilla to all-out-mods would be crazy overwhelming but adding a handful of nonlethal weapons is a good example of a way to gradually work it in.

oh yeah i definitely meant it in thise sense - just looking at the list there is a lot of stuff i really wish i had (like soup) which sounds like it could make for fun variety. more furniture, plans and farming, cooking, etc. sounds like the kind of thing i'd enjoy a lot

this is also because i'm also really bad at sticking to colonies for a really long time in any of these kinds of games and enjoy the early/mid game a lot more than the late(r) game :v: i just begin to lose interest when a colony is too big/has too many people that i can't keep track of, is too automated etc. and i don't think stuff like raids and killboxes etc. are "fun" so i usually end up starting a new game if i get to that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Your Computer posted:

is there a way to deliberately shoot to wound instead of kill?

i'm desperate for more settlers but the game just keeps sending me the worst dudes who are either dead before i can fetch them, dead because they raided me or so bad i want to banish them before they make trouble (just got a kid who's a bloodthirsty misogynist. he's going to make the entire settlement including himself miserable i'd rather take the mood penalty and just banish him asap)

if i could at least take some prisoners from the raids that would help, but they all end up dead :negative:
Keep an eye out for psychic shock lances from traders. They're expensive, but it's definitely worth it to keep some around if you're still looking to recruit. You can check all the raiders whenever they come in and pick the perfect pawn for your colony and just zap them first so there's no risk of them dying in combat. There's a small risk of their brain catching on fire, but nothing's perfect.

Except for nonlethal modded weapons which can completely upend whatever passes for game balance if you exploit them- which is fine if you want to play that way, but I wouldn't necessarily go for those first.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Rimworld: A small risk of their brain catching on fire, but nothing's perfect

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah a psychic shock lance is insanely good, when I was newer to the game I didn't have the imagination to consider the possibilities and would instead get the psychic insanity lance thinking "takes out 1 enemy and maybe damages or kills a few others." Now I always get a shock lance, or several, as soon as I can. The cost is extremely low for the value that you can squeeze out of it, whether that's in terms of capturing a pawn with perfect traits and skills or incapacitating someone in power armor so that I can take it for myself. The power armor move is practically a cheat code if you can pull it off, sometimes the opponents in the Deserter quest will be wearing some scout or marine armor

I also like building a "throne room" that's just a giant multi-layered oven and then triggering a title ceremony.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

An important thing to note about Vanilla Extended is that sometimes a VE mod will do exactly what it says, and sometimes a VE mod will add stuff completely unrelated to anything implied by the mod's name or apparent topic. For example, Pirates has a new storyteller with a gimmick, adds two new raider type factions who love 2 fite, and you can hire mercenaries - which makes sense for people themed around wanting money and fighting. However, the mod's central feature is actually 'Warcaskets', which are basically huge power armor suits kind of like 40k Dreadnaughts that pawns get sealed into for life and turns them into extremely well armored combatants who can use special weapons and do basically nothing else ever again. Mechnoids? Loads of mechanoid stuff - and a major method of production in the form of automated buildings so you can do things like shove hunted game into a processor that then shoves the processed meat into a neutroamine refinery. Granted these things often require special items now acquired from mechanoids so it's not completely divorced, but still, probably not where your mind goes when you hear there's a bunch of new mechanoids to fight and they have a system of scaling up their forces that you can counter by attacking landed mech ships.

e; Any kind of psychic power item is gonna have insane utility, they're absolutely fantastic even if used in the least imaginative way possible. Used creatively and well they'll change everything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

An important thing to note about Vanilla Extended is that sometimes a VE mod will do exactly what it says, and sometimes a VE mod will add stuff completely unrelated to anything implied by the mod's name or apparent topic. [...] Mechnoids? Loads of mechanoid stuff - and a major method of production in the form of automated buildings so you can do things like shove hunted game into a processor that then shoves the processed meat into a neutroamine refinery. Granted these things often require special items now acquired from mechanoids so it's not completely divorced, but still, probably not where your mind goes when you hear there's a bunch of new mechanoids to fight and they have a system of scaling up their forces that you can counter by attacking landed mech ships.
And that weird amalgamation sucks both ways- I'd love to play around with crazy factory automation. But I have no idea how the mechs scaling up globally and the requirement that you take out crashed ships works and it sounds lame, so I have never used the mechanoid mod.

The fun thing is they then have other completely unrelated mods that add an interesting factory facility... but you need the mechanoids mod or it's disabled.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Also worth noting that some of the VE storytellers like Rimworld Rick or Oskar Obnoxious, should not even be installed because they actively corrupt the gamefiles and can lead to several GB of ram usage and CPU utilization even when they aren't being used as the active story teller.

In general, any mod on this list should prolly be heavily considered before being added. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12mAva1anZribuz6PmNoTJvTq5AdgarPyiB1cd1pFsMg/edit#gid=0

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this is a completely unrelated question but how do you deal with beds when multiple characters are married to each other? :thunk: they're getting mood penalties for sleeping without their spouse(s) and each (double) bed can only be designated for two pawns with no overlap so the same pawn can't have two beds...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

this is a completely unrelated question but how do you deal with beds when multiple characters are married to each other? :thunk: they're getting mood penalties for sleeping without their spouse(s) and each (double) bed can only be designated for two pawns with no overlap so the same pawn can't have two beds...

Micromanagement.

Otherwise there are like a dozen mods that solve this in different ways. I've seen one that counts everyone sleeping in the same room for the bonus, one that autoswitches bed assignments to rotate the polycule and then there are the bed mods that add 3-7 person beds so they can all sleep in a pile.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Eiba posted:

And that weird amalgamation sucks both ways- I'd love to play around with crazy factory automation. But I have no idea how the mechs scaling up globally and the requirement that you take out crashed ships works and it sounds lame, so I have never used the mechanoid mod.

The fun thing is they then have other completely unrelated mods that add an interesting factory facility... but you need the mechanoids mod or it's disabled.

the mechanoids ships stuff sucks a great deal, but it is also trivially removed using the in-game options menus that come with the mod

mech components, needed for the automation, are found through regular mech raids/trade

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Micromanagement.

Otherwise there are like a dozen mods that solve this in different ways. I've seen one that counts everyone sleeping in the same room for the bonus, one that autoswitches bed assignments to rotate the polycule and then there are the bed mods that add 3-7 person beds so they can all sleep in a pile.
this idea is hilarious but i can't find it. i swear i was not anticipating having to do polycule micromanagement when i started this playthrough

i assume the bed mods won't ruin my save?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eiba posted:

The mech invasion thing can (and should) be easily turned off in the settings at least so if that's the only reason you avoided it then it's easily fixed at least.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The answer is to just do what I do.

Have 777 active mods. It's a jackpot of some kind.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

this idea is hilarious but i can't find it. i swear i was not anticipating having to do polycule micromanagement when i started this playthrough

Here's the assignment one

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2572109781&searchtext=poly+bed

And yeah all the bed mods should be fine to add to a save. In general adding mods is almost never an issue even in an ongoing save, removing them is what causes issues.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the mechanoids ships stuff sucks a great deal, but it is also trivially removed using the in-game options menus that come with the mod

mech components, needed for the automation, are found through regular mech raids/trade
Oh cool, I never actually installed it so I didn't know that was an option. I might actually give it a go next play through.

Your Computer posted:

Honestly polycule management is the main reason I stick with monogamy.

I believe you can put all the beds in the same room and it counts as "sleeping with" their spouse, even if they're just in a single bed next to their spouse and their spouse's spouse. They won't get the loving mood bonus without swapping partners out manually.

I think the romance mod lets people hook up though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
y'all have been tremendously helpful, thank you :kimchi:

i've got another stupid question - which parts should you include in your "home" zone? i noticed that by default this includes any area you've touched which includes stuff like animal pens (which have to be huge) and remote parts of the map, and i feel like it's a shame to have my colonists trek over there just to sweep at the literal dirt.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

i've got another stupid question - which parts should you include in your "home" zone? i noticed that by default this includes any area you've touched which includes stuff like animal pens (which have to be huge) and remote parts of the map, and i feel like it's a shame to have my colonists trek over there just to sweep at the literal dirt.

Include anywhere you want fires fought and things repaired. For stuff like outer walls, it can be useful to limit the zone only to the wall itself so it gets repaired but people don't spend a bunch of time cleaning around it etc.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Another reason to not have your home zone outside the outer walls is when pawns, mechs or animals just wander around they loving LOVE walking as far out as possible to the outside of your walls

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Instead of full polyamory I usually run binary pairing with intense Free Love, just because of the bed and moodlet situation. Nobody actually fucks around because there’s mechanically no way for it to happen, but whatever.

The polyamory beds are a cool idea but bedrooms wind up having to be So Long.

Also they would get done with the five-wide bed then someone else would hook up and we’d have to put it in storage for if someone breaks up, and start on a six-wide bed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Eiba posted:

Oh cool, I never actually installed it so I didn't know that was an option. I might actually give it a go next play through.

tbh i'd swerve it unless you really want the novelty. it was kind of cool pre-Biotech but now it's just outclassed in all ways.

the automated factories are big, expensive, and generally act to remove constraints rather than give new systems to play with. for example - put in a bunch of work and end up with a device chain that slowly produces infinite steel out of drilling. now what?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
did they nerf watermills and/or increase the cost of sunlamps because i just realized i need the combined power of three watermills to run one single lamp and almost nothing else

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I use the automatically generated Home zone until I need customized zoning for some specific reason, and then I create those zones from scratch rather than modifying the Home zone.

I like to have a "Safe" zone that precludes my defensive lines, a "Combat" zone that includes it (which lets certain noncombatants rescue downed people), and an "Animals" zone that keeps smarter animals out of specific parts of my base and if I have any corpse-eating animals then maybe I give them access to a specific freezer area too. I might create temporary zones for specific things, like if I need to path mining pawns around a dormant group of mechanoids then temporary zones will be set up for that. Or there's always the classic trick of zoning animals through enemies, which still works for the smarter kinds of animals that don't need a pen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

did they nerf watermills and/or increase the cost of sunlamps because i just realized i need the combined power of three watermills to run one single lamp and almost nothing else

Do you have any batteries? Since sunlamps are only turned on during the day you can get by with 2 watermills + 1 battery, with the battery getting charged at night

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Do you have any batteries? Since sunlamps are only turned on during the day you can get by with 2 watermills + 1 battery, with the battery getting charged at night

oh i completely forgot to account for that, hmm. then even better i could put up some solar panels to even it out yeah?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

HelloSailorSign posted:

Neanderthals op

They're broken and unfun. Every Neanderthal I've ever fought lasts until there's 1 hour of healing left on their wounds. Just insane damage sponges. It's easier to take down mechs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Your Computer posted:

the biggest thing this will affect without mods is cleaning behavior, i.e. if you build a bridge over a river, it will constantly get dirtied up and pawns will go out to clean it. the other big thing is fire-fighting, if a fire is burning inside your home zone then pawns will attempt to put it out (depending on priority assignments) and if it's outside home zone they will ignore it. consider this for wall placements, i.e. you want your pawns to put out fires for surrounding walls but maybe you don't want them going outside the perimeter to wipe up some goat puke. there are mods that allow you to separate this (i.e. define specific cleaning zones)
Cleaning Area

Doltos posted:

They're broken and unfun. Every Neanderthal I've ever fought lasts until there's 1 hour of healing left on their wounds. Just insane damage sponges. It's easier to take down mechs.

note you can control this on map gen (i.e. disable their faction and replace them with one of the base game tribal factions)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your Computer posted:

oh i completely forgot to account for that, hmm. then even better i could put up some solar panels to even it out yeah?

Heck yeah, solar panels work great with sunlamps

The only downside of batteries are the Zzzt events, but Zzzt events only occur on conduit. You can set up sunlamps to run on their own little circuits that have no conduit at all, just solar panels and batteries sitting next to each other. This works great for taking advantage of remote patches of fertile soil with a long-growing crop like devilstrand mushrooms - you just enclose a sunlamp + its growing zone with walls, and then next to that you create another little walled-in enclosure for some (unroofed) solar panels and (roofed) batteries, building extra power for heaters if you're in a cold climate

You can also create thermodynamics-breaking power grids, growing corn crops with sunlamps, the corn is turned into biofuel, and the biofuel burns in biofuel generators, all with zero conduit. This creates a healthy surplus of corn, power, heat, and chemfuel, it's just labor-intensive - when Coolguye and I were running these experiments the Biotech expansion didn't exist yet, it probably works better if you have a bunch of agrihands and lifters

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Flesh Forge posted:

note you can control this on map gen (i.e. disable their faction and replace them with one of the base game tribal factions)

I refuse to disable anything while simultaneously getting mad that a single Impid lit my colonists on fire again

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my cozy little settlement year 1 :3:

i'm sure there's a million terrible things about this but i'm relearning the game on the baby difficult and enjoy it a lot

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
eventually will be brought down by 30 rabid squirrels

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I need to install that fire extinguisher mod again. Having them ready to equip every 50 feet in hallways and work rooms was the sanest thing I ever saw in RimWorld

Edit: are foam turrets or foam shells worth it at all?

Heffer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ms Adequate posted:

e; Any kind of psychic power item is gonna have insane utility, they're absolutely fantastic even if used in the least imaginative way possible. Used creatively and well they'll change everything.

Shock lances are great for Thrumbo hunting, completely safe and a net gain in total wealth even before you turn that sweet fur into a cape. Using them to turn the mech bosses into vegetables on Biotech's release was also hilarious, too bad they immediately nerfed that.

Heffer posted:

Kinda niche, they're both more about preparing an area that you want to fight in without fires. Usually you remove all the flammable stuff around your base so that's not an issue though, or if there's a fire in the open fields you just let it burn itself out or let the rain take care of it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Heffer posted:

I need to install that fire extinguisher mod again. Having them ready to equip every 50 feet in hallways and work rooms was the sanest thing I ever saw in RimWorld

firefoam backpacks definitely are, and you need foam shells for those and for firefoam popper constructions

isndl
May 2, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

firefoam backpacks definitely are, and you need foam shells for those and for firefoam popper constructions

Poppers don't need shells, you're probably thinking of firefoam IEDs which act like poppers except they have to be manually triggered. Pop packs are definitely great though, always worth bringing one on ancient structure expeditions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I thought they needed shells to be re-armed after they had popped in response to a fire?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I had not considered hauling a mortar and firefoam shells to ancient complexes as a mitigation measure.

Firefoam packs sound a lot more controllable but maybe if I wind up with some firefoam shells from a quest or event.

Anyway I’ve been handling ancient complexes by entering through the side with frag grenades and blasting out internal walls so the whole thing counts as outside, in the event we have to go in and manually put out a fuel cell pop.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I thought they needed shells to be re-armed after they had popped in response to a fire?

Nothing uses shells to rearm, poppers have to be fully reconstructed after they pop and pop packs use regular chemfuel. Firefoam IEDs are substantially cheaper to make than poppers in terms of raw resources used, but requiring a pawn to trigger it is a significant downside.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Your Computer posted:

my cozy little settlement year 1 :3:

i'm sure there's a million terrible things about this but i'm relearning the game on the baby difficult and enjoy it a lot

Ax the direct door between the butcher and kitchen. It'll solve cleanliness problems and keep your pawns from walking through your kitchen to get to the food store. I usually just slam my kitchen into a 3x3 room with one entrance. You'll barely notice the extra time it takes for pawns to go into it. That way only the cooking pawn goes in and if you put a storage right next to the door for meals pawns will only go into the doorway to grab a meal lowering the amount of air conditioners you need to keep everything cold. I'd also wall off the water mills and solar panel so raiders don't down everything in one go.

Other than that it looks perfectly fine.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Doltos posted:

Ax the direct door between the butcher and kitchen. It'll solve cleanliness problems and keep your pawns from walking through your kitchen to get to the food store. I usually just slam my kitchen into a 3x3 room with one entrance. You'll barely notice the extra time it takes for pawns to go into it. That way only the cooking pawn goes in and if you put a storage right next to the door for meals pawns will only go into the doorway to grab a meal lowering the amount of air conditioners you need to keep everything cold. I'd also wall off the water mills and solar panel so raiders don't down everything in one go.

Other than that it looks perfectly fine.

Butcher table isn't going to cause cleanliness problems because they're separate rooms, foot traffic may be an issue but there are other ways to solve that which won't involve doubling the distance the cook has to travel when working (and that absolutely does matter as your colony gets bigger and you need more meals per day).

I don't want to nitpick optimization for someone having fun starting out though so all I'm gonna say is think about replacing all that wood with stone, you're one badly timed fire away from losing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
hell, one flaming squirrel away from losing everything