Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my medium corp in biotech matches 100% up to 6% and then also gives you another 3% gratis, vesting over 5 years but once you vest you are permanently vested on all future contributions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Since we’re posting, mine is a straight forward 100% of 6% match, 3 year cliff vesting (then it’s all yours going forward).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my very huge fortune 500 software company matches 50% of your first 6% of salary. The cheapskates.
There's also an ESPP and it's only a 5% discount on the day of purchase price. The cheapskates.

there are other benefits to working here but yeah this bit is like, underwhelming.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My large company does 5 or 6% matching and in my experience that's pretty standard. My brother works for a company that matches like 50% and I'm insanely jealous.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I appreciate set it and forget it 401k deposits because, since I’m calibrated to maxing out my personal contributions and budget off what’s hitting my bank account, it’s a nice “surprise” to check the 2023 summary and see something like $30k of contributions instead of $22.5k.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I work in state government and I get a big 0% match, but they do take 6% of every paycheck for a pension program so I guess it evens out.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
You should really be negotiating totally compensation and not a 401k match. Who cares if they don’t match much if they pay more than everyone else? My wife’s 11% match is less $ than my 5% match. Do employers even negotiate a match?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Loan Dusty Road posted:

You should really be negotiating totally compensation and not a 401k match. Who cares if they don’t match much if they pay more than everyone else? My wife’s 11% match is less $ than my 5% match. Do employers even negotiate a match?
401K match is important because it's tax advantaged and not something you can contribute to on your own, outside of the standard $22.5K.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
My gigantic public hospital matches all of up to 2% into a 403(b), but we also have a cash balance pension plan to which they put 5-10% per year based on age, that I can get paid out as a lump sum when I leave. Is there a way to roll that into a tax-advantaged account? Shouldn't come up for a few years, but the matching talk made me think of it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mons Hubris posted:

I work in state government and I get a big 0% match, but they do take 6% of every paycheck for a pension program so I guess it evens out.

State govt here too, no match but ~9% used for pension. Still trying to shovel contributions into 457b anyway, split between traditional and Roth.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Yes, that's what the person who started this conversation is doing:

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I appreciate the numbers. I will use these as a baseline for negotiations, it’s good to know if the match is substandard to push for higher salary or other benefits

But in order to negotiate total compensation, you kind of need to know what the 401k match is and also how it compares in your industry, because that's part of the package.

e:

SpartanIvy posted:

My large company does 5 or 6% matching and in my experience that's pretty standard. My brother works for a company that matches like 50% and I'm insanely jealous.

I think you're mixing up two numbers here. The 5-6% number refers to how much percentage of your salary is eligible for matching. So 100k salary means 5-6k is eligible for matching. The 50% most likely refers to how much they contribute for the match. So 50% of 6% means on a 100k salary, you put in 6k and the company matches 50% of that, so they put in 3k. Your brother's company is most likely contributing 50% on some % up to 10% of their salary at most, which is more or less in line with what everyone else has posted here.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 10, 2024

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Space Fish posted:

State govt here too, no match but ~9% used for pension. Still trying to shovel contributions into 457b anyway, split between traditional and Roth.

State pension here too. 2% / year, average of top three or five years, can't remember. I lucked out with a previous employer, where I worked 25-35, that had a whopping 12% 401k match so I managed a very healthy and very early chunk there. It'll be an even 50% pension + projected 4 or 5 mil in a 401k when I retire.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I will say, as my salary has increased, 6% of it has become a more meaningful number relative to the 401K max.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My old R1 university employer matched 9% (10% over 40) and then had a supplemental match of 5% up to the IRS 401k match.

Of course, we were paid in prestige, not dollars.

Current employer does 6%, plus 10% of the IRS matching maximum goes in to a cash balance plan. They also let us do a mega backdoor Roth, which is nice.

Less prestige though.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The Vanguard Cash Plus account is finally in general availability.

Looks worse than the Fidelity CMA in almost every way but one: the default FDIC sweep account pays 4.7% @ Vanguard. Pretty bare bones feature wise, though.

I think it might be a good alternative to a HYSA for someone who already has a Vanguard account. Other than that... not much there that isnt done better elsewhere.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It’s worse than the VMFXX sweep account in my regular brokerage account, I don’t get it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some paranoids need that FDIC guarantee

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think you're mixing up two numbers here. The 5-6% number refers to how much percentage of your salary is eligible for matching. So 100k salary means 5-6k is eligible for matching. The 50% most likely refers to how much they contribute for the match. So 50% of 6% means on a 100k salary, you put in 6k and the company matches 50% of that, so they put in 3k. Your brother's company is most likely contributing 50% on some % up to 10% of their salary at most, which is more or less in line with what everyone else has posted here.
You're right I'm kind of comparing apples and oranges, but his apples are much better than my oranges. As he explained it to me, they match 50% of contributions up to the IRS limit. So with a $22.5K limit that he reaches, they are contributing another $11.25K on top of that for a total combined 401K contribution of $33.75K for the year.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Mu Zeta posted:

Some paranoids need that FDIC guarantee

Not that it matters for the average user, but even then the FDIC limit is lower than Fidelity's sweep program.

I love Vanguard but Fidelity really has become a great one-stop shop for me, especially since I started using the Vanguard ETF's for a 3-fund portfolio.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's just a fact that Vanguard sucks when it comes to new features or just being user friendly. The new Vanguard app is awful and doesn't let you do simple things like buy treasury bills or change your cost basis from FIFO to MinTax. You still have to log into the website for full functionality.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Why would you use anything besides specid? I guess basically min tax but manual.

I think vanguard's shittiness is a bit overblown. For very boring investing I do it works well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Jabarto posted:

I love Vanguard but Fidelity really has become a great one-stop shop for me, especially since I started using the Vanguard ETF's for a 3-fund portfolio.

this has been my experience too, we were ride or die vanguard but now have jettisoned vanguard and ally for fidelity because they are such a no bs one stop shop

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I will say Vanguard's money market funds have unbeatable returns. The Fidelity ones have ER's around 0.4, which is pretty high even if the CMA features more than make up for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

spwrozek posted:

Why would you use anything besides specid? I guess basically min tax but manual.

I think vanguard's shittiness is a bit overblown. For very boring investing I do it works well.

Vanguard is fine for me most of the time but I can't figure out how to buy T bills or CDs with the app.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I know I’m old because I could not give less of a poo poo about the mobile apps for my brokerage accounts, or even my bank accounts tbh. I do all that poo poo on the web on a PC. :corsair:

And while Vanguard’s website isn’t winning awards it’s perfectly fine for touching like once a month to do something. In fact they’re kind of making it worse by trying to modernize and I like the old stodgy pages that are high information density.

I have a Fidelity account too for reasons and their site is a bit better, and if I was starting over from scratch I might choose them over Vanguard in 2024, but 10-15 years ago they weren’t as competitive on low/no fee stuff and there’s no real incentive to deal with the hassle of switching. And I still have some allegiance to Vanguard for being what forced the likes of Fidelity to drop their fees.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Guinness posted:

I know I’m old because I could not give less of a poo poo about the mobile apps for my brokerage accounts, or even my bank accounts tbh. I do all that poo poo on the web on a PC. :corsair:

And while Vanguard’s website isn’t winning awards it’s perfectly fine for touching like once a month to do something. In fact they’re kind of making it worse by trying to modernize and I like the old stodgy pages that are high information density
This is where I'm at. Complaining that the mobile app doesn't have complete feature parity seems silly when you can trivially (and probably more effectively) achieve your intent by hopping on an actual computer. Are folks wanting to buy T-bills on their phone just to pass idle time standing in line or on the shitter?

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
What’s the easiest way to migrate my brokerage and Roth IRA from Vanguard to Fidelity? (Keeping my i401k at Vanguard since it’s in their TDF) I don’t really care too much about the mobile app, but Fidelity’s Fully-Paid Lending of shares requiring $25k vs &5min is a pretty big difference. It’s not going to be a sudden windfall of course, but the extra % gain helps. I need a good 2% credit card to replace my lovely 1% Discover too.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Citi double Cash is one of the easiest 2% cash back cards. No hoops or categories.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Jabarto posted:

I will say Vanguard's money market funds have unbeatable returns. The Fidelity ones have ER's around 0.4, which is pretty high even if the CMA features more than make up for it.

I mean actual yield is net of fees, so the gap of .1% between yields is more relevant than the .3% between fees imo. Just up to you whether the .1% is worth the CMA stuff

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Valicious posted:

What’s the easiest way to migrate my brokerage and Roth IRA from Vanguard to Fidelity? (Keeping my i401k at Vanguard since it’s in their TDF) I don’t really care too much about the mobile app, but Fidelity’s Fully-Paid Lending of shares requiring $25k vs &5min is a pretty big difference. It’s not going to be a sudden windfall of course, but the extra % gain helps. I need a good 2% credit card to replace my lovely 1% Discover too.

Use this. https://www.fidelity.com/customer-service/transfer-assets

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

spwrozek posted:

Citi double Cash is one of the easiest 2% cash back cards. No hoops or categories.

Since we're on the topic of fidelity, they also have a 2% flat rewards card that is great for any purchases that don't qualify for higher returns on cards with categories. Goes straight into your brokerage account and invested in your money market fund.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is where I'm at. Complaining that the mobile app doesn't have complete feature parity seems silly when you can trivially (and probably more effectively) achieve your intent by hopping on an actual computer. Are folks wanting to buy T-bills on their phone just to pass idle time standing in line or on the shitter?

What’s a computer?

https://youtu.be/zfR_Jj4grZE?feature=shared

For the record, I pretty much agree with both that the Vanguard app sucks, and also it isn’t make or break. Can’t really blame anyone for switching though, they’re a big enough company where they should have a better app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It’s easier to use the Fidelity app for me because logging on on my computer means I need to open up my Fidelity app and authenticate (FaceID) to log in just to tap on the button that says “yes let me log in via computer”. At that point I’m already in the app so what’s the point.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ROJO posted:

Since we're on the topic of fidelity, they also have a 2% flat rewards card that is great for any purchases that don't qualify for higher returns on cards with categories. Goes straight into your brokerage account and invested in your money market fund.

That is nice of you are over at fidelity.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting article about how I Bonds eventually mature after 30 years, and how this can be a surprise tax bill if you aren’t paying attention.

https://tipswatch.com/2024/02/04/long-time-i-bond-investors-face-a-tax-time-bomb

Also this bit makes me wish I had a time machine:
“When I Bonds were first created in the fall of 1998, the purchase limit was $30,000 per person per year, and the Treasury even allowed credit cards to be used for purchases with no fees. (Air miles!) This means couples could buy $60,000 in I Bonds each year in those early years.”

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
It has always amused me that the IBond purchase limit itself isn’t indexed to inflation.

Chiming in with my 401k data point - 2.5% fixed employer contribution plus an additional 4% match at a 4employer:7employee ratio. Mega backdoor is enabled with 4 in service rollovers per year allowed. Somehow the mega backdoor passes discrimination testing because I have never had money returned to me.

Also a Citi doublecash user and I use it for everything, can’t be bothered to min/max rewards.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Guinness posted:

And while Vanguard’s website isn’t winning awards it’s perfectly fine for touching like once a month to do something. In fact they’re kind of making it worse by trying to modernize and I like the old stodgy pages that are high information density.

I have a Fidelity account too for reasons and their site is a bit better, and if I was starting over from scratch I might choose them over Vanguard in 2024, but 10-15 years ago they weren’t as competitive on low/no fee stuff and there’s no real incentive to deal with the hassle of switching. And I still have some allegiance to Vanguard for being what forced the likes of Fidelity to drop their fees.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I feel these two posts. I don't really care about the Vanguard mobile app that much, since as a millennial, I use a "real" computer for "serious business." If anything, the shittyness prevents me from doing something dumb like fooling around with options.

I have various accounts spread between Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, and TIAA. Our checking account is with Schwab, but I occasionally flirt with the idea of switching to Fidelity's CMA since we keep a decent amount of float in our checking account so my wife doesn't overdraft us when buying berries. I then think about the pain of switching over all of the autopays and figure I'll wait another year to see if Schwab finally does something similar.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Everyone knows you use a Mac for whimsical creative things and a PC for boring business things, geez. Business things on your phone? Are you mental?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

an iksar marauder posted:

Everyone knows you use a Mac for whimsical creative things and a PC for boring business things, geez. Business things on your phone? Are you mental?

What if you don’t have an iPhone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Then you'll never break out as a musician and be able to eventually stop dancing at the Coyote Ugly