Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Book of Boba Fett has some good stuff in it but half of that doesn't involve Boba at all and none of it involves the nominal main plot of him becoming a crime lord.

Not even really a crime lord because that would be interesting and God forbid we have a main character who isn't explicitly heroic after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Not even really a crime lord because that would be interesting and God forbid we have a main character who isn't explicitly heroic after all.

Auralnauts did not miss

quote:

He doesn't take no for an answer... unless he's asked to.

And then he does.

Because it's the right thing to do, and the polite thing to do.

He stops at nothing to defeat his enemies... and if he fails, he is man enough to pay someone more capable and better equipped to handle it for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CseVAyj0PsU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

FlamingLiberal posted:

TPM is getting a theatrical re-release in May for its 25th anniversary

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-the-phantom-menace-to-return-to-theaters-this-may-for-its-25th-anniversary

Doesn't all of that late 90s CGI look like garbage now? The last time I saw a clip from one of the big fight scenes near the end I remember it looking like trash.

A lot of TPM was practical, or at least green screen extensions on practical sets

Overall I think the prequels don’t look good on the level of cinematography, BUT lots of complaints about the visuals are just plain incorrect. As mentioned earlier, those fields of Naboo were plate shots from real locations. Or one other complaint I remember hearing circa-2002 was how fake Padme’s Naboo lake house looked, except that was a real location in Italy.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'd entirely forgotten that Danny Trejo appeared in BoBF ever so briefly.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

nine-gear crow posted:

The final arc of Season 3 is probably the best of the season, yeah. Over all, Season 3 is perfectly middle of the road Okay for a Star Wars anything. Nothing ground breaking, but it does what it does mostly competently. People are also just insufferably miserable about Star Wars online as a default state now, and they've collectively Overton Window'd Attack of the Clones into be a good movie somehow, so the curve we are grading all of Star Wars on now is shaped like the goddamn euthanasia coaster.

Nah; Attack Of The Clones is a perfectly good movie that tells a complete story without any major issues. Complaints are, like, “this fascist incel is an awful, whiny poo poo - yet Padme and the Jedi condone his behaviour. Don’t they realize he’s eventually going to kill them???” Like it must be some kind of mistake, and not the basic point of the story.

(Otherwise, it’s minor who-gives-a-poo poo stuff like digital cameras being worse 20 years ago.)

Season 3 Manderlorian is better than most (non-Andor) Starwars TV, but it’s also terribly padded with filler episodes. These not only fail to advance the overall narrative, but detract from what story does exist. No matter how much you dislike a given prequel movie, you gotta admit there’s no filler. Mander S3 is like 50% skippable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Iuia5560Y

Empire Wreckers aka Robot Style had a good video about why Attack of the Clones (and specifically the CGI) looks like it does.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Doesn't all of that late 90s CGI look like garbage now? The last time I saw a clip from one of the big fight scenes near the end I remember it looking like trash.

It's showing its age in some areas but plenty of it still looks good (or good enough). The podrace is a mix of miniatures, live action, and a mix of CG approaches (from pure CGI to various compositing techniques etc) and it looks great.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like robot style and his videos but he really lost me in the home stretch of the most recent one. If you think klaud is the standout alien design of star wars 9, a movie with babu in it, I struggle to see how we can be homies

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like robot style and his videos but he really lost me in the home stretch of the most recent one. If you think klaud is the standout alien design of star wars 9, a movie with babu in it, I struggle to see how we can be homies

In fairness, he seems to rank Babu a close 2nd.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
TPM manages to have Maul show up and reveal his double sided lightsaber without it coming off as a cheesy, cheap upping of stakes like the man who is made of lightsabers and I think it should be commended on that. (Doesn't hurt that the bowstaff choreography is excellent and they have Duel of the Fates blowing your ears apart)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The saberstaff was cool exactly one time, when Maul did it. And that should have been the only time it happened in all of Star Wars.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat shame they spoiled the moment in all the promotional stuff for the movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

TPM is getting a theatrical re-release in May for its 25th anniversary

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-the-phantom-menace-to-return-to-theaters-this-may-for-its-25th-anniversary

I may not care for the prequels overall but TPM would still be a helluva movie to watch in theatres again.

Well... unless any memelords in the audience try turning it into a Rocky Horror Picture Show screening.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I will have a double-sized Jar-Jar marionette and will sync it up with Jar-Jar scenes while standing directly in front of the screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wanna sit in one of those 4d movie chairs that moves around and sprays you with water

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I wanna sit in one of those 4d movie chairs that moves around and sprays you with water

Keep your mouth, nostrils, and eyes closed for anything a movie theatre sprays at you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My fanfiction is that all the crime-lording was just cover to get revenge on the Pikes and there's a scene when he's asked if he knew and he says yes that's the point and everyone realizes they're following just an angry dude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

My fanfiction is that all the crime-lording was just cover to get revenge on the Pikes and there's a scene when he's asked if he knew and he says yes that's the point and everyone realizes they're following just an angry dude.

Boba Fett burning through a crime empire's resources to get justice for his fallen friends and then tossing away the husk of what was left and moving on elsewhere with Fennic would have been an awesome story to follow.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lobok posted:

Keep your mouth, nostrils, and eyes closed for anything a movie theatre sprays at you.

I saw Godzilla: Minus One in 4DX. They give you safety glasses. Wear them.

Minus One was an amazing film. Only the original is clearly a better kaiju film, and it's a tossup between it and Shin Godzilla for second place. It might still be in theaters near you, if you're lucky.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Boba Fett burning through a crime empire's resources to get justice for his fallen friends and then tossing away the husk of what was left and moving on elsewhere with Fennic would have been an awesome story to follow.

i feel its prestige tv syndrome. they just kinda jabbed down on paper "boba fett crime lord????" and kinda desperately expanding on that to try to hit their episode target. Even then they needed a bunch of baby yoda filler.

if they had instead run plot at a breakneck pace, picking up a crime empire and discarding it within an episode trilogy ala Andor... that could've been amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What if

The godfather had to be rescued by the cast of Grease

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

even the mod squad could have been cool if there was a real disconnect between how shiny their bikes were and their actual actions. they're a youth gang! give them some swagger and some edge! get them into fights!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

even the mod squad could have been cool if there was a real disconnect between how shiny their bikes were and their actual actions. they're a youth gang! give them some swagger and some edge! get them into fights!

Disney exec, probably: "If we give these characters 'edge' then the children it's for will cut themselves on it."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Should have had three blaster squibs go off on his back, he gets off one sick shot then dies immediately

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i would have laughed and clapped

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
ACTUALLY the spin gave his blaster bolt extra momentum

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
On Tatooine, spinning is the best trick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

ACTUALLY the spin gave his blaster bolt extra momentum

Ah, see, I thought he was trying to curve the bolt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Put some English on it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought goons were all about "show don't tell" and here's the character showing you he's part of a gang to be cool and you're all like "This is stupid"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought goons were all about "show don't tell" and here's the character showing you he's part of a gang to be cool and you're all like "This is stupid"

No, I don't think us goons have actually progressed past Show and Tell.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ynohtna posted:

On Tatooine, spinning is the best trick.

It's a good trick on any planet, like that big croc on the mando hideout planet. Or don't forget in space too, like vader spinning in his tie away from the death star exploding.

MrMojok posted:

This kind of e/n I guess. So please scroll down if you don’t want that.

But I think I have finally reached this point in my SW fandom and/or my life (most likely both) where I’m now able to sit back and not nitpick and just enjoy all this stuff we have now.

I think I hit this point after TLJ, and into the advent of Mandalorian S1, 2018 was my "dark year" I guess. The star wars fandom was kind of exhausting with what's good and what's bad, what's clever and what's dumb. Then that stuff just went off the deep end with the reception to TLJ, and it forced me to take a step back and reanalyze what being a fan of star wars meant to me. Now I recognize that it's all stupid and it's all rad. That bell curve meme definitely applies to star wars. Most star wars fans are super annoying, but there's quite a few that "get it", and then there's a few that are just starting out which are always a joy.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 13, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jehde posted:

It's a good trick on any planet, like that big croc on the mando hideout planet. Or don't forget in space too, like vader spinning in his tie away from the death star exploding.

Vader, spinning uncontrollably in his TIE: "Still a good trick."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Vader, spinning uncontrollably in his TIE: "Still a good trick."

"I bet this looks fuckin rad"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m doing it… I’m starting BOBA’S BOOK right now!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrMojok posted:

I’m doing it… I’m starting BOBA’S BOOK right now!

I would close that book. ANd put it back on the shelf

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

HootTheOwl posted:

I would close that book. ANd put it back on the shelf

Unless it's Bounty Hunter's Wars, in which case set it on fire too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ian McD: Yeah, Palpatine fucks, deal with it :c00lbert:"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If anything his comments on it seem entirely noncommittal though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

If anything his comments on it seem entirely noncommittal though

It IS sort of "If YOU want Palpatine to have hosed, then he hosed", but yeah. But I am a big believer in Sheevy P laying the big Dark Side D on a lucky(?) lady, so I am taking it as royal assent from the Emperor himself.

Palpatine fucks.