Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
3. FUCKIN TODDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Nurgle characters are too samey for three new Nurgle ones to come out next DLC. However, an Empire guy on a horse would stand out much better because

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
They should go with Gutrot Spume and give him a boat like the vampirates.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

Nurgle characters are too samey for three new Nurgle ones to come out next DLC. However, an Empire guy on a horse would stand out much better because

It's less that I want Tod and more think that unless they plan on doing another Empire DLC, which seems unlikely after they scaled up the DLC sizing and cost, that he fits more with their roster updates.

The biggest gaps in their roster are expanded religion stuff and associated Ulrican infantry, imo, along with a smattering of gun/magitek stuff. If they hadn't teased both the Engineer aspect of the Dwarf/Empire pairing as well as Tamurkhan for Nurgle, I'd be seriously wondering if Todbringer wasn't the Empire lord with new religion mechanics (better fit for possible roster changes, more central RoC startpos though that seemingly matters less to them now) while Elspeth gets brought in as the FLC lord. I think we'll see a mix of Ulrican infantry and Nuln guns in the Empire roster additions, so either lord fits there too.

But their teasing is strong enough that I feel sure its Tamurkhan, Elspeth, and probably Malakai for the lords. So, unless the Empire is 18 units short of a complete roster and can cram 9 units of Nuln-themed units into this one, I think Todbringer makes it in.

E: and if they can get some interesting mechanics into him, he could still be fun. Rakarth is "another dude on a dragon in black armor" but he feels pretty different thanks to his recruiting mechanics.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Playing the old world campaign as beastmen vs cataphs southern realms

Who are these hillmen, why are they stealth, why are they javs, are they ungors???

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

Playing the old world campaign as beastmen vs cataphs southern realms

Who are these hillmen, why are they stealth, why are they javs, are they ungors???

Huh, didn't realize that Cataph's was updated for that yet. That's neat.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
warhammer 4: naval combat: merwyrms, gargantuans, sea dragons and krakens. while we're still on land where are the slaughterbrutes

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I assume most nonhuman ships are driven by magic or are pulled by beasts. Except ships dedicated to khorne because despite the giant blades+skull and massive cannons on a little trireme, using anything other than muscle, especially wind, would be dishonorable

dwarves use steam

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

not a bot posted:

Why are people putting any stock to what LegendOfTotalWar is saying?

Because speculating is fun, and a lot of the information he shares is directionally correct with a decent amount being dead on. He also caveats that the info he is getting is always suspect quite often, so its not like he's coming down claiming to have tablets from god - the fact that people passing that info on often don't include the caveat ain't his fault. And, you know, he does have actual legit sources, which is far better than most speculators.

Cranappleberry posted:

I assume most nonhuman ships are driven by magic or are pulled by beasts. Except ships dedicated to khorne because despite the giant blades+skull and massive cannons on a little trireme, using anything other than muscle, especially wind, would be dishonorable

dwarves use steam

I just assumed that khorne vessels are powered by oarmen listening to Blood and Thunder on repeat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Khorne vessels are actually designed with a very standard prop and shaft arrangement.

If this seems unusually conventional and less than bloodthirsty, I suggest you Google rotating shaft injuries.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Old World heard about N'Kari's predilection for shoving people into random orifices in the landscape and decided there is no success like excess.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Cythereal posted:

The Old World heard about N'Kari's predilection for shoving people into random orifices in the landscape and decided there is no success like excess.

Sannesh factions really should have some suitably gross landmark for gallon graveyard and the maw.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Chaos has always had a deliberate middle finger raised to logistical questions like "where are they getting all of the minerals and metallurgical infrastructure necessary to outfit a massive horde, the supply train necessary to keep their army fed, the population base needed to maintain a horde big enough to threaten early-modern nations, etc", but something about maintaining a navy in particular stretches my disbelief in a way that two-headed flying bird sorcerers does not. You need to know knots, you can't just scream at the ropes to make them go.

It is funny imagining a bunch of patient, methodical shipwrights and sailors working day in and out to build and navigate a ship in a collaborative effort that takes months only to crash it into another ship and gibber wildly while swinging over, though. Imagining the chaos bosun who's job it is to knock the heads of all of the writhing spawn and mutants to tell them the boarding action's over and they actually need to start operating the bilge pumps for the prize crew.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Canonically Grom the Paunch ordered his boys to make the shittiest giant log rafts possible to sail continent to continent and did fine, logistics are a lost cause for Warhammer settings unless you have a much tighter scope for the story and even that's gotta be super brief. I totally believe that a bunch of angry mounds of writhing flesh can smash iron into a vague boat shape and push it towards mortals to murder.

Not really any stupider than Norsca producing an infinite horde of invaders regularly from the worst land in the world.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Imagining chaos farmers, tying juggernauts to plows so they can feed their army.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cythereal posted:

When did they change the IE map to include the land ring rather than an open-sea vortex? I haven’t played in over a year and feel like I’ve got tonnes of patch blogs to read.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh yeah, Chaos in particular works on a system basically perfectly orthagonal to any idea of economy or logistics, where their resources are things like belief, corruption, and deeds which allow more of the magical power of chaos into the world. They basically can scream at ropes to make them go, or more likely, sacrifice a village to tear open a rift to a dimension where a demon-boat can sail through (and all of the knots are helpfully pre-tied). Something about the needs of running a boat just makes it funnier to me.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

When did they change the IE map to include the land ring rather than an open-sea vortex? I haven’t played in over a year and feel like I’ve got tonnes of patch blogs to read.

There are mods with new maps. Check out stuff by ChaosRobie in the workshop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shumagorath posted:

Modded map called The Old World. The Galleon's Graveyard is a whole little region now.

N'Kari in this map starts off in the southwest corner (the Araby region, in this map he's surrounded by Brets and vampires as his starting opponents), and the Galleon's Graveyard is one natural avenue for him to expand. Subjugated Sigvald in a single battle, stealing his vassal in the process, and am now mopping up the vampirates, ogres, and chorfs hanging around before I move on the mainland.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Khorne vessels are actually designed with a very standard prop and shaft arrangement.

If this seems unusually conventional and less than bloodthirsty, I suggest you Google rotating shaft injuries.

lol

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

need a legendary hero of khorne that's just a lathe

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Log082 posted:

need a legendary hero of khorne that's just a lathe

It uses blood for coolant/lubricant

The lathe cares not from where the blood flows, only that it flows

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The demon ship comes with a year's subscription to the Support Helpline of a Thousand Eyes in case any of the knots need to be re-screamed etc

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
they fish+hunt. also they eat chaos spawn

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So N'Kari in The Old World is proving a bit of an interesting beast. You have a couple of nearby Bret minors you can subjugate if you want, but otherwise you have to travel a good way to find any non-undead, non-daemons you can seize control of. There's Sigvald and his vassal up in the Galleon's Graveyard (and some Cathayans but I wouldn't place bets on them still being alive by the time you can get up there) you can subjugate, and if you push east into the Badlands you'll eventually run into Eltharion.

Alternatively, head straight north across the gulf and hopefully you can slap some nipple clamps on Wulfrik and/or Rakarth who start up in Estalia.

It's a weird case where N'Kari, the guy who's all about seduction and subversion, starts a very long way away from anyone worth subverting and indeed is primarily surrounded by daemons and undead he can only kill.

And, uh, the skaven are eating everything and everybody on the mainland.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the best nurgle lord to add would be tamurkhan, bc body upgrading is fun, and his 'meditate for 2000 years' personality is unique compared to the others, along with being from a slightly different cultural background to the other norscans in the game so far.

he's kurgan, who are WHF scythians, so despite being a body hopping immortal maggot it would add a bit of ethnic diversity to chaos

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I think my favorite bits of 40k lore are the rare times when a chaos dude has a conversation with an imperial and is bemused that the imperium thinks they're all mindless zealots. The point is that just about everyone in Warhammer is capable of logistics and strategy, they just don't depict it because it's boring. While yes I personally would read an 800 page book on how Archaon managed supply lines for the non-demonic troops, no one else would buy it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the best nurgle lord to add would be tamurkhan, bc body upgrading is fun, and his 'meditate for 2000 years' personality is unique compared to the others, along with being from a slightly different cultural background to the other norscans in the game so far.

he's kurgan, who are WHF scythians, so despite being a body hopping immortal maggot it would add a bit of ethnic diversity to chaos

And, more importantly, he rides a gigantic disgusting freak that I'm sure the art team is dying to animate

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

So N'Kari in The Old World is proving a bit of an interesting beast. You have a couple of nearby Bret minors you can subjugate if you want, but otherwise you have to travel a good way to find any non-undead, non-daemons you can seize control of. There's Sigvald and his vassal up in the Galleon's Graveyard (and some Cathayans but I wouldn't place bets on them still being alive by the time you can get up there) you can subjugate, and if you push east into the Badlands you'll eventually run into Eltharion.

Alternatively, head straight north across the gulf and hopefully you can slap some nipple clamps on Wulfrik and/or Rakarth who start up in Estalia.

It's a weird case where N'Kari, the guy who's all about seduction and subversion, starts a very long way away from anyone worth subverting and indeed is primarily surrounded by daemons and undead he can only kill.

all according to keikaku

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd say Tamurkhan is pretty much a given IMO

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
tam is a lock, the dlc is named after his minicampaign

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

ninjahedgehog posted:

And, more importantly, he rides a gigantic disgusting freak that I'm sure the art team is dying to animate

I hope they don't 1:1 copy the terrible join/assembly of that tail, it's so jarring

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nurgle will probably get

Tamurkhan

Nurgle Chaos Lord

Plague Ogres

Bile Trolls

Pestigors

I think Blightkings might have a decent chance.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grumio posted:

I hope they don't 1:1 copy the terrible join/assembly of that tail, it's so jarring

I'm more taken aback by those four little distinct bases, what the hell is that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nurgle has a big hole in their roster so I think it's time they balance it out by giving them a lot of fast, hard-hitting units

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Cythereal posted:

Ya, that area is entirely setup to be dominated by skaven. Outside of Malagor, they're the only faction in that area that can jump between the mountain ranges. If WElves ever got off their rear end and went after them, you might have a throw down, but their AI is far too passive to deal with that map (and completely loving busted as a player). Needs some dwarf or similar order faction to gently caress with them, and even then its only a maybe. If Eshin and Ikit make friends, everyone in the area is just dead.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Rolling through the human lands as beastmen, eating skaven along the way, festus best palls

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
realtalk and far in the future but for 40k or w/e comes next, they need to use a different engine . For warhammer 1-3 it makes sense they all have to be on the same one as porting it all over would basically just be making a whole new game. Naval combat might never be a thing and that's fine but some features and QoL updates would go a long way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

realtalk and far in the future but for 40k or w/e comes next, they need to use a different engine . For warhammer 1-3 it makes sense they all have to be on the same one as porting it all over would basically just be making a whole new game. Naval combat might never be a thing and that's fine but some features and QoL updates would go a long way.

And if they do anything not future, they need to iterate on 3k. Everything felt so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm more taken aback by those four little distinct bases, what the hell is that

It’s called taking a WHFB model and rebasing it for Sigmar in the silliest way possible

It’s also in the new(ish) studio paint style where everything is hyper contrasted to display all the detail for the photos instead of painted like you’d want your model to look.

E: he looks way better muted

But you can’t save the aforementioned tail joint

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 12, 2024