Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
How lucky we all were to get to share just a little bit of Yellow and Blue's beautiful story together. I'm so sorry for your loss, CL. Sending you and the flock lots of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I am so sorry to hear about your loss CL, you filled her with love until the end and I think thats the best any of us could hope for <3

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Deepest condolences; what an amazing, tenacious little ray of sunshine that Yellow was.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Blue has been...OK. Sometimes he'll get stuck in a flock calling loop, but he isn't frantically scrambling around the cage less while he does it. I've not converted the cage back to its full sized configuration with toys and whatnot, because I don't want to stress him out.

As a person diagnosed with OCD before I got glasses at age seven, I feel like I can say this without catching heat for throwing around the term. I absolutely think parrots have OCD. They are creatures of routine in a way that is impossible to describe with words, and have some incredibly bizarre rituals.

With that said, I believe there is one way to alter OCD parrot behavior - confuse them out of it. This is how my "egg crates to prevent laying" works. Serra could have absolutely tore through those crates and made a nest. But she was too busy being confused to make a new routine.

So I have apologized profusely to Serra for what I did, before and after it happened.

I forced her on a playdate.

This is her staring daggers at me, while Blue stares heart-emoji eyes at her.

This lasted for about five minutes. Then Blue went into his horny mode, and started chasing the parakeet equivalent of Lizzo around the cage while trying to either peck her head or bite her tail.

Now Blue is actually contentedly chewing away at the calcium block, acting just fine.

Oh God, look at this poo poo. BRB, going to chase an idiot around her own cage until she forgets about roosting.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Echoing what others have said, and so sorry for your loss, Log. We should all be so lucky to be so cared for and to pass while surrounded by love.

Hoping Serra and Blue (and you) adjust well

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Believe it or not, my plot is working.

Yesterday, during some out of the cage time for Serra, Blue came out. He didn't just come out, he actually flew around! Dude isn't a very good flier, but still made a good effort of it. He eventually got on my finger to get carried back to his cage. Even though he did make a big show of scooting a couple of inches away every time my finger got close to him. But juuuuust a couple inches.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Keep working with him and he'll keep rewarding you back.

I've decided on the name Coulis for the blue boy. I haven't been posting much about him but he is an absolute delight. He's very affectionate, he flies onto my finger, he plays with absolutely every single toy I make him. Dijon and Coulis even encouraged one another to give pellets a try and they both love them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PKeZpo70I

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is staring at what might possibly be the most terrifying thing she has ever encountered...a parakeet roughly less than half of her bodyweight.

:derptiel:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I didn't post about it at the time because I was incredibly sad, but early last year sweet little Rainbow budgie started squeaking in her sleep. Several hundred dollars, some medication and a whole bunch of vet visits later, I still had no idea why she was ill other than "respiratory distress" and over the next four months she deteriorated to the point where the kindest thing to do was to have her put to sleep. Here she is before she got sick <3

Since then, her mate Tinky has been super interested in my cockatiel Tux. I was concerned that Tinky would be lonely, but he seems to be content with Tux's company.

Their cages are next to each other and since Rainbow's passing Tinky has been imitating most of Tux's vocalisations, including wolf whistles and peek a boos. We've had Tinky for 5 or so years now and he's never sounded like anything but a budgie.

Tux, however is not thrilled with Tinky's attentions and any time Tinky moves towards him, he tries to get out of the way as quickly as possible. Tinky doesn't seem worried about this at all and continues to try and serenade Tux through the bars of their cages. Maybe one day Tux might be a little more interested in being friends with Tinky, I am hopeful of this but realise it might never happen. Anyway, that photo of Serra reminded me so much of my little flock here I wanted to share.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 6, 2024

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Serra is staring at what might possibly be the most terrifying thing she has ever encountered...a parakeet roughly less than half of her bodyweight.

:derptiel:

To be fair I would be also be scared of a small horny blue creature that looked vaguely but not entirely like myself

I wonder if parrots get the Uncanny Valley effect when they see other parrot species.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Budgies have been described as like 20lb of bird in a 1 ounce package.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

bee posted:

I didn't post about it at the time because I was incredibly sad, but early last year sweet little Rainbow budgie started squeaking in her sleep. Several hundred dollars, some medication and a whole bunch of vet visits later, I still had no idea why she was ill other than "respiratory distress" and over the next four months she deteriorated to the point where the kindest thing to do was to have her put to sleep. Here she is before she got sick <3

Since then, her mate Tinky has been super interested in my cockatiel Tux. I was concerned that Tinky would be lonely, but he seems to be content with Tux's company.

Their cages are next to each other and since Rainbow's passing Tinky has been imitating most of Tux's vocalisations, including wolf whistles and peek a boos. We've had Tinky for 5 or so years now and he's never sounded like anything but a budgie.

Tux, however is not thrilled with Tinky's attentions and any time Tinky moves towards him, he tries to get out of the way as quickly as possible. Tinky doesn't seem worried about this at all and continues to try and serenade Tux through the bars of their cages. Maybe one day Tux might be a little more interested in being friends with Tinky, I am hopeful of this but realise it might never happen. Anyway, that photo of Serra reminded me so much of my little flock here I wanted to share.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your little budgie. She passed while loved, and we couldn't ask for more.

Male parakeets are the epitome of Bird Madness - Horny Edition. My last male parakeets absolutely loved my last lady cockatiel. She was terrified of him.

That just seems to be the dynamic, which transcends space and time. :derptiel:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Dijon has yet to become horny and he's over a year. Coulis has already tried to mount him. Dijon was piiiiissssed

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Rainbow was a very beautiful soul. I'm sorry, bee.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Thank you. The memory of her wandering around the bottom of her cage, doing little rolls onto her back and bicycling her legs in the air will always stay with me. She was a sweet girl :3:

Tinky is having some new feathers come in after his moult and he's been a bit grumpy this week. Can't say I blame him though, those things look itchy.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

bee posted:

Thank you. The memory of her wandering around the bottom of her cage, doing little rolls onto her back and bicycling her legs in the air will always stay with me. She was a sweet girl :3:

Tinky is having some new feathers come in after his moult and he's been a bit grumpy this week. Can't say I blame him though, those things look itchy.

The vet that saw Dijon managed to hold him still in her hands while she scratched all the pins off while holding conversation with me lol.

I know what you mean. I'll always remember Banane's chicken mcnugget dance, Mayo's love of bird science and... well, I'll remember Pesto always too.

TIME TO CRY!!!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

No cry only beeps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtq_0ME3Vnw

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

so many stories to tell!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My efforts to tempt Blue into becoming part of the family are bearing fruit. This is the third or fourth consecutive day he has left the cage to fly.

Yet this is the first time he acted as though he may land on Pops...where Serra was sitting on his knee.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Mr. Blue Doofus.

I haven't even introduced millet to the equation yet, and step-up training is progressing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

My efforts to tempt Blue into becoming part of the family are bearing fruit. This is the third or fourth consecutive day he has left the cage to fly.

Yet this is the first time he acted as though he may land on Pops...where Serra was sitting on his knee.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Mr. Blue Doofus.

I haven't even introduced millet to the equation yet, and step-up training is progressing.

aww, buddy. yeah! you're not alone!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Have not been posting much, but I'm reading and thinking of all of you. Been a lot of heartbreak in here.

Had my gallbladder out. Cockatiels are terrible nurses.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/HrNlZQa.mp4

Opal would like you to know: Bird

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I decide to play “mirror” with this macaw at my work.

He lifts his wing, I lift my arm.

He bobs his head, I bob my head.

He climbs down as close as he can get and shits.

I can’t do that here. He wins.

platzapS fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 10, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

The little wing stretches :3:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Pooping on the toilet paper for easy disposal

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Anyone else reuse the poop? We have a sort of hammock set up in the cage for easier cleaning and I dump in potting soil or the yard. I've got a ground cherry where the soil mix was heavily incorporated with budgie poo poo and its been growing fantastically.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sometimes I put the poop in with my Christmas cactus, and it seems to be thriving.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s a lovely thought but i can’t be arsed and just toss it in the compost bin

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

mediaphage posted:

it’s a lovely thought but i can’t be arsed and just toss it in the compost bin

Hey that works too. We've done that as well but it's been easier to dump the hammock outside then try to get it all into our little bin.

RoboRodent posted:

Sometimes I put the poop in with my Christmas cactus, and it seems to be thriving.
I think all of our houseplants have some amount of poo in them at this point. At least everything but the orchids

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not sure where else to ask this but I am looking for some sort of starting point to read more about birdhouses.

I live right up next to a really great stretch of New England forest and have a ton of diverse birds at our feeder and in the woods beyond. I am also a fairly decent amateur woodworker and I think it would be fun to build and put up some birdhouses on the property.

What I'd like to know are if there are any good resources for optimal sizes/dimensions for birdhouses for different types of birds along with advice on where to place them to be most likely to be used? I don't care about these being ornamental or interesting looking per se, just more looking for some set of parameters of "you have wood thrushes and they want something roughly this size mounted this height and away from x,y,z etc if possible. Any info out there?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I can offer no information on size and shape, but I have heard that it is important for the base to be openable. Apparently you should clear out the bottom of a nestbox each season because letting old nesting material roll over year-to-year risks infection and pest problems.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pookah posted:

I can offer no information on size and shape, but I have heard that it is important for the base to be openable. Apparently you should clear out the bottom of a nestbox each season because letting old nesting material roll over year-to-year risks infection and pest problems.

Nice yeah stuff like this and things relevant to the species its meant for is kinda what I would like. Tons of ornamental birdhouses of questionable / little actual utility for the birds isn't what I am after tbh.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

That Works posted:

Nice yeah stuff like this and things relevant to the species its meant for is kinda what I would like. Tons of ornamental birdhouses of questionable / little actual utility for the birds isn't what I am after tbh.

You could try the birding thread over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566028

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A Story in Three Parts -

He plottin'

He bad at flyin'

OH GOD WHAT IS THAT ON MY CAGE?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My birds have thankfully never shown any interest in the floor. They've landed (mistakenly) a handful of times, and each time has piqued their curiosity and they've seemed to enjoy the newly discovered world. But I usually get them to step up before they can explore too much because I can't even begin to imagine the sheer nightmare of having two hormonal female budgies running about under sofas, chairs, cabinets. They're bad enough just confined to the sky.