Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Stackhats

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i cbf going back through old threads to see, anyone remember if that flag idea got the goatse treatment?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Anidav chalk me up in the 'throw Bucky and his attention-seeking bike path poo poo in the lava' column please

Let's have some serious political news instead:
https://x.com/6NewsAU/status/1756578695538786452?s=20

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Man those colours are so loving cool, you guys are idiots.

Still yet to see a better design.

Recoome posted:

you know what is a really politically savvy move? Thinking the Premier of NSW will give a rats rear end about what some cooked goon and their omnibus cycleway and will suddenly just make it happen

It's all about efficiency.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 11, 2024

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lmao

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Bucky I'm reading your actual article and I really think buses probably carry more than just a couple of passengers you absolutely dolt

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Do you think Bucky's unbearable cravings for attention will conclude with it? That road will simply meet another, and that with another, on and on forever like a fantasy bicycle path lined with helpfully redesigned Aboriginal flags. You will never know peace either way.
somehow it's going to end with us all going to prison and i'm here for it

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Bucky I'm reading your actual article and I really think buses probably carry more than just a couple of passengers you absolutely dolt

Ooh, so I took some advice and sat there for an hour the other night counting busses and passenger numbers, from 6:30 to 7:30, and that's actually pretty close. About 60 busses in total, and over half had 0-5 passengers. 10 had between 5-10 passengers, and only 3 had 20 or more. It really is critically underused.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Look I wasted time reading that but really Bucky you've got no idea on the actual demand or community desire for this which means it won't get done. Unless you want to work with a grassroots campaign with an established support base you are going to eat poo poo and get nothing done.

If you knew what the actual demand is and able to do some kind of forecast you'd already be talking to the actual decision makers rather than spinning your wheels here. Take some of the advice or gently caress off.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Recoome posted:

Look I wasted time reading that but really Bucky you've got no idea on the actual demand or community desire for this which means it won't get done. Unless you want to work with a grassroots campaign with an established support base you are going to eat poo poo and get nothing done.

If you knew what the actual demand is and able to do some kind of forecast you'd already be talking to the actual decision makers rather than spinning your wheels here. Take some of the advice or gently caress off.

He won't take any advice, can we just skip to the gently caress off part please

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
bucky run for either local council or state govt

pls

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

GoldStandardConure posted:

bucky run for either local council or state govt

pls
he is mayor of auspol

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Konomex posted:

Perth has good bike paths, I can cycle from one end of my glorious city to the other. They'll put bike paths next to new highways as well, just hundreds of kilometres of shadeless pavement, no toilets, no water, an as many snakes as there are sticks that also sort of look like snakes. So I don't need your bike chat Bucky, it's not our fault you bike plebs couldn't put together enough pennies to afford a brown coloured foot path with the picture of a bike stencilled onto it.

Hahahahaha you and me both, mate. One near me got torn up recently coz nobody told Main Roads opening up 3 consecutive streets to be freeway entrances might be a bad idea that would turn that entire area into a carpark in the mornings :v:

Recoome posted:

In Bucky's defense (... I cannot believe I am saying that), when it comes to active transport, communities often have no idea what they actually want. Bike paths are often a 'build it and they will come' thing. Waiting for community demand would be like only choosing to build a bridge after "enough" people start swimming across to get to the other side.

Now if people could get off the internet and join a bicycle advocacy group, that'd be nice :v:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Ooh, so I took some advice and sat there for an hour the other night counting busses

this is why bucky should never be banned

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Perhaps the government should simply subsidise cars for the poor cyclists

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Gotta admit, counting passengers on buses at a non peak hour time to determine the usage of bus routes feels like a very well cultivated troll bless you bucky

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

an egg posted:

he is mayor of auspol

you know I thought it’d be hard to get a shittier mayor than basil zempilas but I stand corrected

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Prime Minister Bicycle

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

just get the army reserve to drive the busses

free public transit solved

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

no idea on the actual demand or community desire for this

You're right, people love spending hours in traffic and hundreds of dollars per week on petrol and parking, car-dependence rules, no one would like an alternative that gives people of all ages and abilities complete autonomy, and the reason 80% of people barely ride has nothing to do with the fact that there isn't a cohesive network to get them where they need to go without having to be in touching distance of motor vehicles.

Grassroots campaigns with established support bases have done some wonderful things at the local level, but they haven't produced the network we need, cos the structure of that process isn't designed to. There's one person we need to convince.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I won't stand for Prime Minister Bicycle. He's one of the elite of this two tired society of haves and have nots

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The people demand a third wheel

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Autisanal Cheese posted:

you know I thought it’d be hard to get a shittier mayor than basil zempilas but I stand corrected

You have clearly underestimated the shittiness of loving Basil.

I'd take 10 mayor buckies over a single racism baz any day.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-11/barnaby-joyce-asked-to-explain-canberra-footpath-footage/103453420

ABC News posted:

Opposition Leader Peter Dutton said he would have a conversation with Mr Joyce about the incident this week, but suggested someone should have helped him.

"It's pretty rough when people are walking past somebody who might be in need of support," he said.

"I understand a chalk mark has been drawn on the footpath – it can only happen in Canberra where all those Greens and Labor staffers are."

Two loving tools. :qq:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

...and on the topic of political staffers, JFC Google...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The people demand a third wheel

Vote #3 Penny Farthing Wong

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

SecretOfSteel posted:

I keep trying to come up with a joke based off the old 'but do they call me Dimitri the bridge builder' but I'm not funny enough to make it work

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
These secret WhatsApp hit squads apparently not enjoying the “find out” phase very much

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/cross-party-mps-back-jewish-community-push-to-outlaw-doxxing-20240211-p5f3za.html

quote:

“We would not accept such silencing or intimidation of any other group of Australians, and nor should we accept or condone it for Jewish Australians, no matter how strongly people may differ in their political opinions over this conflict,” Sharma wrote in his letter.

Funny, because accepting the silencing and intimidation of anyone who voiced less than full throated support for war crimes is precisely the action that led directly to this doxxing (which to be clear is also very bad because the people doing it either didn’t take enough care, or more likely were happy to include, any Jewish person they could regardless of whether they took part things)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Yeah they seem pretty cool with silencing and intimidating prominent muslims

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bucky Fullminster posted:

You're right, people love spending hours in traffic and hundreds of dollars per week on petrol and parking, car-dependence rules, no one would like an alternative that gives people of all ages and abilities complete autonomy, and the reason 80% of people barely ride has nothing to do with the fact that there isn't a cohesive network to get them where they need to go without having to be in touching distance of motor vehicles.

Grassroots campaigns with established support bases have done some wonderful things at the local level, but they haven't produced the network we need, cos the structure of that process isn't designed to. There's one person we need to convince.

It's called Public Transport. You know the thing that you do a short hop to then use to get to your destination that already exists to varying degrees?

In Canada you can ride to a bus top, put your bike on the front of the bus - they have bike racks on the front! - and then ride the bus to close to your destination, then hop off and do the last km on bike? It's really cool and so so so less loving stupid than dedicated ferries for bikes when you can already take a bike on a ferry to the very few destinations where that is actually useful. Here's one for free, bike racks on buses

Did you know planners have got this scheme of funneling last km cyclists and pedestrians onto Metro rather than cars? Planners actually ARE working towards car free travel or minimalised car use with a intergrated plan, when the Metro opens to Sydenham it's going to absolutly rule for the north west / north to ride to the bicycle storage racks at a station (accessed with your Opal card) or be able to take your bike on the easy access high frequency service to your destination last km commute.

The reasons why I'm not taking you seriously is that you clearly don't know what exists, what is going to exist in the future, how to integrate it to where people actually *want* to go, where cyclists actually do go now, ideas you present do not stand even the smallest scrutiny and you dont listen to good suggestions. I'd rather have something that works rather than some City of Sydney bunch of rubbish that pissed off riders for how useless it was and dumped riders into nowhere lands or worse dense traffic until the pandemic seemed to actually bring some form of actual planning to new ones

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SecretOfSteel posted:

Seems pretty accurate. Just add "Channel 7" at the front

Right to disconnect is super important, but like Recoome said needs to be enforced in some way. As always it's the younger workers who are new to the workplace that cop it the most as their lovely little dictator bosses contact them at all hours since they've got nothing better to do with their lives. Anything that says "you should be able to go home and disconnect from work" is good in my book.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Autisanal Cheese posted:

He won't take any advice, can we just skip to the gently caress off part please

i just clicked the question mark next to your profile pic and every one of your posts is either a copy/pasted tweet or a single sentence like "seconded" or "get hosed" lol. why are the loudest complainers about bucky the shittiest contributers you've ever seen

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
As it stands with what passed the senate:

An employee can refuse to monitor, read, or respond to out of hours contact unless the employee’s refusal is unreasonable.

What is unreasonable should consider the reason for contact, how it is made, compensation in the terms of employment for it, nature and seniority of the persons role, and personal circumstances (including caregiving etc)

It’s automatically deemed an unreasonable refusal if the contact by the employer was required by law

EBA rights to disconnect that are more favourable than the legislation would still apply

If there’s a dispute over whether an employees refusal was reasonable:
First attempt to resolve it between the parties
Parties may then apply to the fair work commission

The FWC can make an order that the employee stop refusing contact, or for the employer to stop requiring the employee to accept the contact

Failing to comply with that order is a civil remedy provision and carries a potential remedy up to 60 penalty units (~$19,000). So you’re not committing an offence as such, but you can be liable to pay the other party a remedy.

As currently written the fair work act says that contravening an order from the FWC is liable to 12 months imprisonment as a criminal penalty, but excludes a list of several more minor orders. The amendment doesn’t add the new order regarding unreasonable refusals to that list, so if passed right now employers and employees could also go to jail, but Labor have announced that’s not the intent and that they’ll add it to the excluded list.

There is a hook, but it involves getting the FWC to agree with you, and then pursuing the civil remedy provision in court after that if their conduct continues ( for the $ and/or an injunction telling them to gently caress off) so will be out of reach of most employees

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 12, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

yeah someone should have helped barnaby

by pissing on him

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Non Compos Mentis posted:

yeah someone should have helped barnaby

by pissing on him

“Sorry officer, he was so red I thought he was on fire and needed to be put out”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/gronk_gronk/status/1756621082394759525

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my god I need the ever growing ironicat here

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

haha, the right are so much better at politics than the left it's insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

This idiot was a minister in John Howard's Cabinet.