Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

trying to jack off posted:

is it good? everything i see about it is always just talking about how the game is either cringe or hilarious

It's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Vadun posted:

It's hilarious

im gonna loving kill you

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's cringe but not like Donut County cringe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't played it, or heard of it before right now. But it's cringe.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Hogwarts Legacy
2) Aliens: Fireteam Elite
3) Styx: Master of Shadows
4) Starfield
5) Battlefield Hardline

Decided to give it another go after encountering some bugs last year, seeing as I've got a new PC now. And well, it worked fine! Blasted through it in a couple of afternoons and had fun with it. Enemies were a little bullet-spongey when it came to body shots, but eh, it was worth the fiver I paid for it, for sure

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Hogwarts Legacy
4) Starfield
5) Battlefield Hardline
6) Styx: Shards of Darkness

Another one, today! Styx SoD was pretty good, mechanically. Have to say I kinda prefer the original though, as far as Styx himself goes. Since they changed him from a sarcastic goblin into a sarcastic goblin who also spouts many, many pop culture references and frequently breaks the fourth wall. Just kinda seemed like they were trying real hard to turn him into Deadpool, feels like.

Either way, it's still Styx! Meaning great stealth gaming is to be had, here!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

is it good? everything i see about it is always just talking about how the game is either cringe or hilarious

Both Turnip Boy games are very silly, but I think they're pretty fun. I played them on gamepass and had a good time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

17) super metroid map rando (snes, 90% items in 5 hours)

this rules. it's super metroid randomizer but it shuffles the map around now and you can get super granular with the options and what techniques you know how to do and make it as hosed up/not hosed up as you can handle. i got forced into fighting ridley as the first boss with the entire rest of the game behind him and it was extremely hosed up but cool lol, had to do half the fight doing wave beam combo and space jumping around the arena avoiding him. and at the end you still have to do the escape sequence through the entire map between the mother brain room and your ship, and you can get even stupider and force having to save the animals to add another stop during it. some nice qol stuff too. great way to replay a classic

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

that sounds absolutely deranged

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
its bad rear end

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

its bad rear end

lol cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

its bad rear end

lmao this gave me an aneurygnangmg,m

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

lmao this gave me an aneurygnangmg,m

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1) A Plague Tale: Innocence
2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)
3) HI-Fi Rush
4) A Plague Tale: Requiem

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fadam posted:

2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)
3) HI-Fi Rush

Lol

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth

extremely good. Still got loads to do but thought I'd get the story wrapped up. Will put the rest in spoiler tags

good:
-battle system is so much better than 7. just being able to reposition adds a lot to it, sometimes I'd switch up targets if I could get a back attack in on somebody else, if a guy has a sliver of health you can knock someone into him rather than waste a turn on him etc. Kiryus unique mechanics were also good
-job system also feels a lot more fleshed out, I don't think any of them were obviously poo poo. Aquanaut is a bit average since its jack of all trades but not bad by any stretch
-Street bosses are great. In the early game just exploring and uncovering the map and occasionally getting my poo poo kicked in by guys I'm way underlevelled for was a lot of fun. eventually you get strong enough that nothing on the map is scary but that's the nature of all rpgs
-side content in general. There's pretty much no duds among the new minigames, crazy delivery, sujimon, dondoko are all good. even the arcade is entirely new Sega stuff rather than space harrier for the 10000th time
-In broad strokes I liked the story. Kiryus reminiscing and meeting old friends is pure naked fanservice but I'm happy to be pandered to. New characters were good, old characters still good. Yamai owns

Bad:
-small thing but the early bombardment of new side content, mechanics etc. gets pretty overwhelming. Eventually it calms down but the job system should have come way earlier imo
-bilingual characters lol. The early Engrish with tomizawa and eiji was funny but bryce is insanely bad. supposed to be a charismatic jesus-like cult leader and he talks like he's got severe brain damage. When they give a character two voices it's also obvious, like police officer roman has a really deep imposing Japanese voice then turns into the nerdiest white man alive when he speaks english
-some specific plot elements really drag. The vtuber poo poo got old fast
-battle positioning did get a bit fucky occasionally, especially tag moves. I'd position a line of enemies perfectly, then after it zoomed in on ichi/kiryu and whoever they're tagging with, their position would have changed entirely or the enemies would be somewhere else. never the difference between winning and losing but still annoying
-dwight and wong tou needed more screentime
-boxed prizes in the ufo catcher. Impossible. gently caress!!!!

overall probably an S tier yakuza. I'm sure I'll be biased because of how recent it is but even after I cool off on it I imagine it'll be top 3. god bless rgg studio

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

6. Max Payne (PS2), 2/11

a youtube video comparing the ports of Max Payne had me curious about revisiting the PS2 version and it's not a terrible port, but the load times after each death made me miss the original PC version. I think the biggest issue is that the movement isnt true analog movement but instead just mimics WASD. It makes navigating the narrow jumps across rooftops and other obstacles a complete pain in the rear end

The writing is as cheesy as ever and the set pieces are great. Maybe once I'm done Nioh and Mother 3 I'll replay MP2

This also reminded me that one of my favorite little features of the third game was having a Sam Lake-like model of Max in multiplayer who spends the entire match just screaming lines from the first game. it's funny as hell to get a bunch of kills and hear James McCaffrey yelling at the top his lungs stuff like "I MIGHT'VE LAUGHED IF I REMEMBERED HOW"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fadam posted:

2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)
3) HI-Fi Rush

So, how do you think it compared to the original? I haven't played Requiem yet, but I'll likely grab it in a sale later in the year

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

So, how do you think it compared to the original? I haven't played Requiem yet, but I'll likely grab it in a sale later in the year

I think the stealth sections improved a lot, but I wasn’t crazy about how much of the game is just walking around and listening to characters talk. I think I like the OG a bit more.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

8. Corn Kidz 64

This is a 64-bit inspired 3D platformer sort of like Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie. It was a little rough, the platforming was kind of cool most of the time - you're a goat, so you have some moves based around headbutts like a midair dash instead of a double jump, and you can walljump sort of forward as well as across - but I'm not sure it made the best of them. There's a lot of sections that are more like 2d platformers where you're jumping from ledges, a bit more on rails than I'd like. It's also short, there's a tutorial world, one "main" world, and then the final gauntlet, so in some ways it felt more like a proof of concept than a full game. The writing is also not great, it's very "lol-random" style and I was not a fan at all. Overall, fine, and there were glimmers of something really good in there so if the studio make another game I'll probably check it out, but I'd say this one is skippable.

Edit: I'm realising between this and Celeste 64 my last two games were both N64 style 3d platformers...has the renaissance finally arrived??

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Aston posted:

8. Corn Kidz 64

dude

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

UPDATE: The Imp Zone have lost their minds and are trying to kill me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Corn Kidz is from the Lyle in Cube Sector guy so hell, I'll play it.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Aston posted:

8. Corn Kidz 64

hmm. think i need to pm sub real quick

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Beat this bowl of Corn Flakes this morning :yum:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KoRn Kidz 64. Da boom na da mmmm dum na ema

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

6. Magic Pengel

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Hogwarts Legacy
4) Starfield
5) Battlefield Hardline
7) Metro 2033

Surprisingly, I never got around to playing through this, back in the day. I quite liked it though - especially the human areas, where you had golden opportunities to sneak around enemy camps. Since I grabbed this in a bundle with Last Light and Exodus, I'm aiming to clear the trilogy this year. I might stagger them out a little though, depending on how I feel.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Hogwarts Legacy
4) Starfield
5) Battlefield Hardline
7) Metro 2033
8) Intravenous 2: Mercenarism

This is kinda like a standalone game acting as a prologue for the upcoming Intravenous 2, helping to bridge the two games and act as a test bed for some new mechanics. Not bad! It only took a few hours to quickly (and lethally) sneak through and beat though, so it kinda just makes me want more. I'll probably go through it again before I2 comes out, to unlock the remaining random guns. (As it has that "retrieve weapons to unlock them" mechanic that Hitman 2, etc. had)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

That was more of a reaction to Corn Kidz than I expected...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hogwarts Legacy Hetero Paragon 110%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Aston posted:

That was more of a reaction to Corn Kidz than I expected...

not sure which british accent to read this post in.