Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

smackfu posted:

I watched a compilation of 8 out of 10 cats do countdown on YouTube and it looked fun and then I watched an actual episode and it was like 70% unfunny banter and 30% gameshow. Is that typical?

Unusually high percentage of gameshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You have to enjoy Jimmy Carr's humor to like 8 out of 10 Cats and that ship sailed a decade ago. Like with many panel shows, watch a compilation of David Mitchell clips and move on with your day.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Oasx posted:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is such an odd show, is it supposed to be an awkward comedy?

I loved it but it's a hard show to describe if you don't love the leads and what they've done previously already.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I loved it but it's a hard show to describe if you don't love the leads and what they've done previously already.
I like the lead actors but I have trouble enjoying the show because I hate the characters they are playing

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

mystes posted:

I like the lead actors but I have trouble enjoying the show because I hate the characters they are playing

Well then it's probably not a show for you problem solved.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thank you for explaining how opinions on media work

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

It's a show halfway between The Americans and Chuck, if it were directed by Richard Linklater

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The needledrop at the end of this week's True Detective is as bad as everyone says it is.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I'm 2 episodes behind, i think should probably drop out before i start telling everyone how much it sucks.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So Peacock released Three Body which was the chinese TV series based on the Three Body Problem as a gently caress you to Netflix. It's got 30 episodes. The first one was good so might be worth watching the rest. I believe it covers the whole trilogy while this first Netflix season is just the first book.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

The needledrop at the end of this week's True Detective is as bad as everyone says it is.

I thought that was great?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Tokyo Vice season 2:
MAKE YOUR OWN COPY OF THE drat TAPE! What a doofus.

Other than that, off to a great start! I can't believe I had to find out this was back by stumbling over it on HBO. Do better, people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You did one better than me, I found out it was back on by reading your post!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

D-Pad posted:

So Peacock released Three Body which was the chinese TV series based on the Three Body Problem as a gently caress you to Netflix. It's got 30 episodes. The first one was good so might be worth watching the rest. I believe it covers the whole trilogy while this first Netflix season is just the first book.

No, it’s just the first book. It’s incredibly slow at times.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

:yeah:

I cracked up laughing when I heard it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rageaholic posted:

:yeah:

I cracked up laughing when I heard it

I admit I wasn't 100% paying attention, what part are you guys talking about?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a moody cover of Save Tonight

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Slow covers are tired AF but I don't really see why that one is particularly egregious or funny.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That may have been the issue, I was familiar with Donald Glover by name, but have never really seen anything with him in it, and didn’t know Maya Erskine at all.

I finished the show, and I thought it decent overall.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Argue posted:

It's a show halfway between The Americans and Chuck, if it were directed by Richard Linklater

That's pretty close besides Chuck but maybe that show changes as it goes. I never made it past the first few episodes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa Halo season 2 evokes Star Trek DS9 in a big way right from the start. There are some folks who live in a planet, who were previously forced to move there by space Marines for their protection from aliens. They state they are unwilling to relocate because apparently this lovely planet they don't like is sacred and it's against their faith to abandon a planet when poo poo is bad because it's like "abandoning a sick baby or elderly parent."

So then a bunch of warriors die and also the townfolk and their village because the aliens attack like they said.

It's just like the Maquis, in that I'm okay with the people on the planet being required to move there's nothing special about that rock. :perjury:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of Halo season 2, does it do a good job of recapping what happened in season 1?

I have some older family members who enjoyed season 1 but I doubt they remember what the hell happened at this point.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of Halo season 2, does it do a good job of recapping what happened in season 1?

I have some older family members who enjoyed season 1 but I doubt they remember what the hell happened at this point.

It does not. There isn't even a "previously on", it just goes as if you just finished the season moments before.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

swickles posted:

It does not. There isn't even a "previously on", it just goes as if you just finished the season moments before.

That seems a little short-sighted of them, considering season 1 ended almost two years ago.

Thanks for the info.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't believe The Conners is on season 6 already.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Hughmoris posted:

That seems a little short-sighted of them, considering season 1 ended almost two years ago.

Thanks for the info.

And it was very convoluted

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't they say they were retconning a lot of it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They're retconning the convoluted Conners

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Bring back Tom Arnold's character

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Can't believe The Conners is on season 6 already.

Is Darlene still the loving worst

mystes
May 31, 2006

I only watched like 3 episodes of season 1 of halo and I've watched the first two episodes of season 2 and while it's clearly referencing a bunch of stuff that happened in season 1 I don't think it really matters that much if you haven't seen it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I can't believe La Brea is still on, 3rd season I think. I watched a few early episodes and it was pretty goofy! It just boggles my mind that is still on but we can't have nice things like more Wayne or Raised By Wolves.

Also, how is Wayward Pines? The first few episodes are alright. Is it worth the time?

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 12, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you liked the first few episodes you may as well finish the season. Skip the second.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Watch From instead.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mystes posted:

I only watched like 3 episodes of season 1 of halo and I've watched the first two episodes of season 2 and while it's clearly referencing a bunch of stuff that happened in season 1 I don't think it really matters that much if you haven't seen it.

I'd say season 2 feels like a soft reboot. Or like an FPS sequel that doesn't care if you played the first one because it's just a dumbass game about shooting whatever who cares.
.they are referencing season 1 stuff, but so far it doesn't matter and it might as well be referencing things cryptically to setup for later or show peoples pathos now. Halsey is some scientists lady who doesn't work there anymore. Cortana is an AI chip thing that went a bit rogue. The space Marines are fighting aliens and space Chapelle is a shady ex master chief who is obsessed with finding someone.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

SimonChris posted:

Tokyo Vice season 2:
MAKE YOUR OWN COPY OF THE drat TAPE! What a doofus.

Other than that, off to a great start! I can't believe I had to find out this was back by stumbling over it on HBO. Do better, people.

That was frustrating wasn't it, like anyone could see that coming a mile away. Anyway it's good to have this show back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like I was speculating about this last year and a bunch of you said I was crazy for thinking this, but news from the network upfronts is that Reservation Dogs was prematurely ended. The intention was for the show to go for five seasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They did a good job making it sound like they were ending it of their own choice at a good spot. That said, I could easily spend another few seasons with everyone and there were more stories or characters they could get into for sure.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Khanstant posted:

master chief

Is master chief short for Master Chief Petty Officer?

I think it's cool that you play an NCO in those games.

And that technically every single 22 year old sublieutenant outranks him even though they probably know better than to ever pull that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

They did a good job making it sound like they were ending it of their own choice at a good spot.

IMO this is just PR. A bunch of shows last year said the same thing and I think the only one I believed was the one for Barry. Particularly when you have stories coming out about the actors being confused e.g. Sarah Snook finding out that Succession was ending partway through the table read for the finale.