Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fruits of the sea posted:

Danish: Mostly mocking the North American drawl and its effect on vowels in spoken Danish. Some kinda mean-spirited takes on North African and Middle Eastern accents.

However humour mostly revolves around how difficult and obtuse Danish is, exaggerating the almost inaudible consonants. There's a kind of perverse pride in how difficult the language is for foreigners. A lot of folks also think it's very funny when Danes struggle to speak English, with a pronounced Danish accent. Probably because a large part of the population are fluent speakers.

Fluent maybe but man is there a difference between how Nikolaj Coster-Waldeau and Mads Mikkelson sound. Nikolaj could drat near pass for a native English speaker and Mads sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles. Is that just Mads or is that the more typical Dane-speaking-English accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What's the right place to ask questions about immigration law in the US, around this subforum? I can't seem to find it.

E: naturally I find it two seconds after posting here. It was in the OP

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Earwicker posted:

in fact none of them has even been on the main Top Chef show they are all from regional Top Chef contests like Kentucky and Portland and New Jersey. and they aren't even the winners of those contests!

This part is a bit confused. Those aren’t regional contests, the “main” US Top Chef show is in a different city each year. Most of the contestants aren’t from that city or region. It’s just a setting.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Can you just adjust the width to your specific preference in your word processor?

Quabzor posted:

I think there's a couple of ways for Google docs anyway, I'm not sure with word.

Laziest way I think is in format options. One of the things is to create columns. Highlight the paragraph or whatever it is go to format, columns' then you select the number of columns you want.

The rulers on top and sides I think also work for this. There's a little triangle and rectangle on each end. By sliding those, you can adjust where text starts and stops. I think those can be adjusted for each line in the document. this seems to format the entire document into one thinner writing space.

E: Word has a similar column feature if you highlight the text and go to layout, columns, select the type of columns you want.

Yeah, I know how to align the text, but I was looking for something that would automatically split multi-syllable words up along with that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

smackfu posted:

This part is a bit confused. Those aren’t regional contests, the “main” US Top Chef show is in a different city each year. Most of the contestants aren’t from that city or region. It’s just a setting.

yea i figured that out later, they're just from seasons i havent seen so i didnt recognize them. still weird that they couldnt get a single american winner involved tho

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why are there so few car colours available?

I was waiting at a train station recently and it struck me that all the cars in the carpark, and all the cars passing by on the road, were white, grey, blue or red. And most of the blues were a greyish blue. If you owned a green, yellow, pink, purple, orange or brown car, it would stand out almost anywhere. You'd spot it a mile off. Why don't cars come in those colours?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I was waiting at a train station recently and it struck me that all the cars in the carpark, and all the cars passing by on the road, were white, grey, blue or red. And most of the blues were a greyish blue. If you owned a green, yellow, pink, purple, orange or brown car, it would stand out almost anywhere. You'd spot it a mile off. Why don't cars come in those colours?

they change over time like fashion, and its also a branding thing to some extent. yellow and brown cars were pretty common in the 70s, so were certain shades of green. brown is actually starting to come back on certain truck lines like the tacoma. there are some cars that come in orange like the nissan cube, imo its pretty ugly tho because its a metallic orange that doesn't look good. i've seen orange datsuns from the early 70s that looked cool though, and there have been orange camaros for quite a while. pink and purple i think just wouldnt sell enough to be stock colors. and then some colors like black will always be in style.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

This doesn't help with the "why" but it confirms your observation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

This is exactly how I feel clothes shopping these days. I went out shopping today in Brooklyn and everything was beige, black, or incredibly subdued colors, womens and mens. On my walk to the train and on the train back home, I looked around and the vast majority of people were wearing a completely neutral palette. I think it's just the moment we're in, aesthetically. Probably a decade+ of Apple's design language inspiring every depiction of the future to be elegant, minimalist black and white palettes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

they change over time like fashion, and its also a branding thing to some extent. yellow and brown cars were pretty common in the 70s, so were certain shades of green. brown is actually starting to come back on certain truck lines like the tacoma. there are some cars that come in orange like the nissan cube, imo its pretty ugly tho because its a metallic orange that doesn't look good. i've seen orange datsuns from the early 70s that looked cool though, and there have been orange camaros for quite a while. pink and purple i think just wouldnt sell enough to be stock colors. and then some colors like black will always be in style.

I think the distribution model is also a factor. Previously, I think you ordered a car and then they spent a few months finishing up the details like paint before you got it. Now, it's all finished at the factory, which means you gotta be able to sell the colour you get at the dealership, which means you get fewer and less offensive colours.

Also because people who own cars loving suck in a bad way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

This doesn't help with the "why" but it confirms your observation.

where is this from? i'd love to see a version going back to the 60's (or however early is possible) if the data is available

also there was a major shift sometime in the mid 90s or so when metallic versions of some of those colors became the dominant look. and now its starting to go back the other way again with some of the browns and grays in 20's cars especially hondas and toyotas

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 11, 2024

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think it's also kind of a circular reasoning thing where if you were to ask a car dealer today why there are no purple cars on the lot, the response would be something along the lines of "Purple cars don't sell, so we don't carry purple cars".

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Part of it is the growth of leasing as a model. Those cars need to be resold quickly after three years, so you can only get them in the most boring colors that will sell easily

So that accounts for all the colors of leased cars, as well as the cars that were previously leased

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've often heard that rarer colors of cars aren't that interesting to thieves since they're too easily found out if they steal those. So that might be an advantage to owning one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

I've often heard that rarer colors of cars aren't that interesting to thieves since they're too easily found out if they steal those. So that might be an advantage to owning one.

Common advice when getting a cargo bike is to personalized the gently caress out of it, for basically that reason.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Speculating, but the marketing of cars as assets, eg truck equity, means that people care more about resale value. Houses used to be more distinct too, but the financialization of that market meant that personalization went out the window when it might hurt resale price. If you plan to sell the car in 3-5 years, do you go for the fuchsia car you really want or the grey car that's easy to sell? And every additional color is additional cost to the manufacturer, so if there aren't enough people that want that fuchsia car they won't bother.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Houses used to be more distinct too

https://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com/

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The thing I've never understood is why car decals aren't more mainstream/common. People love personalising everything they own except their cars it seem like. They do exist but it feels like only businesses and bogans use them, it's not considered a normal thing to do. Surely they aren't so hard to remove when you want to sell the car?

The growth in white/grey cars makes sense to me as a person who lives somewhere that is hot and increasingly hotter in summer. I've never had a white car because I think it's boring but there is certainly an argument for it being less of a furnace when you park it in the sun.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
If you dont have one of those reflective things on the windshield your car will still get plenty hot in the summer.

I think decals are just considered kinda tacky, and most people spend most of their car time on the inside rather than the outside where they can actually see the stuff they put on it. Personally I hate the fact that I have to own a car and would rather live in one of those chinese neighborhoods where you can get all the poo poo you need in a 15 minute walk and take a 300km/hr train to anywhere else you want to go, so I don't care to decorate my stupid expensive car any more than whatever it came with.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

Danish: Mostly mocking the North American drawl and its effect on vowels in spoken Danish. Some kinda mean-spirited takes on North African and Middle Eastern accents.

However humour mostly revolves around how difficult and obtuse Danish is, exaggerating the almost inaudible consonants. There's a kind of perverse pride in how difficult the language is for foreigners. A lot of folks also think it's very funny when Danes struggle to speak English, with a pronounced Danish accent. Probably because a large part of the population are fluent speakers.

Ah, Kamalåså!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykj3Kpm3O0g

I didn't realise this was effectively a whole genre of Danish humour!
!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Ah, Kamalåså!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykj3Kpm3O0g

I didn't realise this was effectively a whole genre of Danish humour!
!

This video was made by a Norwegian tv show to make fun of Danes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Carbon dioxide posted:

There’s also the well known myth that certain colors (Usually said to be red) were more expensive to insure than other colors, so people shied away from those for colors that were cheaper.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

fartknocker posted:

There’s also the well known myth that certain colors (Usually said to be red) were more expensive to insure than other colors, so people shied away from those for colors that were cheaper.

And that because they stood out more you were more likely to be picked out of a group of speeding cars for a ticket.

I personally hate the trend, but you go with what you can get (or spend a bunch of money on aftermarket paint jobs). That's why we have the bright metal red and bright metal blue on ours. Best non boring option from the dealer, but I really miss the Kelly Green option and feel sure my wife would go purple if she could.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I need to upscale composite video to hdmi. I want something in the midpoint between "aliexpress garbage" and "retro gaming ultra low latency for $300". What's a good pick

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Couldn’t they have just staged a play based on Hamlet to do just that

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
It's interesting how the muddled color thing has emerged:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I bought a Ford Ranger Tremor edition a couple of years ago and had to special order because of COVID / supply chain issues. There were actually quite a few colors to choose from: black, white, dark grey, light grey, greenish grey. Boring colors for boring people. I went with Cyber Orange. Is it unique? Yes. Can I immediately spot it in a parking lot? Yes. Does it match the color of highway construction equipment and school buses? Also yes. But at least it's not grey.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think it had the opposite of the intended effect, because Danes frickin love showing me that video :v:

For clarity, I'm a native speaker who grew up in North America, and for whatever reason, even a hint of an accent provokes different reactions from Danes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

socketwrencher posted:

yea the 2020's has introduced a lot of large pickups in muddled browns, greens, and grays. and its occurred at the same time as the trucks becoming absurdly huge. my sister in law used to drive exactly this same truck, but the 2000 model, it was a great little truck for the city because you could haul stuff but also easily park it anywhere like a car. the current ones are about a thousand pounds heavier and at least twenty inches longer. and much more "rugged" looking for some reason like car designers are starting to lean into peoples dystopian expectations for the coming decades (aesthetically, not from a resource consumption standpoint lol)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 11, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Is there a term for this type of paint? I don't know how to describe it except to say it doesn't seem to have any metallic flecks like regular automotive paint.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m personally partial to the idea that we have such drab colours in our culture because we have ceded the colourspace to advertisers. Anything bright and contrasting and saturated we see is likely to be an ad, especially in places with less and less exposure to colours in nature. So everything from the classy to the comforting is left with neutral tones the advertisers don’t want.

Here’s a social media post with citations about it!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“Non-metallic” is one term although that just means the same thing you said.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

tuyop posted:

I’m personally partial to the idea that we have such drab colours in our culture because we have ceded the colourspace to advertisers. Anything bright and contrasting and saturated we see is likely to be an ad, especially in places with less and less exposure to colours in nature. So everything from the classy to the comforting is left with neutral tones the advertisers don’t want.

Here’s a social media post with citations about it!

I feel like this assumes that the way we decorate our homes is not also driven by the dreaded advertisers, which definitely don’t work on me because I’m built different

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i've seen people complaining about that extremely bland mode of home decor on the internet, but i do not know a single person who's home looks like that. or even close.

and all of the examples in there are just staged homes for real estate. i thought the whole point of that was to look like a "blank slate" so that prospective buyers can more easily imagine their own stuff/style in there, not dictating that people actually live like that.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Earwicker posted:

i've seen people complaining about that extremely bland mode of home decor on the internet, but i do not know a single person who's home looks like that. or even close.

and all of the examples in there are just staged homes for real estate. i thought the whole point of that was to look like a "blank slate" so that prospective buyers can more easily imagine their own stuff/style in there, not dictating that people actually live like that.

My father is currently in the process of repainting and replacing all his furniture to chase this aesthetic. It makes me so sad and i have to pretend to be enthused every time he sends me a new photo of More Grey

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's because televisions are black or grey, and since they are the spiritual heart of the idiot's home, everything radiates from them and assigns a colour pattern

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Earwicker posted:

yea the 2020's has introduced a lot of large pickups in muddled browns, greens, and grays. and its occurred at the same time as the trucks becoming absurdly huge. my sister in law used to drive exactly this same truck, but the 2000 model, it was a great little truck for the city because you could haul stuff but also easily park it anywhere like a car. the current ones are about a thousand pounds heavier and at least twenty inches longer. and much more "rugged" looking for some reason like car designers are starting to lean into peoples dystopian expectations for the coming decades (aesthetically, not from a resource consumption standpoint lol)

Yeah those late 90s-early 2000s Tacomas are still my favorite, the slightly elevated PreRunner in particular which was/is not only strong but sleek. My buddy got a deal he couldn't pass up on a used 2013 4-cylinder Tacoma and good grief the size and weight makes it a total slug that struggles to make it up hills (decent low-end torque though).

wash bucket posted:

Is there a term for this type of paint? I don't know how to describe it except to say it doesn't seem to have any metallic flecks like regular automotive paint.

Was wondering the same thing. It's like someone mistakenly ordered too much gray paint and decided to mix it into other colors to get rid of it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Earwicker posted:

yea i figured that out later, they're just from seasons i havent seen so i didnt recognize them. still weird that they couldnt get a single american winner involved tho

Buddha Lo was on the season and was a prior Top Chef main show winner.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

wash bucket posted:

It'd just be gloss(y), wouldn't it? I don't think anyone really sells matte cars anymore, your options are just metallic or something they might call solid (or something along those lines) but is still quite glossy.

socketwrencher posted:

Was wondering the same thing. It's like someone mistakenly ordered too much gray paint and decided to mix it into other colors to get rid of it.

If you wanted a word specifically for that, you'd probably just say 'muted' or 'desaturate;,' but that's not a type of paint, that's just a type of color.

NotNut posted:

Yeah, I know how to align the text, but I was looking for something that would automatically split multi-syllable words up along with that.

You might need to go into the settings and enable it, but I'm pretty sure any word processor can properly handle hyphenation. You might need to also go out of your way to find dictionaries for languages other than the language the word processor came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

My early thirties neighbours live like this too. I've heard him refer to stuff as "straight out of a magazine" as a positive comment on their home decor. These people exist, but at a guess, they're moving in entirely different social circles than people who post on dead gay forums.