Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey a redditor did it.

More maps

I was confused why they put the transition from futbol to футбол where they did, since Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan should really be both, which led me to a startling realization: the uzbek nerds have transitioned their wikipedia.

They make all the pop music, they finish switching first, fuckin uzbeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

UUs are religious, or spiritual if you prefer. They’re definitely not just a nice way of saying atheist.

https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/sources
https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/principles

Growing up UU I would (half joking) describe myself as "religious but not spiritual" as a response to people who didn't go to any church but would believe in poo poo like "The Secret" or horoscopes and describe themselves as "not religious but very spiritual."

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

UU is for people who find being methodist a bit too edgy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I credit UUism for keeping me from becoming a libertarian as a teenager, so they do good work.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

New version of the map.

The dots here are actual restaurant/snackbars. The creator of the map studied all their menus.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carbon dioxide posted:

New version of the map.

The dots here are actual restaurant/snackbars. The creator of the map studied all their menus.

It's time for the Middle Netherlands to receive their freedom from the northern oppressors.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kaplyn, surely.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

New version of the map.

[looking through binoculars] That is our natural border. I have ordered our forces to invade.

This one may have had a few too many frieten already

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Belgium M90 is the most Belgian of all camouflage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
quelqu’un a dit « natural borders » ???

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

quelqu’un a dit « natural borders » ???

Why Lleida and not Lerida, and Saragose and not Zaragoza? are we using random languages for the cities names?, is Lleida in french?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Tei posted:

Why Lleida and not Lerida, and Saragose and not Zaragoza? are we using random languages for the cities names?, is Lleida in french?

Look at Italy and NL— they list all foreign city names in their French version.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I have had dinner and am ready to post about whether exonyms are ok

(they are and never in a million years will I say Maðrið or Barþeloooonaaaah any more than I’d say Paghree in english)

((And it’s even sillier once you leave the popular languages. It’s spelled Kazakhstan bc the Tsar thought having Kazak the Cossack and kazak the ethnicity in the empire was confusing so he changed the second к to a х. It’s Qazaq in qazaq latin, the q representing a sound that isn’t k or q or existent in english or russian.))

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 11, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The endonym of Vatican City is Status Civitatis Vaticanae.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Always say Burma until their junta is disbanded and they stop genociding Chinland and Shan State.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

His point is that Lleida is not the French exonym.

Eagle-eyed Tai has identified the only thing wrong with that map, it lets the Catalans get too uppity

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is the most recently coined exonym you can think of?

East Timor, but it’s arguable if that counts.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

What is the most recently coined exonym you can think of?

Daesh
Las Malvinas

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

(they are and never in a million years will I say Maðrið or Barþeloooonaaaah any more than I’d say Paghree in english)

((And it’s even sillier once you leave the popular languages. It’s spelled Kazakhstan bc the Tsar thought having Kazak the Cossack and kazak the ethnicity in the empire was confusing so he changed the second к to a х. It’s Qazaq in qazaq latin, the q representing a sound that isn’t k or q or existent in english or russian.))

I think there's a difference between using an adapted version of a country/city name like Kazak for Qazaq, and going way off map like Finland for Suomi. You don't have to match the native pronunciation exactly, but it would be nice if you didn't invent a completely different word.
But that said, unless the people who are mislabeled care, you shouldn't care. And I guess it gets complicated in places that don't quite agree what the country should be called (I think Myanmar is a case of this?).

I also just reminded myself how many different exonyms Germany has. It's Saksa in Finnish for example.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s Lleida in oc and oc is officially parisian, so it counts

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is there a way to enable the Mongol UI for my computer?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

BonHair posted:

I also just reminded myself how many different exonyms Germany has. It's Saksa in Finnish for example.

yea, why is this? germany, deutschland, saksa, allemagnia, deguo, etc.

and why did we pick germany of all names? isn’t it some hibernian thing? why did we pick the irish’s word?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 11, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm honestly shocked that so many of the dumb-as-poo poo exonyms are limited to Europe. India, China and Japan are all weird things for Europeans to decide to call those places, but I would have expected it to be WAY worse in Africa. Or is that just a result of these states retaining the names given to them by the colonizers that made up the borders in the first place?

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

yea, why is this? germany, deutschland, frankenreich, saksa, allemagnia, deguo, etc.

and why did we pick germany of all names? isn’t it some hibernian thing? why did we pick the irish’s word?

Blame the Romans, they called it 'Germania' and the name stuck in Latin's descendant languages. Often exonyms come from bits what other people came into contact with and it then ballooned from there. Like Finnish name for Germany is 'Saksa', most likely thanks to contact with traders from Old Saxony in early middle ages, so 'Saksa' is Saxony and now all Germans are Saxons (saksalaiset) in Finnish. Or how Estonia is 'Viro' in Finnish, because Viru was the northernmost part of Estonia and they dealt extensively with Finnish tribes. I think there's been some talk recently of changing the official name of Estonia to Eesti in Finnish but I'm not sure if it will ever happen. Still, goes to show that there's still modern discourse about even ancient exonyms and should they be changed. Languages are ever changing and all that...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

yea, why is this? germany, deutschland, saksa, allemagnia, deguo, etc.

Pretty much all the names came from different tribes within the barbarian region north of the Empire. Germania is what Latin used for the region, but English, as a German language itself, used to call it Deutschland and the people Deutsch.

Over time that shifted to Dutch/Dutchland, still referring to the whole of the Holy Roman Empire, but then the Netherlands broke off. Since the Netherlands became a main rival of England, "Dutch" shifted to only mean them and the Latin "German" was used for the reduced HRE.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

thought this was really interesting. northern italy has 7 ways to say foot and 3 ways to say leg, neighboring greece just uses the same word for both.

finnish was also fun, where if I am reading the legend correctly, leg and foot are the same word, unless you are feeling specific and refer to the foot as the terminal part of the legfoot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Byzantine posted:

Since the Netherlands became a main rival of England, "Dutch" shifted to only mean them and the Latin "German" was used for the reduced HRE.
Since they conquered England without breaking a sweat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Germany
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terms_used_for_Germans

The long and short of it is that Germany was a big place with a lot of different groups with their own names that spent a long time disunited, and even when they were mostly united, they took about a thousand years to really assert a unitary german national identity as their primary thing. Also at every phase of Germany's existence, there were a number of Germanic groups outside of "Germany" proper, so the endonym would get taken by the wrong Germans. A bit like how the Philippines was trying to rename itself "Malaysia" only for the name to get stolen by Malaysia.

Germani, Alemani, Saxons, Franks, Nemetes, Angles, Hessians, Teutons, Prussians, and Suebi were all just German tribes, and I'm not sure how much difference there was seen back in the day between them and the northern Germans like the Danes, Rus, Goths, or Swedes, especially on the many occasions when they were roaming far and wide from the areas where the geographic divide was relevant.

Toponyms are a lot simpler because you don't have to worry as much about the multiple primordial tribes roaming around and intermingling on their way to the present day and you can just hope that the people of a general geographic area fused together their own identity.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Using endonyms instead of widely known exonyms can be pretentious and a bit offensive too. Many Persian speakers don't like foreigners calling their language Farsi, because it's a recent practice that erodes the connection to historical Persian culture. And in Finland calling Estonia Eesti instead of Viro has been considered kowtowing to Soviet practice or something like that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Saying Nippon instead of Japan outs you as a weeb

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m not calling it Türkiye sorry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hmm seems like you just did.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

This map uses Portuguese for Moçambique but Kongo for Angola, even though Portuguese is much more prominent in the latter.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Same, but I'm calling it Rome instead.

Türkiye is a good dumb example of exonyms, since it's clearly the same word as Turkey just in Turkish. We are already calling it the same thing, just not exactly because not everyone speaks Turkish. Which, to be fair, is probably a mistake in Erdogan's mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Badger of Basra posted:

That one irks me

I get changing the official name for places on the receiving end of colonialism, but Türkiye, sorry you’re like it Olaf Scholz came out and insisted I say Deutschland. Except even dumber bc like 1% of anglophones even know how to type the tréma, let alone how to pronounce Türkiye differently from the bird

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm still calling it "Turk Land"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to be calling it "The Big Ottoman" like that furniture place that I got to redo my bedroom did after I shat all over it

BonHair posted:

Same, but I'm calling it Rome instead.
Rûm, surely?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Look, I for one sympathize with people not wanting their country confused with second-rate poultry, even if they really should have chosen a spelling outsiders can actually read.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The poultry was named after their country, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
To be fair Türkiye and Magyarország have been the butt of many a joke

To be unfair I’m gonna keep going lol Hungry ate Turkey till they get non-fascist leaders