Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

First bot mission was a night mission on the jungle planet, tanks crashing out of the brush right on top of us, red tracers everywhere, mine explosions lighting up the branches, total chaos :stare: Agree with whoever posted it first: that could have been a game unto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any updates on that server maintenance?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Benagain posted:

The background lore for the bugs being "we were farming them for their secretions as slaves except oops they broke out and are revolting" is extremely funny

It is pretty fun in the same sense as playing Vanguard was in AoW Planetfall

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

explosivo posted:

Any updates on that server maintenance?

No new announcement in the official Discord.

On PC, I was getting stuck on the "Failed to connect to server" error when trying to launch the game and skip the intro movie.
Watching most or all of the intro movie somehow has worked 100% of the time.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I assume you probably shouldn't play during server maintenance if you want progress to be kept reliably

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Atoramos posted:

The orbital laser is another good strategem, when we're grouped up and can't afford to run away from a 380MM, a laser can bring down anything.

On "kill VIP" missions are obviusly op.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This game kicks rear end

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Orv posted:

Yeah after a few missions with the 120mm and the 380mm call ins I think they’re just a little too prone to heavy dispersion. I don’t think I’ll ever stop bringing the orbital precision, its cooldown is low enough and the blast range controllable enough to be extremely useful for the bigger bugs and holes and it’s the most reliable building destroyer if you want to keep the collateral low.

Other than that Eagle strikes seem superior in nearly every way, though I think napalm is merely okay.

The walking bombardment is the only orbital I kind of like. Can be pretty useful in large firefights on open ground, or fit dealing with nests. But I basically replaced it with the eagle 500 kg bomb because that one is loving awesome to look at and can take out bile titans with one hit (I think)

I haven't bothered unlocking orbital laser but I'm interested if it can really deal with multiple chargers?

JBP posted:

Cool so you can have four eagle slots and use them all up before rearm. I like the aircraft support thing as a gimmick but I keep worrying that I might be wasting shots or something taking multiple weapons.

Just to be clear each one has multiple uses before needing rearm. So if you have four eagle slots you've got like 8 to 12 users before rearm or something. Not sure how many uses each has or if they're all the same.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The monetization seemed shockingly relaxed to me. The items are actually pretty cheap, you get decent amounts of premium currency just by playing, and the good stuff is in the battle pass which you only progress through by playing, and there's even no premium track.

I mean, steeled veterans is still technically the premium track. I paid for it but I doubt I'd have enough even at level 18 or something to purchase it that way. Doesn't it take ten thousand premium? That's quite a lot.

ZeusCannon posted:

What are the yellow bile bugs? Just a color variation?

They take more shots to kill, at least. Maybe they do more damage, not sure since even the green ones tend to kill instantly with a solid hit. But they are definitely tougher.

A tip on those guys: the dive is the answer just like chargers. When they're getting ready to spew, just dive to the side and they'll miss every time.

Sipher posted:

Been finding Challenging pretty doable with pubbies on bugs, but man the "kill 150 bugs" missions are way undertuned. There's zero special enemies; you can just set down some turrets and afk until it's done.

I did one on a pretty high difficulty the other day and everyone just popped down mortar turrets and then set shields in the middle. Didn't have to do anything besides that, the mortars took care of them.

And yeah challenging is pretty easy, never failed a mission on that diff. Hard is a big jump and the rest seem like relatively small steps up from that. I think the highest ice done successfully with pubbies is the one above hard.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I’d like to point out one thing about the steeled diver stuff. Since it uses the same metals to unlock at the basic track, and since everything is pretty expensive, it kinda slows your progression down if you bounce between the two.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Level 6 difficulty starts getting pretty wild with bile titans spawning in during breaches and I haven't gotten past that yet to unlock higher levels. I just want my purple samples dammit

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Play posted:

Just to be clear each one has multiple uses before needing rearm. So if you have four eagle slots you've got like 8 to 12 users before rearm or something. Not sure how many uses each has or if they're all the same.

They have varying amounts. The big bomb is only 1 use, while there's one that comes with 4. And there's a ship upgrade that adds 1 use to each.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Whoops I think I forgot to set the expiration settings for the PlayStation Goons Discord invitation link. Here's one that shouldn't expire: https://discord.gg/PW5TYbkAbC

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Hell yeah! Was the last man standing and lived just long enough to pull a lever and die, finishing the mission objective. Now I can finally join the cool kids club (meaning one blitz mission just to say I did a mission on Helldive and then try fruitlessly to join/build a longterm group).

Over the course of these missions, I also discovered that if the Pelican is trapped in a small, enclosed extract point and it gets caught in an orbital with a duration, it can't land. It will reach an invisible landing point in the air and then bounce back up a little, until the orbital times out.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Also while the game is down, here’s a collection of very handy tips I wrote up for the PS Goons Discord, with lots of input from CJSeedge. All the info below is for the PS5 version but most of it will be relevant to PC as well.

- 💣 You can bind a Quick Grenade button. Go to Options > Controller > Change Bindings > Combat > Quick Grenade. I set it to L1 but you could also try L3 or whatever works best for you. Now when you ADS (hold L2) you can press your Quick Grenade button to immediately throw a grenade without having to equip them manually. This is extremely useful!
- 🔫 Hold Square to open the Weapon Wheel, which contains configurable options for your currently equipped weapon. You can use the D-Pad to cycle through flashlight modes, firing modes, and more depending on the weapon.
- 🏃 You can move faster while carrying heavy items like artillery shells by rhythmically tapping X/Cross to repeatedly drop and catch the item while moving.
- 🎥 To change which shoulder side the camera is set to, go to Options > Controller > Change Bindings > Combat > Switch Camera Side and rebind this to UP on the D-Pad. By default it is set to DOWN on the D-Pad, but it doesn’t work because holding DOWN brings up the item drop menu. When this is set to UP, you can now change camera shoulder sides by long pressing UP while ADS (holding L2). Another good candidate may be X/Cross, though this will interfere with a Jump Pack or other similar items. Note that the shoulder switch does not save when you exit ADS so the default view will always be over your right shoulder.
- 🚨 Press R1 to ping whatever you’re looking at to your teammates. Good for calling out points of interest, the direction of your objective, enemy patrols and attacks, supplies and ammo drops, and whatever else you can look at in the game. Hold R1 to open the Comms Wheel with quick chats and responses.
- 🔍 You can switch to a first-person aiming view by pressing R3 while ADS (holding L2). This can be set to be remembered globally or per weapon in the game settings.
- 💼 Hold DOWN on the D-Pad to bring up the menu to drop items. You can drop your backpack item, your heavy weapon, your samples, and whatever the briefcase icon is. Useful if you need to transfer or give away something to a teammate.

Some general gameplay tips:
- 🪲 The Grenade Launcher and Auto Cannon can close bug nests at range.
- 💎 Search for Samples at points of interest and outposts. Every little bit helps.
- 💰 If you see big crates that look like shipping containers, these can usually be opened with a grenade or other nearby explosives to find supplies, Requisitions, Medals, or even Super Currency.
- 💥 Invest in the Anti-Personnel Minefield or Incendiary Mines stratagems early. They are extremely useful at covering your back while escaping from attacks, defending choke points, and can even be placed at the Extraction Point at the beginning of a mission to prepare early as they do not seem to despawn over time.

Other game options I recommend changing:
- Visuals > Motion Blur: I turned this down quite a bit.
- Visuals > Depth of Field: I read that turning this off improves image quality on PS5.
- Visuals > Anti-Aliasing: Turn this on, I don’t know why this defaults to off.
- HUD > Compass Ordinal Directions: Set to Visible. This makes the headers for NE, NW, SE, and SW appear on your compass.
- Controller > Motion Sensor Enable Mode: I set this to Aiming so it behaves like BOTW and other similar games, where motion controls are only enabled when you are ADS (holding L2). Good for fine-tuning your aim with the DualSense gyro controls. There are other settings as well if you prefer to customize this feature.

Baggot fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 11, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"T-minus whoa, not cool, bro" - Pelican pilot

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Baggot posted:

- 💥 Invest in the Anti-Personnel Minefield or Incendiary Mines strategems early. They are extremely useful at covering your back while escsaping from attacks, defending choke points, and can even be placed at the Extraction Point at the beginning of a mission to prepare early as they do not seem to despawn over time.

Definitely do this. You want to be as efficient with these as you can as well, so throw those badboys down whenever it's off cooldown. The more often you place them, the bigger the covered area is, increasing the frequency of teamma- eh, evil bugs killed.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
How do you stop randoms from joining your game? I'd rather play solo than have some pubbie join and drop anti-personnel mines on an objective.

edit: It's under Gameplay.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maintenance is over, servers are opening up again

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

Maintenance is over, servers are opening up again

I got in about 20 minutes ago but couldn’t open stratagems or store.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

How do you stop randoms from joining your game? I'd rather play solo than have some pubbie join and drop anti-personnel mines on an objective.

edit: It's under Gameplay.

You can go into game options on the ship and change matchmaking from public to private.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Matchmaking seems improved thus far.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So it’s actually up now? For realsies?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Re:solo play from a few pages back:

Stealth works, and probably even better with the sneakier armor. Literally had a patrol walk on top of me and a buddy lying prone behind a drop pod while the data transmitted, then we lit them up and they didn't get a signal off. Certain missions will be much harder, but with the right kit and making sure to avoid patrols sneaking around to complete objectives/grab samples is probably doable even for harder missions.

Definitely going to take some figuring out which call-ins to use for destroying things best while kiting/escaping from hordes.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Play posted:

They take more shots to kill, at least. Maybe they do more damage, not sure since even the green ones tend to kill instantly with a solid hit. But they are definitely tougher.

The orange ones make opaque gas clouds around them in addition to acid spitting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaddish posted:

So it’s actually up now? For realsies?
it sure isn't for me on PC :mad:

(e) of course as soon as i alt tab to complain it works lol

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Baggot posted:

- 💥 Invest in the Anti-Personnel Minefield or Incendiary Mines stratagems early. They are extremely useful at covering your back while escaping from attacks, defending choke points, and can even be placed at the Extraction Point at the beginning of a mission to prepare early as they do not seem to despawn over time.

Kevin Bacon posted:

Definitely do this. You want to be as efficient with these as you can as well, so throw those badboys down whenever it's off cooldown. The more often you place them, the bigger the covered area is, increasing the frequency of teamma- eh, evil bugs killed.

:yeshaha: This is some sicko poo poo

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh yea , since I haven't seen it posted itt yet, obligatory Klendathu Drop :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlx_ahISyTw

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah I guess that post on the discord was bullshit because it's still down for me, lol. I'll just.. shelve this for tonight I think.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So, I know that inputting directions for strategies is part of the pressure of the game but is there any way to turn them off?
My old brain can't really keep up with that sometimes.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I played a few games during the downtime. I read that you needed to sit through the intro video when you start the game. Weird, but it worked. My strat shop was blank for the first couple games, but other than that I didn’t have an issue. Curious to see if my progress is rolled back when I log back on tonight.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Profanity posted:

Matchmaking seems improved thus far.

Scratch that, matchmaking works but I'm not earning any XP or medals now. It's a bit hosed still.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I read that you needed to sit through the intro video when you start the game. Weird, but it worked.

Deviations in attention will be considered treason.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Inzombiac posted:

So, I know that inputting directions for strategies is part of the pressure of the game but is there any way to turn them off?
My old brain can't really keep up with that sometimes.

Nope. This game, and the other games by this studio that I'm familiar with all trend towards frantic gameplay, so its an intentional design element.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Profanity posted:

Scratch that, matchmaking works but I'm not earning any XP or medals now. It's a bit hosed still.

Yeah, it’s still hosed. I’m just gunna put it down for a week or so at this point and see if they ever unfuck it.

Feeling like shades of Wayfinder’s launch right now

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
managed one game with matchmaking but now i keep getting errors

playing solo works but i'm not getting rewards

game's still hosed

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Does the 120mm he barrage destroy automaton factories?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Does the 120mm he barrage destroy automaton factories?

If it hits them!

Chances are good it will not hit them.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Baggot posted:

Great Information

I've seen some conversation in the last couple of pages and I'd like to add a couple of things.

The SEAF Artillery are pro stops early in a drop. You complete a secondary objective AND get an extra stratagem for the rest of the mission.

The Hellbomb can be summoned near anything that you are supposed to destroy. Keep an eye out for the notification that it's available, and you can drop it anywhere and then activate it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sock it to me! posted:

The SEAF Artillery are pro stops early in a drop. You complete a secondary objective AND get an extra stratagem for the rest of the mission.

I've seen so many pubbie squads not even realize this and all the artillery strikes are left by the end of a mission. Throw them shits out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
The mini nukes you can load into it will gently caress up a factory or bug nest real good too.