Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Marketing is stupid bullshit and I have no respect for for a job made to sell art rather than make it.

Nepo babies aren’t inherently bad people but it is a systemic problem that people who don’t already know someone who knows someone has a significantly harder time breaking into an artistic career they’re passionate about.

Judging Dakota Johnson for poo poo her parents did is loving stupid.

Thanks for reading my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I respect people editing trailers bc trailers can own.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Judging Dakota Johnson for poo poo her parents did is loving stupid.

But Dakota directly benefited from her father's creepy, border-line predatory behavior by being born as a result of it! Pretty hosed up IMO

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Nepo babies aren’t inherently bad people

ehhhhhhh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish my daddy could get my movie made :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

I watched an interview with barry keoghan the other day, because I'd just seen Killing of a Sacred Deer and I was like "huh might be interesting how do you behave like such a convincing little freak, like as a performative skill"

Turns out he doesn't he's just a little freak. They start rolling and he's just like that human being wise

Got punched in the throat by a tiny methhead once and similar vibes

Barry grew up in foster care because his mother was a heroin addict (who died when he was a teen, at which point he was raised by his gran). Knowing the area he's from in Dublin, it's kind of miraculous that he isn't in jail or dead by now. If I walked through some of those flats I would fully expect somebody to try and rob or fight me.

He might be an oddball, but he's the anti-nepo baby for sure

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Used to be, an aspiring actor could move out to New York or LA and support themselves with a part time job while they did auditions and rehearsals and so on. Nowadays, the rent is too drat high. Nobody can pay rent in either of those cities working one part time job. So the most realistic options are having an immediate in to the industry through your family, or having rich family who can support you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

These days you have to be insane to want to work in movies lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Minority Report was hurt by forced comedy. War of the Worlds is hurt by the little girl being more of an alien than the aliens. Did Spielberg forget how to write comedy or children after JP1?

The movie got better when the girl was too traumatized to talk much. Seriously, the last 20-30- minutes of the film are my favorite by far.

I think Collateral will be next just to see Cruise in a totally different role if what I've heard of the film is accurate.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Collateral rules

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hate to break it to ya, but the kids in JP always sucked

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Collateral rules

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

So Minority Report was hurt by forced comedy. War of the Worlds is hurt by the little girl being more of an alien than the aliens. Did Spielberg forget how to write comedy or children after JP1?

The movie got better when the girl was too traumatized to talk much. Seriously, the last 20-30- minutes of the film are my favorite by far.

I think Collateral will be next just to see Cruise in a totally different role if what I've heard of the film is accurate.

Spielberg wrote neither JP nor Minority Report. As a rule he doesn’t write, just direct. he co-wrote Fabelmans but other r than that don’t think he writes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Spielberg wrote neither JP nor Minority Report. As a rule he doesn’t write, just direct. he co-wrote Fabelmans but other r than that don’t think he writes.

He had a lot he needed to say about his hot mom.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Just got out of Lisa Frankenstein and thought it was great. What most saw as derivative I saw as deconstructive. This is a movie that criticizes goth culture in a way that only could have come from someone who lived it. Diablo Cody is a good writer gently caress everyone who says she isn’t.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Collateral rules

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly it’s not hard to write kids that are likable. People forget what it’s like to be a kid and also just loathe being around them too much so they up their annoyance.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Kids would actually probably be annoying in high stress situations like an alien invasion or dinosaur chase. They need attention and just aren’t going to make the best decisions.

Kids are fine in JP though as annoying a grumpy Sam Neil is fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wrote kids in my feature the way we treated cops as teens. A threat but one we have to deal with as tactically as we can. Run, hide, and keep moving lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I’m a weird paranoid little freak and the whole madame web/dakota johnson promo thing has gotten to the point where I’m idly wondering if it’s a work, like there already were rumblings internally that the movie was going to be dogshit so someone in marketing had the bright idea to just lean in to superhero fatigue and the belief that actors are slumming it being in these movies.

Also on an entirely unrelated note I decided to pop my lanthimos cherry by going to see Poor Things and god drat, feel like I got hit by a truck with that one

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TreyStokes/status/1756350497269641354?t=eJa8nfP3kGBVRX_V6SyIEg&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1756356748842324454?t=RhEk4RCnH_T5rv-RK8A2cQ&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

I was trying to google that actor who went to prison for buying her kid a scholarship or whatever and I found a really goddamn weird website and got very distracted

https://www.nepodb.com/people/1981/maya-hawke

You were probably thinking of Felicity Huffman, who I loved on the TV show Sports Night.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
Playing a lot of Cine2Nerdle got me in the mood to watch some movies, so here's some quick reactions/comments:

Attack the Block (2011) - Really well-paced, well-crafted movie. The very quick scenes of them arming themselves by returning home told you everything you needed to know (and probably suspected) about their home life, and I loved the reveal at the end that Boyega's character was only 15 years old. I appreciated how the way they were all desperate to be treated as adults was a consequence of poverty and systemic racism, and I liked how it used light humor to approach those subjects. The final scene with Boyega's first genuine smile in the whole film spoke volumes as well.

The Skin I live In (2011) - I used this one a lot in C2N to line up an Antonio Banderas winning stroke so I figured I'd check it out. This sure was a violent film, but in a very clinical and dispassionate way. I liked the way Banderas interacted with the screens, and it felt like from early on in the film it was all going to end in violence one way or another, and it did. I dunno, I didn't make much of the imprisonment/sexual identity themes, but as a portrait of a massive weirdo it was very effective.

Crimewave (1985) - Someone played this against me and when I viewed the cast list it showed Sam Raimi and the Cohens. Now this I gotta see! I wouldn't call it top shelf Raimi but I really loved the vibe because it's Raimi. I just love his vibe. And it reminded me that I haven't watched the Evil Dead trilogy since I was a teenager so I should probably do something about that.

Ambulance (2022) - Michael Bay is one of my favorite filmmakers and I missed seeing this one when it was released. I think a good half of his scripts are bad but his technical prowess is frankly astonishing. How does he do those visuals? I don't know how to describe it exactly but, like, cars in a Bay movie are always brilliantly glossy and his lighting is always perfect. Does he use the same cinematographer every time? How does it even work between a director and a cinematographer anyway, like does he just tell them to "make it look like my other movies?" I mean, I know that's not how it works, but every one of his scenes is crafted so precisely, with the angles and the blocking, it's like everything that needs to be in the scene is there and nothing that doesn't need to be there isn't. If that makes sense.

As for the movie itself, yeah it was really good. I wouldn't say he was restraining himself exactly, there was no real evidence of that, but it was a smaller movie, I guess? Great Jake Gyllenhaal performance too. It was a bit odd how (spoiler since it's still pretty new) the main cop guy died so suddenly and with such little focus, almost like he was offscreen.

When I got a good 4K TV a while ago I decided to christen it with 6 Underground, and that movie looked absolutely incredible too. Earlier in this thread there was some chat about how critical Bay is of the US, and I think this movie is the most critical or frustrated he's ever been. There's a scene near the end where Reynolds's character calls out one of his gadgets failing because it was "made in America" or something like that, and I remember thinking at that moment, "huh," and I think I understood the whole movie a bit better.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
i made a madame web thread for all the hot of the presses madame web information for us superfans!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054034

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What I don't understand is why Hollywood wants to put Australians in movies so bad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You know those scenes in movies where the lights are off and the main character is wondering if there’s a monster or not and when the lights come back on he’s surrounded by monsters

That’s what it’s like to google how many Hollywood actors are Australian

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I found a copy of Film Noir: An Encyyclopedic Refernce to the American Style. Interesting book.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nepotism isn't so much the problem itself as the symptom of a problem (i.e. that it's increasingly impossible to get your foot in the door unless you have enough money that you can afford to be unemployed or working low-paid jobs for long periods of time.) Which is a problem with modern capitalism in general but also the arts in specific, etc. I don't begrudge any of the individuals their success.

Dakota Johnson I kinda like because I'm one of a handful of people who watched the six-week-or-so run of Ben and Kate, a fun little sitcom where she was cute and funny and held her own alongside Nat Faxon and Lucy Punch. Also the Suspiria remake was good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I also first discovered Dakota Johnson via Ben and Kate. It was a good show! And she’s great in Suspiria 2018 aka the best movie of 2018

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Saw the Beekeeper, in which the titular Beekeepers big power are arson and cutting off bad guys fingers.

Zero-calorie action flick that's pretty 'eh' but just enjoyable just enough. Really missing more character actors/interesting assassins to fluff it out – and they imply a larger underground organization of "beekeepers" that they never super dig into. Really puts into focus how good John Wick is. Main villain being a mix of Justin Timberlake, Trump Jr. and Hunter Biden is fun.

Movie ends with Stathom loving off into the ocean with zero follow up on the finale events, and that's just great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Steve Yun posted:

You know those scenes in movies where the lights are off and the main character is wondering if there’s a monster or not and when the lights come back on he’s surrounded by monsters

That’s what it’s like to google how many Hollywood actors are Australian
It's horrible!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Movie ends with Stathom loving off into the ocean with zero follow up on the finale events, and that's just great.

A lot of the movie reminded me of the newer Hitman games and that moment absolutely sealed it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

A lot of the movie reminded me of the newer Hitman games and that moment absolutely sealed it.

Okay I'm sold

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's not laugh out loud bad or truly great, but if you want an easy action flick, it's good enough.

Other bits I enjoyed:

- We never see The Beekeeper react to having his personal bee hives get smashed. That's not the main reason for his vengeance quest, but that it goes entirely uncommented on is a great omission.

- He cuts multiple people's fingers off. At first I thought he was using them to id the people, but later in the flick it just seems like something he does.

- Lots and lots of lines about 'Killing the Queen' only for the movie to deliver a Queen but not kill her. It's probably better for it, but certainly felt like that might have been where it originally went.

- Loved that the secret Beekeepers association he's a part of sends one assassin and then goes "eh, gently caress this" and disappears from the movie.

- To reiterate - at no point does he use bees to kill anyone. There's never any bees flying around him, he's just a tough guy arsonist that loves bee puns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh poo poo, I’m watching a movie that I didn’t think had Whoopi Goldberg in it, but it turns out it has Whoopi Goldberg in it! What a nice surprise.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gripweed posted:

Oh poo poo, I’m watching a movie that I didn’t think had Whoopi Goldberg in it, but it turns out it has Whoopi Goldberg in it! What a nice surprise.

I don't think anyone has ever said this before

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
lol Super Bowl on Nickelodeon has cartoon characters doing commentary and reporting

https://x.com/popbase/status/1756844877403603394?s=46

https://x.com/jetsethan/status/1756840736795009419?s=46

https://x.com/popbase/status/1756849390856335740?s=46

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also has none of the gambling ads so it's probably the superior feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't think anyone has ever said this before

I love Whoopi Goldberg. Between Sister Act and Star Trek The Next Generation, Whoopi Goldberg featured prominently in my childhood.

Do people not like Whoopi Goldberg? What’s wrong with them?