Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That ceases to be an obstacle after the first mortar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

You thought mortars could shoot from inside buildings? Like, with roofs?

idk like shoot it out the chimney or something. Use the balcony.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the crete LP is over, was good fun running it

definitely doing more GTS LP projects in the future

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
You played against yourself right?

It was a cool LP but imo would be cooler playing against someone else.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Feb 9, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Orange Devil posted:

You played against yourself right?

It was a cool LP but imo would be cooler playing against someone else.
Yeah, was entirely solo. I have tried duo-wargames LPs in the past but they tend to progress very slowly and eventually die on the vine, since it's hard to do a regular playing schedule, especially for long games. Also harder to collate the screenshots necessary since you need to pause the action as well.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Check your PMs btw

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

are the flaws with civ 4 col that made people say it was inferior to to the original fundamental design flaws or just things that can be modded away? I recall a big complaint was that the king’s army snowballs and becomes impossible to beat but that sounds like something a mod could easily fix?

So the two big flaws I think were that it was too short; only 300 turns and so you'd have to transition very quickly from a colonial extraction system to an industrial powerhouse so you could beat the king's army and that was also because you had to generate liberty bells to declare independence but generating liberty bells also made the king add units to the army. So the logical way to play would be to not generate them at all to start with and then quickly ramp them up when you were starting to get ready to declare independence, but this was somewhat unsatisfying. The WTP mod makes it so that the game takes longer, ~600 turns I think, and also the king only increases the size of the army when you start increasing the size of your army so you can be free to generate liberty bells and start grabbing all the modded founded fathers for your Congress.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

And the 8 morale Jerries are passing so many morale checks.

squad leader is the OG of wehraboo jerk off games yeah

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Does anybody remember a game by SSG called "Gold of the Americas" from I think 1989?

I got a copy on a CD compilation from SSI called "The Definitive Wargame Collection" in about 1994, and I think I played it once and felt so dirty, I never played it again.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

sullat posted:

So the two big flaws I think were that it was too short; only 300 turns and so you'd have to transition very quickly from a colonial extraction system to an industrial powerhouse so you could beat the king's army and that was also because you had to generate liberty bells to declare independence but generating liberty bells also made the king add units to the army. So the logical way to play would be to not generate them at all to start with and then quickly ramp them up when you were starting to get ready to declare independence, but this was somewhat unsatisfying. The WTP mod makes it so that the game takes longer, ~600 turns I think, and also the king only increases the size of the army when you start increasing the size of your army so you can be free to generate liberty bells and start grabbing all the modded founded fathers for your Congress.

so modded civ4col pretty much has all the issues fixed and might as well be the definitive version of the game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to say "doesn't the base game come with the 'Marathon' game speed setting to make it longer" but then I realized that might slow down production rates by the same pace that it lengthens the game turns so you might not necessarily gain anything

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Marathon settings tend to significantly speed up things for the player due to giving them a lot more finesse in their actions and limiting waste of actions on unit movement

e: Marathon really emphasizes good scouting, planning, and tactics, because things resolve relatively quickly compared to the time needed to recover from losses or react economically to unexpected events.

my dad has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Feb 10, 2024

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my dad posted:

Marathon settings tend to significantly speed up things for the player due to giving them a lot more finesse in their actions and limiting waste of actions on unit movement

it makes conquest a lot easier since you have more turns to exploit temporary advantages

in civ 5 as the mongols you can grind up xp (which does not change with game speed) on a city state to get logistics on your chariot archers then sweep the world after upgrading them to keshiks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTAzp71Pb4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is it about hoi4 makes Stalin out to be 100% correct by having a Trotskyist uprising if you don’t purge

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is it about hoi4 makes Stalin out to be 100% correct by having a Trotskyist uprising if you don’t purge

the most ahistorical part of the tree is actually the left opposition inviting trotsky back if they win

historically everyone including the left opposition loving hated trotsky's guts because how much of a condescending douche he was on a personal level

Typo has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Feb 10, 2024

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Shocked (shocked!) that a game that has the god drat *Bonapartes* taking over France in one focus tree has no idea of the basic facts of early Soviet factions.

Edit: I'm still annoyed that the German Tree basically removed the Communist path and instead is full of a bunch of monarchist crap.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

I'm still annoyed that the German Tree basically removed the Communist path and instead is full of a bunch of monarchist crap.

But are you surprised? Just be glad they didn't make it some sort of epic Ulm tree.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

But are you surprised? Just be glad they didn't make it some sort of epic Ulm tree.

No, but I'm still angry lol. No insane Kingdom of Bavaria taking over the German state to take revenge against the backwater Prussians is an interesting oversight by the pdox team.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

BadOptics posted:

Shocked (shocked!) that a game that has the god drat *Bonapartes* taking over France in one focus tree has no idea of the basic facts of early Soviet factions.

Edit: I'm still annoyed that the German Tree basically removed the Communist path and instead is full of a bunch of monarchist crap.

I do get it though

it's like if you are a player who want to play as the USSR there's roughly 90% chance you want Trotsky to be a choice as leader and you gotta sell to that playerbase

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My most played nation in Dominions is (MA) Ulm, lol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The long digression in the video to explain that he's not a tankie and the Holodomir definitely happened, and also referring to the soviet system as authoritarian and totalitarian is very funny to me. You can make an entire video about how liberal historiography of the USSR is propaganda, but ultimately still be a liberal, I guess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

im_sorry posted:

Does anybody remember a game by SSG called "Gold of the Americas" from I think 1989?

I got a copy on a CD compilation from SSI called "The Definitive Wargame Collection" in about 1994, and I think I played it once and felt so dirty, I never played it again.

That sounds vaguely familiar, you hired soldiers and walked around the new world meeting native tribes and convincing them to give you gold so you could sail back and repeat the process?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

That sounds vaguely familiar, you hired soldiers and walked around the new world meeting native tribes and convincing them to give you gold so you could sail back and repeat the process?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/1451/gold-of-the-americas-the-conquest-of-the-new-world/

I don't remember much about it, but you had a Secret Funds coffer that was separate from your main coffer, and the king would always tax the hell out of your main coffer. You'd fill the secret funds by exploiting the natives, but they die off from diseases, so you would import slaves.

They really went all in for the historical accuracy! Also, apparently, if you want to win, be Spain.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don’t understand; what’s so special about Ulm?

Apart from the enormous cathedral I mean

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In the early days on the current paradox community, an Ulm play through got huge and became a meme

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

If you peep the Ukraine thread, this is an idea deliberately cultivated and spread by Canadian and Political Ukrainians that’s got basically no real basis but is very effective at laundering Ukrainian nationalism to squishy western libs.

e: Generic “you”, not “one of the most prolific and insightful posters in that thread” you.

Communism bad still carries alot of water in the west.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"communism bad" is more universally common sense throughout the west than it was at any point during the cold war, it's quite remarkable

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

im_sorry posted:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/1451/gold-of-the-americas-the-conquest-of-the-new-world/

I don't remember much about it, but you had a Secret Funds coffer that was separate from your main coffer, and the king would always tax the hell out of your main coffer. You'd fill the secret funds by exploiting the natives, but they die off from diseases, so you would import slaves.

They really went all in for the historical accuracy! Also, apparently, if you want to win, be Spain.

Ok I must have had a different but equally morally dubious colonialism simulator

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

"communism bad" is more universally common sense throughout the west than it was at any point during the cold war, it's quite remarkable

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

My gut feeling is that the intensification of this sentiment is because domestic ideological opposition (especially actual irl tankies) is growing despite the epic sorkinisms delivered and the end of history is fading what with russia and china obviously not crumbling when they're supposed to combined with the middle east defying both the us and israel in outright warfare.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Instopped watching at him saying "I'm not gonna come out as some famine denying tankie" so I don't know how much insight there is to this video

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
famines arent real

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As a tankie I don't deny famines. They exist and communism ended them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
state of play after the first German and Canadian turns:

the German objective is to take at least two out of the three buildings marked AXIS, while the Canadians need to hold them, for a total of five turns

The Germans went heavy on the objective on the lower-left, crossing eight squads across the street from their starting positions, and only getting one break over defensive fire.

as I'd mentioned, I flubbed the deployment of the mortars, and they were useless across two full turns, and that will likely cost the Canadians dearly

while two Allied squads have broken in the north, there are still five in good order protecting the southern objective, and they're going to hold on for dear life as the storm of stahlhelms approach

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mortars should’ve been deployed in N9 from the start imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the El Alamein video that FF posted in the Modern History thread got me thinking about Hearts of Iron

in the first two games of the series, it was mathematically correct to simply win by spamming infantry+artillery: a Field Marshal could command up to 12 divisions, and an HQ unit doubles that, so you hit a province with as many as 24 divisions per adjacent province that you already control. The damage sustained during combat would be distributed among all the divisions involved, and it would be so diffuse that no other combination of units could hope to match it. You'd simply bleed to death.

Sure, you could leverage the power of tactical air to completely wipe-out divisions, but if anything, that complimented the infantry spam strategy because TAC air is going to perform best when it's bombing already-defeated units retreating from a loss, and if the TAC kills them during such retreats, then it eliminates the operational-level weakness of an infantry-only advance lacking the ability to create encirclements

from a historical standpoint, as Parshall explains in the video, this is not a model of warfare that is without merit. The Americans had no experience fighting the Japanese coming into Guadalcanal, but they were able to prevail largely on the strength of their ability to call down artillery where they needed it, when they needed it. Similarly, the British (so the thinking alleges) had not yet quite figured how to get the infantry and the tankers to work together, so instead they buried the Afrika Korps in a storm of precisely times HE and then used the tanks purely as a corps de chasseur, moving through lines that had already been broken, to chase after units that were already retreating. And of course, we all know how much the Red Army loving loved artillery

but it seems like every iteration of HOI since has been trying to pull away from that model: they keep making these maps with lots of small provinces so you can drive tanks through them and create pockets that wouldn't otherwise be possible if Ukraine is only four provinces or whatever, and they keep tweaking the combat model so that tanks and other forms of mobile warfare become more viable, more feasible. They introduce "frontage" mechanics so only four divisions can fight at any one time (which still isn't necessarily a solution because it just means you have more reserves than the enemy does).

I start to wonder if that in itself is a manifestation of ideology and the sort of Westernized ideal of maneuver warfare that was adopted after the Cold War. Like, if it turns out that it is possible to forego the use of armored divisions in favor of blasting everything to a crater with 105mm and then moving in infantry to defend, six inches at a time, is that so bad? The Germans developed their doctrine as a result of being located in Central Europe and needing to potentially fight one neighbor in the West as big as they were, and one neighbor in the East that was definitely bigger than they were, but should a country be pigeonholed into needing to participate in such tactics if it has the manpower and the industrial capacity to operate otherwise?

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Feb 13, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think you're on to something.

Their tweaking the (unit and combat mechanics) numbers you can also read as a reaction to "so why didn't people historically do this, why were tanks such a big deal in the actual war", which runs into a number of problems. Firstly people back then may have just held incorrect ideas, especially during the interwar years when you can form complex doctrinal ideas (and make your career off of them) which, when it comes time to actually fight for real, turn out to be wrong, or at least inferior. Not to mention this being influenced by ideology. It's difficult to model that in a game where the player gets as much control as they do given that said player gets the power of hindsight. Plus there's an absolutely outsized focus on tanks in pop history skewing the whole understanding of it. Even normal people might be able to kinda name multiple WW2 tanks. Ask WW2 enthusiasts to name 5 different artillery pieces and get blank stares.

Which means the real problem in their model isn't their unit statistics or their combat mechanics or their map modelling or whatever. It's that they give players a 1936 start-date and the freedom to *radically* alter the economy and doctrinal focus of their chosen nation with hardly any real cost. So in real life even if you knew infantry + artillery is the way to go, you still have all these tank plants, might as well make tanks with them, too right? And the number of plants that can produce artillery and shells has some limit as does their rate of increase. And there's doctrine and command and control issues in the way of suddenly promoting a bunch of field marshalls who command 24 divisions each working basically as a single operational unit. If they wanted simulation (they don't, the just want to pretend enough simulation to appeal to weeaboos) these would be the numbers they ought to tweak. They'd need to make mechanics that restrain the player and punish them for pushing too many changes too fast.

But nobody wants that. Almost nobody plays Paradox games trying to be a government bureaucrat. They want to be an omnipresent and omnipotent Volksgeist acting out a power fantasy showing they, fat sweaty nerds, are way more competent and smart than all those real life bozos they had to read about in history class. And also had they been alive back then they'd totally be Hitler's favorite general and Rommel, Guderian and von Mannstein would give them epic high fives after they fixed their plans for them.

If you wanted to do higher level strategy games (don't know if you could even pull off grand strategy tbh, I suspect you can't with only a single player controlling everything) with any degree of realism you'd need a kind of Workers & Resources approach to the whole genre.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 14:11 on Feb 13, 2024

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

HOI4 is basically if Guderian and Halder got to revise history in game form. The player base is all about creating giant cauldrons with their bespoke Panzers against a horde of Reds.

Edit:

Orange Devil posted:

Which means the real problem in their model isn't their unit statistics or their combat mechanics or their map modelling or whatever. It's that they give players a 1936 start-date and the freedom to *radically* alter the economy and doctrinal focus of their chosen nation with hardly any real cost. So in real life even if you knew infantry + artillery is the way to go, you still have all these tank plants, might as well make tanks with them, too right? And the number of plants that can produce artillery and shells has some limit as does their rate of increase. And there's doctrine and command and control issues in the way of suddenly promoting a bunch of field marshalls who command 24 divisions each working basically as a single operational unit. If they wanted simulation (they don't, the just want to pretend enough simulation to appeal to weeaboos) these would be the numbers they ought to tweak. They'd need to make mechanics that restrain the player and punish them for pushing too many changes too fast.

But nobody wants that. Almost nobody plays Paradox games trying to be a government bureaucrat. They want to be an omnipresent and omnipotent Volksgeist acting out a power fantasy showing they, fat sweaty nerds, are way more competent and smart than all those real life bozos they had to read about in history class. And also had they been alive back then they'd totally be Hitler's favorite general and Rommel, Guderian and von Mannstein would give them epic high fives after they fixed their plans for them.

If you wanted to do higher level strategy games (don't know if you could even pull off grand strategy tbh, I suspect you can't with only a single player controlling everything) with any degree of realism you'd need a kind of Workers & Resources approach to the whole genre.

I think you make a really great point here. The game fundamentally allows the player to overwrite what was the material reality/reasons for some historical decisions.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
cauldrons only work against the AI because it’s so loving abysmal. MP hoi4 is a different beast as non-brain dead players will just cut off the schwerepunkts when they get more than province away from the line infantry